What's new

midwest growers unite

StayHigh149

Man, it's been a long time since I posted in this thread. We are considering moving back to the midwest...Louisville area. I should be up there for a few days within the next couple of months to check things out. I have some close ties to that area.

astartes

Bird ---

Nice on the Sour Bub. Ya know if D dubs selected it, it's gonna be some great smoke! Take a gander at yer PMs when you get a chance. Got something ready to fly on outta here.

Yeah, the midwest certainly isn't lacking for some choice cuts. Just got a package today with Chem4, a couple Apollo Mist phenos, shmoe's Casey jones cut and a dank pheno of Verite's Orange Diesel.

Grow it hard midwest and let's hope for a mild fall without a freeze til November, lol!

astartes

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
shit i look at it like this, i only need the shire and the 14 week SSH and i have all 3 elite rez cuts circulating around. we got a coast to represent to now, right on the shores of the great lakes :D

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Mrred: Gotta love dwc. Tubs or buckets? I'm thinking, if I have to move and do it all over again, I'd build a cab too. Easy to keep everything (odors, light leaks) contained in one room that way. But it'd be a big ass cab. :rasta:

Donny: The purpose of this thread is to commiserate in our shared experience of - a) Being marijuana growers/lovers in a country that is not tolerant of them and b) being marijuana growers/lovers in an area of said country that is generally looked down upon by marijuana growers/lovers from the other areas.
I think there's a thread called F.U.C.K.E.M. for people from the east coast.

Ripcord: That's a nice looking system. I looked at that before, it's pretty pricey, you could build the buckets easily enough but making the reservoir/float valve/control unit would be trickier.
So you're all about the ebb and flow, huh? Do you think it promotes the most explosive growth of the various hydro methods? How many days apart were those pics taken at? I'm thinking one week, then two weeks apart (clone to veg, veg to flower).

Reddy: I don't mean to offend you, but Pinky is one fine looking lady, and the things I would do to her...[shakes head]
Seriously though, that bud is pretty, and I don't mean compared to other bud, like you could enter that into a gardening competition and it might get some votes over roses and lilacs etc.

Retardo: spoken like a true hippie! I feel peaceful too when I'm high. But when I'm not high I feel angry (not all the time of course). Which makes me think I should be high all the time. :rasta:

Astartes: I was gifted some Orange Diesel seeds from a very generous icmag member recently (if they want recognition, let me know). I'm still looking for an og kush cut, i want to try that fucker out and see if it smokes as well as they say. In the meantime, I figure it's best to just concentrate on growing as well as I possibly can.

:joint:

sup astartes....i heard that casey jones cut is fire!....u sure r lucky!

astartes said:
Bird ---

Nice on the Sour Bub. Ya know if D dubs selected it, it's gonna be some great smoke! Take a gander at yer PMs when you get a chance. Got something ready to fly on outta here.

Yeah, the midwest certainly isn't lacking for some choice cuts. Just got a package today with Chem4, a couple Apollo Mist phenos, shmoe's Casey jones cut and a dank pheno of Verite's Orange Diesel.

Grow it hard midwest and let's hope for a mild fall without a freeze til November, lol!

astartes

Dr. G

so i harvest 3 plants yesterday trimmed them up im guessin i lost 4-6 oz to mold and got about a lb good stuff off of a cindy grapefruit and 2 sour bubbles going to havest the rest that are in the ground in a few days and the ones that are in pots are looking really small and not developed so im thinking about 4 oz off each if i dont loose any to mold

next year im going to expand my current spots and i got another partner and i still have to meet the third but well have 10 acres to work off of with forrest on all sides atvs a back hoe the only thing is we have to protect them from is the horses

but i will be growng in 30 gal grow bags next year with some soil moist still promix tho

also adding tons more soil to the main spot and digging more out only going to do 3 plants there next year also have a few bagged ones there but the ridge well be clearing alot more brush and theres also another spot that my cuz has in mind

next year only growing single cola plants and alot less plants more spread out

astartes

pokerman2006200 said:
sup astartes....i heard that casey jones cut is fire!....u sure r lucky!

Haha bro. The way I look at it, the midwest is lucky. I'm sure she'll be making the rounds...

Dr. G ---

Congrats on a successful first part of the harvest. Considering all the rain, 4-6 oz. loss is damn good, friend. Ya know you've hit it big time when you're talking about the grow area in terms of acres and a backhoe in place of a shovel, lol! Glad to hear and wish ya all the best!

astartes

Ripcord

Bababooey said:
Ripcord: That's a nice looking system. I looked at that before, it's pretty pricey, you could build the buckets easily enough but making the reservoir/float valve/control unit would be trickier.
So you're all about the ebb and flow, huh? Do you think it promotes the most explosive growth of the various hydro methods? How many days apart were those pics taken at? I'm thinking one week, then two weeks apart (clone to veg, veg to flower).
:joint:

Theres a really good thread here on how to build the controller for about half price. I'll try to post it later. As far me thinking if this type of system promotes the most explosive growth, I would have to say that DWC and biobuckets are probably on the top as far as what I've seen. My brother is a DWC guy and his plants are impressive. A persons learning curve and talent have alot to do with success too. I'd say in the right hands, this type of system is killer. Its also a great system for newer hydro guys to learn with, as long as they have the basics down.

I'd say its definitely in the top 5.

You were right on about the plants in the pics, they were about a week apart. The top pic is of those same plants during the start of the flush.

dsc04978-web.jpg

dsc04987-web.jpg

030-web.jpg

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Pokerman: What's the lineage of Casey Jones again? For some reason I keep thinking Deep Chunk when I hear Casey Jones. Doesnt the name casey jones come from a stephen king book?

Dr G: Are u saving the moldy buds plus trim for hash making? Sounds like you're going to need to buy a cheap washing machine and some 20 gallon bubble bags. :rasta: I've seen threads on here with people using it with pounds and pounds of trim; the results were impressive, to say the least.

You know, I dont know whether to envy you or pity you regarding next year's plans. I mean, congratulations on scaling up (hope your partners aren't flakes and stick with you to the end, remember treat them well but call them out on their bullshit) but ohmygod that sounds like a LOT of work. Are you going to be hauling 30gallon promix bags to that site or are those just for your smaller grows?

I posted in another thread (legalized mj thread) that if Phillip Morris were farming mj, think of all the technological advantages they would have: special combines to harvest and even strip the fan leaves and stalks, further processing at a plant to trim, dry and cure the finished product. They'd probably even have a way to turn any loose trichs into hash. Of course, all that rough handling might not equate to a product as well cared for and carefully harvested as a small organic grower's product, but when you're in the third day of a 2 week long trimming 'session' you're probably wondering 'there's got to be a better way'.

Check out strippers.ch : yeah, I thought they were a strip club at first, but it's actually an aardvark-like machine. They have quicktime videos there that are pretty cool. They're in europe though, so I dont know if you can get them in the us... :joint:

Ripcord: Nice closeups! Do you have an SLR with a macro lens? Or is that just the macro function on your digi?
Yeah, there's a ton of thread here on how to make your own equipment. A lot of posters on here are like tradesmen or really really handy-andy types who can build or fix just about anything. I've built some stuff before (a crappy small carbon filter than I no longer use, my scrog screens if you can call that building) but I find that it's usually better to just buy it to get something that's durable and built to last. You didnt build your own controller unit, did you?
Did you ever try DWC and then switch to E&F? Is E&F less work than DWC (only have to deal with one reservoir instead of several, so check ph and ec once instead of several times, etc)? I know E&F is ideal for SOG style which basically brings you the best indoor yields. I'm hoping to achieve the same thing with a scrog. Plus I like having 4 tubs cause i can have different strains going. :rasta:
I really do think that mixing strains in a bowl gives you a better, more long lasting high than smoking a single strain. Like a nice blended whiskey instead of a single malt. :joint:

Ripcord

Bababooey said:
:
Ripcord: Nice closeups! Do you have an SLR with a macro lens? Or is that just the macro function on your digi?
Yeah, there's a ton of thread here on how to make your own equipment. A lot of posters on here are like tradesmen or really really handy-andy types who can build or fix just about anything. I've built some stuff before (a crappy small carbon filter than I no longer use, my scrog screens if you can call that building) but I find that it's usually better to just buy it to get something that's durable and built to last. You didnt build your own controller unit, did you?
Did you ever try DWC and then switch to E&F? Is E&F less work than DWC (only have to deal with one reservoir instead of several, so check ph and ec once instead of several times, etc)? I know E&F is ideal for SOG style which basically brings you the best indoor yields. I'm hoping to achieve the same thing with a scrog. Plus I like having 4 tubs cause i can have different strains going. :rasta:
I really do think that mixing strains in a bowl gives you a better, more long lasting high than smoking a single strain. Like a nice blended whiskey instead of a single malt. :joint:

Yup, SLR with a set of macro lenses. Will be upgrading this winter hopefully.
I agree about the DIY guys here. Anytime someone starts a thread about buying something, (new system etc) these guys always come on a bit strong. If I have the time to build something, and I'm inclined to, I will. If I dont have the time, I'll buy what I want, regardless of opinion.

As fas as DWC vs. E&F, Theres a lot of pro's and con's, probably more than I can think of at the moment. A few that come to mind are the rez issues and medium. IMHO the E&F are less work in the long run. The upside to DWC is being able to run different strains with different profiles. Thats hard to do in a system running off of one rez.

Personally I like the E&G and will be sticking with it for quite a while. Here's that link to the DIY thread for the controller.

Ogre's DIY Ebb & Grow / Multi-Flow Controller Tutorial

I agree about mixing strains too. My stash jar has Dynamite/Double Purple DojaxPurpleUrkle/Texada Timewarp mixed together right now and it seems like my tolerance has'nt gone done in quite a while.

Last edited:

reddy1

ICMag Donor
ahh blended strains. making a salad bowl with a little hash. that does it for me. i'm done for 2 hours. variety is what keeps me high. i build a tolerance to most strains if i don't mix them up frequently. i'll pick a tiny bit from each jar and sample everything.

done at 55 days. 30clear/70cloudy.

good vibes from this thread. great job everybody.

donny darko

Ripcord that is a nice plants what is it. Sorry if you already said.

astartes they are some nice cuts you got there. You have a nice grow going there and are always very informative. I am looking for some new strains and mothers to run in my sog any suggestions. :joint:

Peace darko

Ripcord

donny darko said:
Ripcord that is a nice plants what is it. Sorry if you already said.

Its NGSC Dynamite. Had it for a few years now. Can't bring myself to get rid of it. Some lovely smoke.

sup bababooey....the casey jones is this

Driving that Train(wreck) through Thailand with a sour Diesel engine, Casey Jones is the progeny of My Oriental Express mother (trainwreck x thai by billygoat seeds) crossed with the ECSD v3 papas, and is a polyhybrid certain to delight the mind and palate of sativa lovers. There is a bit of phenotypical variation with this cross, varying from fruity sativa dominance to a more dieselish aroma and growth. Look for these lovely ladies to finish up in 8 to 10 weeks.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ripcord: Thanks for the link to the DIY controller. I just scrolled through and saw how many steps and how many parts were needed; that was all I needed to know that if I ever wanted one, I'd buy it! :rasta:
It's nice that you have an SLR. Are you going to upgrade to a macro lens that can zoom in so much that you can see individual trichs and whether they're clear or cloudy? Now THAT would be awesome. You wouldn't need a microscope at that point...

Reddy and Rip: Ah, the magic of the blended strains! There was a salad bowl thread on here, wonder if it's still going...
I know what you mean about building up tolerance to one strain. The Flo I'm smoking, it's the best stuff I've grown so far, at least equal to the 60/eighth stuff I was used to before, but after toking on it regularly for the last 2-3 months I find the intensity of my high fades after a couple hours. I'm hoping once my NYCD finishes water-curing I'll be able to mix it up and break through my tolerance level.

Reddy1: What is that strain again? Sorry if you've answered this question a hundred times already, but you know, we're all stoners so my memory gets shot sometimes. :rasta: The sugar trim is just COVERED in trichs. I'd leave the trim on with those puppies.
Done in 55 days from first sign of buds, not first day of 12/12, right? My Flo finishes pretty quick, around 60 days, but it takes a week or two in the flowering for it to start producing actual buddage.

Poker: Thanks for the info on the lineage, I should have realized it was a Gratefulhead strain. He put out some G13-Diesel seeds that sounded awesome as well.

L

lostinethereal

There's some awesome looking stuff you guy's are posting, I'm very jealous lol. Here's some lame stuff (filler) in between your guys magnificent shots.

The two pommelo are doing great, pretty much identical but one is stretching a bit more, so is the cheMSG but it's nothing compared to one of the hashberry f2s, it's way more than doubled in probably about a week and a half of 12/12. I haven't been counting yet, waiting for the first flowers to show. Anyhow, starting with them, here they are:

Check out the fat ass leaves on these bitches.

Here's the lone cheMSG, it looks real nice so I hope she's a girl.

Here the two hashberrys, these guy's have been finicky the whole time. I wasn't really sure what to do about the one more indica looking one, its leaves were massively curled and anyway I flushed it and its looking better but almost tripled in height over the last week.

I've also been playing around with sketchup to help plan out this cab I've been talking about. I'm probably going to order the 4" fan/filter combo from htgsupply, that's what these plans are designed off of. I've read people had problems with their filters from that combo (and the 6"), but it was always goblin or elf, some people said theirs was defective, and this brand is "pure flow" I think, anyway I hope it'll work. The shelf the containers are on is gonna be on tracks so I can easily pull it out to get to the plants, beneath that is gonna be two 8x8 dark room louvers. The cab design itself or how everything will fit in that and whatever is bound to change but this is roughly what it will look like:

astartes

lostinethereal ---

Those plants are looking great! You'll surely blow your last grow out of the water. They're looking nice and lush. How long until you flip them to 12/12?

That cab looks great. The one thing I noticed was you may have a problem with air flow inside the cab depending on where you put the louvers. Ideally, your scrubber should be at the top of the cab and the louvers toward the bottom to allow the air to fully circulate in the cab, or you may get spots in the cab only receiving stagnant air...

Just a thought, also what will the cab dimensions be?

astartes

L

lostinethereal

Yes astartes, I was thinking of that. I want to get it up high with the fan, and I was thinking to aid airflow of drilling some 1.5in holes in the shelf so the air can come up under the plants before traveling to the filter. But luckily it's only a minor pain in the ass to move stuff around in sketchup. The dimensions are roughly, 30" across, 18" deep, like 28" tall or so. I gotta head to work but I can get the interior dimensions later, very handy tool in sketchup for doing just that.

I also need to think of either a dark room louver for the exhaust, like a 4inch ducting to a square extender, maybe cut the corners and wrap them around the louver and tape with aluminum tape so no light gets out. Or just a couple of feet of ducting to sort of coil on itself and trap the light. The fan is rather bulky so that's the biggest problem, maybe I'll drop that to the base and raise the filter up top.

The plants I've got going now are in about a week of 12/12, I'm waiting for the first signs of flowers before I start counting down. I think I got a little ahead of myself last time, but I only vegged a week then it was straight to 12/12 and harvested after only 8-9 weeks of 12/12, I think the first couple of weeks of that should have been considered vegging since she was so immature.