What's new

Monsanto Going to Trial for Crimes Against Humanity

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Horizontal gene transfer.

incidentally, GMOs are not created via selective breeding.

cannot stress enough the seriousness of altering forever our food sources and the danger posed by horizontal gene transfer of a poison to our gut flora.

Truth: GM genes can escape into the environment by horizontal gene transfer with potentially serious consequences
Myth at a glance

Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is the movement of genetic material between unrelated species through a mechanism other than reproduction.

It is often claimed that HGT from GM crops into bacteria, animals, or humans is unlikely or of no consequence. But independent scientists have warned that GM genes could escape from GM crops into other organisms through HGT.

HGT from plants into other plants or animals does appear to be a low-frequency event.

However, the routes of HGT that are most likely to occur are DNA uptake by bacteria in the environment or the digestive tract. There is good evidence that the latter has already happened in the intestinal bacteria of humans who eat GM soy.

Other scenarios involving HGT by the pathogenic bacterium A. tumefaciens or by viruses are less probable. But given the wide distribution of GM crops and their intended use over decades, even low probabilities translate into a high likelihood that HGT events will occur. It is just a matter of time.

The negative impacts and risks associated with HGT must be taken into account in considering the overall biosafety of any GM crop.

Most GM contamination incidents occur through cross-pollination, contamination of seed stocks, or failure to segregate GM from non-GM crops after harvest. But for years, scientists have warned that GM genes could also escape from GM crops into other organisms through what is known as horizontal gene transfer (HGT). HGT is the movement of genetic material between individuals through a mechanism other than reproduction. Those individuals could be of the same or a different species. Reproduction, in contrast, is known as vertical gene transfer because the genes are passed down through the generations from parent to offspring within a species or closely related species.

Based on very limited experimental data, HGT from plants into bacteria or multicellular organisms (plants, animals, or fungi) is believed to be rare, although HGT is acknowledged to occur frequently between different species of bacteria and more rarely between higher species by certain mechanisms. The EU-supported website GMO Compass states that HGT from plants to bacteria “can only be demonstrated under optimized laboratory conditions.”1

Gijs Kleter, a member of the European Food Safety Authority’s (EFSA) GMO Panel and for some years an affiliate of the GMO industry-funded group ILSI,2 is among those who have argued that if HGT occurs from commercialized GM plants into gut bacteria, this is unlikely to pose a risk to health.3

There are several mechanisms through which HGT can occur, some of which are more likely than others. HGT via some of these mechanisms occurs easily and frequently in nature. The consequences of HGT from GM crops are potentially serious, yet have not been adequately taken into account by regulators.

The basic mechanisms by which HGT could occur are:

Uptake of GM DNA by bacteria
Uptake of GM DNA from the digestive tract into the tissues of the organism
Transmission of GM DNA via pathogenic bacteria, such as Agrobacterium tumefaciens. The capacity of A. tumefaciens to introduce foreign DNA into plants is often exploited by genetic engineers to introduce GM genes into plants
Gene transfer by viruses.

The following sections outline these mechanisms and provide a perspective on the frequency at which these events can occur, as well as their potential impacts....

more at:

http://earthopensource.org/gmomyths...cteria-higher-organisms-unlikely-consequence/

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Horizontal gene transfer.

incidentally, GMOs are not created via selective breeding.

cannot stress enough the seriousness of altering forever our food sources and the danger posed by horizontal gene transfer of a poison to our gut flora.

Truth: GM genes can escape into the environment by horizontal gene transfer with potentially serious consequences
Myth at a glance

Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is the movement of genetic material between unrelated species through a mechanism other than reproduction.

It is often claimed that HGT from GM crops into bacteria, animals, or humans is unlikely or of no consequence. But independent scientists have warned that GM genes could escape from GM crops into other organisms through HGT.

HGT from plants into other plants or animals does appear to be a low-frequency event.

However, the routes of HGT that are most likely to occur are DNA uptake by bacteria in the environment or the digestive tract. There is good evidence that the latter has already happened in the intestinal bacteria of humans who eat GM soy.

Other scenarios involving HGT by the pathogenic bacterium A. tumefaciens or by viruses are less probable. But given the wide distribution of GM crops and their intended use over decades, even low probabilities translate into a high likelihood that HGT events will occur. It is just a matter of time.

The negative impacts and risks associated with HGT must be taken into account in considering the overall biosafety of any GM crop.

Most GM contamination incidents occur through cross-pollination, contamination of seed stocks, or failure to segregate GM from non-GM crops after harvest. But for years, scientists have warned that GM genes could also escape from GM crops into other organisms through what is known as horizontal gene transfer (HGT). HGT is the movement of genetic material between individuals through a mechanism other than reproduction. Those individuals could be of the same or a different species. Reproduction, in contrast, is known as vertical gene transfer because the genes are passed down through the generations from parent to offspring within a species or closely related species.

Based on very limited experimental data, HGT from plants into bacteria or multicellular organisms (plants, animals, or fungi) is believed to be rare, although HGT is acknowledged to occur frequently between different species of bacteria and more rarely between higher species by certain mechanisms. The EU-supported website GMO Compass states that HGT from plants to bacteria “can only be demonstrated under optimized laboratory conditions.”1

Gijs Kleter, a member of the European Food Safety Authority’s (EFSA) GMO Panel and for some years an affiliate of the GMO industry-funded group ILSI,2 is among those who have argued that if HGT occurs from commercialized GM plants into gut bacteria, this is unlikely to pose a risk to health.3

There are several mechanisms through which HGT can occur, some of which are more likely than others. HGT via some of these mechanisms occurs easily and frequently in nature. The consequences of HGT from GM crops are potentially serious, yet have not been adequately taken into account by regulators.

The basic mechanisms by which HGT could occur are:

Uptake of GM DNA by bacteria
Uptake of GM DNA from the digestive tract into the tissues of the organism
Transmission of GM DNA via pathogenic bacteria, such as Agrobacterium tumefaciens. The capacity of A. tumefaciens to introduce foreign DNA into plants is often exploited by genetic engineers to introduce GM genes into plants
Gene transfer by viruses.

The following sections outline these mechanisms and provide a perspective on the frequency at which these events can occur, as well as their potential impacts....

more at:

http://earthopensource.org/gmomyths...cteria-higher-organisms-unlikely-consequence/

The world is a dynamic place. It's ever changing.

Realistically...

the biggest beef most people have with GMOs is because of one Corporation and the perception that it wants to control the world. I mean... that's what most of the anti GMO posts are about.

Genetically modified organisms are here to stay. It's where the technology is going. That is obvious.

Like all good science...it will be trial and error...until it becomes acceptably safe. Until then...you will have fearful people who can't let go of the past...the same sort who would have put the brakes on a vaccination for measles..would have squashed the idea that man should be able to fly...name it...it has been fought over by people who just can't accept new technology.

The mothers of invention will always battle those who are concerned for the future generations....

corky1968

Veteran
Like all good science...it will be trial and error...until it becomes acceptably safe. Until then...you will have fearful people who can't let go of the past...the same sort who would have put the brakes on a vaccination for measles..would have squashed the idea that man should be able to fly...name it...it has been fought over by people who just can't accept new technology.
Russia is playing with Satan 2 right now.
We're all gonna die.

Russia to test unstoppable 'Satan 2' stealth nuke capable of wiping out an ENTIRE NATION

corky1968

Veteran
I wouldn't abuse my powers.

My 1st order of business would be to tear down all country borders.

Anyone who doesn't like the One World Order can go live on Easter Island.
Only by destroying the borders that divide us can we live long and prosper. "spock"

FireIn.TheSky

Only by destroying the borders that divide us can we live long and prosper. "spock"

Someone's been drinking the Kool aid :puke:

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran

Not me, dude. I'm not interested in a collective humanity....only selective people for my bubble. No high hopes for humanity either...it's just not that impressive. I accept it for what it is.

I'd be on Easter Island....but would negotiate for California.

corky1968

Veteran
I should have never mentioned Easter Island.
Bill Gates is going to buy it and build a ranch there.

BTW: I bet landrace sativas would grow great on there.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Bill Gates and Easter Island, lol. Wonder if he'll build his own Moai?

Attachments

• Moai.jpg
    Moai.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 11

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
The world is a dynamic place. It's ever changing.

Realistically...

the biggest beef most people have with GMOs is because of one Corporation and the perception that it wants to control the world. I mean... that's what most of the anti GMO posts are about.

Genetically modified organisms are here to stay. It's where the technology is going. That is obvious.

The mothers of invention will always battle those who are concerned for the future generations....

sure, good science...

gmo%20labeling.jpg

http://www.theboycottlist.org/

? one corporation ?

what about choice? these companies are peddling poisons and you haven't a choice. soon all foodstocks will be polluted. no mention on labels to even warn. nowhere to run.

but that's just me.

I'm sure technology will save us.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
sure, good science...

View Image

http://www.theboycottlist.org/

? one corporation ?

what about choice? these companies are peddling poisons and you haven't a choice. soon all foodstocks will be polluted. no mention on labels to even warn. nowhere to run.

but that's just me.

I'm sure technology will save us.

Propaganda Tactic....bring in the corporation angle. I like you, Trich....but that's so typical of you. That's your answer to technological advancements? The world is not neat and clean.

Fuck dude...

Controls them to do whatever they want. It can be a happy place, if youre somewhere near the top of the system - cough - house of cards. But then again the higher you are the harder you fall. Its okay if you and I are happy, but to think the system serves happiness is not okay. We are happy because we have taken the happiness from others. There is a bunch of unhappy people in the world right now for each of us happy people that are unhappy because of the choices we make in search of happiness.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Controls them to do whatever they want. It can be a happy place, if youre somewhere near the top of the system - cough - house of cards. But then again the higher you are the harder you fall. Its okay if you and I are happy, but to think the system serves happiness is not okay. We are happy because we have taken the happiness from others. There is a bunch of unhappy people in the world right now for each of us happy people that are unhappy because of the choices we make in search of happiness.

Are you unhappy?....because...I mean..I'm happy. Goal reached?

Should I try and be happy for everyone? Is that my responsibility?...or even within an individual's capabilities?

Let's keep it in perspective.....there's always going to be unhappy peoples. My happiness is not the cause of their unhappiness.

I'm a happy nobody. I like it that way.

Yes I am happy, and its good that youre happy too. Its one big happy fuckfest, but Im not a bottom soo... I just accept that the director can make me a bottom at any moment and be happy now.

Maybe getting off topic, my arguably mis quoted Kissinger remark was just to say that youre not really free if you dont control your own food source. Happiness isnt necessarily dependent on freedom.