What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maui Wowie

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Btw
I never once promoted Greyskull Seeds before, or during, the AHI. AHI was all AHI.

So
I don’t know what you saw
But
Twirling?
Hahaha
Maybe
Bless your heart.

Feel free to say hi if you see me at Wallyworld.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Maybe he saw ya in Walmart!!! N didn't say aloha lol... ya look like a big mean bad mutha fuka but grey is the opposite super nice n cool as fuk... can't wait to come out n kick it when y'all throw ya next party ya know probably know prop is in Kauai right now from ig trying to get him to link up with my homie there... nuthin but respect ya big bully

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Didn’t know about prop
Gonna try to hiy him up

Thanks Stoney!!!!
And
Thanks

Stellarpandaz

There was a cut of mowie goin around north humboldt for awhile until about 2010 the last mother was lost lime golden buds with marroon leaves & 2Liter size colas everywhere she smelled of tropical spicey citrus almost had a hazey smell when burned super frosty like leave the sugar leaf type stuff there were Xs made but all those were lost as well..w/o too much detail story goes it came from some old surfers in the 60/70s that were back & forth from hawaii to ca &were growing it up in humboldt it my friend was neighbors with 1of the guys way up in the hills and was given a cut of "mowie wowie" these cats all held their genes tight & didnt share too often especially not to the public. I think its lost everyone i know thinks its lost.. But theres a chance its still floating around out there.. It ashame alot of killer strains like this were lost to the whole hype name game of todays market

J-Icky

If I had to guess, the wowie wasn’t anything specifically bred by anyone in Hawaii. It was probably bud that someone got from Maui and was given the “wowie” or “waui” name by someone who got it in Cali.
That person either found seeds or someone who bought it down the line found seeds and started growing those seeds under the name Maui Waui or Wowie. Others got seeds from that person/group and that’s how the strain known as Maui Waui was born.
That same thing has happened for decades with cannabis. Someone gets really good bud, they give it whatever name they want, seeds get found and that name sticks while the actual origins are either unknown or intentionally covered up. Look at chemdog, in Colorado they called it the dog or dogbud, chem thinks it has a chemmy taste so names his plants chemdog, all the while it supposedly came out of Oregon/Washington and who knows what the original growers called it or what’s its origin is.

So my guess is that Maui Waui was the original Chemdog. That’s why no one on Maui has ever seen or had a Waui but yet it’s known all over the world as a strain. Just like the Chemdog is known all over but those original growers never called it Chemdog.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Aafje finally arrived in Mexico with 6000lbs of primo Mexican, the very best there was at the time. This was called the "Lightening Bolt" weed, due to one BEL member in Mexico remarking how one cola looked like a lightening bolt. BEL members were smoking this "lightening bolt" weed all over Maui, tossing seeds everywhere. Some BEL members even began planting seeds, which led to a strain called "Kula Crippler" after the area of Maui it was grown. The "Kula Crippler" came from a seed brought back in bales of weed used to make hash by the Tokhi brothers from Afghanistan on a previous hash smuggling mission. These two strains, the Mexican "Lightening Bolt" and the Afghani "Kula Crippler" were crossed by a surfer from Santa Barbara, and quickly Kula was covered with this NEW crossbred strain. It was so good that BEL members began smuggling it back to California. This new strain was the now world famous "Maui Wowie" named in honor of where it was created.

This is what you can read about the BOEL history on the net, that Maui Wowie is rough to speak Mex x Afghan.

J-Icky

This is what you can read about the BOEL history on the net, that Maui Wowie is rough to speak Mex x Afghan.

Even that story kind of points to it being the original Chemdog. it doesn’t say they called it Maui Waui, just that that is what it became known as. I wonder if the original breeders called it that at any point or they just referred to it as the cross name, Kula crippler x lightening bolt and that’s why no one on the islands has ever actually seen a Maui Waui named strain.

positivity

Veteran
I've always thought of maui wowie as generic for well grown outdoor. Molokai frost is what I would consider a actual seed line.
Imo it is more important to find a trustworthy breeder than one with no history but flashy names. Ymmv

Gry

Veteran
Early seventies, had a neighbor move there.
Each year at Christmas time for many years afterwords a small cooler arrived.
Always appreciated.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I lived in Honolulu during the late 70's to mid 80's, and assimilated quickly into the local pot scene via my local hoodlum buddies who were mostly growers out in the windward side and north shore.

1664Haiku_Kookoo_b.JPG

Above is a grainy photo taken circa 1983 on the windward side of Oahu, in Kaneohe, at a private gated community deep in a backyard. My crazy local buddy called it Haiku Kookoo. I nearly lost my mind when I first smoked it years earlier. An African sativa strain, acclimatized over many generations to the micro-climate in his back yard. that tasted like tangerine and berries. They were "winter stunters", meaning short season - low/less light - plants would auto-flower, yielding 90 day donkey dick wonders.

In all the years, and countless joints I smoked there, I remember smoking genuine Maui weed 3 times maybe. If that. From memory, the best I remember it was indica looking, with round sticky buds that tasted incredibly sweet like berries and flowers.

I also remember having a connection in Waipahu who could get an amazing gold sativa from Kona that looked just like the old Gold 'Lumbo from High School. It was a clusterfuck to score, having to exchange several hands before I saw any. It was some of the best weed I ever smoked while there. Tasted like gold sweet peppery spice. Buds were most definitely sativa in structure. I remember some of my local growing buddies freaking out, asking me a million questions as to where I found this weed. We called it Kona Gold. Yes, it looked gold in color as well, not green.

I remember the killer buds I use to get from Molokai. My connection called them leper buds, which were always sold to me in huge sticky sativa leaning giant size cola's that had a distinct spicey anise/basil taste like no other island bud I ever saw.

RMS

:smoweed:

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Some more Hawaiian meanderings. Most of the weed back then didn't have a name. It was either ono, or da kine in description, more often than not. When you're young drug crazed college student, words can turn into urban myth sometimes. The more crazy exotic the name, the more one could ask for an oz.

I do remember seeing an awful lot of sativa looking elephant weed. Some good, and a whole lot not so good. Believe it or not, it was tough to score real connoisseur bud, even in Hawaii back then.

RMS

Stellarpandaz

If I had to guess, the wowie wasn’t anything specifically bred by anyone in Hawaii. It was probably bud that someone got from Maui and was given the “wowie” or “waui” name by someone who got it in Cali.
That person either found seeds or someone who bought it down the line found seeds and started growing those seeds under the name Maui Waui or Wowie. Others got seeds from that person/group and that’s how the strain known as Maui Waui was born.
That same thing has happened for decades with cannabis. Someone gets really good bud, they give it whatever name they want, seeds get found and that name sticks while the actual origins are either unknown or intentionally covered up. Look at chemdog, in Colorado they called it the dog or dogbud, chem thinks it has a chemmy taste so names his plants chemdog, all the while it supposedly came out of Oregon/Washington and who knows what the original growers called it or what’s its origin is.

So my guess is that Maui Waui was the original Chemdog. That’s why no one on Maui has ever seen or had a Waui but yet it’s known all over the world as a strain. Just like the Chemdog is known all over but those original growers never called it Chemdog.

Think you nailed it. Thats why i think its still out their somewhere. Name changed & Xd into something(s) to fit todays "hype"

Ready4

Veteran
Back in 78 -81, a friend's older brother was getting cases of cans that said "pineapple chunks" on the outside - filled with bud. He just sold it as "Hawaiian".

It was always great, several times it was so damn superior.
Few seeds - of course I wished I kept them.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Waiting for restock and hoping I don't miss the release but I hope to get some authentic Maui Wowie and contribute some pics and descriptions..

Blessings all!

positivity

Veteran
Can't say much really. A friend did grow some of their seeds out. It was okay but not exactly what I remember
Healthy debate in the comment section
In the past almost every bag was different
There were some special specimens but I haven't seen a seedbank with it yet and labeled maui. ��

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It wasn't until recently I came to the concussion that with genetics alone you can not replicate "imported" weed from 40 some odd years ago. Common sense and years of growing taught me that environmental growing conditions effect everything, not to mention drying and curing tech. If you some how had seeds (viable) from that super lid of 78 Maui Wowie and you grew it at the same location on Maui, you might depending on the time of year have something close to the original. Best is to try to grow something as close as possible and be happy about. I'm still hunting for the gold in the land of El Dorado . I will say I never had any weed called Maui Wowie, what I got back then (very rarely) was simply called "Hawaiian" and it had to have been the best exotic cannabis I've ever had.

red rider

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Some more Hawaiian meanderings. Most of the weed back then didn't have a name. It was either ono, or da kine in description, more often than not. When you're young drug crazed college student, words can turn into urban myth sometimes. The more crazy exotic the name, the more one could ask for an oz.

I do remember seeing an awful lot of sativa looking elephant weed. Some good, and a whole lot not so good. Believe it or not, it was tough to score real connoisseur bud, even in Hawaii back then.

RMS

Most weed and hash had names in our area. I went with a buddy to pick up some hash. It was the most I ever saw in one place. Must have been 50 pounds. I asked "what kind is it" he said "any kind you want it to be." Another time with weed a friend's brother was growing (we helped ever year) and he said "what kind do you want it to be?"

I never asked again and would chuckle when I'd hear someone say "this is <insert strain here>."

I'm pretty sure I saw thai stick though.

Latest posts

Latest posts