What's new

MH vs HPS in bloom

sso

Veteran
humm, im not certain yet, but the plant closest to the mh, has considerably more snow on her than usual at this time for this strain.

its an unshielded mh though, no glassshield.

frankly im not sure using sunglasses is enough, after a few minutes near it, i feel like i have a sunburn. im considering turning it off before i open the cabinet. :)

eyes, get quickly fucked up near it too.

but, plants look nicer and im pretty sure crystals are up.

nicer smell to the plants too.

they have greened up some too.

not recommending anyone buy a mh, but im definately continuing this test.

KT420

I would like to try a 10k bulb. These are for reef Corals. I use 2 250w 10K on my tank..

USHIO Aqualite metal halide lamps feature the combination of color balance, color rendering and light output for healthy marine aquarium and reef system lighting. The USHIO BLV factory in Germany, collaborated with leading marine biologists to develop the first 10,000K metal halide lamps.

The Aqualite 10,000K lamps have a high color temperature from a single point source which simulates the appearance of sunlight near the equator in ocean depths of approximately 5 meters. The superior spectral balance of the Aqualite lamps are ideal for lighting and environmental conditions for reef systems. This includes fish, coral, invertebrates, marine fauna and flora

Yeah and Plantmax makes a 600w 10,000K MH they reccomend for last 2 weeks of flower for it's higher UV spectrum which supposedly stimulates trich production? The HPS's have the best PAR lumens per watt in general though which makes them the best for most of the flower phase?

Ganja baba

Veteran
hi guys i have been using these dual ark bulbs for a while now , same yield just better resin stronger stems and less height

these bulbs have a 200 wt halide and 400 wt sodium all in the same bulb housing

its a must for sativas and keep plants that like to go yellow more green
and if you put a heat defuser say from sunsystems it really spreads the blue and red really well

sso

Veteran
oh yeah, forgot to add,

some strains like mh more than others. (meaning same as ganja baba said, some plant stay greener longer and some sativas grow better.)

T

TREE KING

Check out Sunmaster Warm Deluxe (3000k MH) or the Sunpulse 3k. You get the best of both worlds IMO. I use a mix of Warm Deluxes and Cool Deluxes.

I believe the use of HPS stems from outdated lore. People started using them when indoor growing first started because they had the highest output of any bulb available, in the best spectrum (metal halides were junk). The metal halide technology has progressed considerably since then and has far surpassed the HPS.

People think that stretch happens during flower because they switch their plants from MH to HPS and their plants freak out because the HPS lacks so much spectrum. What the plants are really doing is trying to find the light (even though HPS provides a lot of light, it is not in the right spectrum the plant wants).

But here is the reality:

Each plant is bred a certain way and has genetic predispositions. Therefore the light the plant wants will highly depend on its breeder and genetics. If the breeder selected for largest yield using only HPS, then the plant will likely do best in all HPS. This is the same for fertiization - if the breeder selected for which plant thrived most using synthetics, it will perform best with synthetics - if the breeder used organics, it will perform best with organics.

EDIT: Also, I think that dual-arc bulbs are a sham - you only get a 600W HPS and a 400W MH in a bulb - now place that at 1000W distance (due to 1000W heat) and the light hitting the plants is WEAK. Its like using a 400W MH next to a 600W HPS 18-24in from the plant, not okay.

very interesting post DrShio you make alot of sense. my hortilux super hps stretches the plants way to much so im on the hunt for another bulb. i havent done a huge amount of research yet but so far im looking at the sunmaster h.p.s high output bulb and the warm deluxe because of your recommendation. if anyone else can recommend a top of the line bulb for flower that stretches the plants less than with hortilux i would appreciate it

sso

Veteran
its interesting what drshio said,

cause, with the 400w mh and the 600w hps, the plants turn more towards the mh.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
very interesting post DrShio you make alot of sense. my hortilux super hps stretches the plants way to much so im on the hunt for another bulb. i havent done a huge amount of research yet but so far im looking at the sunmaster h.p.s high output bulb and the warm deluxe because of your recommendation. if anyone else can recommend a top of the line bulb for flower that stretches the plants less than with hortilux i would appreciate it

Your quite unlikely to find what your looking for in a HPS only bulb. By default they put out alot of far-red light. Of course, manufacturers dont usually show this on the SPD because they dont want you to know about it.

The best way to limit stretch in plants IME, is to give them only MH for at least a month before flowering clones. Seedplants require longer. Ive had MangoHaze seedplants under HPS that had 4 inch stretch in flowering, to having an inch or less when the clone had a month under the MH then placed under HPS for flowering.

sso

Veteran
some say mh is hotter, but forget that far red light of a hps.

with the window closed, my cab with the 400w mh alone, is 20c.

with the window closed and the 600w running as well, its at 30c. (so windy outside i had to close the damn window. :))

though personally id rather keep the hps in there.

T

TREE KING

Your quite unlikely to find what your looking for in a HPS only bulb. By default they put out alot of far-red light. Of course, manufacturers dont usually show this on the SPD because they dont want you to know about it.

The best way to limit stretch in plants IME, is to give them only MH for at least a month before flowering clones. Seedplants require longer. Ive had MangoHaze seedplants under HPS that had 4 inch stretch in flowering, to having an inch or less when the clone had a month under the MH then placed under HPS for flowering.

but even when i use a hortilux mh on my moms the plants stretch more than i like. using the sunmaster cool deluxe the plants stay alot shorter and these are both mh bulbs. i dont know maybe a different kind of bulb would help in flower cause it helps with mh you know.

I would like to try a 10k bulb. These are for reef Corals. I use 2 250w 10K on my tank..

USHIO Aqualite metal halide lamps feature the combination of color balance, color rendering and light output for healthy marine aquarium and reef system lighting. The USHIO BLV factory in Germany, collaborated with leading marine biologists to develop the first 10,000K metal halide lamps.

The Aqualite 10,000K lamps have a high color temperature from a single point source which simulates the appearance of sunlight near the equator in ocean depths of approximately 5 meters. The superior spectral balance of the Aqualite lamps are ideal for lighting and environmental conditions for reef systems. This includes fish, coral, invertebrates, marine fauna and flora

wow whats the elec bill for that month not to mention the ballast size .. lol just an observation ..

peez ..

ss ..

T

TribalSeeds

4 lights above these plants
2 Sunmaster 600W, 2 Hortilux (1000 set on 600 and a 600)
Same size plants, no screen.

Last edited:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
but even when i use a hortilux mh on my moms the plants stretch more than i like. using the sunmaster cool deluxe the plants stay alot shorter and these are both mh bulbs. i dont know maybe a different kind of bulb would help in flower cause it helps with mh you know.

I would continue to use the Sunmaster bulbs then. My experience with MH is Digilux MH(overpriced), and Ushio MH Conversion bulbs. Ill stick with the Ushios from now on, but both performed well in keeping plants compact.

T

TREE KING

I would continue to use the Sunmaster bulbs then. My experience with MH is Digilux MH(overpriced), and Ushio MH Conversion bulbs. Ill stick with the Ushios from now on, but both performed well in keeping plants compact.

i will for veg but ive never used a sunmaster hps bulb for flower thats why im asking you guys. it seems hard to believe that theres not one hps bulb on the market that keeps your plants shorter in flower wtf.

TribalSeeds you are using sunmaster Super High Output Hps Bulbs right? i was told that was the only hps bulb they sell is that correct? that was the one i was gonna try but if your plants arent shorter than i guess its a waste of time. worst case scenario im gonna have to just use mh at the beginning and then switch to hps, i was just trying to avoid that cause its a hastle when you have alot of lights plus i would have to replace all my ballasts to switchable ones

Last edited:

KT420

wow whats the elec bill for that month not to mention the ballast size .. lol just an observation ..

peez ..

ss ..
I think you're thinking he means 10Kw, when he means 10,000 Kelvin, as in the color temperature of the bulbs
Do you mean pulse start (straight MH designed for digi ballast) MH versus Conversion MH, you like the conversions in a digi ballast better? I've only used HPS in my digi until now but i'm looking for a 600W MH bulb, pref 10,000K. Was planning on getting a plantmax because it's the cheapest ($55). why do you think the conversions are better are they cheaper than $55?

RulaTone

Veteran
from: "The medicinal uses of cannabis and the cannabinoids"

from: "The medicinal uses of cannabis and the cannabinoids"

Growth and morphology of medicinal cannabis - The growing environment

During the early stages of this research, the first trial crops of medicinal cannabis were grown in a glasshouse with relatively inefficient high-pressure mercury vapour lamps. High pressure sodium and metal halide lamp were found to be more efficient.
Light emitted from metal halide lamps is a very pure white, whereas that from HPS lamps is the familiar orange colour of street lightining. GW Pharmaceuticals compared metal halide and high-pressure sodium lamps in growth-room trials. Cannabis plant quality and yeld proved to be equal when grown uder either type of light. Newly purchased metal halide lamps are slightly more efficient than high-pressure sodium fitting in converting electrical energy into photosynthetically usable light energy. However, metal halide lamps rapidly fade while sodium lamps continue to perform well for long periods. In a medicinal cannabis production facility, where uniformity of product is important, the ability of the HPS lamps to deliver uniform light intensity made this lightning system the preferred option.

Ganja baba

Veteran
mh lamps are more effitient than sodiums , meaning the plant will see more light from the mh per watt , how ever though , in flower the extra red from a sodium out ways this as the red is what the prefer , so all though there is more light for your bucks its not the right type at the right time ,

heres a great example of learning to work with the stretch and using it to your advantage . of course there are other variables to take in ,
i would have chose some less recent pics but the gallery wasnt working .

T

TREE KING

mh lamps are more effitient than sodiums , meaning the plant will see more light from the mh per watt , how ever though , in flower the extra red from a sodium out ways this as the red is what the prefer , so all though there is more light for your bucks its not the right type at the right time ,

heres a great example of learning to work with the stretch and using it to your advantage . of course there are other variables to take in ,
i would have chose some less recent pics but the gallery wasnt working .
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=26395&pictureid=580462&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=26395&pictureid=580458&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

god damn! i wish i had that fuckin clone lol

Latest posts

Latest posts