What's new

Monsanto Going to Trial for Crimes Against Humanity

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Some GMO tomatoes for your viewing pleasure...

Considered the most tasty and stinky tomato varieties in the world, Garden Gem and Garden Treasure. Gas chromatography was used to select the desired flavors and scents of the tomato...

Not available for public sale, you have to donate money to the University of Florida Horticulture department to acquire these...

these are about 2 weeks old from seed, ready to be transplanted outdoors...

View Image

Are you really a fool or do you just play one on the internet?

There is a huge difference between selective breeding and the genetic modification that Monsanto is doing.

GMO plants are plants that have been genetically spliced with the DNA of a completely unrelated organism.

In the case of GMO corn the corn has been spliced with the DNA of a soil bacteria that is resistant to the Round Up herbicide and that is lethal to bugs.

There is nothing wrong with selective breeding, but there is a whole lot wrong on the ethical level of splicing DNA of plants to animals, bacteria, bugs etc..

The tomato varieties you listed are not even fucking GMO.

I suggest you go hide your head in shame before we pelt you with rotten tomatoes and banish you to the short bus.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Some education for the idiot

by Ric Bessin, Extension Entomologist
University of Kentucky College of Agriculture

Bt-corn is a type of genetically modified organism, termed GMO. A GMO is a plant or animal that has been genetically modified through the addition of a small amount of genetic material from other organisms through molecular techniques. Currently, the GMOs on the market today have been given genetic traits to provide protection from pests, tolerance to pesticides, or improve its quality. Examples of GMO field crops include Bt-potatoes, Bt-corn, Bt-sweet corn, Roundup Ready soybeans, Roundup Ready Corn, and Liberty Link corn.

Genetically modified foods are foods derived from GMO crops. For example, corn produced through biotechnology is being used in many familiar foods, including corn meal and tortilla chips. In addition, corn is used to make high fructose corn syrup, which is used as a sweetener in many foods such as soft drinks and baked goods. While the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) regulates genetically modified foods, it considers Bt-corn to be nutritionally equivalent to traditional corn.

To transform a plant into a GMO plant, the gene that produces a genetic trait of interest is identified and separated from the rest of the genetic material from a donor organism. Most organisms have thousands of genes, a single gene represents only a tiny fraction of the total genetic makeup of an organism.

A donor organism may be a bacterium, fungus or even another plant. In the case of Bt corn, the donor organism is a naturally occurring soil bacterium, Bacillus thuringiensis, and the gene of interest produces a protein that kills Lepidoptera larvae, in particular, European corn borer. This protein is called the Bt delta endotoxin. Growers use Bt corn as an alternative to spraying insecticides for control of European and southwestern corn borer.

coldcanna

Veteran
db10_fig4.gif

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db10.htm
Maybe you'd rather take your information from the CDC? Incase you didn't know, GM food started hitting the market in 1994 which is strangely ironic time. If you take a look at the linked article you can see that between 1997-2007 the rates of children with food allergies went up 18%. Of the 8 foods responsible for these allergies wheat and soy (2 main gm products of monsanto) and milk (rBGH is also a monsanto product) are notable additions. So your absolutely correct that there is not a large body of science with direct links to side effects, but a reasonable interpretation of aggregate trends should at least amount to suspicion that would warrant such studies. That is the problem that most of us have, is that the revolving door of monsanto execs into the FDA and EPA and the tens of millions of dollars they spend lobbying, for such causes as blocking laws that mandate labeling food as gmo, make it so that the government has not done thorough enough tests to make us feel comfortable. Almost any product meant for human consumption undergoes massive testing first, but their money and influence have allowed them to go around these preventative measures.

Second, in matters unrelated to the gmo debate. Monsanto is listed on 40 EPA superfund sites just in america, that's not even beginning to look at their global history. They were the largest producer of PCBs before they were illegal and also made agent orange for use in vietnam.

You made a point that nobody would care if it weren't for Google and the likes of Netflix. That's a fantastic point and I agree whole heartedly. Because before these modern methods of information exchange we had to rely of FOX and CNN. So I'm sorry if you and Sean Hannity aren't up on it, you probably think Edward Snowden is a terrorist and coal is the future of energy too.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I explained why they are harmful. It is because of the herbicides associated with them.

"GMOs increase herbicide use.
Most GM crops are engineered to be “herbicide tolerant”―they deadly weed killer. Monsanto, for example, sells Roundup Ready crops, designed to survive applications of their Roundup herbicide.

Between 1996 and 2008, US farmers sprayed an extra 383 million pounds of herbicide on GMOs. Overuse of Roundup results in “superweeds,” resistant to the herbicide. This is causing farmers to use even more toxic herbicides every year. Not only does this create environmental harm, GM foods contain higher residues of toxic herbicides. Roundup, for example, is linked with sterility, hormone disruption, birth defects, and cancer.

2. GMOs harm the environment.
GM crops and their associated herbicides can harm birds, insects, amphibians, marine ecosystems, and soil organisms. They reduce bio-diversity, pollute water resources, and are unsustainable. For example, GM crops are eliminating habitat for monarch butterflies, whose populations are down 50% in the US. Roundup herbicide has been shown to cause birth defects in amphibians, embryonic deaths and endocrine disruptions, and organ damage in animals even at very low doses. GM canola has been found growing wild in North Dakota and California, threatening to pass on its herbicide tolerant genes on to weeds."

All information comes from somewhere. Google is no less credible than a library.
Critical thinking skills are always necessary .

The point you are trying to make is moronic.

You didnt explain anything, you quoted something from a website that is biased..

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Monsanto is NOT going on trial for crimes against nature & humanity.

“Monsanto on trial for crimes against nature and humanity,” a headline for The Ecologist declared on Sunday. Other fringe websites reported similar news of the so-called International Monsanto Tribune set to take place in the Hague, the seat of Dutch government, in October of next year. Thus far, no mainstream media has reported on the plan, because it’s not a real trial.

Nevertheless, the group organizing the tribunal is doing its best to paint the event as a legitimate trial. The tribunal, the group’s website explains, will rely on “the ‘Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights’ adopted at the UN in 2011,” and “assess potential criminal liability on the basis of the Rome Statue (sic) that created the International Criminal Court in The Hague in 2002.”

While the verbiage sounds official, this tribunal is not governed by the United Nations nor the International Criminal Court, an international treaty-based court not affiliated with the UN. Instead, the group is using the guidelines of both for their trial, in a seeming attempt to lend authenticity to a glorified meeting of the who’s who of anti-biotech science deniers, during which they will undoubtedly find their absent defendant guilty.

Most of the tribunal leaders have one thing in common: they are part of organic movement special interests, and they all demonize creators of Genetically Modified Organisms. These crops created with modern molecular genetic engineering are better known as “GMOs”–a scientifically arbitrary term, because the vast majority of foods we consume, even organic foods, have had their genomes altered in the field or in a lab with techniques ranging from well-known selective breeding to lesser-known wide cross hybridization, which unnaturally “forces” organisms of different species or genera to produce offspring.

Consumers who pay the huge premium for organic foods tend to shell out because they’re afraid of ingredients created with modern molecular engineering, which are prohibited in organic farming. Many of these consumers also fear pesticides, unaware that organic farming uses pesticides too.

To raise the €1 million needed to finance the trial, the Monsanto Tribunal Foundation is using online crowd funding. You can make a donation on MonsantoTribunal.org’s website.

so somebody's trying to raise a million bucks via crowd funding. now I get it.......

I'm NOT saying that Monsanto is right, they are not, but if any of you has sent these fuckers any money I got a bridge I think you'd be willing to buy from me.

matt11

I read that they were/are/going to genetically modify cannabis. dont know if that's good or bad. I mean they could probably perfect it so trichome development would increase 10x, same for terpene profile, yield etc...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read that they were/are/going to genetically modify cannabis. dont know if that's good or bad. I mean they could probably perfect it so trichome development would increase 10x, same for terpene profile, yield etc...

except for the lab coats, haven't we been doing that ourselves for decades???

Genghis Kush

"A GMO (genetically modified organism) is the result of a laboratory process where genes from the DNA of one species are extracted and artificially forced into the genes of an unrelated plant or animal. The foreign genes may come from bacteria, viruses, insects, animals or even humans."

FireIn.TheSky

Argentina issued a resolution on April 15 that gives the Agriculture Ministry control of the analysis of seeds in the country, a move that would render obsolete Monsanto’s network of laboratories. To enforce payments, the company is financing several laboratories to detect users of its modified soybeans in Argentine port export shipments.

“Argentina’s position is that the producer must pay for the use of a patented seed and the repeated use; a logical amount must be paid,” Baranao said. "However, the current conflict stems from the payment method Monsanto is trying to apply that needs to be approved by the Agriculture Ministry, and the necessity of having a patented seed, which still isn’t the case.”

Monsanto’s Intacta soybeans are modified to tolerate the application of herbicide and resist insects, offering potentially higher yields. The product was introduced three years ago and is the company’s fastest-growing biotechnology trait.

Space Toker

Veteran
ugh yet another thread... you know the drill by now (got to catch up etc etc etc), great topic and I hope they got convicted as we all know they are guilty.

FireIn.TheSky

I see the travelling troll has found his way to another thread. He won't stop until every Monsanto thread is closed. You guys are just better off to ignore this guy. Conversing with him is like throwing gas on a fire.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
I see the travelling troll has found his way to another thread. He won't stop until every Monsanto thread is closed. You guys are just better off to ignore this guy. Conversing with him is like throwing gas on a fire.

Troll = someone who does not agree with Hiding in the Fire..and calls him out on his propaganda parroting...or baseless rants

did you know you posted in this thread under two different entities?...or just happen to forget that?