What's new

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

oldog

BagseedSamurai: Spoken like a true warrior in search of truth.
" mob mentality "zOMG TMV!" currently existing. "
I had tired of this thread but came back and read a few back pages.

I wrote a post begging for some Wikis but I think they are afraid
of a loss of traffic on the site. Traffic will come like flies if there is useful info here. Content is everything on any website. More moderators - facilitators- suggesters. There should be no home on earth that is not growing weed. Show them how IC Mag.
Cheers

halitzor

Should I be concerned about the edges of my leaves curling up like this?

WW clones obtained from a douchebag.

Attachments

• DSC02438.JPG
    DSC02438.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC02439.JPG
    DSC02439.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC02440.JPG
    DSC02440.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 13
  • P6120036
    P6120036
    62 KB · Views: 37
Props for bringing some common sense to the issue. People like to blame their piss poor plants on a virus rather than more obvious issues... I think its much easier to say, that is TMV, than actually diagnose their plant properly: ie: it could be a combination of overwatering, lack of oxygen to roots, ph fluctuation, temperature problems, root rot, overly alkaline medium from municipal water supply, improper ec, buildup of salts in medium, incorrect ratios of micro and macro nutrients in feed solution, improper application of nutrients, environmental inadequacies(high humidity, heat, lack of airflow, improper mimicking of natural tendencies), or about 10 million other things or combination of things that are causing your plant to die off LOL.
I really can't hold my tongue much longer on this issue. I see what the issue here is, and it gives a gardener every right to be paranoid but I think this has gone overboard. If you go simply by the pictures and warnings of the thread, I would estimate that over 90% of the plants we have all grown would be diagnosed with TMV (in error), ripped up and discarded. I am wondering how many people posting pictures of their supposed Mosaic infection have actually gone to a lab and had it tested, or even gotten a home test to see if their gardens are actually infected. Most of what I have seen while looking closely at the pictures on this thread are deficiencies, pests or something other than TMV that is usually curable or at least treatable.

So not only do I think a lot of posters here are misdiagnosing, but I think this thread itself is going to scare every new grower we get here into thinking their microdeficiency or pH foible is a case of Tobacco Mosaic in which they tear up and restart. I even got cought up in it, thinking my Applejack had it.

We need to look more clearly at this issue and focus on actual data that we have which, at this point, is very little. We have data on TMV and how it effects tomatos and tobacco and perhaps a few other plants, but species to species, a virus not only can change M.O. but probably has due to the irregularities in DNA. So what do we know? Not much, obviously, or we wouldn't have this mob mentality "zOMG TMV!" currently existing.

We know the virus exists, and can infect a variety of plantlife, including cannabis. We do not, however, understand the vectors enough to figure out how a cannabis plant might actually acquire the virus. This is plain from the idea that a plant can catch a virus from simple contact. Even smoking in the same room with cannabis is a vector, so says the thread. This is not the case. Normally, life on this planet carries defenses which help stop infections such as bacterium or virii. The most common and often most powerful defense is a simple "sheath" around the squishy parts that protect them from harm. In humans, we call this skin. Plants have similar defenses which indicate to me that simple contact with an infectious organism would not be enough for a plant, under normal conditions, to become infected. If this were the case, human beings could get AIDS from hugging. As we know, we cannot. I suggest a more accurate assessment that vectors must pierce these defenses somehow in order to become infectious. Plants do not have mucous membranes like we do, so I would say root mass is vulnerable under some conditions, and open wounds such as those caused by insects could invite an infection. Granted, direct contact may be a vector but there is evidence on this very thread of such things being tested and found wanting.

So does smoking around a cannabis plant give it TMV? Probably not. Not unless you are smoking around a mother you just took cuttings from. The reason why it is said not to smoke around them is the fact that the smoke is carcinogenic, and that it chokes stomata which would slow growth. I am a smoker, and every time I smoke a cigarette, I wash my hands. Mainly for cleanliness but also to keep from putting nicotine on my plants. If someone can successfully prove a vector as simply as tobacco smoke, I would like to see that and I think the cannabis community would do well with some real, solid data on this.

I don't know, I just think that this is blowing out of proportion. I swear if I see another fucking epidemic, I might check out. Haha..

i have grown various plants which carry a mosaic virus it seems as long as conditions are good and plants are well cared for it really causes no issues. under stress it shows much more and causes problems imo. many clones going around cali have it.

never killed or restarted because of mosaic virus many great ogs have it still worth growing imo.

correction: i have killed stressed clones that had it(mosaic) overtake them too much. strong plants never.

TNJed

I've unfortunately seen plants that look like every picture in these posts. A grow partner and I struggled with what Wandering Roman was trying to explain. It got so bad that we scrapped the whole grow, got rid of all plants, got new lights, new containers, new soil, new utensils,scrubbed the walls and floors, ect.

After doing all that it still wasn't gone, my buddy ended up selling his place and moving, he bought all new stuff again and started over like he never grown in his life, new spot and all. Everything is great now.

I searched the net at the time and read everything I possibly could about virus's, diseases, pathogens, ect, ect. What I think happened in our situation is we put some plants outside and after they vegged and got big we took some cuts off them and brought them into our grow, real dumb mistake and a lesson learned.

I live in farm land, like Sam said about the insects being vectors is what I thought happened to us, I think an insect gave something to our plants, not sure what it was but we called it the plague lol, it was the worse thing ever.

Them immature bud pics of WR's are horrid, what happens is sometimes the plant can be totally healthy and grow nice with no symptoms then all of a sudden a few weeks into flowering all your buds turn brownish tan, the hairs wither, and you get NO trichome coverage, period. Your grow is done from that point on, no added weight, no crystals, no new hairs, nothing...your toast.

I think this "thing" i'm talkin about is a whole different beast then the mosaic problems 99% of growers talk about with the little leaf crinkle and molted patterns. I have plants that produce the mosaic like mentioned alot of the Chems, OG's, Kushes, White, ect, do that, but you still have successful grows and it really isn't an issue. Thats what seperates it IMO.

I just hope I never see the PLAGUE again lol!!!!!

I struggled w/ the same thing when growing in the house where my ex-wife and I lived. Could not get rid of it no matter what I did...and it was most definately contagious. When we split up, I ordered a bunch of new seeds, sterilized all of my gear, and didn't see it again...until now. I noticed a bit of thrip damage awhile back and sprayed Neem oil accordingly. Shortly after that the plants suffered some stress from some environmental factors that I quickly fixed....well, earlier today I noticed that old, familiar leaf crinkle/hook pattern. Closer examination revealed some yellowing w/ the mosaic pattern.
I'm trying not to panic, but I don't live somewhere that I can easily replace my mothers. If I have to scrap my beloved Death Star, for example, she will simply be gone. It's been over three years since I finally got rid of this shit. I could almost cry.

TNJed

I would like to ask a serious question to WANDERING ROMAN if you are back and to any one else....
I have said in a previous post about all top breeders stuff i have run, have shown some sign of Mosaic Virus. 1, 2 & 3 type.
All of the plants did show signs during slight stress, but as far as i can see i have never had a crop or a run RUINED by MV's.
I completely understand all points raised about breeding stock not spreading the Virus and being aware of it, but

"HOW SERIOUS IS IT REALLY. HAS ANYONE'S CROP EVER BEEN RUINED, HALTED or EVEN STOPPED BECAUSE OF MV / TMV"

This is a serious question and i would like to know what you lot think, plus i hope i have not ruined the thread lol :)
I don't think you should spend loads of money on beans, pop them, love them and then throw them because of white,bend leaf curl"and other symptoms...
i got a 400w i am micro, so when i am committed i can't cull them mang :)

If it is more severe and i am wrong, please chime in.....
I am smoking dank right now that came from my StrawberryD that had a slight tmv'ish leaf and it is super friggin dooper.....

100% Respect is due

keep this thread alive.. i will bring some pics soon

I can tell you for a fact that the virus (yes, it is definately a virus) that WR was talking about destroys crops in a big way. It's extremely contagious, and it ain't no joke. No joke at all.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

Whether its from tobacco or cucumbers or the mosiac virus fairy, "the trait" is real and it does spread.
Ive not personally lost any crops to it but maybe ive just been lucky, too.

TNJed

ok so i got a few pictures taken earlier today and i'm not 100% sure without proper tissue analysis that this IS TMV but i'm just gonna let the pictures speak for them selves.....

first is by far the worst infected plant its a gurilla gold X freezland f2
at first i thought it was bud rot but it's not smelly and most of all its dry to the touch so that rules out that one..

picture.php

picture.php

its so dry you could smoke it.....but i woulden't

next is a prophet i had vegging for 2+ months.......

weird yellow growth with almost a transparent powder on the inner leafs...

picture.php

and a branch with the new growth yellow/brown almost looking necrotic

picture.php

and lastly my blueberryXNL

she has the least so far but its still there and it still worries me...

picture.php

*note the leaf curling*

and then these damm squiggles

picture.php

i fully sprayed the girls with neem oil with a drop or 2 of dish soap to act as the wetting agent.......through the info posted in this thread i was able to asses that the "vectors" thrips carry the virus snd i noticed a couple buzzing around , so i decided to try and stop the spreading and cover the plants with a nice coating of neem hopefully that gets rid of some of the thrips...gonna go out and get some sticky tape and get some in the room ........

* if anybody has any idea if this could possibly be for sure a virus if not the tmv virus or some toxicity in my soil causing this please let me know........**

thanks in advance:wave:

You have what WR and I are referring to. I don't know if it's "TMV", but it is definately a contagious virus of some sort. It's NOT a cal/mag issue, or the result of ph fluctuation. I dealt with it 3 or 4years ago, when there wasn't much info. out there. It took over and ruined every plant I brought into my grow room. I finally moved, sanitized my gear, and started with all new stock. Now, after having some thrip damage, it has returned. I knew it as soon as I saw it. I'm scrapping all of my plants and scrubbing my entire grow area down w/ Physan 20 and that "pool shock" stuff that WR was referring to. It is real, and it is the fucking plague. This couldn't have come at a worse time for me, and I'm scared to death that I can't eradicate it because there is no way I can afford to move....and growing ganja is my life. My heart hurts.

Ive seen growth 'halted' or 'stopped' because of the virus. It depends at what point a grower will consider the crop 'ruined'. It is a serious problem....

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
^^^

Hello Grayskull my brother!

Yes, it looks like you do have the "trait". Same thing manifested in my NL5 x BB and SK1 x BB and now all are gone.

Seems like Blueberry dominant strains are more prone to develop the problem since my Sat dom plant (WW x Bubblegum) was pretty much immune.

Much useful info has been given here and I am surprised more folks are not interested.

You take care now!

OR

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what up OR

the guy we got the D from said when he was given the cut he was told that it also carried TMV, and that some university had run some tests or whatever.

i know i havent seen the university study but ive sure as hell seen this trait thing move from one plant to another... crazy

i still love the D though and hopefully will be keeping her in my garden for a long long time

Latest posts

Latest posts