• 20181231_124930.jpg
    20181231_124930.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20181231_124943.jpg
    20181231_124943.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 20

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
And Dr. Kerry is very knowledgeable. He tells the facts as if a native of the islands passing it on to us who are fortunate for Pua Mana Ohana and their incredible contributions for saving the legendary Hawaiian landraces

S

Sertaiz

wow good timing buzzmobile. looking great. would love a smoke report.

Lolo94

The plant shown in Rocky Mtn Squids photo resembles a well known Swaziland variety grown in the islands in the 80s and 90s. It would grow 3 feet or so during short season and up to 8 feet long season. Grew it in upper and lower Puna and Hilo in the early 90s. Seeds were originally gotten from uncle who had grown it 10+ years on the big island. Plants had 2 phenotypes, one lime green the other darker green. Resembled a pure sativa with fluffy buds and thinner leaves. Small trichomes and resin looked more like ice than the current powdery sugar of modern buds. High was electric but could also produce a hangover the next morning if overdone. Ran my fastest 10 mile run ever from Richardsons through Hilo and back after smoking it. Last i heard friends and family still have it in Hawaii. Crossed a male to Red Congolese for my current go to variety.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
didn't H.R. warmke work in Hawaii with u.s. government funding?

trying to eradicate cannabis through polyploid COLCHICINE introduction?

marijuana potency the book has outlined his work may have spread strains..

or LEGEND?

J-Icky

Most weed and hash had names in our area. I went with a buddy to pick up some hash. It was the most I ever saw in one place. Must have been 50 pounds. I asked "what kind is it" he said "any kind you want it to be." Another time with weed a friend's brother was growing (we helped ever year) and he said "what kind do you want it to be?"

I never asked again and would chuckle when I'd hear someone say "this is <insert strain here>."

I'm pretty sure I saw thai stick though.

That’s how things have always been, and still are in my part of the Midwest. Could buy a bag one time and the guy would say it’s White Widow. Next time, same exact bud, same colors, smells, tastes, and he’d be calling it NL #5. Then go back again and again same as previous 2 times and he’s asking more and claiming it’s G13.
I’d love to laugh about it but it’s this exact thing that has caused so many fake strains. People buy a bag and are told it’s soemthing it’s not, find seeds and start growing it as that when it’s a completely different strain or cross. Worse is when they grow it and start calling it a whole new thing based on what’s hyped at that time.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
That’s how things have always been, and still are in my part of the Midwest. Could buy a bag one time and the guy would say it’s White Widow. Next time, same exact bud, same colors, smells, tastes, and he’d be calling it NL #5. Then go back again and again same as previous 2 times and he’s asking more and claiming it’s G13.
I’d love to laugh about it but it’s this exact thing that has caused so many fake strains. People buy a bag and are told it’s soemthing it’s not, find seeds and start growing it as that when it’s a completely different strain or cross. Worse is when they grow it and start calling it a whole new thing based on what’s hyped at that time.

Lol yeah in my parts these guys don't know strains and names except the things they hear....like WW, BB, OG Kush. But 99% of the people I know that's not on icmag knows very little about strains and have grew the real things. Most people used to just call it Chronic or Killer....the shit that killed Elvis. I've grew alot of different strains the last 20 yrs and can tell certain strains or crosses, from smoking/ tasting them.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
way back when..n late 60's , there were no names... it was mexican, or colombian, or jamacian... thats it.. on occassion we'd get some thai stick, but names... never...

Lolo94

pretty brazen i know, but i'd be way into trying a few of your family's seeds. a good buddy is chasing something he had long ago, and the effects sound like what he describes. he's been looking/breeding for about 20 yrs.

I believe it would be difficult to recreate the exact quality of the high of the old sativa strains without recreating the growing environment, harvesting, and curing techniques. Even when grown from the same seed generation, the Swazi showed minor variability in the high depending on the microclimate grown in.
The 3 microclimates i grew it in on the big island vary in rainfall, temperature, and elevation. The electric high effect was still produced but the variation was in the comedown. The cleanest comedown came from the higher elevation (3000+ feet). This was surprising due to more temperate climate and highest rainfall. The buds also looked the ugliest there.

S

Sertaiz

my hanai uncle grows here on big island, about 3000 malka hamakua side. its ugly, got pulled early, but went as big as the house and makes fire edibles with no comedown, has me running circles in the grass at midnight with my dog

right now we are going through old stashedseeds from other uncles, hehe , just found a nice webbed duckfoot strain with pink leaf stems

S

Sertaiz

naw its from an uncle who is in his seventies, from years ago. i should probably preserve it... we have to grow it out first and check quality.

Lolo94

my hanai uncle grows here on big island, about 3000 malka hamakua side. its ugly, got pulled early, but went as big as the house and makes fire edibles with no comedown, has me running circles in the grass at midnight with my dog

right now we are going through old stashedseeds from other uncles, hehe , just found a nice webbed duckfoot strain with pink leaf stems

Duckfoot (if its the same one) is also a nice strain. Much more mold resistant, taller, and tighter buds than Swazi. I grew it also in upper Puna in the early 90s. It was Sativa looking and in its effects but not quite as energetic as the Swazi. Leaves were dark green with pink leaf stems. This strain was in the islands in the 80s as we used to get it in high school.
Never heard of Pua Mana Ohana back then.

Stellarpandaz

Pua Mana Ohana wrote that. I bought his version of Maui Wowie last year. The first flower is in its eighth week now.
Maui Wowie

There is an earthy musky scent to this one.

So this looks pretty close to the maui wowie cut that was floating around Nor-Hum the leaves & bud structures are really close...did they start to fade as they ripened?

buzzmobile

Veteran
So this looks pretty close to the maui wowie cut that was floating around Nor-Hum the leaves & bud structures are really close...did they start to fade as they ripened?
It's in the 8th week now so the answer is yes. I took these photos yesterday.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pistils are still white so it may be another 2-3 weeks before harvest.

I have 2 other females from the batch of seeds. Here is the second one in its third week of flower.
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1081619.jpg
    P1081619.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 23
  • P1081617.jpg
    P1081617.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 21
  • P1081612.jpg
    P1081612.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 23
  • P1081611.jpg
    P1081611.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 19
  • P1081604.jpg
    P1081604.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 23
  • P1081605.jpg
    P1081605.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 28
  • P1081608.jpg
    P1081608.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 23
  • P1081609.jpg
    P1081609.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 17

grayeyes

Contrary to the sales gimmick that started this post, here is what the man says from the grave:

Sorry to arrive late at this thread. RM's 'Cherry Bomb' was not a 'strain' per se, at least not in the sense that my CB is. In my opinion, you shouldn't use the term strain unless you've inbred that seedline exclusively for 6-7 generations or so. No way did RM do that with his CB. Cherry Bomb was the name I chose for my strain of 'Maui Wowee' when I obtained the original 7 seeds. That was in the year 1977, so I'd say my choice of name predates ALL others...yes?

It is a brilliant piece that continues but I think that covers the bs.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Pua Mana Ohana wrote that. I bought his version of Maui Wowie last year. The first flower is in its eighth week now.
Maui Wowie

There is an earthy musky scent to this one.

That guy offers Molokai Frost for $133.By my knowledge that variety was a gift to the community.Sharing is caring, not selling.

noknees

I believe it would be difficult to recreate the exact quality of the high of the old sativa strains without recreating the growing environment, harvesting, and curing techniques. Even when grown from the same seed generation, the Swazi showed minor variability in the high depending on the microclimate grown in.
The 3 microclimates i grew it in on the big island vary in rainfall, temperature, and elevation. The electric high effect was still produced but the variation was in the comedown. The cleanest comedown came from the higher elevation (3000+ feet). This was surprising due to more temperate climate and highest rainfall. The buds also looked the ugliest there.

have you considered running for office? :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts