What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS in bloom

the gnome

Veteran
DID YOU USE AN AIRCOOLED HOOD WITH LENS OF WITHOUT?OR SIMPLY WHAT TYPE OF HOOD DO YOU USE?
I used a can 50 filter ducted into 2 cooltubes w/1000w bulbs using 1-HPS and 1-Mh
and an elicient 150B 6" inline exhausting everything outside.

ive never bloomed under a mh but will be this time
smile.gif

awsome thread!

hi guy
one thing to remember is you may not get the same results as I did,
its very possible other strains make not like an all Mh grow and vice-versa with hps.
if you had several strains to use it may increase your chances for a better outcome

Last edited:

guy fawkes

Veteran
I used a can 50 filter ducted into 2 cooltubes w/1000w bulbs using 1-HPS and 1-Mh
and an elicient 150B 6" inline exhausting everything outside.

hi guy
one thing to remember is you may not get the same results as I did,
its very possible other strains make not like an all Mh grow and vice-versa with hps.
if you had several strains to use it may make for a better outcome... maybe?

il probs do the same as yourself mate i have a similar set up but with 2 x 600w hps , ive just always took it as a rule hps was better but it seem that is not 100% true,

the gnome

Veteran
looks like 2+ oz easily on the mh side..... pretty impressive..
the Mh side is more like 11g's shy of a QP :)

il probs do the same as yourself mate i have a similar set up but with 2 x 600w hps ,

ive just always took it as a rule hps was better but it seem that is not 100% true,

same here GF,
I just followed the crowd on the HPS line of thought
although I aware you could use Mh in bloom but would get smaller yields.

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One ? for ya gnome...were both bulbs brand new? I seem to get really big buds first run with a brand new light hps or mh.
Just wondering, last two weeks this round im gonna switch to m/h to see if i can notice a dif.

Awesome work man thanks for posting your results :wave:

the gnome

Veteran
One ? for ya gnome...were both bulbs brand new? I seem to get really big buds first run with a brand new light hps or mh.
Just wondering, last two weeks this round im gonna switch to m/h to see if i can notice a dif.

hey critter
the HPS horti eye was on it 3rd bloom run
with an average 70-80days per run
the solar max Mh I would say it a good 7-9 veg runs so its about ready to start getting its senior citizens discount :biggrin:

Grizz

Veteran

think it would be better to use the MH the first 6 weeks and the hps the last two or 3 weeks,

growshopfrank

Veteran
this thread has got me thinking
on my next run I'm going to use HPS lamps for the first 6 weeks (when the bulk of the flowering takes place) then swap the HPS lamps for MH for ripening
my reasoning is that the plants can use all the light that i can provide when they are growing aggressively so the HPS would be best
the MH provides less light but adds UV that helps ripening but also breaks down some glands so this makes me think that the MH would be a good finisher for a better product

the gnome

Veteran
think it would be better to use the MH the first 6 weeks and the hps the last two or 3 weeks,

I mentioned earlier in this thread I noticed the HPS side trichs ripened up a bit quicker, but forgot about it
so I plan on adding HPS as a finishing lite on my 1st mh-bloom-n-veg grow and compare it against using Mh all thru bloom and see what shakes out.

this thread has got me thinking
on my next run I'm going to use HPS lamps for the first 6 weeks (when the bulk of the flowering takes place) then swap the HPS lamps for MH for ripening

hey GSF
thats exactly what got me started down this path of using Mh for the entire grow!
adding Mh after 4-5 weeks bloom trying to stimulate resin production.
results were never conclusive either way.

it's what I did for the 2 runs before that last one when I said fukit!!
Im gonna leave the Mh in for the entire run and the results were much more than I ever thought possible.

its best the best damn thing Ive done in quite a while :smoke:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have learned the frost coverage from mh looks better is an optical illusion. the reason it looks frostier under the blue light is because of the massive amounts of uv in it compared to hps. so much that transition lens reacts to mh but not hps. A black light is pure uv, it will make your bud look the frostiest. Just think about a white shirt under a uv light it glows super bright but the darker color of skin underneath is really dull, thus accenting the white frost coverage even more. This is why high times photographs under black lights a bunch.

RB56

Veteran
I just switched back to MH at 12/12 + 5 weeks based on the strength of this demonstration. Whether or not it's conclusive doesn't matter to me - at least I know there is no obvious harm.

I really don't like working under HPS. Much easier to see what's going on under MH. I'd expect a lot of early warning signs to get missed under that Martian dusk crap.

Appreciate the practical information.

the gnome

Veteran
I just switched back to MH at 12/12 + 5 weeks based on the strength of this demonstration. Whether or not it's conclusive doesn't matter to me - at least I know there is no obvious harm.

I really don't like working under HPS. Much easier to see what's going on under MH. I'd expect a lot of early warning signs to get missed under that Martian dusk crap.

Appreciate the practical information.

going back to Mh in bloom after 5wks is what I originally started doing hoping to increase resin production but results were inconclusive,
I did 2 bloom runs like that and I didn't the nite/day results like I did running Mh all thru bloom in this last round

good thing I got switchable ballasts I think I'm going to do my own side by side

old Gnome's adage....
if you don't try
you don't get ;)

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i will be trying this out with some 4000k MH in my lumatek 600's this next go around with tested clones so i should be able to see if there's any real difference for me.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
here is my 600hps and 600mh side by side mixed spectrum tent. next im gonna run full MH and see the difference. bought one digilux 600mh and i will get 2 cheap 4k mh bulbs off ebay and see what happens. it'll be good to get rid of that orange glow lol

Attachments

• P8260624.JPG
    P8260624.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Latest posts