What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS in bloom

the gnome

Veteran
man I fucked up and bought a Sunmaster Cool Deluxe... shit.

I think it'll probably work out fine musicianized.

speaking of your viet strain, in the early 80s I got hold of seeds that were from SE asia, all i knew about it.
wispy buds that didn't ripen outside until nov, and had the tiny resinheads like your talking about.
but man!! hit on some of that and you couldn't watch the flinstones
and follow the storyline LOL :D

G

Guest 315072

last grow used 1 mh and 1 hps 1000w each.. but over the entire room so i couldnt see which did better.. but the room was producing great resin covered buds..but i was thinking if u do a perpetual sog u could use the right side 1000mh.. left 1000hps.. so they start on the right side for mh to stop the stretch too much.. then moved over to the other side hps for most flowering.. then back to the mh side is last couple weeks of flower for more resin production .. could deff work if the entire mh last 2 weeks works.. but iunno i just run 1 of each.. soon my room will be bigger so ill run 2 600mh and 2 600hps per room hopefully on a light spinner kuz the new job will allow major discounts!

sso

Veteran
I think it'll probably work out fine musicianized.

speaking of your viet strain, in the early 80s I got hold of seeds that were from SE asia, all i knew about it.
wispy buds that didn't ripen outside until nov, and had the tiny resinheads like your talking about.
but man!! hit on some of that and you couldn't watch the flinstones
and follow the storyline LOL :D

even the leaves are nice to smoke. (taste like yummy buds and smell like it too.)

even in vegstate..

and actually preferable if you smoke it daily. (they just get you high, not atmospheric.)

and if you just harvest the tips of the leaves for some time, you get a really dense and bushy plant, perfect for then sending into flowering.

so, it actually gives you plenty of smoke about 2-3 weeks after starting the seeds.

mobitsfa

This thread is awesome, lots of info and ideas. I actually just finished reading the whole 13 pages.

I'm going to try out mh for the first 2 weeks for stretch/strengthen stems hopefully. Then switch to the hps for 6 weeks and finish off with the MH bare bulbing. The first 8 weeks will be behind glass. I'll also have 5 23w 6500k cfl's during the whole flowering period.

I'm 8 days into flowering and can already tell the leaves are more green, lush, and the plant just looks all around healthier compared to hps.

I have a 600 watt ballast and the tops are touching the glass on a cool tube right now, no burns so far. I use silica so that might help.

the gnome

Veteran
good to see you taking the plunge mobitsfa :)
even though i was only using Mh to increase resin production I started to notice the other *benefits* of using Mh in bloom here and ther

good luck and keep us posted

DrFever

Veteran
My next grow currently going on will consist of vegging with 2000 watts 1 mh and one hps but adding flourescents that will be throughout VEG and Bloom adding 3 k in flower as well should turn out into something real good :):tiphat:

legalizeDK

My next grow currently going on will consist of vegging with 2000 watts 1 mh and one hps but adding flourescents that will be throughout VEG and Bloom adding 3 k in flower as well should turn out into something real good :):tiphat:

those ladys are lush and happy :)

S

still

Im currently running 1x HPS and 1X dual spectrum sise by side and the dual spectrum side has visually bigger nugs

mobitsfa

Here's some of my plants.

Test: mh first 2 weeks flowering, 6-8 weeks hps, end with bare bulb mh. I have 600 watts, and 5 23 watt 6500k cfl's. I'm growing Og's, so flowering will vary. Two are sativa dom, but one is more indica and is supposed to be a quicker finishing OG.

I know it's going to be different conditions and everything, but a friend is growing out the same strains from the same mother under a 600 watt hps. And i'll post those once finished too.

SAM_1208.jpg

mobitsfa

Didn't mean to post a big picture, and can't edit or don't know how to... Here's the tops.

Alien Technology x GDP x SFV OG

King Louie OG x Silver Back Gorilla

Hell's Angel's OG

T

Terlihat

I have run a 1k MH and a 1k HPS end to end and there was absolutely no difference in the result. Admittedly there would be a bit of a crossover of light but you would think if one was better than the other the buds would still be better directly under that light.
Also depends what bulb you use in the MH; I have a cool MH bulb and that is a bluish light, which I use for veg, and then a warm MH which is a yellowish light which I change over for flower.
Personally I think HPS is an un-natural colour light, you don't get anything like that in nature, a warm MH is more like natural light.

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im trying it next set with the $23 1k sylv MH mentioned earlier and a 600 hps Hort Eye in my 8x8 open vert room..
ya know we go from 24/0 or 18/6 veg to 12/12 so heavy N mixes or feed progs will cause shooting as well...beside heat and enviro conditions...Im just gana watch and listen to what my plants have to say about it....I like the idea of switching to all HPS by wk 5 or 6 tho to give them the true Fall feel...good stuff tho..like to see how ppl think on it...
FOE20

Metal Halide 4000K bulb

Metal Halide 4000K bulb

I just wanted to make some noise on behalf of the Metal Halide side!

I've selected my first HID system for my 4ft. by 2ft. tent, and I'm going with a 400W Metal Halide in the 4000K spectrum. The bulb that comes with the set is made by HID Hut and has a similar output as the Sylvania and is around the same price. I've also order a 2nd duplicate bulb of the exact same model - I am now convinced that plants are happier with a balanced spectrum and without having to go though the switch from 6500K to 2700K, etc.

I just wanted to make some noise on behalf of the Metal Halide side!

I've selected my first HID system for my 4ft. by 2ft. tent, and I'm going with a 400W Metal Halide in the 4000K spectrum. The bulb that comes with the set is made by HID Hut and has a similar output as the Sylvania and is around the same price. I've also order a 2nd duplicate bulb of the exact same model - I am now convinced that plants are happier with a balanced spectrum and without having to go though the switch from 6500K to 2700K, etc.

Here is the bulb I'm getting (upgrading from CFL):

http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/full-spectrum-400w-mh-bulb-4000k-color-temp-p-56.html

400mhlamp.jpg

JakubAK48

Siema
Nice work everyone :) Im glad i found this thread
I have couple grows since 2005, and i did experienced difference betwen mh and hps,
I grow same strains under mh veg/hps flow, and second time hps only. In second grow something was missing about them, and i decided to switch mh on during bloom phase,
and then after a while i could smell that scent that was missing, since then i grow combo, 2x400w one mh and other hps
mh puts much more quality product, i only used sylvania 400w hsi tsx 4000k mh lamp(good!),
now i removed classic hps (hotspots!) and im flowering only on hsi tsx and cmh retrowhite, buds from under hsi tsx are one of strongest i ever managed to grow!!! (2cm of ocb wrapped pure blunt and im falling aslepp in the middle of watering)
and yes i have 4 weeks old phenotype of laughing buddha, fully matured in terms of POTENCY, i was shocked! it was sure 10.0 high, i belive it is cannabis cup pheno.
I will finish this grow to get to know buds from cmh, but im planning to sell them and get all system "for enclosed luminaries only" sylvanias rox!
And indeed mh light is guite harsh for plants, but i think they respond by creating more foliage, trichomes, resin and shadowing/defending innocent seed pods in quite hashy way. it will be fine ;)
Great thread!
Bless vaped and gnome! and others tooo :)....

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And indeed mh light is guite harsh for plants, but i think they respond by creating more foliage, trichomes, resin and shadowing/defending innocent seed pods in quite hashy way. it will be fine ;)

this is a good view of how Im feeling it would happen...note you mention "more foliage"...which can be a solid growth based trait and when were trying to form flower I can see the reasoning...for Ripening tho?...even mother nature cuts down the blues for Fall...
Im gana have a few Quantum dimmable's for my go at this..prob use a 600 and a 1k..but may do 3x600...Quantums can fire both HPS and MH and can be dimmed down or run at 100, 70 or 50% power...but may switch to HPS for last wk or 2....lookin forward to tryin this...
FOE20

i have a 800 watt room 4ft wide by 8 ft long .. i have been running 2 400 watt hps lights ... but now im thinking of throwing one of the mh bulbs in on one side . the plants under it now are mostly bogglegum wit a couple kiwiSkunks. they are 30 days into flower today .. if anything i might put one mh bulb in till finish and see what happens ....
great thread everyone thanks for all the info and ideas

the gnome

Veteran
hey shaggy skunk... :)
I my last grow using MH in bloom i also grew out bogs sour bogglegum, it was on the MH side of the grow and it performed very well under mh,
in fact its one of the keepers in my garden now.

hi Jaku, :)
glad to see you and others willing to break away from the norm and try something different and having success doing it!
it can be a hard thing to do when your getting a great harvest, you don't want to mess with what works and do anything different. as was said earlier in the thread by drshio?MH technology has advanced leaps and bounds from the days of when indoor growing was getting on its feet.

edited: here is doc shio's post, his view on it is pretty interesting imo
Check out Sunmaster Warm Deluxe (3000k MH) or the Sunpulse 3k. You get the best of both worlds IMO. I use a mix of Warm Deluxes and Cool Deluxes.

I believe the use of HPS stems from outdated lore. People started using them when indoor growing first started because they had the highest output of any bulb available, in the best spectrum (metal halides were junk). The metal halide technology has progressed considerably since then and has far surpassed the HPS.

People think that stretch happens during flower because they switch their plants from MH to HPS and their plants freak out because the HPS lacks so much spectrum. What the plants are really doing is trying to find the light (even though HPS provides a lot of light, it is not in the right spectrum the plant wants).

But here is the reality:

Each plant is bred a certain way and has genetic predispositions. Therefore the light the plant wants will highly depend on its breeder and genetics. If the breeder selected for largest yield using only HPS, then the plant will likely do best in all HPS. This is the same for fertiization - if the breeder selected for which plant thrived most using synthetics, it will perform best with synthetics - if the breeder used organics, it will perform best with organics.

Also, I think that dual-arc bulbs are a sham - you only get a 600W HPS and a 400W MH in a bulb - now place that at 1000W distance (due to 1000W heat) and the light hitting the plants is WEAK. Its like using a 400W MH next to a 600W HPS 18-24in from the plant, not okay.

the gnome

Veteran
i ran across this thread by etinarcadiaego from feb 2011 once again Mh in flower seems to be a plus :smoke:

I've done some side by side grows using my AK-47 & Sour D as the gold standard and the 600 watt SunPulse Digital Halide (3K for Flower) does outproduce my Horti EYE HPS. I've found that yield is slightly better, but density and maturation time are both markedly improved, I also get solid/mature buds about 3" further down the main colas with a MH in my SCROG setup that when I run an HPS.

The main reason I started looking for an alternative to my HPS was that I noticed that only the top 8-10" of my plants were top-shelf, fat, grade A nuggage, and I thought I could do better in terms of yield. To some extent I also noticed my plants had to much space at the internodes after the flip, and after months of experimenting with different lamps in side/by/side comparative grows, I've found the Sun Pulse lamps that keep 'em shorter and get 'em fatter, and honestly I've never been happier, and believe me I don't get paid to say this, Sun Pulse has no idea who I am, lol - I'm just speaking from experience.

The Sun Pulse lamps are designed specially for use in E-Ballasts, and are called "Pulse start" Halide lamps, they come is several "flavors" for various uses, but I've found that lumen maintenance is outstanding, and

Ive never seen tighter buds or shorter internodes with another lamp. At the very least if you're running an electronic ballast give Sun Pulse a try,
I can all but guarantee you, you'll be re-thinking the HPS is for flower slogan.