What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS in bloom

qupee

picture.php

picture.php

daayuumm. :canabis:

sso

Veteran
one big variable to take in, is strain.

3 strains side by side, same everything but the strain.

and one strain is gonna kick the others ass in yield and another in potency.

i had this big bud strain once (northernlightsxbigbud.)

it was a smaller plant than the papaya next to it.

yet the bigbuds buds, were about 3 times larger than the papayas (a average strain in budsize.)

and denser and thicker.

it was a dense huge bud plant even under t5´s , when not other strain aside from it, (in my collection.)managed such buds.

so a picture from some grower that has no comparison (and if so, only on a very small scale.)

does not really say anything.

at the moment, my buds are frostier than they have been at this stage and the buds are bigger.

but, its also a brandnew hps bulb along with the unshielded 400w mh. so a new factor. also strains not exactly the same (same strain but not uniform in character.)

plus im also trying out a new fertilizer.

and its only a small cab.

though, so far, the plants closest to the mh (they are most all close to the hps.)
seem to be fatter and and more frosty.

the two strains that are closest to the mh and further from the hps, actually seem to be doing best, but they are a different strain entirely and both of a different strain.

is it a lot more frosty? they look a week or 2 older than before with hps only.

but its also 400 extra watts.

funnily the hps raises the temps 4c, while the mh raises it 2c. (so the hps seems to be hotter, though the mh is vertical while the hps isnt.)

so far, im liking the nicer look of the plants (leaves look healthier, buds bit nicer.)

and they smell nicer.

but im kinda thinking its more the added blue, than the uv. the mh has got shitloads of uv without the glassshield though, feels like im in the sun, tropical. just a bit harsher. more like mountain sun. (probably the worst burn ive ever had, was skiing)

if someone were interested in trying the same.

id get some 6500k cfl bulbs and add that to the hps you allready have.

cheaper option to check if you like the effects of some added blue and uv.

the gnome

Veteran
one big variable to take in, is strain.

though, so far, the plants closest to the mh (they are most all close to the hps.)
seem to be fatter and and more frosty.

the two strains that are closest to the mh and further from the hps, actually seem to be doing best, but they are a different strain entirely and both of a different strain.

this is what I saw, bigger, denser all the way around with my (diesel#1xabusive) X chem BX3

I got 40% more weight on the chop.
as far as potency, no difference between the 2 bulbs
from several people that tested it.

my Mh bulb was a sunmaster 6000K or 6500K 1000w
but most of all strain and genetics play a biggest role imo.
but the 40% more weight thing took this *cracker* by complete surprise,
nonbelievers wanting argue that, take it up with my ohaus triple beams.
vaped13 is killing it too using 1000w Mh 4000K in veg and bloom
the results are there.

what ever peeps say my results and few others results in this thread should make growers
think rethink the use of Mh in bloom.
nothing ventured
nothing gained

:joint:

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
funnily the hps raises the temps 4c, while the mh raises it 2c. (so the hps seems to be hotter, though the mh is vertical while the hps isnt.)

Actually, that's simple. HPS puts out a whole lot more infra-red which heats up anything dark in the room... therefore upping the noticeable heat. Having everything white or reflective will cut down on the extra heat from the HPS. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

what ever peeps say my results and few others results in this thread should make growers
nothing ventured
nothing gained

Convinced me. I'm not giving up on HPS totally though, I just purchased a Ushio HPS to compliment the new Sunmaster 6,500k.. Both 600w.

Grow journal coming soon, if customs ever releases my freaking beans.. bastards.

T

TREE KING

this is what I saw, bigger, denser all the way around with my (diesel#1xabusive) X chem BX3

I got 40% more weight on the chop.
as far as potency, no difference between the 2 bulbs
from several people that tested it.

my Mh bulb was a sunmaster 6000K or 6500K 1000w
but most of all strain and genetics play a biggest role imo.
but the 40% more weight thing took this *cracker* by complete surprise,
nonbelievers wanting argue that, take it up with my ohaus triple beams.
vaped13 is killing it too using 1000w Mhs 4000K in veg and bloom
the results are there.

nothing ventured
nothing gained

gnome im confused i thought you said you used a solarmax 7200K mh bulb on that secret recipe? i wanna make sure i know what mh bulb you used cause i think im gonna try out the same one. was it a solarmax or sunmaster?

gnome im confused i thought you said you used a solarmax 7200K mh bulb on that secret recipe? i wanna make sure i know what mh bulb you used cause i think im gonna try out the same one. was it a solarmax or sunmaster?

I don't think you could go wrong with either really.

T

TREE KING

just wanna make sure in his other thread he said he was using a 1000w solarmax 7200K

the gnome

Veteran
your right, my bad Tree....
sorry for the confusion
its the solarmax 7200K I used in bloom in this thread

I originally bought the sunmaster cool deluxe 6000K wanting to up the kelvin rating hi'r from the 4000K i was using.
then I wanted to go even bluer and saw the solarmax 7200K to see the difference.
Its easy (for me )mixing the two up and can never remember which is which,
I always have to go back to then site where i bought to get it straight lol!
the sunmaster 6000K is the big fat bulb and the solarmax looks more like an hps bulb.

hey tree, yeah I remember you posting in my secret recipe thread over in the CSG forums. killer strain!.

the SR I used in this grow was not the chem leaner, it was more diesel.

here's something else to keep in mind, look at vaped13s MH grows, outstanding and he used the cheepy sylvania's BT36's
they are 4000K and only $21 bucks ;)

Convinced me. I'm not giving up on HPS totally though, I just purchased a Ushio HPS to compliment the new Sunmaster 6,500k.. Both 600w.

Grow journal coming soon, if customs ever releases my freaking beans.. bastards.

I'm not saying anyone should ditch their HPS bulbs.
it was mention earlier that some strains didn't do well under
strictly Mh in bloom.
and Ive said it many times already strain strain
and genetics is the key.
so its understandable some may not do better than others under MH and vice versa.
but in my case the secret recipe did very well under HPS
and knocked the damn ball out of the park under MH
so I think the key here is finding the strains that kick it under MH and go for those.

vape's results tells me at $21 a bulb...
screw those fookin $125 HPS horti eye's I bought,
they didn't do any better over the $35 cheapo HPS bulbs I used and did 40% less than my mid priced MH solarmax,
and no changing all those bulbs out,
stretch is minimized and you can save a boatload of cash on the bulbs depending how big your garden is.
I mean sheeeit, at 21peso's a bulb you can change em every run if you want.

someone brought up my results may be because of a mix of both MH and HPS.
I'm using cooltubes without the hood and the lower to the ground is where I got the mix between both bulbs.
the biggest difference was where the plant was at a direct 90deg angle from the tubes and i had about 36" dead space tween the bulbs so each half of the plant grew towards the bulb it was closest to, it was very hard for any lite from the other bulb to really get to the other side at the top of the plant, and this is where you could see the huge difference.

now on the lower branches that were getting direct lite from both bulbs I could still see the difference but it wasn't as profound as the buds recieving only the MH or HPS lite.
those lower buds that had the popcorn, *but still*
on the MH side, buds they were bigger, and a bit denser to the degree it was apparent.

the more they got away from the HPS the more
pronounced the difference.

also, anyone just popping into this thread should read it from the beginning, lots of good info, especially from dr shio, vaped13.

the biggest thing I'm getting from all this info and results is this...
there's nothing wrong with HPS, it works.
BUT
how many strains have I grown that could have produced 10%.. 25%..... 40% or maybe even more using MH in bloom?

sso

Veteran
ive often heard that hps´s are mostly the same.

and so far i havent seen much difference between any of them.

but mh´s can be very different.

ive got one that is 6500k, is generic, didnt cost much less than a specific.

and the light is greenish. (well, you can see alot of blue and white, but there is a distinct green hue to it, particularily the far reflection.)

T

TREE KING

thanks for clearing that up gnome. i just decided im gonna do a side by side with a hortilux super hps and a solarmax 7200K. then the winner of that is gonna go against a sunmaster warm deluxe like dr shio recommended. i cant wait to see what happens

the crystals and smell are finally kicking in strong on that secret recipe. plenty of crystals now! the one weird thing is that theres barely any trichs at all on the leaves. in like a week and a half im choppin it. cant wait to get feedback from people

sso

Veteran
thanks for clearing that up gnome. i just decided im gonna do a side by side with a hortilux super hps and a solarmax 7200K. then the winner of that is gonna go against a sunmaster warm deluxe like dr shio recommended. i cant wait to see what happens

the crystals and smell are finally kicking in strong on that secret recipe. plenty of crystals now! the one weird thing is that theres barely any trichs at all on the leaves. in like a week and a half im choppin it. cant wait to get feedback from people

finest weed i have, a north vietnamese strain, does not, have a single visible crystal (have not checked witha scope, but if they are there, they are very very small.)

this strain kicks my ass, 4 tokes and im feeling drunk, a few more and im seeing vibrant colors in the dark.

weed that gets you going (not something you toke before going to sleep.) partydrug really.

the gnome

Veteran
again Tree, sorry for the mix up.
My SR had a very Hi caylx to leaf ratio, easy trim job
and most of the leaves were the big ones.
one thing I did notice and this is still subjective is that under HPS the resin heads matured a bit faster over the Mh.

right now I'm running grape stomper and veg's under Mh and bloomed the 1st 5 weeks in Mh also but now they are going under HPS till finished.
also I see a big difference between this run blooming under MH, there was minimal stretch and the branch is loaded with flower sites, hardly any bare stem which I got quite a bit of with this strain and particular pheno blooming under hps.
i know I'm going to have a bigge increase in yielded with this strain
going with Mh in the 1st 5wks of bloom.

ive often heard that hps´s are mostly the same.

and so far i havent seen much difference between any of them.

but mh´s can be very different.
ive got one that is 6500k, is generic, didnt cost much less than a specific.
and the light is greenish. (well, you can see alot of blue and white, but there is a distinct green hue to it, particularily the far reflection.)

dr shio had a very good talk on this....
check it out

Check out Sunmaster Warm Deluxe (3000k MH) or the Sunpulse 3k. You get the best of both worlds IMO. I use a mix of Warm Deluxes and Cool Deluxes.

I believe the use of HPS stems from outdated lore. People started using them when indoor growing first started because they had the highest output of any bulb available, in the best spectrum (metal halides were junk).

The metal halide technology has progressed considerably since then and has far surpassed the HPS.

People think that stretch happens during flower because they switch their plants from MH to HPS and their plants freak out because the HPS lacks so much spectrum. What the plants are really doing is trying to find the light (even though HPS provides a lot of light, it is not in the right spectrum the plant wants).

But here is the reality:

Each plant is bred a certain way and has genetic predispositions. Therefore the light the plant wants will highly depend on its breeder and genetics. If the breeder selected for largest yield using only HPS, then the plant will likely do best in all HPS. This is the same for fertiization - if the breeder selected for which plant thrived most using synthetics, it will perform best with synthetics - if the breeder used organics, it will perform best with organics.

EDIT: Also, I think that dual-arc bulbs are a sham - you only get a 600W HPS and a 400W MH in a bulb - now place that at 1000W distance (due to 1000W heat) and the light hitting the plants is WEAK. Its like using a 400W MH next to a 600W HPS 18-24in from the plant, not okay.

T

TREE KING

finest weed i have, a north vietnamese strain, does not, have a single visible crystal (have not checked witha scope, but if they are there, they are very very small.)

this strain kicks my ass, 4 tokes and im feeling drunk, a few more and im seeing vibrant colors in the dark.

weed that gets you going (not something you toke before going to sleep.) partydrug really.

i hear what your sayin i recently realized that the amount of crystals and trichs dont mean shit. the last strain i grew had the most crystals ive ever scene but it had a week high. im stickin with chem strains now

sso

Veteran
i hear what your sayin i recently realized that the amount of crystals and trichs dont mean shit. the last strain i grew had the most crystals ive ever scene but it had a week high. im stickin with chem strains now

it does not seem to matter so much, or rather, maybe, that its the contents that matter more than the amount and size of trichs.