What's new

mazar I shariff RSC line roms

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hello everyone,
tiphat.gif

I do not know Roms, sorry. But there is a chapter called " History of Cannabis Taxonomy "(p.314-317), I cand send you the text if you want, the last picture belongs to there.
Can recommend their book, it is a great source for further reading and alone the References are worth their money.
Also thanks to you for sharing these genetics, that's truly kind.
Below is the paragraph (p. 326-327) out of which the pictures are abstracted, hope it is okay to post it here for further clarification.
If not, please delete.

Cheers

By hoping few pages it's ok, thank you for the upload Az'! :)

We were talking about it but I could not read precisely these pages thanks again! About this picture with small plants it is famous, a strain named watani in South Afghanistan.
In opposite to the big Mazari strain in North! Is ssp. afghanica really small?

But not to mention taxonomy which is interesting to understand why are these plants so small? Only not enough water ? In principle it is due to the altitude as for all plants in Nature but here it is in Kandahar, only 1000m altitude! (?) I think this dwarf must be able to come from a higher place in the Northeast not far from the Kunar river in Pakistan and the Kafiristanica (Nuristan origin) ancestor thing. Simply i think that there is another ancestor indica and it is BLD dwarf and acclimated to the high +2500m. Anyway the true of things can be succeed with DNA, will see! BTW a new "watani" dwarf line is on the way to us, thanks very much to Punch for this fresh import direct from friends in Afghanistan! I can not wait to explore them!

Vibes Aza, cheers!

Last edited:
G

Great info,guys!
I am in the sad position to announce that both of my plants turned out male...I kinda expected it because they were surrounded by 15 females(or this isn't the case?Could it be that I was worried about space and they heard me? :biggrin: I would keep a female even at the balcony to try this great strain...)Happened to me last year,too with the only 2 regular seeds.So,probably next year... I might try to sex them a bit earlier in the closet and take a clone next time.

A pic to see the leaf traits,the right one(light green) had a very particular shape...

fXfstI0.jpg

Vibez brother Roms! :tiphat:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Ahah your 15 fem next to, i understand why the left one also turn male! So you cut them off? No cross game? :biggrin:

G

Alas,bro,my space i so very limited that even if I wanted to pollinate just a few,I am afraid there would be a lot more :biggrin:And they had started stretching a lot and were quite lanky...The one smelled almost exactly like basil,the other one I think was more strawberry hash .:)
But I'll be back! :tiphat:

ngakpa

Veteran
Just popped five RSC Mazar seeds in Happy Frog soil. I dont presoak seeds, so they were planted directly into the soil and I was seeing germination within 48 hours. All seedlings are healthy and continue to grow at a comparable rate.

On a side note, these plants mean the world to me. As a combat veteran of Afghanistan, it goes beyond words to be able to cultivate this particular offering. My aim is to gather more seeds and work this line to treat PTSD. Thank you to Namka and RSC for making this line available.

Thanks for the kind words, always good to receive credit for the minor role played in getting these seeds to people who want to grow them

ngakpa

Veteran
About China

Xinjiang is not the only province where Cannabis is smoked.South of it you've Yunnan with minorities like the Hmong.

Older pics (1980s) of indica like Cannabis in Yunnan

The Hmong traditionally grow hemp landraces for fibre and seed

They don't have a tradition of growing for ganja or hashish

Where you find Hmong growing ganja landraces it's where they've migrated south out of China into traditional cultivation regions such as Laos and Thailand

ie where they are growing Thai/Lao landraces

Yunnanese cannabis is hemp, so you are unlikely to find significant levels of THC in a genuine Yunnanese landrace

ngakpa

Veteran
Hi Cross Fox! Good luck with them to finding the good zen medicinel And if you need more seeds to explore feel free to mail my ataoseedsco, ascollection@mail2tor.com.

Ya know this thread is about my line started in 2009 and my seeds are now F3bx2 so far from the RSC import in facts! And in the other hand RSC today MIS seeds are not true landrace imported, they are breeded indoor so it is their line now, cousin of mine but not really the same! ;) So now i think it would be better to create another thread for the MIS of RSC with Ngakpa words and things about his line, selection, pheno, terpenes, potency et cetera.

As Jahgreenlabel had said...

About China thanx Mex' for the comparison!
Even if the Chinese canna culture was more focused on fibers, foods and medicine in general terms. Just a few tribes use it as recreational and smoke right?...

hi Roms,

In fairness, the photos of Jahgreenlabel are a handful of plants that he grew from the first generation of the 2007 accession

It's not accurate (I'm trying to be polite here) to suggest that such a small sample is representative of the full potential of the Mazari landrace

I mean, literally those first-generation plants are from exactly the same 2007 RSC accession that you obtained your Mazari seeds from!!! :)

Also, I don't know if you are intentionally misrepresenting RSC, but as clearly stated, the RSC Mazari has been maintained by open pollination (not 'selection')

I'm very happy for people to use the seeds I collected at source in 2007 to breed with - it's one of the main purposes of collecting them.

But it's regretable to see this type of behaviour from fellow landrace enthusiasts.

More to the point:

A whole lot more first-generation seeds of several authentic Afghan landraces are going to be made available to people soon, (so if you're in this for the money I hope for your sake that you haven't mortgaged your house on it....)

ngakpa

Veteran
Hello everyone, :tiphat:

I do not know Roms, sorry. But there is a chapter called " History of Cannabis Taxonomy "(p.314-317), I cand send you the text if you want, the last picture belongs to there.
Can recommend their book, it is a great source for further reading and alone the References are worth their money.

Cheers

personally, I don't get why folks get so obsessed by taxonomy

but for people who are:

for any question of cannabis taxonomy, and particularly regarding broad-leaflet Asian populations, my advice is - for what's it worth - to focus on work by Ernest Small

he's a taxonomist specializing in hemp and other crop plants

from what I've seen first-hand in Asia and of authentic Asian landraces, Small has the only worthwhile taxonomy:

cannabis is one species, Cannabis sativa

all 'drug' cannabis is in Cannabis sativa ssp. indica

all domesticated drug cannabis (Afghan, Thai etc.) is Cannabis sativa ssp. indica var. indica

all feral or wild drug cannabis is Cannabis sativa ssp. indica var. kafiristanica

there's a full spectrum of intergradation between all cultigens and between their respective feral forms

I'd ignore Schultes or anything derived from Schultes

ngakpa

Veteran
By hoping few pages it's ok, thank you for the upload Az'! :)

About this picture with small plants it is famous, a strain named watani in South Afghanistan.
In opposite to the big Mazari strain in North! Is ssp. afghanica really small?

But not to mention taxonomy which is interesting to understand why are these plants so small? In principle it is due to the altitude as for all plants in Nature but here it is in Kandahar, only 1000m altitude! (?) I think this dwarf must be able to come from a higher place in the Northeast not far from the Kunar river in Pakistan and the Kafiristanica (Nuristan origin) ancestor thing. Simply i think that there is another ancestor indica and it is BLD dwarf and acclimated to the high +3000m. Anyway the true of things can be succeed with DNA, will see! BTW a new "watani" dwarf line is on the way to us, thanks very much to Punch for this fresh import direct from friends in Afghanistan! I can not wait to explore them!

Vibes Aza, cheers!

there are many dwarf/semi-dwarf cultigens cultivated in Afghanistan

it's implausible that anyone, even a farmer familiar with these strains, could know with certainty what cultigen that is next to Schultes based on a photo of one female plant from 1973 (I merely speculated about the Watani landrace a year or so ago, now I see this being shared in forums as fact)

we would all benefit if people could be a little more honest about what is speculation and what is knowledge, what is fantasy and what is truth

also, one of this new rash of ostensible 'sources' of genuine landraces has been sharing a dwarf strain as Mazari, so that is reason to regard them as yet another unreliable player

(obviously the stuff in the above quote about taxonomy is unreliable)

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
hi Roms,

In fairness, the photos of Jahgreenlabel are a handful of plants that he grew from the first generation of the 2007 accession

It's not accurate (I'm trying to be polite here) to suggest that such a small sample is representative of the full potential of the Mazari landrace

I mean, literally those first-generation plants are from exactly the same 2007 RSC accession that you obtained your Mazari seeds from!!!
smile.gif

Ya that's why JGL opened this thread ;)
My MIS line is from a lucky selection with then backcrosses. He just mentioned the difference between my potent first F2s and your landrace import logically different.

Also, I don't know if you are intentionally misrepresenting RSC, but as clearly stated, the RSC Mazari has been maintained by open pollination (not 'selection')
"misrepresenting" wow you make it upside down? Why not thankz me for the RSC promotion since years with my MIS F2s and the Kerala that you used the photos to sell your seeds, but sorry without the simple respect of the author. A detail but that makes sense imho.

"open pollination" lol the big word and notion a bit overused... That makes me think about the opposite good maxim "save the best forget the rest". I mean if you use "bad" hemp parents for an open pollination is it really good? Genetically yes it seems good (even if all depends on parent's numbers) but qualitatively it also depends on quality or not of the parents. An "open pollination" could also damage a landrace or heirloom genetic in the sense of rarefy its good and best traits and properties that delight us. Without the human hand cannabis becomes feral and its values gradually disappear in genetic dilution. We know how different specimens there can be in an unique landrace/heirloom, rare of them are really potent/terperny. I think everything is first proportional to a good selection in definitive. Well let's select 100 f x 100 m or 1K x 1K for a real good "open pollination".
wink.gif

(so if you're in this for the money I hope for your sake that you haven't mortgaged your house on it....)
I'm not in this kind of game at all! My first passion is the seeds sharing, selling is the option number two and not my motor at start.

Anyway i'm in no hurry and not worried about my artisanat named Atao seeds collection, business evolution or not i am satisfied ^^

A whole lot more first-generation seeds of several authentic Afghan landraces are going to be made available to people soon,
Cool, please open threads about them like for the MIS!
Have a good one and long life to RSC
tiphat.gif

ngakpa

Veteran
OK, but if that's so, then why would you care either way about a separate thread?

Looks to me a lot like you're still inflating your work and disparaging the open-pollinated generation still available

Don't get me wrong, I'd also encourage anyone to make a separate thread

For the record, the current RSC batch is likely the last open pollination that will be run for the 2007 Mazar-i-Sharif accession

I'd respond to what you said about open pollination if I could make sense of it

Yes, the Kerala photo is appreciated, but we both know that the use of the term 'selection' to describe open pollination is totally misleading - directly contrary, in fact

The principle of using open pollination is to keep as much variation in the population as feasibly possible in order that growers themselves can have a diverse population on which to do artificial selection

The only cultigens for which there's any intention among people involved with RSC to do single-plant selections are the ganja landraces, because that's how ganja landraces are maintained traditionally

hope that's cleared things up

thanks

herbgreen

Veteran
This is a pathetic display Roms

You realize the only reason you have this strain in the first place is ngakpa

You act like because you made an IBL knock-off from a direct import brought to you by ngakpa that somehow these later open pollinations offered in the spirit of genetic diversity are inferior to the starting material that you have used to make your selected inbred line version!

I know what you are saying and its really pathetic sounding....

Why not beg for a thank-you while youre at it???

The spirit of this is to find what you like and run with it and also keep genetic diversity with open pollination

IBLs are subjective

And great, thanks for sharing but damn Remember the source at all ???

It comes across like biting the hand that feeds you!

And indulgent self promotion while you knock the source and beg for thank-yous...ouch, what the hell.

Bad JuJu.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
OK, but if that's so, then why would you care either way about a separate thread?

Precisely because this thread is about a selected line.

Looks to me a lot like you're still inflating your work and disparaging the open-pollinated generation still available
The special specimen that I had the chance to find, reproduce and fructify is the key. It is all about this rare strawberry gum mom and its start breeding line. It represents quite a difference compared to the general panorama of the MIS that you promote here even with open poll.

I know what you are saying and its really pathetic sounding....

What i find pathetic is the way we can confuse and reverse roles in facts... I have enough thank and promote RSC and Ngakpa for several years here and elsewhere. (Thanks again to photos that were used commercially without my agreement or respect). Well times goes by and now iam a seed maker who simply try to preserve the work done and its integrity. My gratitude to RSC source goes without saying i think! Respect for the landrace imports at first but the next breeding process and release is another thing, many differences can arise, MIS is a good example.

ngakpa

Veteran
Mate, that's dishonest and you well know it. That was an oversight by me not to contact you, and we cleared it up in a friendly way in 2010. I have the emails right in front of me.

Why behave like this?

I've not asked you for any thanks. I've simply pointed out how unnecessary it is to engage in misrepresentation and disparagement in order to sell your seeds.

If you want this thread to yourself, why behave like this?

@herbgreen - I appreciate the good intention of your post, but really I'm not looking for glory or praise.

herbgreen

Veteran
@herbgreen - I appreciate the good intention of your post, but really I'm not looking for glory or praise.

Yeah, I get that...

but that's a bizarre series of posts

You made your points clear enough

was more for my own sanity

Good Luck y'all :biggrin:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Mate, that's dishonest and you well know it. That was an oversight by me not to contact you, and we cleared it up in a friendly way in 2010. I have the emails right in front of me.

lol what you do is sophism at its paroxysm! To accuse me of dishonesty is a complete shame! Well consider yourself happy that I remain courteous after all this time and shit said against me for years. Trying to taint my reputation is a vain exercise man.

Btw it was also "an oversight by you" to not contact PTG or Jahgreenlabel for their MIS pictures on your .com?

Why behave like this?

^^

ngakpa

Veteran
Roms, are you ok?

You're trying to create a controversy out of a minor misunderstanding we resolved in a friendly way like... 8 years ago lol :)

What's the point of this?

literally nobody is benefiting from you behaving like this, least of all you

Until about 2010, I took the view that anybody who posted a photo in a public forum on the Internet understood that they were releasing it into the public domain

Releasing it into the public domain means something - it means that they're making it available for free use

Publishers or anyone can use them and I thought people understood that when they posted them, like that was the spirit in which they were sharing them

Neither of those guys have said anything negative to me about whichever photos you're referring to: they were all posted with reviews on forums I was active on. All communication I've had with them has been friendly.

These days I make a point of contacting people before using photos to avoid any tension or confusion

Anyway, like I say, I hope you're alright

Latest posts

Latest posts