What's new

SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH HEMP RUSSET MITES! PLEASE HELP!

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Hey ya'll, at a project I am frequently at there is a serious problem. Hemp Russet Mites. I've searched and searched and there is barely any info on them anywhere. THey are TINY and look like larva and straight up eat the buds leaves everything leaving a bronzeish dust and destruction.

Does anyone have any info on this? It has ruined multiple harvests for multiple friends.

EDIT: Pics are straight from Google

picture.php

picture.php

Please help a brother out

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
That really sucks. Here are some predator mites that could do the trick for you:

Galendromus Occidentalis is a very versatile mite predator and tolerates high temperatures low and high humidity (40-85%) well, both indoors and out. Does best in warm weather (80° to 110° F). Tolerates low humidity of inland valleys. Does not do well in cool coastal areas. Goes into diapause (hibernation) in colder temperatures. Recommended for greenhouses only if plants are maintained as low as 40% relative humidity. It is native to California and has ben researched for spider mite control in almonds, grapes, and many other ornamentals and plants. This predator is well adapted for outdoor use and can perform in hot situations where humidity remains above 40%. Use G. occidentalis to control spider mites, two spotted mites, Russet mites, and others on gardens, greenhouses, and orchards of all types. Adults eat 1-3 pest adults or up to 6 pest eggs/day. Release rates indoors, 2-3/sq. ft. bi-weekly, 1-2 applications; outdoors, 5,000-20,000/acre, bi-weekly, 1-2 applications.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Thanks for the fast response. I will look into getting some of the predators. I wonder if floramite would work for these little bastards? I'm terrified I'm gonna bring home into my own garden.

Was also thinking of a pyrthium(spell?) bomb err or some kind of bomb. Any recommendations? How about a dip for clones?

Snype

Veteran
Thanks for the fast response. I will look into getting some of the predators. I wonder if floramite would work for these little bastards? I'm terrified I'm gonna bring home into my own garden.

Was also thinking of a pyrthium(spell?) bomb err or some kind of bomb. Any recommendations? How about a dip for clones?
Everything that I've heard about your mites said it is really hard to get rid of. That's all that I can suggest to you but maybe someone else will be more familiar with them. Everything else that I've read about them said that that Neem, Florimite and all the other stuff didn't work. Good luck with that and I hope that I don't ever see that in my garden ever. That shit looks scary.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Haha those are straight from google, not personal pictures! That is a nasty infection going on in the pics.

I've been reading about the tomato russet mite and apparently wettable sulfur in a spray is very effective, do you think it would be as effective on the hemp russet mite also?

Snype

Veteran
Haha those are straight from google, not personal pictures! That is a nasty infection going on in the pics.

I've been reading about the tomato russet mite and apparently wettable sulfur in a spray is very effective, do you think it would be as effective on the hemp russet mite also?
It's possible but you'll have to try it out and see what happens. I've personally never had what you have and I hope that I never do. Sorry I can't be of more help.

dread

Veteran
take 50 gr of strong tobbacco,a few garlicbuds & 5 hot fresh red peppers

chop it up,boil 10 min in 1.5 l water,cool down & filter it
than spray your plants

spray them again with clear tapwater after 15 min to rinse them a littlebit

that should kill the little mofo's
grtz
D.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Anybody else dealing with these? I kept telling my bro that it was a deficiency causing the damage, until I looked with a 30x scope.

Please some help from the pros! Stitch??

Harvest

i would start fighting now in anyway you can. I would find a good foliar spray that you likeand use it on the regular to fight, i use spray safe from head masta, but you can look into other stuff that will help with these bastards specifically, but start there, then drop some bombs. maybe 2 a week to get things going, pyrethein or doctor doom whatever works. then just be super careful about changing your clothes and washing hands, ya know get a sterilization program going from when you leave your boys gardens and head to yours. Treat this as a bio hazard.

azatrol works well - certified organic for vegetable production
i mix azatrol with a little neem oil - and a product my friends sell called DR. DORIGHTS
this works on mites and powdery mildew

but then again i haven't dealt with russet mites

P

Paco

Ha! Ha!.
Tmv again. lol.
Your buddy is going to have to alternate between a heavy sulfur spray with a sicking agent and a few insecticidal soaps. To avoid the mites build up or tolerance. Hopefully the mites will move on from his garden. He also needs to look for other host species of plant for the mite near his home. and treat them. Good luck.

GanjaPharma

i was called to a patients grow to confirm that they did indeed have russet mites. they said the "rust" they thought was some kind of scale, looked like these russet mite things from the interwebs. in the weeks before they called me they had applied floramite once in veg once 3 weeks later on day 1 of flowering), azamax, and they use a sulfur burner. and a spray wash with safers soap 2 days before i got there.
under the scope, 4 legs and tiny white worm looking things. google images (not many out there yet) was super helpful.
put the PNW on the list of infected zones for this evil bastard.
after going out there, and seeing the "rust" i couldnt believe they were so tiny, i had trouble distinguishing motion or anything even with a loupe.

soooo....after i got home/ stripped naked and scrubbed with long handled brushes by guys in hazmat suits....

i find that the one or two images, and pretty much every bit of info out there are all from GW pharmaceutical guys, Mcpartland, clark, and watson.
who wrote a really nice little book calledhttp://www.scribd.com/doc/52880514/Hemp-Diseases-and-Pests-Management-and-Biological-Control-Mc-Partland-R-C-Clarke-D-P-Watson-2000

the only good news in there (page 30?29?) is a bit about how high concentrations of CO2 seem effective at 2 hours, vs the 12 hours required for spider miterfuckers.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Selfhemployed love the name by the way :)

That looks and sound exactly like what i was experiencing up until recently. I thought it was tomato russet mites after i torched my room once thinking it was a rust mold of some type.

just reporting back that i did have these rust mites and they were successfully treated with a combination of neem oil, lavender FPE, Dr. Bronners soap, and a dash of kelp meal. Plants look and smell great and It seems to knock those little things out.

My plants have been clear of any signs for a few weeks now, but at firs i was spraying them every 4 or 5 day. I've got to spray again and after that i'll be doing regular spraying. So far it seems to be working. No more die back, no more tiny little white f--kers on my plants.

Good luck to whoever has them.

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Forbid
Floramite
Azamax

I'd get those three, and keep hitting them in a consecutive order. Couple Dr. Doom Bombs.

Drop the temp as low as possible.

Scary.

elbarracho

Have you looked under magnification to ensure they are all dead? I thought I had them whipped only for them to surge during the last three weeks of flower. I estimate they caused at least 50 % loss. Wettable sulfur is what I have observed as most effective.

sirjoepye

Does anybody have any pics of the actual damage to budsites....trying to id some damage and i think these plants are infected by the russets but i dont have a scope. But ive really never seen 50-70 percent loss on any full grown plant by any other pest/disease....pleaase help

highonmt

Veteran
Does anybody have any pics of the actual damage to budsites....trying to id some damage and i think these plants are infected by the russets but i dont have a scope. But ive really never seen 50-70 percent loss on any full grown plant by any other pest/disease....pleaase help

I will take some bud shots for ya here is the damage that is typical.
broadmites.jpg

These things suck you can't see em till there are millions in yer room and they start killing so you can't tell when they come back
AND they have a life cycle of 1 week...which means they blow up like wildfire. I am done with this stuff shutting down and sterilizing and waiting 2 months and sterilizing agian before a pop another bean. These make Root aphids seem pleasant...anyone had luck getting them gone.
HM