What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maui Wowie

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
And it better not be by greyskull or I'll just straight up ignore you.... Let's see something highly reliable....

SurfdOut

Veteran
I think you should do your own research or just buy some of Kerry's seeds and find out first hand. Lol

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I've been doing just that all day just trying to get some authentic Hawaiian lines like I was gifted a 1990 Hawaiian sativa but not sure what this is and it isn't from Pua Mana Ohana not sure of it but may pop it and show it here on this thread.. SurfdOut you have any experience with the legitimate Hawaiian strains? Just curious

Lolo94

I've been doing just that all day just trying to get some authentic Hawaiian lines like I was gifted a 1990 Hawaiian sativa but not sure what this is and it isn't from Pua Mana Ohana not sure of it but may pop it and show it here on this thread.. SurfdOut you have any experience with the legitimate Hawaiian strains? Just curious

I am curious what is considered an authentic Hawaiian line these days? How many generations does it have to rebred/inbred on the islands to be considered authentic? Will all the growing seasons, new strains can be quickly created in a matter of several years.

axle2u

When I was younger, around 16/17 I was privy to get some of this. This was in the late 70's and early 80's.

Are there any breeders out there that offer this strain even if it is only partially from the original.

interesting request....
70's-80s maui wowie ....what did it look like, smell like taste like
how was the buzz...?

curious...

-axle

axle2u

During the 70's and 80's any good paka lolo (hawaiin herb, although I probably spelled it wrong) was called Maui Wowie on the mailand. And just like Panama Red and Acapulco Gold, while there once was a specific strain with these names, they no longer exist in their pure natural form.

-KRS Juan-

cool...

panama red, what that taste like, smell like ?
curious...

thanks,

axle

mexweed

Veteran
so has anyone noticed a particular musk in hawaiian strains?

I noticed it in pineapple express and the only other time I have smelled it was golden goat which has a hawaiian romulan father

there is also that kind of acrid dare I say slightly spicy hazey thing going on that at times almost seems kind of lemon but because of the musk comes off more tropical, have noticed it in the maui wowie I have had too but would say it's a bit more acrid/noticeable in pineapple express and golden goat

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I am curious what is considered an authentic Hawaiian line these days? How many generations does it have to rebred/inbred on the islands to be considered authentic? Will all the growing seasons, new strains can be quickly created in a matter of several years.

Strains that are from the lands or even have been growing with or without influence of humans for let's say a few hundred years if not longer..kinda like you have south American lines or Columbians or like what's found in Japan not saying the lines have to there prior to humans as cannabis has been spread through the world by humans animals and who knows how else... That's my definition in the best way I can project it in words

SurfdOut

Veteran
Well cannabis isn't native to Hawaii, it has only been here around 200 years brought by the Chinese immigrants. There are still plenty old sativas being grown in the islands but it really is the environment that makes the difference more so than the uniqueness of the genetics.

Lolo94

Well cannabis isn't native to Hawaii, it has only been here around 200 years brought by the Chinese immigrants. There are still plenty old sativas being grown in the islands but it really is the environment that makes the difference more so than the uniqueness of the genetics.

Its definitely the environment. You can also grow the same strain in diferrent areas of Hawaii and get varying results. The same strain grown in Puako wont be identical to one grown near Volcano.

Stellarpandaz

How do you compare a picture that is too far to judge the call and what not lol environmental factors come in the blue Cookieberry Crunch I'm growing could look different in your tent than mine at home. Like for instance grow whatever under a HPS then again with an LED then again with a CMH I guarantee you'll see some difference ;) also mess with different feeds etc... Many many many variables

The same cut grown by different people in slightly different micro climates using completely different styles of growing (cocoVs.Soil) all outside or in a greenhouse consistently producing the same growth pattern,colors, flavors &smells.. Now a hps isnt the sun & someones seed isnt gonna be the same as a chosen clone...but if they're similaritys in stages of growth you can usually distinguish & see there characteristics no matter what week of flower.. Like you could easily tell the relation of stardawg to chemdawg..things like leafe shape, branch structure, bud shape, calyx structure this all has todo with how you can identify possible parental characteristics in a plant. I agree cant really compare using a picture lol & idk how or what the setup is.. but i do see unique traits that ive only notice in the MWcut thats all..

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
L

Thanks for your response SurfdOut but as my text stated a "few hundred years plus" gives a strain enough time to acclimate to the lovely Hawaiian lands adapting new characteristics possibly. Mind if I get any links as a reference or is it hearsay? Again all I'm trying to do is become more educated so if you don't mind enlightening me?

Lolo94

L

Thanks for your response SurfdOut but as my text stated a "few hundred years plus" gives a strain enough time to acclimate to the lovely Hawaiian lands adapting new characteristics possibly. Mind if I get any links as a reference or is it hearsay? Again all I'm trying to do is become more educated so if you don't mind enlightening me?

Good luck finding those old Chinese and Dutch strains, especially without local connections. After reading what Surfd Out wrote i checked with a local relative in his 70s and he told me that he had heard about people growing in Waipio from his Aunty in the 40s and 50s but it was small scale. Waipio had alot of Chinese rice farmers back then and plenty of Hapa Chinese Hawaiians before the hippies came in the 60s so its lends credence to the chinese connection.

Its been fun talkin story. Not the same as Richardsons or Honolii but interesting nontheless. In parting attached are photos of the Swazi (leafier) and Swazi x Hilo backyard.

A Hui Hou

Attachments

• Swazi x Hilo backyard 2010.jpg
    Swazi x Hilo backyard 2010.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Swazi 2010.jpg
    Swazi 2010.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 20

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Good luck finding those old Chinese and Dutch strains, especially without local connections. After reading what Surfd Out wrote i checked with a local relative in his 70s and he told me that he had heard about people growing in Waipio from his Aunty in the 40s and 50s but it was small scale. Waipio had alot of Chinese rice farmers back then and plenty of Hapa Chinese Hawaiians before the hippies came in the 60s so its lends credence to the chinese connection.

Its been fun talkin story. Not the same as Richardsons or Honolii but interesting nontheless. In parting attached are photos of the Swazi (leafier) and Swazi x Hilo backyard.

A Hui Hou

Thanks that definitely makes some sense so Chinese landraces just acclimated to Hawaii that's pretty cool! I hope this 1990 Hawaiian sativa is something old school and not some watered down hybrid or backcross

SurfdOut

Veteran
@lolo94 I just moved away from Puna because of what the eruption did to Pohoiki, Honolii too damn cold. Lol Back on the NS Oahu doing a legal 2000 plant grow.

The immigrants brought a lot of thier staple plants, but I'm pretty sure the strains you guys are interested in are of more recent introduction. The BOEL guys really liked the Mexican weed(more so than the Thai Sticks) and that is most likely the source of Maui Wowie from the boat.

@emperor What links are you looking for? No matter what the strain Kona Gold, Kauai Electric, etc. you are really wasting your time looking for those as they aren't gonna be that special unless you grow them here. I'm sure you have read what DJ Short has said about Hawaiian lines.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
@lolo94 I just moved away from Puna because of what the eruption did to Pohoiki, Honolii too damn cold. Lol Back on the NS Oahu doing a legal 2000 plant grow.

The immigrants brought a lot of thier staple plants, but I'm pretty sure the strains you guys are interested in are of more recent introduction. The BOEL guys really liked the Mexican weed(more so than the Thai Sticks) and that is most likely the source of Maui Wowie from the boat.

@emperor What links are you looking for? No matter what the strain Kona Gold, Kauai Electric, etc. you are really wasting your time looking for those as they aren't gonna be that special unless you grow them here. I'm sure you have read what DJ Short has said about Hawaiian lines.

Doesn't change my direction for desire for such strains and working with a strain for enough time gives me a chance to be able to understand it better and dial them in to my perceptional quality which is a pretty high standard not judging for density just quality of high that soaring super intense kinda stuff I do appreciate your response and all just doesn't deter me

:tiphat:

Lolo94

Crazy what happened to Pohoiki. Looks pretty though. I remember when Royal Gardens and Kalapana got wiped out. Kalapana was one of my favorite places. Really liked Queens bath too unless it was full of hippies.

Good luck with the adventure. Hopefully the focus is on sativas no matter what their name is or where they come from. Was thinking of renaming the Hilo Backyard ( left by an old tenant and cloned by me) name to Kilauea Street Killas for the purpose of this thread. 😁

yo im in hawaii kai, when i get my grow shit together i gotta get you a couple samples and get a professional opinion, what do you do to deal with leaf miners?