MASSIVE OUTDOOR GROW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lemonade said:
Yea I might have to give that a try. For the most part I wont be planting until early July, so plenty of time for rain to do the work. Only issue is I'm not planting yet because I'm watching areas for activity, so supplies/holes on site in advance is not a good idea. Placing the blocks/bricks on a tarp or piece of plastic a few hundred feet deeper in the bush is an option.
Well, you know, all my coco talk :)biglaugh:) is a lot of thinking out loud...first season I used it, so.....lot of thoughts coming to me, etc.....

You could also split em and leave one by one plot, one close to another, etc, shit like that.....I split some lengthwise also into couple layers, shit like that.....whenever I think about utilizing it, have a lot of ideas...(fuck, I need some more like, now :biglaugh:)
Then of course you have to haul the expanded, wet coco back to the site, but still easier than hauling water from say, 1000 ft away.
Any and everything that can save time and effort is worth it (cause can spend that time an effort on different tasks, etc.....)
Planting for the most part is being held off for a few reasons...New region, quite rural, all spots but one located on govt or timber owned land, (no provincial (up north) or national parks), so no idea who might be passing by really. These spots are somewhat remote, minimum 20 miles from a town or paved road. Roads are completely inaccessible due to snow from early Nov until late April, so spots are all new (still actively scouting more), mostly found within the last month or so.
I gotcha.........sounds awesome though :smoke:....Always wise to get a feel for it.......which you'll use every season after, etc.....
Everything seems good for now, spent days out in the bush looking for spots, getting to know the area and I've yet to come across another person on foot. Usually a couple vehicles here and there, sometimes none.

But you know, I cant really say how much traffic there is until I spend an entire season out there. Could be hiking tours or some shit going through there in the summer for all i know, so...
You could look around a little and see if any tours conducted, etc....physically, online, etc, etc....Can check.....and keep an eye out.....you know...sure you know better overview of area than I......Keep an eye out though man....you know, as we always say......most people pay no attention to a lot of things, so.....you pay attention, and, you learn much more very easily about everything :smoke:.....
Also, its quite dry here, and there's not a lot of ground cover, so i've decided to focus on smaller, later rounds. Plus stock was also an issue. Lack of preparation on my part. Luckily I was able to secure a local cutting from a friend a few days ago which is currently being grown into a mom, so #'s are limited to what I can get off her.
See man.......I love such things...situations :smoke:....You lack, yet adapt and work with what you have, and, job gets done, wheras for someone else?,.....they might be long gone...:smoke:..

I love that shit :smoke:....I get those spur of the moment things, and, I'm almost positive I become more effective and work much better when trying to throw thing together spur of moment :smoke:....
Yep a lot easier to store and transport than bales. Thats why I'm so attracted to coco really. I have no idea who I'm going to come across while driving to sites...and having a vehicle loaded with supplies (SUV, no trunk...i know, i know but only vehicle i have access to with 4wd) obviously isn't a good thing.

With bales, i could fit 3, plus a few bags of castings, manure, etc, but even then its somewhat visible, even if wrapped, covered, etc.
I hear ya loud and clear across several angles.......:smoke:That's why I like my dry mix (and, as above, have wondered about even combining with coco chips in it...).....Love my dry mix (nutes and crystals.......so compact, effective.....little works a lot, etc.....)

Yeah man, heavy loads annoy me as much as anyone else :biglaugh:.....all the wayfrom vehicles handling, reduced mileage, unloading, then hauling to spots, etc, which, previous years I didn't so as much, but, now, right back to it, so.......especially annoyed about it :biglaugh:.....I want my spots back where I just have to drill and dump dry mix :biglaugh:

(Although,I have been working things more than I have do......and concious of it.....I mean, since we have loads and are there?, well, might as well go all the way, ya know? :smoke:....)
I was just messing around with the 5kg blocks. There the perfect size really... within 30 seconds of looking around the room I found a cardboard box, pretty standard size I think that held 3 perfectly, not an inch of space wasted...OK maybe about a half inch :smile:
I used the smaller ones......not sure size difference, but, I think I'd end up breaking up larger ones...smaller ones seemed to work perfect (cause I was just adding some to the mix, not straight coco, etc, so, little bit suited my needs and wants, etc.....)
Those 15 gal tote bins, (24x16x16.5) hold 4 nicely, if you cut the fourth one into a couple pieces. I started playing around with the vehicle. Can easily fit 3 boxes on the floor in front of seats, 2 totes on back seat, another 2 totes in cargo area, one being used for nutes, etc. Throw some clothes on top of the boxes, maybe a small cooler, fishing rod, tackle box, etc? Your just going camping right?:smile:

Thats 21 blocks. Equivalent to 10 and half bales :D

If you started cramming bricks into crevices you could probably get another couple bales equivalent.

Yea I'm feeling you on that...Even when using it mixed in as another ingredient I'm thinking of leaving a few inches of native soil on top. I figure it cant hurt.
Yeah, I was just thinking about that (sun, heat, exposure, etc)....don't think it would work too well unless something done.....(constant irrigation, mulch, covered, etc)........maybe would, doesn't seem like it would though.....

fitting even in boxes on floor of front seat :biglaugh: sounds like me sometimes :biglaugh:.....(I was somewhere not too long ago...found myself very concerned with weight/cargo capacity of vehicle........getting flats, etc :biglaugh:......)

Last edited:

lemonade

Veteran
"Any and everything that can save time and effort is worth it (cause can spend that time an effort on different tasks, etc.....) "
Yep i agree 100%. Gotta get things done efficiently as possible. Everything planned out well in advance, so there are no surprises. Work smarter, not harder right? :smile:

The quicker things are done and wrapped up, the safer you are, time can be spent working on other things, etc.
"See man.......I love such things...situations ....You lack, yet adapt and work with what you have, and, job gets done, wheras for someone else?,.....they might be long gone....."

Yea no doubt man. Ever since I started growing a few years ago, I've found it practically impossible to let a season pass without planting something, no matter how limiting the circumstances. Shit I didn't even mention the vehicle I'm currently relying on... :smile:

20+ years old, 250000+ miles...Runs alright..but could die at any time really. 20, 30 miles into the bush, middle of the night...Yea I'm quite happy when it starts up. :smoke:

Needless to say I'm currently looking for a new vehicle, but that takes time, budget is limited, etc.

I was thinking about something that I don't think has been mentioned in the thread so far (shocking isn't it?) that could be of use to someone.

Keeping clones in stasis. I'm sure many people know, if you take cuttings from a mom, put them in a ziplock with a bit of water at the bottom and throw em in the fridge you can leave them in there for weeks until you decide to root them.

I've done up to a month, and have heard of others doing 2+ months. Could be useful if someone has limited space, ie not enough to keep mothers and clones. One could grow out mothers, shave em down, start a round of clones, put the rest in stasis, and continue to root fresh batches when needed until they're no longer viable. :smile:

Last edited:

rhizome

Julian said:
What I really wanted to do originally was run some through a woodchipper, and then mix large amounts in with the dry mix (nutes and crystals and chunks of coco.......thought that might have worked fairly well...quick, efficient....but an advance prep that way, do holes, wait week or two for some soaking rains, etc..........still might try that in future depending on how they go through chipper...

Bales shaved down to 4x4x12 go right thru mine. Little bangy, but the neighbors are used to it.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lemonade said:
Yep i agree 100%. Gotta get things done efficiently as possible. Everything planned out well in advance, so there are no surprises. Work smarter, not harder right? :smile:

The quicker things are done and wrapped up, the safer you are, time can be spent working on other things, etc.
Absolutely........:smoke:...That's what it's all about....but, you know, while maintaining flexibility, as above :smoke:....something can happen, thought can arise which can make everything even more efficient and effective :smoke:..
Yea no doubt man. Ever since I started growing a few years ago, I've found it practically impossible to let a season pass without planting something, no matter how limiting the circumstances. Shit I didn't even mention the vehicle I'm currently relying on... :smile:

20+ years old, 250000+ miles...Runs alright..but could die at any time really. 20, 30 miles into the bush, middle of the night...Yea I'm quite happy when it starts up. :smoke:

Needless to say I'm currently looking for a new vehicle, but that takes time, budget is limited, etc.
Well, I have to tell you.....I feel very strongly about that....transporting plants to site, harvest back.......Any vehicles must be kept 100% at all times...

I know man, maybe money's an issue, etc, but, man, look at the alternative...........and a little bad luck, ya know?...(I had a partner on an op once, with something which let's call a 100% equipment violation....small thing, you know, not a major thing...might even miss it if not looking close, but, I mean, dude was transporting and such, and, I fuckin bitched at his ass constantly (He had money to fix....wasn't the issue, was more of the "didn't have time" for it kind of thing......

Did anything happen?....nope....but, was a obvious reason to stop him even if no moving violation... ...Lucky guy.......so....you can't risk getting stuck with plants or a load man, so, please, please, please, please try and keep it 100%...(as much as older stuff can be......)

Lot of the stuff we use/have always used for projects are not new, by any means..(Don't want to take nice stuff where a single run will scratch the fuck out of it, etc, etc....so...the above (20/250k) sounds about like everything we have ever used on an op :smoke:.......
I was thinking about something that I don't think has been mentioned in the thread so far (shocking isn't it?) that could be of use to someone.

Keeping clones in stasis. I'm sure many people know, if you take cuttings from a mom, put them in a ziplock with a bit of water at the bottom and throw em in the fridge you can leave them in there for weeks until you decide to root them.

I've done up to a month, and have heard of others doing 2+ months. Could be useful if someone has limited space, ie not enough to keep mothers and clones. One could grow out mothers, shave em down, start a round of clones, put the rest in stasis, and continue to root fresh batches when needed until they're no longer viable. :smile:
Not sure if we hit on it....know we hit on cuttings from plots, and such.....I've never done that..(Kept things in stasis...).....I get everything going so can have quicker round again :smoke:..., but, always a good thing to remind people of...especially people not aware, and, there are I think a lot not aware......

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rhizome said:
Bales shaved down to 4x4x12 go right thru mine. Little bangy, but the neighbors are used to it.
Yeah, the 5 kilo bricks, right?.......like above?.......

Yeah, really thought about that for a while, still do....would work very well for me (dry mix, nutes, crystals, coco........could make right ratios and I think single heft bag could go a long way.......(cutting all supplies down to drill, mix, nutes/water to plant..........which would simplify.......)

I would have gone for the 5 kilo bricks, but, actually, turned out best with the kilo bricks how I used em.....worked very well (got a deal and took a shitload of cases)........but, yeah.......5 kilo's wouldn't have worked how I did it..(and, frankly, with the 5 kg's....might not even have ever thought of it....cause too large, etc...when I got them assumed I would use a brick per hole when I did get around to using them, and, variables just grew from there.......

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, run for stock going to be in full effect soon.......the BOG SB fems, Pink Lemon fems, Auto fems, and going to target the new stock if works well (RKS fems).....Looking forward to it...and, will be nice to have a good supply on hand....have been a little displeased across the board about stock for a little while/lately...(originally planned for upcoming ops only....but, enjoying it a little :smoke:......)

Should also be noted the spur of the moment op that came up recently, native soil absolutely kills....so, very pleased.....lot of supplies on hand I figured would use on that and didn't.....so, an excess, free's those up......and recently finished earlier rounds and taking a little break......going to relax, get some sun...sit by the pool for a couple days.......(and then back to work, full force x 2 :biglaugh:......cause have stock added on....)

Really want to spread that Pink Lemon thing around also.......something very exceptional.......don't think an exaggeration :smoke:...

G

how big do you guys normally dig your holes outside? what is the yield off them too? commercial growing involves alot of digging lol, i have thought of renting one of those 1 man post diggers and using that...might be to loud??

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Several notes........

Was talking to someone recently who has run extremely ineffective and unprofitable 2k's, then went to 6-8k's, one bust due to something in the "Security 101" manual, no outdoors experience, yet was trying to assure me they are 100% competent, and able to run either a major outdoor operation or larger industrial site......

(I'm going somewhere with this, bear with me :smoke:........)

I am sure that initial introduction really needs no further info, and, is sufficient for anyone to make a ruling on that......but.........I like a little conversation here and there...:smoke:.. so........I humored him for a little while......

When I asked him is he confident in his knowledge, ability, talent.....he replied absolutely, positively......

When I asked him does he think he possess a great enough understanding of the overview to fully command such from start to finish, successfully?.....He was certain of it....

But.......see.....the problem is :smoke:.....When I asked him if those were true, then why did he get busted on a small one due to simple matters, and, why didn't he have enough money to run it himself....(Surely, not a lot of money for such a talented and skilled professional grower such as he....) he thought that was a very obnoxious statement.......(Even though seemingly obnoxious......the absolute 100% truth....)

Of course, then I humored him some more and quizzed him on preferred techniques, which stock he preferred, and, budget estimates......

None of which he could fuckin answer....(to the degree one would expect such a person could...answers very quick, and short, no detail, and, no grasp of variables each contains.....)

Even no awareness of ongoing operating expenses through the course of the operation....

Of interest but not necessary was he wanted to know if I wanted to put any money in...........which, anyone reading this thread, knows is a silly question to start with........:smoke: Why would I want to fund something for someone else to take half....or a portion, etc, and not run if as effectively as I wish, not be profitable ad could be, and be a daily ongoing security risk...

I have laughed
and sometimes addressed comments throughout thread referencing "kids".......referencing "novice" growers getting in "over their head"......

I've run ops that cost me over $150,000 of my own money with up to 2yrs planning....

Read through again......I can wait a sec...:smoke:

$150,000 and 2yrs of planning.........

Out or in.....from initial though...........procuring stock.......securing veg center....power....supplies.......vehicle expenses (gas, repairs, work done)......more supplies...more planning....in securing space (finally).......security deposits (more cash)....ongoing rent, power, supplies....more supplies......

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....with story above reminding me of it all and amusing me........

"Teaching a novice".....

Sure.......what they can do one day, if they get that far......if they do well....if they make enough to fund it......if they learn enough in the process...

Now, some might say "wait a second, you said earlier and had pics and said I could run 1,000 out of a closet........."

Yep.....you can........then where are they going to go? Does one have the space? the locations?, can one afford the supplies? (I can drop 10 fuckin grand on supplies like a sneeze.....) It's June 3rd(whatever.....4th?) and I am already up to about $3,000 spent on gas this season.....

Most know what it's like to plant.......and might think drilling is simple.......

Does it make the job easier?...absolutely.....is it easier than digging?...without a doubt..........is it simple?...Well...to anyone who thinks so....do even 100 and get back to me and let me know next time you think you feel like doing another 100 :smoke:...

To someone who spends the time to learn what they have to............and who spends the energy to do what they have to.....and who spends the money to get what they have to.....and can not let up and in the end get it done?....

I've fuckin got some news for you....

That's no fuckin novice,.......:smoke:

That's a "pro"....

I told the guy above he was woefully out of his depth...

He was very offended and could not imagine given his "experience" how I could say such a thing........

So.......I asked him another 30 minutes of questions he could not answer....

I thought it important to share that story........and that different people will draw something different from it.........:smoke:

Unfortunately........the guy above wasn't familiar with the "4 Senses of Self"....

Another amusing note is I tried to teach him about 15yrs ago......but he "knew what he was doing"....so, I kind of walked away and let him "do his thing"....

15yrs later................still trying to do it...and not even enough money to fund a halfway decent producing effective and efficient op....(Which $50k is a good starting point, which is as little as 13lbs......which in or out, does not take a "pro" to do........:smoke:..in as little as a single run from a 6-8k..(after enough to fund and operate)...out?...could be as little as 7-14 plants....)

So much for "knowledgeable, talented, and skilled" I suppose...

Last edited:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sniperscope said:
how big do you guys normally dig your holes outside? what is the yield off them too? commercial growing involves alot of digging lol, i have thought of renting one of those 1 man post diggers and using that...might be to loud??
You know....typically, I try to be what some consider a "nice" guy......which isn't really the case..........

The reality of it being engaging in an interesting conversation, and showing others respect, who show respect...

Now........I ponder why I would waste my valuable time.....and show someone respect........who hasn't seen fit to show me the same...

Everything above is in the first post of the thread....

First post........

So....if you can't give me enough of your time to even read the first post....

Then why do you expect me to return anything more that you have?...

:smoke:.....

If I am here.....it is for a purpose.......either I am addressing something.......or sharing something....or researching something......granted, sometimes, kill a couple minutes here reading through something that doesn't fall in line with those, but, for the most part, they fall under the above....

This doesn't.

kbn727

could run:

4 x 6-8000W a year in;

4 x Outdoors (early Afs, full, mids, and late minis)

Would easily clear your 50k up front :joint:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
kbn727 said:
could run:

4 x 6-8000W a year in;
4 6-8k's?

Fuck.......one run on an 8k and your there :smoke:

Correction...I said 13lbs above..(x 3k would be 39....so, only 40......so, 16lbs.....)
4 x Outdoors (early Afs, full, mids, and late minis)

Would easily clear your 50k up front :joint:
Well, breaks down to much less than all that......15-16lbs?........not a lot for a "pro" :smoke:.......with "skills" :smoke:.....nothing...at all......"lunch money"....

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Indica_Dreamer said:
What do you do for catepillars?
Well, I've done spots where we had problems with the little red/pink ones....(Corn borers?......), which I researched a lot....origin, how they arrived, developed, etc, and, general consensus was eggs laid by airborne early in season on plant, they hatch, then bore way into stem and feed.....and of course the issue created by those is the waste created from the holes, and the sites of the holes they bore are the starting points for mold....so.......I spent a lot of time on those actually, seeing what I could fine and general consensus was to treat plant starting early in veg....but, I didn't in the end find too much material on it........(well, what I wanted to find...I like to see like, 20 sources saying the same thing, etc).....otherwise...haven't really had too many problems with such.....really those are greatest insect problem I have ever faced....everything else, not a big thing....

At the time also I did notice infestation was seasonally based, like everything...some years less, some years more/worse......and, started also to note spots which it was more of a problem than others......

That was a little back...maybe 3-4 seasons ago was having serious problems with those in one specific location in general......

(I don't think they were the corn borers exactly though, but something similar.........was a while ago, and, gladly put it behind me..:biglaugh:.....little fuckers....)

(You know, what people call the "THC worms" :biglaugh:......crack open and have those little red/pink worms wiggling...Lot of regions actually have those, and have that problem.....)

When I encounter any such thing, I basically just start searching, reading, etc......lot of people will present a lot of remedies, but, we know, a lot of the time such are not effective, so....in the case above I turned to agriculture, farming sources, etc....(like Deer issues.....will find 100 different proposed solutions, but rarely 100 in agreement about best solution, etc.....)

Edit: I do a lot of things in a lot of areas also, so, I am always aware different areas will have different problems, and, try to search out what those will be earlier on....sometimes you can find such....sometimes not.....doing one now and wondering this week actually what are location specific issues that might come up....(Animals, have an idea what to expect, have talked with a lot of locals.....insects and such?...not quite sure yet.......still checking a lot of things.....but, when and if something comes up, will get a better idea and get on it......I sometimes treat earlier on with generic things also depending on how things are looking..(Neem, Pyrethrum, Orange oil based, etc.......have made inquiries before about creating a mix with all 3......didn't do it because didn't know how all would react to each other (if at all).....

You know.....I'm no encyclopedia....I see an issue, I research it the best I can and address it......

Last edited:

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
(like Deer issues.....will find 100 different proposed solutions, but rarely 100 in agreement about best solution, etc.....)

Cause everyone is growing in different environments with different priorities...which leads nicely to:

You know.....I'm no encyclopedia....I see an issue, I research it the best I can and address it......

Research, experiment and find the best for your situation.

"If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself"

Not that I'm a super experienced grower, or commercial, or even want to go pro...but I know enough to meet my needs. It's nice of you sharing through this thread, Julian, but telling people is really only going to help so much, unfortunately. They just have to have the basics, common sense and go and find out for themselves.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Saibai said:
Cause everyone is growing in different environments with different priorities...which leads nicely to:
True, but, not necessarily......good example also is mosquito's.....I've even looking into that, and, all the things you hear?....well, CDC says they are all ineffective and myths...:smoke:....

I was just referring to proposed solutions......Many can state above with Deer issues they "have tried everything", etc...Well, until they did.....they listened to what they had heard to develop that list of "everything" (all of which obviously didn't work :smoke:...) Yes, for them, their environment, etc....

Wildlife issues of course region to region and even drastically within the same region depending on specifics...
Research, experiment and find the best for your situation.

"If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself"

Not that I'm a super experienced grower, or commercial, or even want to go pro...but I know enough to meet my needs. It's nice of you sharing through this thread, Julian, but telling people is really only going to help so much, unfortunately. They just have to have the basics, common sense and go and find out for themselves.
Or at least teach them how to do it right so you don't have to do it yourself :biglaugh:......

Of course, as always, but, somewhere in the process, the seemingly most insignificant point in a discussion can sometimes make a world of difference...(does often for me).....so......you never know.....:smoke:....

I say all the time..."Theory is nice......."practice" is better :smoke:.....

I don't know man...("Super experienced".....)......I think people discount the knowledge and experience that can come from even a single successful run...let alone 2....3....4....etc....Like anything in life....first time for everyone is always not the easiest.....but.....what one can gain from it......and subsequent........all priceless.......:smoke:....)

On that note.....was talking with someone today about the significance and impact of each successful run....be it indoor or outdoor, and, the run itself....well, put that aside.......I think the most significant factor is what are they learning during, or in between runs that dictates much more....

We all view life differently....approach tasks differently.......different goals and objectives of course, but, regardless what those are....I would think improving should be included in all scenarios........

For example, your scenario?.....Well, you could be thinking how to train those little fuckers to work :biglaugh:

I've been saying for years one could teach a monkey to do most of this stuff :smoke:....:biglaugh:......

Someone recently called thread "think tank".......had to think about it for a second, but, liked it, cause, it is for me........(discussions always are....lot of the time thinking out loud, etc......) Changed up several things even recently spur of the moment on a couple ops.........(couple different so far this year..... different places, varying sizes, varying conditions and soil, etc.......medium to small I would say........but, not through with them yet and maybe couple little small things added, and, as always, have my city stuff going, but, went smaller this year because have those couple things going, so.....in the end....sure it will all come out well as far as bottom line and yield :smoke:...)

Last edited:

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
For sure, even a single successful run. The early stages are exponential learning.
Basically, I mean that I get the job done, do what I want/have to do, and constantly experiment with just about every aspect of my grows to get better results/make it easier on myself.
Speaking of which, a gang of monkeys, running my grow? That would be unreal. Good luck trying to arrest a monkey. :D
I'm just happy if we can coexist on the same mountain in peace.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Saibai said:
For sure, even a single successful run. The early stages are exponential learning.
Basically, I mean that I get the job done, do what I want/have to do, and constantly experiment with just about every aspect of my grows to get better results/make it easier on myself.
Absolutely.........absolutely........."exponential" a fitting choice of words :smoke:....That's it...above......what more can be said?........so......"super experienced"?....well, maybe not today, but, maybe tomorrow :smoke:....
Speaking of which, a gang of monkeys, running my grow?
Sure, why not.......I do all the time :biglaugh:

Been there, done that!.....

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

(I know what you mean....you know what I mean :biglaugh:)......

I thought that was pretty fuckin funny btw :biglaugh:

:smoke:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts