What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maui Wowie

Frosy

Props to you all who are keeping that Cherry Bomb alive and growing! What are the choices available to someone who wants to get crack at growing some of these out? Is Reefeman still in business? Does the Nirvana catalog include any CB genes? Or maybe some freebies/testers will show up here someday at the Boo?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mr.G gave a whole bunch of CB seeds to the server fund a year or so ago, so there are some out there somewhere.... ive spread a few around in the UK.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
So I smoked Cherry Bomb all day yesterday because I was inspired to do so by this thread. Trippy stuff...just super spaced out and gonzo'ed by the end of the day...pretty strong actually.
CC1

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Maui Wowie.....

The BOEL story is accurate...other details are that the Mexican half came from a region in the central Mexican hills.....not a highland type. I will contact a 'dude' and ask what region. I was told once but forgot the exact name.

The Mexican herb was named 'Lightning Bolt' after the boat that brought it to Hawaii....(from another source who was there).

Skip

Veteran
I got some Puna budder seeds I'm gonna crack soon... :)
Tasted the buds and it appears to be the real thing!

Now I just need to ask Pele for some grow guidance at this latitude.

I miss the real Maui Wowie.... I haven't lived there since the early 80s.

I did try several versions crossed with Diesel and other strains. Good but not the real thing.

Closest thing I've had so far in terms of effect is XXX. But I've never found the TASTE again.

That must be something Pele provides in Hawaii. ;)

Last edited:

oldhaole

Veteran
Herb wasn't brought to hawaii until the late 50s. As far as finding a true pure hawaiian indica or acapulco gold try drgreenthumb.com he does a lot of hard work getting the correct types. I thought greengenes was from kentucky? I heard his cherry bomb strain was from hawaii but was called the kentucky cherry bomb. Either way acclimatization to a new region can change the pheno/chemotype quite a bit. There are hawaiian sativas and indicas. Unfortunately many of the giant hawaiian sativas like hawaiian elephant are no more. But the real acapulco gold is available from dr.greenthumb. However to get the really good phenos to display its best grown outdoors.

Some inacuracies in this post...allow me to clean it up.

The oldtimers were talking about their grandfathers smoking herb brought in by the first waves of Chinese immigrants. They came in the 1830's to the 1850's.

The Polynesians did not bring them in their previous seven migrations.

Like almost everything MJ was introduced here. There are no native strains...sativa or indica.

When any species is brought here it evolves seperatly than its brothers and sisters elsewhere. It also evolves seperatly island to island. Due to our microclimates it also evolves differently area to area.

Acapulco Gold grown here many generations evolved into what we know as Blood or Bloodweed.

Elephant or Elephant Ear has not been lost. I grew it a couple of years back.

You can tell EE because of the huge sun leaves, and a couple of weeks before harvest all the hairs turn Orange.

Young EE

picture.php

Same top. Three weeks later.

picture.php

Here is another myth shattered.

There is no such thing as a single strain called Maui Wowie....any strain grown here can be called that....and probably has been.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Dr. J warmke cannabis scientist 1940

Dr. J warmke cannabis scientist 1940

the government paid joe warmke to genetically find a hybrid cannabis plant to be introduced to take out all cannabinoids from any cannabis plant he based operations in Hawaii.

the problem... he crossed and modified the cannabis and increased the cannabinoids the opposite of what was supposed to happen

The studies of H. E. Warmke et al. (1942-1944) seem to indicate that colchicine raised drug levels in Cannabis. It is unfortunate that Warmke was unaware of the actual psychoactive ingredients of Cannabis and was therefore unable to extract THC. His crude acetone extract and archaic techniques of bioassay using killifish and small freshwater crustaceans are far from conclusive. He was, however, able to produce both triploid and tetraploid strains of Cannabis with up to twice the potency of dip- bid strains (in their ability to kill small aquatic organisms). The aim of his research was to "produce a strain of hemp with materially reduced marijuana content" and his results indicated that polyploidy raised the potency of Cannabis without any apparent increase in fiber quality or yield.
http://cannabis.com/faqs/growing/advanced_breeding-what-is-
colchicine-and-how-is-it-used.html
Overall, treated plants showed a 166-250% increase in THC with respect to controls and a decrease of CBD (30-33%) and CBN (39-65%). CBD (cannabidiol) and CBN (cannabinol) are cannabinoids involved in the biosynthesis and degradation of THC.

He was based in Hawaii and there is evidence that some of his work spred outside the lab...:woohoo:

Nughugger

Maui wowie has not been lost. I know a grower in his 60s lives on Maui he has been growing Maui wowie since the beginning. His Maui is super fruity 12 to 14 week sativa has a slight haze smell with fruit being dominant but for me the leaves say it all each leaf pinn is tear drop shape with pronounced saw teeth every seed shows the same leaf like a true landrace. This man is the Maui bud man he don't lie or exaggerate if he says it's the Maui it is.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maui wowie has not been lost. I know a grower in his 60s lives on Maui he has been growing Maui wowie since the beginning. His Maui is super fruity 12 to 14 week sativa has a slight haze smell with fruit being dominant but for me the leaves say it all each leaf pinn is tear drop shape with pronounced saw teeth every seed shows the same leaf like a true landrace. This man is the Maui bud man he don't lie or exaggerate if he says it's the Maui it is.

Lol!!!!!

I've been on Maui looking for the 'Wowie' since I got here in November 2010. I've met growers who moved here as adults, as children, born and raised Maui, and growers who live in Hawaiian Homes....

How is it that even guys born and raised on the island, guys on the Westside in Lahaina, southside in Kihie/Wailea, upcountry in Kula, eastside in Hana... have not ever had the 'Wowie'?
But you mainland guys know where it is???
There's guys 5-6 generations deep that haven't ever smoked 'Maui Wowie' the strain. But your guy knows where it is, and still grows it, too?

Right.... he must know 'Uncle John in lower Nahiku' too, haha.
I fucking think not!!!!

LOL!

Maui Wowie is cannabis exported out of Maui.
It's not a variety.
It's not a cultivar.
It's what gets exported.

Look at the lines and how they connect and you see the picture.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I have read somewhere that Maui wawi was a hybrid of mex/thai and afghan did by B.o.e.l on maui island,but... i dont was born!

Stash

I've been digging in my seed stash to see what to grow next. Came across a cross called (Nevilles Haze x Maui Girl). Any one know what Maui Girl is made from? Only 3 seeds, I'm gonna grow um. Hoping for a male and a female from these very old seeds, to make some seeds. Later Stash

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Somebody is mad
Somebody is a RAT

Last edited:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
I always thought mr green genes cherry bomb was the wowie???? Or closest best representation of it???

CaptainDankness

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Greyskull Maui Wowie doesn't really sound like a specific strain. Just a good name to slap on good Hawaiian buds.

Of course someone could have found seeds in something called Maui Wowie and kept that name as if it was gospel. Could be some great weed still, which I guess would still be called Maui Wowie whether it's from Maui or even California.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Don't feed the trolls, watchus been spamming every Hawaiian related thread for hours with a link to some shady looking seed bank.

Mang that pic he posted caught my eye... who remembers 5LG Maui plant??? Sux he lost it before he could get her out to me or anyone else to keep it alive... it Looks just like his pic... sux to hear it's just another pop up seed scam.....