MASSIVE OUTDOOR GROW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FirstTracks said:
glad to hear the sand planting went well!
Very well.....

Wish I had some pics, but, I dunno...people seem to think your some tourist, casually strolling along, like Disneyworld.....I'm working, I'm busy, I want to get it done (forgot camera yesterday, had a lot of shit to do......to me, I don't care, whatever).....

What I did was this:
We drilled, which, as earlier pic, creates hole with all soil then around top of hole in a circle...

Hit that with dry nute mix (extensive) with crystals in it....

Some holes, as said, filled with water.....

(btw....what I did last minute, was decided to run all coco bricks past saw,so cut em all in half.....doubled number available....)

Okay, so, the ones that filled with water (which I didn't know until it happened..), we drilled, and, then, when saw water, I stood there, thought about it and had someone go through and toss a half brick into each hole......which expanded fairly quick, etc....

Okay, so....

We drilled, hit circle around hole with nute and crystal mix.....then hit them with manure....then compost, then worm castings...(in no specific order, sometimes manure first, then nutes, then castings, whatever......whatever was close, first, we had to keep hauling a lot of supplies...

Okay, so......(visual)......you have a hole drilled, with a large circle of sand around top of hole, in circle, then, all ingredients spread also on top in circle (some into hole....not intended, but, way it happens in practice, not perfect, etc.....)

Ones with bricks in holes, we saved for last (to absorb, expand), ones that did not fill, in the end, sank a bick into top middle of hole, which rain expanded later, then re mixed quick when we went back to plant....no biggie, 10 seconds max)....

Okay, so......

Have a hole, circle of sand from hole, covered with all above...nutes, dry mix, compost, manure, worm castings......

The refilled in no specific way.....trying to mix slightly while backfilling it, in different ways and layers...(when pushed back, mixed a little in itself....), so, ending with 3' of all of the above, mixed okay (not like if all taken into bag and mixed and dumped)....

My concern was not mixed well enough...

Does not seem to be the case.....

The ones with the bricks sunk in top middle....when we went back (had rained and expanded), we basically just redug top 6"/1ft or so, turned quick, planted and watered again (light nute mix, FN...what I have been using for a while.....)

Hadn't seem them since planting........were fuckin beautiful.....was very pleased....no sign of any sort of burn whatsoever........haven't seen them that happy and healthy in a while.......
also your no cage spot. all were there (or basically all)? congrats!!:rasta: always a good feeling when the critters don't snipe 'em off.
Every single fuckin one!.....not a single plant gone....

Okay......here's the story.......(as I take a deep breath to relax :biglaugh:......)

New spot, new op, couple new people.....

Discussed at length for months prior to starting....(I give everyone in life the equivalent of everything in this thread, easy, and then some)....

Make sure all understood, make sure people understand every single potential problem area, make sure all understand, in agreement, to prevent future problems and run smoothly...

Had been to site, several times, then, had drilled, had prepped, etc, everything done heavier than other times......

So.......

We get there, we plant,(me too), everything fine, everything great, I leave, I tell people what to do to finish up (explicitly)

I talk to one partner later.........

They didn't put the fuckin cages.....

Cages were last step.....go through, cage all, and landowner freaked, and said too much, to obvious, do not put them there, they can't put them there....

They didn't cage even one....

So........I'm fuckin pretty fuckin uppity :smoke:...(all that work done, all that expense, and all that time...not to mention plants, which could have all gone somewhere else...........and starting to think some pretty terrible things about some people.......solutions.......proposals.....one partner managed to calm me down a little bit :smoke:....before I said something I shouldn't, and made a decision I would regret :smoke:...and, went to place with basically "If they are gone..........there is going to be a fuckin problem, and, someone is going to fuckin answer for this to me".....(I had several very firm things in mind......I don't appreciate my time or money being wasted, etc...and, as above, could have done everything somewhere else....spring that bullshit last minute.....

Unacceptable

Lo and behold.......we hit sites.....we start doing walkthroughs......

Every single fuckin one there, beautiful, safe....had grabbed, settled in, and one could tell extremely healthy, happy...

(and, I'll tell ya this......thank god for someone...because if I walked through and they were all gone......would have been a serious problem for someone......or more than one....:smoke:...was ready to fly off the fuckin handle.....

Of course got the "see man, everything's fine, everything's good, relax, don't worry about it, we're cool" from partner.,....but, of course, as we all know here.....well, they're fine today.......Let's see and tell me that in 3 weeks :smoke: (and, if they are still there and fine and everything good in 2-3 weeks....should be fine for rest of season.....)

So......walk throughs yesterday, check in's relieved a lot of questions I had in mind....

And, today...:smoke:.....well, got news of another op ready to go..(600 acres.....), so.....yet another thing on plate, and, have to go through all again, little quicker, no planning time.....which, if one is wondering....you know....when you do things, and do things many times, and, do many different things, and, many ways?....eh...you have a good baseline and can go from there...ie: I need to walk the land, I need to see soil, I need to check rainfall....from there, will have plan in couple days and already have some things ready to go.....

(Didn't expect that, came out of the blue....so....a bonus, and, I';m thinking more longer term at this point...can it be done more than once...but, could use an extra right now...things going good, but, would have liked to for a little more there......)
It always seems to add a combination of a little more stress but also a little more excited anticipation as to what the results will be as you wonder how much your efforts will pay off at harvest time.
Well, as you see above (the real story) .......I was wondering what I was going to see and frankly was fairly certain a lot would be gone at one...and, not sure what to expect at sand one, since all not mixed as thoroughly as I would like.......sand in sun also dried very quick :smoke:..

Had no idea what I was going to find.....nervous...fuckin angry...etc....all turned out good..(see, so all that negative energy a burden on my system......)

You know...this early in season...smaller, veg, etc.......I don't really dwell on security issues...(fuck people seeing em, I'm more worried about stepping on em :biglaugh:)

I tend to break down season as follows.....
Planting?...no problem, 0 risk.....
Early veg?....no problem, 0 risk.....
mid/late veg?....(late July), start to get a little concerned, larger plants....
Beginning of flower?...eh, still okay, they still blend in fairly well, no biggie...
Well into flower?, late flower?-There's your risk....there's the problem...

Profile overall changes to recognizable shape....stand out easier for people who know what they are looking for, etc...so.....

I see entire season risk wise as last 30 days or so (mid way through to finish....easily identifiable, etc, stand out, so.....more and more...last 30 days becoming my area of concern, but, if one can cut risk down to last 30 days..(from several months...) not a problem, and, same with late season also...mini's?....yeah, good luck spotting those in early veg/early flower...good luck :smoke:......mid flower and finish?...well, a little easier but profile still low enough to minimal concern as will be finished very shortly, etc...
The relative lack of childish conflict is one thing I appreciate about this thread, as even if it goes to shit for a page or two, next day its back on target and back to productive, or at least entertaining discussions.
I was a little surprised....:smoke: I've been around long enough to know how easily things can go south...
I might know a little about what you mean regarding staying up night before, etc. Myself, I appreciate having that full day before and then all night to truly plan out what I am doing, though this is more often linked to giving a presentation to the boss or preparing for other work related events such as negotiations. Though I do believe rest is valuable for a fully active mind during these situations, it seems that I can convince my mind and body to be fully functional until after the important event or set of events is completed, and then i crash........though often too wired to really sleep to quickly quite often.
Yeah...I get wrapped in in so much though....fuckin juiced....but, know well that the down side is no sleep is definitely not a bonus when doing hours of labor in the sun.....Just doesn't fuckin work :biglaugh:

Even worse when your talking 90's and above..long day, etc.......those days I always sleep well when finally back .....2+ days up...long, long day working in sun.....usually I get some eventually :smoke:.....(if even wired for a while, don't make it to next day :biglaugh:)
Anyway, night seems to be quite condusive to deep thinking IMHO. One of the reasons I don't sleep as much as I know I should.
Definitely less "disturbances in the force" later on :smoke:...

Chaos of the world has settled down a little.......and, for me....lot less distractions, people bothering me.......Everyone from family on know I am a late guy, so.......but, calls ease up after maybe 12 or 1 or so.....quiet......can think a little more.......I'm one of those people I get pissed off if disturbed when thinking about something (really thinking.....deep serious thought about many things........reviewing, looking for solutions, answers, contemplating, etc.........short fuse when disturbed......:smoke:...)
I feel ya on those bugs. while workin on friend's cabin the other day, barely any biting me while moving. As soon as I sat down for a beer break....kamikaze bugs...
Oh dude, I always get it fuckin bad man...even if wearing something....still get it....really bad.....and, spots I am lately....they are fuckin insane......deeper spots......you walk in and you have hundreds on your ass within 20 seconds.......30 seconds.....kinda like one of last spots where ears were ringing for days......just clouds of them (mosquitos).....but, I use the ammonia products, and, helps kill the itch and swelling a little..they work very well for me personally...very well....)
Worse for me is the poison ivy though. No matter how careful I am covering up and scrubbing down after, almost always seem to get it after planting in nice spots. Lucky for me.........if I get it, hopefully so will any rippers trying to snag my ladies :rasta:
its only a 2 week thing anyway....no big deal
Yeah, got it bad last year.....I don't usually get much of that stuff....maybe I am looking out....maybe what I wear....maybe where we do.....maybe a combination.....got it last year bad....not sure which (Ivy/Oak/Sumac), well, you know what", actually, no, I didn't get it too bad (just remembered one partner on that got it 10 times worse than me :biglaugh:), but, haven't really before, and, spots this year, don't think I will.....

Well, the thieves....you do what you can, the best you can, and, hopefully will help out......I always budge for thieves and my personal philosophy is they are free to grab a plant or two...no problem.....good luck...hope you enjoy it....but, anything more than that?....Well, I better not catch you :smoke:....

There are worse things that can happen to a man than death :smoke:
hope your day's journies go well
Thanks man...likewise....hope all is well with everyone.......

Changed schedule today (again) and going to go have a a sit down with someone about the new project and see what's what......(should work well, already have a bunch ready to go....if I can flip everything around and send them over there, would work well for me, give me a break to get somewhere else out of town for some things, and get back to work when back again :smoke:

Correction......maybe a walk and talk instead :smoke:...

GroBoy2000

wasnt planning on saying anything, nothing to really add, but i thought this was funny

.I'm one of those people I get pissed off if disturbed when thinking about something (really thinking.....deep serious thought about many things........reviewing, looking for solutions, answers, contemplating, etc.........short fuse when disturbed.........)

lol, nothing like totally blowing it huh? thought i was only one like that (dude/babe, fuuuuuck, you just blew my steam away) I relate thoughts like that to hunting (not that i hunt much) where you are pursuing the final pure, eureka, wow, or evolution of the thought, and bam, no, someone wants to say hey

i can relate

on land and such

I'm supposed to be meeting someone soon (dont worry, im not gonna tell him all about me and what i do first time, lol, some people), with multiple parcels of land, not quite 600, but big enough, and you know, when i started running the numbers, and the insurance numbers, ie, x3, plus extra people, god, it seemed like 10x work to get 3x output, not sure if something im really interested in, but you know, ill meet and get to know the guy, really dont see myself doing, (course since focuing on minis, its not 200-300x 3, but 1000+ x 3), but we'll see in a few weeks after i meet and maybe see land

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GroBoy2000 said:
lol, nothing like totally blowing it huh? thought i was only one like that (dude/babe, fuuuuuck, you just blew my steam away) I relate thoughts like that to hunting (not that i hunt much) where you are pursuing the final pure, eureka, wow, or evolution of the thought, and bam, no, someone wants to say hey

i can relate
:biglaugh:, well,l it's not that I am particularly slow or anything, but, I do what I can when I have time, so....that train of thought might be when I settle down, have everything else done, and, a few minutes, might also be reading 10 different things at same time (10 different windows open on system), reading, thinking, etc...and, you know, then, in the middle of it, interrupted, etc, ya know :smoke:..(Then might have to go back over several pages to get back to train of thought, etc...cause running through lot of things....what I am reading, what I am thinking, how they all come together in practice, supplies on hand, supplies needed, how much of each, what's on hand, how to do most efficiently, what who does and when, how to do it, etc.....ya know? :smoke:
on land and such

I'm supposed to be meeting someone soon (dont worry, im not gonna tell him all about me and what i do first time, lol, some people), with multiple parcels of land, not quite 600, but big enough, and you know, when i started running the numbers, and the insurance numbers, ie, x3, plus extra people, god, it seemed like 10x work to get 3x output, not sure if something im really interested in, but you know, ill meet and get to know the guy, really dont see myself doing, (course since focuing on minis, its not 200-300x 3, but 1000+ x 3), but we'll see in a few weeks after i meet and maybe see land
Well........as above, a lot on partners, so.....be aware (or beware :biglaugh:)........2 people (especially with a drill) can do tremendous amounts of work)...frankly, all in all?, biggest problem, most PITA is making cages....drilling quick, mixing quick, planting quick, etc, so...hauling shit?, not too hard, you just haul, but, me?, I have making cages more than anything....too monotonous...establish who is paying for what (nice if partners help a little with supplies, and most shit not too expensive to start with.....)

I'm a little disappointed this year, having some very disappointing experiences with partners, and, know them well, very important to me, and, really, really, really letting me down......I don't like it......I don't...at all.....I don't like being sickened and disappointed in close friends.....

Could work well, and, now you see how such things happen :smoke:......(partners, landowners, etc)......lot of people own land, lot of people open to making a little money, free smoke, etc....(don't tell them about the bubble :smoke:, leave that for you, a bonus, just in case goes sour :smoke:.....)

Nah, very simple roundabout way to introduce it to people....has been discussed earlier :smoke:....let them do all the talking and proposal :smoke: You just let a little go...they usually take over from there :smoke:

marto

Hey julian....if your not gonna use cages you should go heavy on the animal repellant. I use one called critter ridder this year and last and seems to work. Problem i had with cages was animals bumping in too them and knocking them over and also the conspicuousness of em. I can see why your landowner may have been paranoid. Hope you guys are cool again

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
marto said:
Hey julian....if your not gonna use cages you should go heavy on the animal repellant. I use one called critter ridder this year and last and seems to work. Problem i had with cages was animals bumping in too them and knocking them over and also the conspicuousness of em. I can see why your landowner may have been paranoid. Hope you guys are cool again
Well, several angles to that and falls in line with how and why I like do do certain things, certain ways....

Example: I drill, which leaves a perfectly cut and round hole :smoke:....

Which then leaves it very simple to fit cage into hole, sink it a little, and be secured when planting and backfill, etc...

Sometimes I plant and cage when drilled and prepped....sometimes I drill and prep and wait...etc, but, the first being preferred because all done...period....

The understanding part of me would say fine, I understand, etc, but, given the fact it was addressed and discussed in detail for 2 months prior....well.....

Moving on.......their there.....their fine.....for now....so, we go forward.....ie: No sense dwelling on spilled milk as it were.......everything is fine as of now....so, as long as everything continues to be fine, well......why bother and waste energy on it.....

Don't want to get too specific, but, there are predators on site/in the area (of rabbits, deer, etc :smoke:), so.......maybe a beneficial factor......growth is good (surrounding vegetation, etc).....

I just hope for everyone else's sake they continue to be fine....cause if we lose any/all because no cages?, well...going to be a problem...

Wire/Cages were good.....measures taken...so....(tossed in fire, rolled in ash, watered, rusted, etc).....so.......I didn't see a problem....but, I do try and accommodate and, very important to me is everyones comfort level, but equally important is establishing what and where that comfort level is in advance, which is what I did...

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:biglaugh: I was thinking about changing, didn't know which....tried one (the oldest and longest :smoke:...bust, didn't seem to go with this name, goes with the other name :smoke:....then tried another......then saw this one, and I just fuckin laugh when I see that one....so......

That's the troll thing.......they want it.......bad, and they just can't stand the rejection...

You'll never have me! :biglaugh:....

See how good all that running is working?.....told ya I'm at fighting weight! :biglaugh:....

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Peoples meanings....statements, and, The RKS....

Peoples meanings....statements, and, The RKS....

You ever notice the ways in which people use phrases?........

I said not too far back, about the RKS..."Will work on it, see what I can do"...

For some?..."I'll see what I can do", means simply "I don';t really want to say no to you, so, I will politely act as if I will do something to placate you, so you will leave me the fuck alone"........

See, me?....that's my problem.,....(opposite...if I say "I will see what I can do", it means basically "Okay, okay, when I get to it, and when I can, and when I feel like it...right now, busy with other stuff, so....but, will get done"....

To me?.."I'll see what I can do", means "Eventually..."......

So...:smoke:

On that note....:smoke:

I was going through it with someone.....interesting story as actually one of my first students :smoke:...(Started teaching him in 86' or so...my first student....my start at expanding............"franchising" if you will....

This individual is, and has been known ever since as.... "The Mechanic"....My first student........long time friend......been together ever since.....("The Mechanic" due to ability to build or repair anything from ATV's, Peterbuilt's, cars, trucks, boats, bikes, chainsaws, snowmobiles, etc..up on through carpentry, framing, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc....truly an amazing guy...

Was talking to him today reminding him about search and need for the RKS, to which I got a finger...:smoke: (nope, not that finger :biglaugh:.....).......He was telling me to hold on, cause had just taken a hit................and was flipping some burgers......:smoke:....)

To which afterwards told me to follow him..........and produced this gift for me.............

In case you can't see the labels?.......Here's a closer look :smoke:.....

Going to think about what to do, how to proceed, but, I assure everyone.......this is a wide range of several RKS's......The real deal.......first issue is a test germination (which I will keep if they do and then run out for samples......), and, then, we'll see what and where from there....The above being several/many different RKS's, collected between 1988-1993............15-20yr old stockpile of the absolute finest things we have come across in the last 20+yrs...:smoke: (RKS featured.....many other things also.......)

And I thought it was impossible for him to surprise me after all these years :smoke:...

So, these will get added (will keep some to fem also) to all other fem runs, and also upcoming AF fem stock run also.......very pleased myself (building of stock....nice stuff.....uncommon stuff....)

Last edited:

PHB

Julian said:
Was talking to him today reminding him about search and need for the RKS, to which I got a finger...:smoke: (nope, not that finger :biglaugh:.....).......He was telling me to hold on, cause had just taken a hit................and was flipping some burgers......:smoke:....)

To which afterwards told me to follow him..........and produced this gift for me.............

In case you can't see the labels?.......Here's a closer look :smoke:.....
RKS = Road Kill Skunk???

buzzy

Nearly got caught by a farmer whilst planting some Cheese, Himalayan Gold and Lemon Skunk today. Luckily we were on the last hole, and i managed to hide all grow related when i saw the jeep coming and walk out naturally. Told us to get off his corn field. We got out of there pretty sharp after he left, haha...

I bet you've had a few closer calls than that eh jules... :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
See, my concern would be was he there in the first place because he saw you coming in?......I assume told him passing through or some shit....hopefully he didn't go back looking where you were....this was day time?, or night?....I'd switch to night access and never do day again (or, night fall so enough light to just get in and get started working........)

I've had a couple :smoke:......One this year that was a first, and a little too close....(City plots....)

Edit: And, I have had things that I had to walk away from, in name of security.......ie: Never go back....maybe it was safe and all rotted on the stalk......maybe was something bad waiting........but, chose to walk, write it off, never go back.....

(The one city spot I had last year I lost....went back for quick check to see if any left, but, was much later...almost 3 months.......and, did find a few left over down a ways......Aug 1st or so had the problem, went back in maybe October 20th?.......)

City spots I prefer to just leave them anyway, so.......have 1-2 running right now that are mixed (M/F) and intend on not going until same...late October and hopefully some nice stock waiting....City spots I usually leave 100% completely alone...but, try to get a visual in passing if location allows it to see what's going on, if they are still there, etc.....

Last edited:

buzzy

Think he saw our vehicle to be honest, but he didn't ask too many questions. We apologsied and said we weren't aware it was pivate land. He drove off, and i don't think he went back, but time will tell. We decided at the time to only go back at night. We were talking about what a damn good spot it was as he pulled up too, it'd be a shame to have to walk away from it.

Edit: I wasn't happy with the place we parked, but as usual, others ignored me and it buggered things up slightly.

Last edited:

lemonade

Veteran
Julian...I'm so glad this thread is still moving along nicely. Been reading along since its conception and have re-read it 2 or 3 times since, taking notes the last time.

Glad to hear coco is working out nicely for you...I've decided to try some this year. Since I haul most of my soil, compressed blocks could be a very smart alternative to bales.

Apparently one of these 5kg blocks expands to 2 cubic ft when hydrated, so 2 of these blocks are equivalent to a bale of promix/sunshine.

The blocks even have a plastic handle which is really nice. :smile:

I can easily carry 3 in each hand (could probably carry an additional 1.5-2 if cut down and placed in a pack) so thats a minimum of 6 blocks per trip, as opposed to a single bale of soil. So 3x more efficient to haul.

However, there seems to be two schools of though when it comes to using coco. This can be confusing and has discouraged me from using it in the past.

half the people advise to use it straight, never let it dry out, use only coco specific nutes, etc, while the other half simply says "eh, just use it as a peat substitute, don't treat it differently".

Well, we'll see I suppose. If I can get good results from it when simply used as a peat substitute, I'm sold 100%.

Good luck with those skunk seeds BTW.

Last edited:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
buzzy said:
Think he saw our vehicle to be honest, but he didn't ask too many questions. We apologized and said we weren't aware it was private land. He drove off, and i don't think he went back, but time will tell.
Okay, if he drove off while you were still there.....then your probably good for now, and, something I lecture on all the time is the time/size factor...(ie: They won't be of any significant considerable size for a while, so......assuming they were "average" size for starts and good surrounding vegetation......)

Yeah, if you think that, then that is probably the case :smoke:......
We decided at the time to only go back at night. We were talking about what a damn good spot it was as he pulled up too, it'd be a shame to have to walk away from it.
Well........it might be :smoke:....The guy did drive off, didn't he? :biglaugh:...As long as he doesn't see you again :smoke:....should be good.....
Edit: I wasn't happy with the place we parked, but as usual, others ignored me and it buggered things up slightly.
Well, maybe this will help you out a little as far as people listening to what you say, and how it is all important...

I've been through such things...(I try to explain things, fall a little short on their ears, then something happens which I can use as a case in point, then they basically shut up and settle down :biglaugh:....

Good luck man....this season is on us all know and more day by day.....

Hopefully this will be the year for many....(and not in a bad way :smoke:....)

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lemonade said:
Julian...I'm so glad this thread is still moving along nicely. Been reading along since its conception and have re-read it 2 or 3 times since, taking notes the last time.
Thanks man.......you know...always glad it's of use (true use).....you know...said it before.....your guys thread, not mine :smoke:.....a momentum of it's own...just add what I can, see relevant........)
Glad to hear coco is working out nicely for you...I've decided to try some this year. Since I haul most of my soil, compressed blocks could be a very smart alternative to bales.
Well, by now.....we all know, and, don;t need "to be sold" on it's beneficial use......superiority to other materials, compact, but........some more things below you touched on, and, several things I have been thinking of also.....
Apparently one of these 5kg blocks expands to 2 cubic ft when hydrated, so 2 of these blocks are equivalent to a bale of promix/sunshine.
Yeah, you know.....it worked well for me (having rain and groundwater expand it as above.......if one could get in there early enough......could work very well on larger amounts also with good rain......)
The blocks even have a plastic handle which is really nice. :smile:
I can easily carry 3 in each hand (could probably carry an additional 1.5-2 if cut down and placed in a pack) so thats a minimum of 6 blocks per trip, as opposed to a single bale of soil. So 3x more efficient to haul.
Yeah, I used the smaller bricks (cause what the deal was on...) I think was like.....maybe 24 per case or so?....(plus we ran those past a saw, so, hit 48 holes with that case........and , a reminder and people might be able to do the same with larger bricks...(shave them down into pieces the size desired.......)...very quick also...we must have been running about a case every 10 minutes or so?.....was very quick.....
However, there seems to be two schools of though when it comes to using coco. This can be confusing and has discouraged me from using it in the past.

half the people advise to use it straight, never let it dry out, use only coco specific nutes, etc, while the other half simply says 'eh, just use it as a peat substitute, don't treat it differently".

Well, we'll see I suppose. If I can get good results from it when simply used as a peat substitute, I'm sold 100%.
Okay, now that is what I have been thinking about........

Use it straight, don't let it dry out.....okay, I get it....

But....

Okay, my understanding is coco is basically hydro, right (5.8 pH........control moisture, as you stated....)

No problem, I get it.....

BUT......

How do you maintain a 5.8 when your talking outdoors and your more likely running a 6.7?........

That's the aspect I don't understand, and, see it more realistic as an additional amendment worked in for qualities....(unless one is running fully accessed with irrigation?, well.........maintaining any constant regarding pH and stuff isn't possible for the most part.......(one can argue....throw some rain in, and, well, your knocked off course again......)

Pure coco, crystals, and dry mix I have also thought about, but pH issue still came into question.....

I love the shit.....I do...and, in future, will run a little different......(probably dig/drill and prep early enough to fully fill and let expand in holes from rains...(ie: Month in advance....etc).....and, as above, as far as convenience?, well, saving alter to expand also a bonus.......(less to haul on site, no water to expand to haul on site.....

Another flip side to that is one could just pile/space out bricks in one spot......and draw from that spot later on.....ie: 100 bricks in certain area, stacked lower, etc...or, maybe several per larger hole, etc...lot of ways one could do it I think :smoke:.....
Good luck with those skunk seeds BTW.
Well.....I was fuckin speechless, truly.....this is my guy...so, where the stock came from no question..........and, quality of assortment not in question (he wouldn't take stuff from something just okay....)...I actually told him early on....don't save bullshit.......don't bother, just stick with the real stuff, so...yeah, we're talking real roadkill.....several different kinds, and, frankly, a lot of unmarked stuff which I have no idea, but, some very serious possibilities......(some packages?...only 3 seeds that came out of 5lbs, etc...stuff like that :smoke:....Lot of 80's/90's California high end product also :smoke:.....which we had going on for quite a hilke....so, might have gone through 1,000 lbs of special and only pulled out 100 seeds from it :smoke:........That?....he got from me :biglaugh: (ie: Get something....first thing you do is fine comb it for stray stock :smoke:.....)

Issue is germ rates........we're talking up to 20 yr old stock, so.......going to do some shortly..........if they pop, send them out, leave the alone (M/F)...which some would state will change character and turn it into an F1....but, of course, those things......I mean, they were cross pollinated over decades, so, doubt will have negative impact....anything more than creating more workable stock :smoke:......

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah...coco......

You know....pure coco sounds wonderful outside....could see pure coco and large holes, but, if you ask me, hit July and August sun and temps, and, unless your running a constant drip, I mean, I could see that shit being baked dry within a short time period unless covered well......soil, mulch, etc...which goes right back to is it better just as another ingredient in a prep or not......just thinking out loud....

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I have seen those somewhere along the line..........the only thing that comes to mind (for me), is, see, it has MG added.....so, then, affects planning in many ways (would for me...lighten dry mix, crystals in my dry mix.....I wonder what it would be if wasn't added............)

I'd pick some up if was stocked when and where I was shopping........you know, anything that makes everything easier is always a bonus......(enables greater numbers, less effort, etc).....

Really made effective and efficient use this season so far of coco, for me, and, I'll tell ya, even unloading at site didn't have any idea I was going to switch it up and do what I did with it...(Didn't occur to me until unpacking cases getting ready to use, so :smoke:.....as above, as earlier...:smoke: Roll with the flow, adapt.......change midstream, etc....worked out even better than I thought up until doing the holes....

I was pretty pleased.......

Actually....still didn't have an idea until started holes...(water in bottom of holes kinda got me started thinking, so....even at drilling still no idea was going to switch up......)

Yeah man.....coco bricks....fuckin 100 uses man.....could think all day......bottom of holes......use rain........top of holes......split into couple pieces......piles expanded in rains, etc.......fuckin limitless....

Actually, could be of greater use at another, but, that one came up recently, spur of the moment, so.....had no idea...no way of knowing about it before, but, would have served this one better than the one they were used in....so......what can ya do...

Last edited:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What I really wanted to do originally was run some through a woodchipper, and then mix large amounts in with the dry mix (nutes and crystals and chunks of coco.......thought that might have worked fairly well...quick, efficient....but an advance prep that way, do holes, wait week or two for some soaking rains, etc..........still might try that in future depending on how they go through chipper...

lemonade

Veteran
"Yeah, you know.....it worked well for me (having rain and groundwater expand it as above.......if one could get in there early enough......could work very well on larger amounts also with good rain......"

Yea I might have to give that a try. For the most part I wont be planting until early July, so plenty of time for rain to do the work. Only issue is I'm not planting yet because I'm watching areas for activity, so supplies/holes on site in advance is not a good idea. Placing the blocks/bricks on a tarp or piece of plastic a few hundred feet deeper in the bush is an option.

Then of course you have to haul the expanded, wet coco back to the site, but still easier than hauling water from say, 1000 ft away.

Planting for the most part is being held off for a few reasons...New region, quite rural, all spots but one located on govt or timber owned land, (no provincial (up north) or national parks), so no idea who might be passing by really. These spots are somewhat remote, minimum 20 miles from a town or paved road. Roads are completely inaccessible due to snow from early Nov until late April, so spots are all new (still actively scouting more), mostly found within the last month or so.

Everything seems good for now, spent days out in the bush looking for spots, getting to know the area and I've yet to come across another person on foot. Usually a couple vehicles here and there, sometimes none.

But you know, I cant really say how much traffic there is until I spend an entire season out there. Could be hiking tours or some shit going through there in the summer for all i know, so...

Also, its quite dry here, and there's not a lot of ground cover, so i've decided to focus on smaller, later rounds. Plus stock was also an issue. Lack of preparation on my part. Luckily I was able to secure a local cutting from a friend a few days ago which is currently being grown into a mom, so #'s are limited to what I can get off her.

"Another flip side to that is one could just pile/space out bricks in one spot......and draw from that spot later on.....ie: 100 bricks in certain area, stacked lower, etc...or, maybe several per larger hole, etc...lot of ways one could do it I think .....?

Yep a lot easier to store and transport than bales. Thats why I'm so attracted to coco really. I have no idea who I'm going to come across while driving to sites...and having a vehicle loaded with supplies (SUV, no trunk...i know, i know but only vehicle i have access to with 4wd) obviously isn't a good thing.

With bales, i could fit 3, plus a few bags of castings, manure, etc, but even then its somewhat visible, even if wrapped, covered, etc.

I was just messing around with the 5kg blocks. There the perfect size really... within 30 seconds of looking around the room I found a cardboard box, pretty standard size I think that held 3 perfectly, not an inch of space wasted...OK maybe about a half inch :smile:

Those 15 gal tote bins, (24x16x16.5) hold 4 nicely, if you cut the fourth one into a couple pieces. I started playing around with the vehicle. Can easily fit 3 boxes on the floor in front of seats, 2 totes on back seat, another 2 totes in cargo area, one being used for nutes, etc. Throw some clothes on top of the boxes, maybe a small cooler, fishing rod, tackle box, etc? Your just going camping right?:smile:

Thats 21 blocks. Equivalent to 10 and half bales :D

If you started cramming bricks into crevices you could probably get another couple bales equivalent.
"You know....pure coco sounds wonderful outside....could see pure coco and large holes, but, if you ask me, hit July and August sun and temps, and, unless your running a constant drip, I mean, I could see that shit being baked dry within a short time period unless covered well......soil, mulch, etc...which goes right back to is it better just as another ingredient in a prep or not......just thinking out loud...."

Yea I'm feeling you on that...Even when using it mixed in as another ingredient I'm thinking of leaving a few inches of native soil on top. I figure it cant hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.