What's new

Massachusetts Outdoor

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I heard from a guy who knows a guy who knows a stat poo-poo and the statey said that theres gonna be 30 more copters flying around looking for plants. If they see them at all from the sky, the cops will be at your house to pull them.

So make sure you can move your ladies under a tree or suttin'. Greenhouse, whatever.
I know how the cops operate here. Shady scumbags! We make the law legal to grow your own and they are ready to bust anyone and everyone they can who does it!
Make it legal so they can bust everyone! Nice....... Love Mass! :moon:

if your friend's friend had a better imagination he could have frightened you more by saying that the Staties invested a plausible $200K in Drones rather than an impossible $200 million on choppers.:laughing:

the dude prolly sells greenhouses...:biggrin:

A-police-surveillance-drone.jpg

Friday, October 07, 2016
Marijuana plant seizures funded with $60,000 federal grant

The seizure of marijuana plants at locations throughout Massachusetts, including a single plant grown by an Amherst grandmother to treat her glaucoma and arthritis, is funded by a $60,000 grant from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency.

The Massachusetts State Police and the Massachusetts National Guard, the agencies that conducted the Sept. 21 operation that yielded 44 plants in Amherst, Northampton and Hadley, including one plant at 81-year-old Margaret Holcomb’s home in South Amherst, are two of 128 agencies across the country participating in the Domestic Cannabis Eradication and Suppression Program.

That program is likely to continue whether or not Massachusetts residents pass a ballot measure to legalize recreational marijuana, according to officials.

Timothy Desmond, a spokesman for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency in Boston, said in a telephone interview that the federal program has supported efforts in all 50 states for more than 30 years.

“This is part of a national drug control policy that funds state and local marijuana eradication pursuant to their state laws,” Desmond said.

David Procopio, spokesman for the State Police, said in an email Friday that the grant covers the costs of overtime pay for several narcotics unit troopers for the days they are performing these marijuana eradication missions.

The helicopter and air crew costs, though, are not associated with State Police, Procopio said.

Procopio added that the State Police and National Guard have received identical funding in prior years and will learn in January whether the federal government will again support marijuana enforcement work at the same level next year.

Data available on the DEA’s website shows that in Massachusetts in 2015, the operation found 3,138 plants growing outdoors at 116 sites, with four arrests made and four weapons seized. The previous year, 1,802 plants were found growing at 111 sites, with four arrests made, and no weapons seized.
Concern expressed

While some concern has been expressed by people who have learned about the action that led to the removal of Holcomb’s plant, which was spotted from a helicopter, as well as similar medical marijuana plants confiscated while being grown in Wendell, the operation does not allow discretion on whose plants to remove and whose to allow to continue to grow, Procopio said.

“We have no discretion to leave the plants,” Procopio said. “Once we have seen them we have to seize them. The discretion we have is in whether to seek criminal charges, and in most cases we do not do so.”

Procopio added that authorities are sympathetic to people who use medical marijuana responsibly, or whose loved ones do so, to ease pain caused by illness or disease.

“We of course support people’s right to use medical marijuana legally to improve their quality of life,” Procopio said. “But the law that prohibits unsecured, outdoor grows makes no distinction about the reasons or circumstances behind the grow.”

Northampton attorney Richard Evans, an expert on medical marijuana who has long pushed for legalization of the drug, said in an email that the Nov. 8 ballot question, which gives voters an opportunity to legalize recreational marijuana, could show how the evolution of attitudes toward the drug have changed.

But Evans anticipates the federally funded program will continue to provide money for states to remove marijuana being grown on private properties.

“If Question 4 passes, it’s not inconceivable that some state law enforcement agencies with budgets to burn will nevertheless take to the skies and look for horticultural scofflaws,” Evans said. “But hopefully most public officials will absorb the message from the voters that it’s time to get real about marijuana, and see that they stop.”

Scott Merzbach can be reached at smerzbach@gazettenet.com.

Mass State Police currently owns 5 choppers.
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/msp/etrt/airwing.html

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Let's get this show on the road!

Let's get this show on the road!

Just finished planting the garden and I must say I think I did a fine job :peacock: gonna start a pest spraying regimen after the rain ends Tuesday.
picture.php

picture.php

Hope everyone else's weekend was productive. Good luck out there!

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran

“We have no discretion to leave the plants,” Procopio said. “Once we have seen them we have to seize them. The discretion we have is in whether to seek criminal charges, and in most cases we do not do so.”

But Evans anticipates the federally funded program will continue to provide money for states to remove marijuana being grown on private properties.

“If Question 4 passes, it’s not inconceivable that some state law enforcement agencies with budgets to burn will nevertheless take to the skies and look for horticultural scofflaws,” Evans said. “But hopefully most public officials will absorb the message from the voters that it’s time to get real about marijuana, and see that they stop.”

Scott Merzbach can be reached at smerzbach@gazettenet.com.

Mass State Police currently owns 5 choppers.
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/msp/etrt/airwing.html

Thats exactly what he said. If they see them from the sky, they will take them.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
No as soon as I transplanted I went to strait water ph'd to 6.5

Looks Great! I've got an electric cultivator on the way. Going to steal your ideas on fencing and straw for weed control. Smaht. 8)

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Thats exactly what he said. If they see them from the sky, they will take them.

THE REGULATION AND TAXATION OF MARIJUANA ACT
Section 13. Penalties
(a) Restrictions on personal cultivation. No person shall cultivate or process marijuana plants pursuant to section 8 of this chapter if the plants are visible from a public place without the use of binoculars, aircraft or other optical aids or cultivate or process marijuana plants outside of an area that is equipped with a lock or other security device. A person who violates this subsection shall be punished by a civil penalty of not more than $300 and forfeiture of the marijuana, but shall not be subject to any other form of criminal or civil punishment or disqualification solely for this conduct.

Bobbo4200

Veteran
I bet it's still gonna be crazy going, or crazy growing in Mass lol.

Shit weather round here for a few days.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Every plant I grow is somewhat visible from a public spot one way or the other. This sux!
Even though they are behind a fence on private land, you will see them for sure from the street.

~star~crash~

they are NOT going to swoop down on humble back yard growers... if you're going to be a jerk and grow fields out in the open then yes U gonna get busted

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Were gonna need to put up site barriers around the yard so noone can see the glistening buds, standing tall and proud, over the fence in any direction.

The Female Seeds Outdoor Grapefruit can't be topped or made into a bush, as its a semi auto and is done by Sept.
It gets to a tall 8' tree.
Got 2 out there. I arranged the strains to have 2x apiece. That way theres no arguments over who gets this plant or that or this strain. We each get 1x of each kind.

This is gonna be a crazy year. To be honest, Im not expecting to pull off the 10 plant grow where the OD Grapefruits are.
Im only expecting to pull off the 6 plant grow at my good friends. I doubt anything good will come of the autos. But we'll see.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Im thinking of fencing /locking part of my back deck, which is very large, in order to comply.
Im not seeing any sort of specific requirements in terms of fencing. Maybe im missing it.
Other than public visibility, are there height requirements? Four foot fence? Six foot?
I suppose intent of the law is to make the plants secure and inaccessible to unauthorized persons so a 6-8 foot fence is what would be required, at least.
Honestly, I could scale a ten foot fence easily. Just trying to wrap my head around it all.