What's new

Mk VII Terpenator

Sextracts

I do definitely wish to no longer have to use dry ice, but from what ive observed fats and lipids can fall out of solution for up to two hours after freezing, and it seems much more efficient to be able to do that in a separate chamber rather than tie your machine up for those hours.

Do you think it would be possible to do the dewaxing in the chamber using the same concept? Say you were to do your initial flood in an MKIV and instead of soaking, doing a top column vapor recovery to chill your column. And doing this multiple times to get to a desired temperature. before doing a flood and dump. By adding some filters on the top and bottom mesh screens you could theoretically do the dewaxing and filtering all in the column. I know there would have to be some modifications done to the top of the column assembly to prevent aspirating oil back into your system and this would also be a lot of work for your common recovery pumps. I'm mainly wondering if anyone has tried this or if they think it could work, or if I'm completely off base. Thanks

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GW, just wanted to add that I saw bret mention another benefit of the inline dewaxing is it pleases the fire marshal(no open gasses). Says the fire marshal won't allow open gases so inline dewaxing is the only way he can do it.

Do you think as time goes on and regulations continue to develop, inline dewaxing will become mandatory everywhere? Are open gases even allowed in OR, CA, or CO?

Obviously for those of us doing it at home, pleasing the fire marshal doesn't really matter.

They made it clear in the regulatory meetings that I've shared, that any commercial installation will meet all local, state, and federal codes and that the fire marshal gets the final word on the design.

Oregon is now trying to write laws, CA proscribes BHO altogether, and CO and WA are leading the charge as far as I can tell.

Not conversant chapter and verse on CO, but WA requires a closed loop system meeting ASME and ANSI, as well as local, state, and federal codes.

Predictable and timely. No one should be selling systems to the public that don't meet those codes.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you used them with a gauge yet? I think people are going to start understaning the important these variable are.

Not with anything I trust in that range yet.

Our 1/4" X 15.5" custom made Type J tubular thermocouples just arrived, as have our PID order, which we are using for readout instead of a simple readout. They are relatively inexpensive and it saves on spares inventory.

Chonkski

Not with anything I trust in that range yet.

Our 1/4" X 15.5" custom made Type J tubular thermocouples just arrived, as have our PID order, which we are using for readout instead of a simple readout. They are relatively inexpensive and it saves on spares inventory.

I am heading up to the pharm as I type to consider upgrading to the mkiV.. It shouldn't be too far off to make the add ons for this concept right?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am heading up to the pharm as I type to consider upgrading to the mkiV.. It shouldn't be too far off to make the add ons for this concept right?

The Mk IV has provisions for either a 21 or a 27" tubular thermocouple, down through the top of the intake manifold, using a NPT endcap and a compression fitting.

The Mk V has a dedicated port provided.

dybert

They made it clear in the regulatory meetings that I've shared, that any commercial installation will meet all local, state, and federal codes and that the fire marshal gets the final word on the design.

Oregon is now trying to write laws, CA proscribes BHO altogether, and CO and WA are leading the charge as far as I can tell.

Not conversant chapter and verse on CO, but WA requires a closed loop system meeting ASME and ANSI, as well as local, state, and federal codes.

Predictable and timely. No one should be selling systems to the public that don't meet those codes.

None of the current extraction companies (minus waters) are selling ASME stamped vessels though, AFAIK.

Its gonna be a big challenge to get equipment to fly here in WA.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WA has already approached WolfWurx for certifications, which we are in the process of doing. WolfWurx Terpenators already meet ANSI and ASME standards.

dybert

WA has already approached WolfWurx for certifications, which we are in the process of doing. WolfWurx Terpenators already meet ANSI and ASME standards.

Are these still sourced with the chinese parts? Are the chinese parts ASME stamped?

I'm confused because based on my understanding of the ASME process it needs to be viewed at several parts throughout the manufacturing process.

No arguing here, absolutely seeking information :)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Parts source doesn't matter.

The assembly requires review and certification that it meets ASME and ANSI requirements, by a qualified lab.

dybert

Parts source doesn't matter.

The assembly requires review and certification that it meets ASME and ANSI requirements, by a qualified lab.

So, I've dug up some more stuff on this.

ASME engineer stamped pressure vessels do not exist in any of the current companies.

However, I've heard of a 6" rule, stating that anything 6" or less in diameter is considered pipe? So it doesn't need the engineer STAMP.

From what I have read, if you require an ASME engineer stamp, you have to submit diagrams, they take into account the scope of your project. They then set benchmarks that they have to come inspect along the way.

I'm still trying to figure out what is actually required, but in WA the fire marshal all the way down at the local level is who is going to give the go or no go.

Graywolf, if you have an insight on this, or can let me know where I'm misinterpreting something, please do let me know!

icdog

Has anyone noticed that subzero has filed a patent for inline dewaxing using some sort of cooling with a sleeve I think on the tubes?
I haven't read their patent but how would they enforce that and why would that even be useful.
Even with a patent anybody could sell a system with a sleeve on their column and the end user could do whatever they wanted.

i kind of find the entire patent useless since it's nothing useful. i would much rather winterize than partially dewax with an inline filter that will only half ass the job. they have no issue paying for the patent lawyer with the prices they charge i guess.

soysoz

I guess it depends. I'd much rather dewax with an inline filter when making oil to vape for myself, but not for sick patients.

Chonkski

I definitely love winterizing, but why not do what you can to pick up as little impurity as possible in the initial run.

Or when one just doesn't have the time to winterize and would vape the impurity regardless..

I thought about throwing in a d/I sleeve around the collection chamber of the mk series and having some sort of dump below, through a qualitative lab filter into a larger collection vessel and so on..

Although, what's the point for that when we have gray wolf to show a more cutting edge approach when it comes to the mkVII at then which we can take our own know how with extraction and apply it to his brilliance!

unoriginal

Dewaxing

Dewaxing

Could we just pre-pack our columns and keep them in a deep freezer with dry ice?

Also keep the butane storage tank in the deep freezer and just drill holes in the freezer to run our lines out through, so the tank could remain closed in the freezer in the dry ice while we do the runs?

If we use this method, would it matter if we use 1 1/2" columns or 4" columns? I have been concerned my columns will warm up too fast once I take them out. It seems like a fatter column would chill slower and potentially be cold enough for three runs as long as we keep the storage tank in the dry ice during the runs.

This is all relatively new to me, so I can't even fathom the Wizardry GW is speaking of with the MK VII yet.