What's new

Maui Wowie

Stellarpandaz

It's in the 8th week now so the answer is yes. I took these photos yesterday.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

Pistils are still white so it may be another 2-3 weeks before harvest.

I have 2 other females from the batch of seeds. Here is the second one in its third week of flower.
View Image

Yes it definitley has the look but the maui cut in nor-hum had much more color to it in the dep house so growing conditions could be a variable forsure...i think the cut usually went 9weeks but cant remember exactly...the "maui" or w\e it was looked damn close to that geat right their...coincedence that this gear & the cut from humboldt extinct almost 10years now look similar...i think not.. I think youll find a keeper with characteristics like those..

buzzmobile

Veteran
Yes it definitley has the look but the maui cut in nor-hum had much more color to it in the dep house so growing conditions could be a variable forsure...i think the cut usually went 9weeks but cant remember exactly...the "maui" or w\e it was looked damn close to that geat right their...coincedence that this gear & the cut from humboldt extinct almost 10years now look similar...i think not.. I think youll find a keeper with characteristics like those..
I'd be happy if it went 9 weeks. I'd be happier to have a keeper. We shall see.

buzzmobile

Veteran
That guy offers Molokai Frost for $133.By my knowledge that variety was a gift to the community.Sharing is caring, not selling.
When I bought the Maui Wowie from Pua Mana Ohana it was on sale for $67. I have no knowledge of the story behind Molokai Frost.

herbgreen

Veteran
Contrary to the sales gimmick that started this post, here is what the man says from the grave:

Sorry to arrive late at this thread. RM's 'Cherry Bomb' was not a 'strain' per se, at least not in the sense that my CB is. In my opinion, you shouldn't use the term strain unless you've inbred that seedline exclusively for 6-7 generations or so. No way did RM do that with his CB. Cherry Bomb was the name I chose for my strain of 'Maui Wowee' when I obtained the original 7 seeds. That was in the year 1977, so I'd say my choice of name predates ALL others...yes?

It is a brilliant piece that continues but I think that covers the bs.

mr green genes is alive and around here somewhere.....:biggrin:

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
When I bought the Maui Wowie from Pua Mana Ohana it was on sale for $67. I have no knowledge of the story behind Molokai Frost.

Moloka'i Frost

In 1969 residents of the leper colony in Kalaupapa Moloka'i were finally allowed to depart the colony thanks to anti-biotics.

Another amazing medicine made its way out of the valley in Kalawao (pronounced ka-la-wow) that same fateful year, 1969.

Originally named Moloka'i Hashplant by local growers because of her frosty trichrome rich disposition and to distinguish Moloka'i Hashplant or Kalawao kine from her sweet Sativa cousin Maui Wowie ~ the most popular strain on Earth, who was given her catchy name during the same era.

A true Hawaiian legend was freed up fully frosting the scene and raging righteously into the 70's -- but the name did not last long as her name was soon changed when she traveled far from her homeland on Moloka'i to Hilo side on the Big Island of Hawai'i -- to the new and very accurate moniker:

Moloka'i Frost.

A powerful medicine indeed containing incredible mana in each seed -- the Hawaiian landrace Moloka'i Frost was given out to patients freely in the spirit of Aloha similar to her cousin Maui Wowie -- also shared with visiting patients.

Word traveled fast of her legendary medicinal qualities and Moloka'i Frost soon made her way around the globe and was made famous when featured in a Seattle newspaper article about dispensary Columbia River Holistic Health and their luscious and legendary superior strength medicinal Hawaiian landrace strain:

~Moloka'i Frost~. Copy and paste from the site

Lolo94

have you considered running for office? :biggrin:

Not a good BSer, so id never be a good politician.
Just trying to relate local experiences (personal and from friends and family) on the big island. Take it as you will. Two misconceptions id like to dispel though are that 1) The legendary strains from Hawaii were landraces and 2) The volcanic soil has anything to do with the quality of the high.

Based on what ive been told by friends and relatives who had been in the game a long time, the original legendary strains were created from what was brought in from the Vietnam war, hippies and surfers in the 60s and 70s.

Based on experience on the big island, there are few areas with virgin volcanic soil and much of the area is covered in pahoehoe and a'a lava. In the areas with soil, much of it was depleted based on decades of sugar cane production. Typically growers grow in grow bags or amend the soil with comercially available soil and nutrients or compost. The notable exceptions are the state forest below Volcano and the kipukas never recently covered by Lava or affected by sugar. In the days of green harvest planting in bags was advantageous since you could put the bags under bushes before they came for a visit. Didn't have that option in the ground.

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
Good read

I wonder if HH aka hawaiian is still active he can give u the info on the frost he sent out alot of seeds .. great dude

I do have a question what kind of other strains were in Hawaii in the late 80s? Were they growing other hybrids like skunk by then ?

noknees

Not a good BSer, so id never be a good politician.
Just trying to relate local experiences (personal and from friends and family) on the big island. Take it as you will. Two misconceptions id like to dispel though are that 1) The legendary strains from Hawaii were landraces and 2) The volcanic soil has anything to do with the quality of the high.

Based on what ive been told by friends and relatives who had been in the game a long time, the original legendary strains were created from what was brought in from the Vietnam war, hippies and surfers in the 60s and 70s.

Based on experience on the big island, there are few areas with virgin volcanic soil and much of the area is covered in pahoehoe and a'a lava. In the areas with soil, much of it was depleted based on decades of sugar cane production. Typically growers grow in grow bags or amend the soil with comercially available soil and nutrients or compost. The notable exceptions are the state forest below Volcano and the kipukas never recently covered by Lava or affected by sugar. In the days of green harvest planting in bags was advantageous since you could put the bags under bushes before they came for a visit. Didn't have that option in the ground.

my apologies, meant no disrespect! i meant you rather diplomatically declined my request (without even actually doing it) :) could see where you'd misunderstand though.

thanks for the info! :tiphat:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
Pua Mana Ohana’s MW........one pheno of......average at best.....and surely not what I remember the MW from late 70’s........

ganj on.......

Last edited:

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
More Hawaiian Meanderings

More Hawaiian Meanderings

When I use to hang out with my local hoodlum guerrilla growing buddies, they would sometimes take me to meet older growers who had been in the game for decades, and they would "talk story" sharing their knowledge with me. This of course didn't happen over night, since I was a haole boy, and outsider from the mainland. Over time, these crazy locals became my close friends, my brothers whom eventually learned and appreciated that I was just as crazy as them.

I will never forget one older grower that told me that the best weed in Hawaii came from Kauai, because it was the oldest island in geological terms, and thus, had the best soil.

I also remember all too well helping my buddies tend to their plants out in the north shore of Oahu, and none of them used soil that wasn't supplemented with store bought soil, fertilizer and compost. Chicken shit and horse shit (especially green horse shit) were the main staples. Climbing up and down treacherous mountain trails with a 75 pound pack sack on your back while being eaten alive by bugs was fun and adventurous back then.

Vis-a-vis if Hawaii had/has original land race strains, I know for a fact that Dutch settlers who came to Hawaii in the late 1800's brought with them all kinds of cannabis genetics. Moreover, they also brought coca seeds with them, and those coca plants eventually started growing wild out in the mountains and valleys.

Above is an actual old pic from 1981, with my crazy local buddy proudly showing off one of his coca plants. He kept them in mobile pots so that he could move them for security purposes, after catching one of his punk next door neighbors trying to steal them.

Back in those days, if you wanted rare and exotic genetics, there was no internet or ICMAG. The only way to ensure that you had quality genetics was to travel afar and get them. Yes, I personally knew of guys that had traveled to the Hindu Kush mountains and regions in Afghanistan to source seeds, who then brought them back to the islands.

The "rumor" was that the local Hawaiian Mob had vast plantations of coca growing, and were manufacturing their own Hawaiian yayo.
Operation Green Harvest was looking for weed, not coca. And besides, everybody knew that the local cops were extremely corrupt, and were paid hush money to look the other way.

I've actually seen them growing wild out in the mountains. I still remember going over to his house for the first time and chewing on the coca leaf, thinking I was going get buzzed as if I just snorted a bump. It wasn't like that at all.

RMS

:smoweed:

herbgreen

Veteran
I still remember going over to his house for the first time and chewing on the coca leaf, thinking I was going get buzzed as if I just snorted a bump. It wasn't like that at all.

Im interested.... what was the fresh coca leaf like?

It is one of many natural things ought to legalize completely

thanks.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
It tastes awful, very bitter and alkaline. I use to have an old girl friend that would travel to Peru on business. She use to go to the local market in Lima and buy bags of coca leaf before boarding the plane to return home. One time when I picked her up at the airport, she was bragging to me how she had brought home several bags of coca leaf.

She looked at me with a stunned expression on her face when I informed her that if she was ever was caught with that going through customs, she would get busted.

"Really, I never knew that " was her excuse....:dunno:

Here is a pic of some of that coca leaf. Its been sitting in my kitchen cupboard for decades now. I use to make coca tea with it.

Chewing on leaf or drinking tea gives you energy. It's much different from what you know when it's a man made powder.

Does anybody remember this famous scene from the movie, Papillion ? Steve McQueen and the guy that played the detective on Barney Miller (Gregory Sierra) are attempting to escape and are being tracked by native Indians. They are chewing on coca leaf to get some energy to sustain their pace at the beginning of the scene.

[YOUTUBEIF]GTLFSIr_6Lk[/YOUTUBEIF]

RMS

Stellarpandaz

I'd be happy if it went 9 weeks. I'd be happier to have a keeper. We shall see.

The calyx structure is much different in terms of similarity to the cut i know & i remember now that full term in the greenhouse @2500ft it had yellow & maroon colors.... This stuff was far above average flower which also has todo with geno/pheno selection, cultivation technique & climate so theres alot of variables..i really dont think this was "marketing" it couldve been called "mystery#1" & folks would still be asking for it until this day...these werent & arent the type of folks to slap a name on a tag for shits & giggles

Lolo94

Good read

I wonder if HH aka hawaiian is still active he can give u the info on the frost he sent out alot of seeds .. great dude

I do have a question what kind of other strains were in Hawaii in the late 80s? Were they growing other hybrids like skunk by then ?

There were alot of different strains, tastes, smells, highs but most of the varieties weren't named. One of my uncles called his strain Nam because he went to vietnam and brought seeds back. The creative strain names (Kona Gold, Puna Butter, Maui Wowie) were typically created by Haole growers for marketing purposes.

One of the strains that was popular at the time was Strawberry Web. It was a medium height hybrid with a nice balanced high that did well in lower Puna. People also grew hash plants but the ones i tried were less dopey than the modern indica strains.

White widow and bubblegum were the first 2 modern hybrids that i heard of on the island. I believe it was the early 90s though. Soon after modern hybrids began to be used to create 90 day and in some cases 60 day wonders (seed to harvest) that werent just limited to the short season.

Green Harvest effectively wiped out alot of the big sativa grows in the 80s. It was much easier to move bags around with small plants than trees. Sativa officianados adapted by bringing in south african strains such as the big island Swazi which were quicker, shorter, but still had a great up high.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
The calyx structure is much different in terms of similarity to the cut i know & i remember now that full term in the greenhouse @2500ft it had yellow & maroon colors.... This stuff was far above average flower which also has todo with geno/pheno selection, cultivation technique & climate so theres alot of variables..i really dont think this was "marketing" it couldve been called "mystery#1" & folks would still be asking for it until this day...these werent & arent the type of folks to slap a name on a tag for shits & giggles

How do you compare a picture that is too far to judge the call and what not lol environmental factors come in the blue Cookieberry Crunch I'm growing could look different in your tent than mine at home. Like for instance grow whatever under a HPS then again with an LED then again with a CMH I guarantee you'll see some difference ;) also mess with different feeds etc... Many many many variables

SurfdOut

Veteran
First of all, of course Pua Mana is a fraud selling fake beans. Very easy to tell if you live here.

The Flying Hawaiian is still living in Hilo and doing good with his new family. He isn't growing much anymore but still runs a couple plants. He is the one that named the Frost after Peter brought it over from Molokai.

Aloha

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
It tastes awful, very bitter and alkaline. I use to have an old girl friend that would travel to Peru on business. She use to go to the local market in Lima and buy bags of coca leaf before boarding the plane to return home. One time when I picked her up at the airport, she was bragging to me how she had brought home several bags of coca leaf.

She looked at me with a stunned expression on her face when I informed her that if she was ever was caught with that going through customs, she would get busted.

"Really, I never knew that " was her excuse....:dunno:

Here is a pic of some of that coca leaf. Its been sitting in my kitchen cupboard for decades now. I use to make coca tea with it.

Chewing on leaf or drinking tea gives you energy. It's much different from what you know when it's a man made powder.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=1936&pictureid=1863540&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Does anybody remember this famous scene from the movie, Papillion ? Steve McQueen and the guy that played the detective on Barney Miller (Gregory Sierra) are attempting to escape and are being tracked by native Indians. They are chewing on coca leaf to get some energy to sustain their pace at the beginning of the scene.

[YOUTUBEIF]GTLFSIr_6Lk[/YOUTUBEIF]

RMS

Drank gallons of this stuff in the 90s when their were a lot of Peruvian people selling sweaters or making music. One guy i knew brought several packages when he came back from Peru.

1-Box-Coca-Mate-100-Natural-Delisse.jpg_350x350.jpg

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
First of all, of course Pua Mana is a fraud selling fake beans. Very easy to tell if you live here.

The Flying Hawaiian is still living in Hilo and doing good with his new family. He isn't growing much anymore but still runs a couple plants. He is the one that named the Frost after Peter brought it over from Molokai.

Aloha

Happy to hear hes good and thank you for clearing that up

Positive vibes

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer

Aloha

Any evidence to your claim rather than your word which could be toxic advice...