What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

I wood

High praise indeed. All puns appreciated.
Thank you, Tangwena.
Here is my first attempt at something like a thai stick.
No pure thai has found me, yet. So i used khmer gold to make fake thai sticks.
aka polish thai sticks.

Last edited:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
It's interesting that even with your higher temps and long duration you still ended up with some color and not a dark block.

Our humidity is low right now so I'm nervous about over drying and missing the mark.so far so good though.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Here's some Panama. It had a 3 hour sweat in a 110f water bath, then remained sealed overnight at room temperature. I opened it this morning and was greeted with a wonderful very light fermentation smell with a mix of terpenes that reminded me of artist oil paints and spicy incense. The buds were very sticky when I started, only dried for a little over 2 days, and they had turned a drier sort of sticky after the fermentation. Almost felt like clay when I pulled them from the bags. I made one loose cob and then threw a couple of the biggest buds in by themselves.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Here's some Panama. It had a 3 hour sweat in a 110f water bath, then remained sealed overnight at room temperature. I opened it this morning and was greeted with a wonderful very light fermentation smell with a mix of terpenes that reminded me of artist oil paints and spicy incense. The buds were very sticky when I started, only dried for a little over 2 days, and they had turned a drier sort of sticky after the fermentation. Almost felt like clay when I pulled them from the bags. I made one loose cob and then threw a couple of the biggest buds in by themselves.

View Image View Image
Those look just right now all they need is a cure sealed up in a warm location.
Check weekly open bag surface dry and re seal they will cure beautifully.
Thats the sort of look texture and smell your after at the start of the cure.
Those loose buds look unreal i can see they will shine after 3 or 4 weeks curing.
Things will start getting interesting for you know you have the feel for it.

Tangwena

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74919&pictureid=1996175View Image High praise indeed. All puns appreciated.
Thank you, Tangwena.
Here is my first attempt at something like a thai stick.
No pure thai has found me, yet. So i used khmer gold to make fake thai sticks.
aka polish thai sticks.
Not bad a little over sweated maybe but will still work.
Starting with a slightly dryer product and a shorter sweat helps keep the terps.
But every batch of buds is different so you just have to get a feel for it through experimentation your on the right path though.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Those look just right now all they need is a cure sealed up in a warm location.
Check weekly open bag surface dry and re seal they will cure beautifully.
Thats the sort of look texture and smell your after at the start of the cure.
Those loose buds look unreal i can see they will shine after 3 or 4 weeks curing.
Things will start getting interesting for you know you have the feel for it.

Thanks Tang. I sure do appreciate all the helpful advice throughout this thread. It was a great read and I bookmarked several spots for later referral.

I'm definitely getting a feel for it now and hopefully I will see some great results. I've got a bunch of these cobs and budlets to age, and now I'm out of ammo for more cob action for at least another month or more. So it turns into a waiting game to see how these age, with some weekly test samplings of course. ;) I cannot wait to test some chew though, and I picked up a little scale just so I can be accurate on dosage and not over due it.

All this really brings me back to my youth. In the early 80's most of the weed you would get was hard pressed and full of seeds, or at least compressed to some extent for smuggling. So, as has been mentioned in this thread, whether intentionally or inadvertently, we were often getting a fermented product to some degree. And it makes sense on so many levels. But then green buds came in along with the Skunk Revolution. And then it was all knock out indica after that when most production moved indoors and everyone wanted shorter grow cycles and smaller plants. Well, I've sure been missing some nice brown Columbian or Mexican brick weed and this is a nice chance to try to replicate those. Actually, I hope to go way beyond that and I think your vacuum cob method is the hot ticket. Plus, I really like the long term storage aspect which is something I've been struggling with trying to improve. So these are just valuable skills all around and so thanks again man. :)

Sundog

48 hour sweat

48 hour sweat

Looking good guys. This was sweated for 48 hours on top of LED light. Opened it and dried the wrapper/bag. Tied it back up and put it back. This was COBBED straight off the plant with no drying time. When opened the smell was the same as when it went in but was stronger and could be smelled though the bag. I'm very pleased with how it's going on my first run.

Attachments

• IMG_3528.jpg
    IMG_3528.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 20

Tangwena

Veteran
Looking good guys. This was sweated for 48 hours on top of LED light. Opened it and dried the wrapper/bag. Tied it back up and put it back. This was COBBED straight off the plant with no drying time. When opened the smell was the same as when it went in but was stronger and could be smelled though the bag. I'm very pleased with how it's going on my first run.
You should slowly dry that now or it may overferment being so wet.
Its done a nice job so far you wouldn't want it to go much further or you could loose some terps smells.
It will do very dark quickly from here.

Tangwena

Veteran
Malawi x Ethiopian #1

Malawi x Ethiopian #1

Here is some M x E that has been fermented for 12 hrs in one and 24 hours in another one at 40c one at 32c.
Now drying to preserve the terpy aromas and halt fermentation ready to age.

a

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Looking yummy brother.

You might have said in the other thread, but are those E x M seeds or did you dust her with another strain?

I was watching that Malawi cob video on Youtube yesterday and someone mentioned Mulanje. That was the other one you had going right?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
is it the husks that make or break it?
i just put a couple fresh not dried ounces into a paper towel roll and compacted it and set it on top of a floro lamp.

how did i miss drying it after 24/48 hrs?
i assumed the paper roll would wick most of the moisture and reduce fermentation.
it's sealed inside a baggie, so i can't imagine too much moisture being lost.
i've used this method before and it came out hard like hash and it impressed, but i don't think it fermented (?) at all, was just hard dry compressed...
i did this just days ago so i best go look after it.

Tangwena

Veteran
Looking yummy brother.

You might have said in the other thread, but are those E x M seeds or did you dust her with another strain?

I was watching that Malawi cob video on Youtube yesterday and someone mentioned Mulanje. That was the other one you had going right?
Yes they are they were dusted with Mulanje pollen. It is as well stunning plant I have High hopes on that one as well ha ha.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
That is some gorgeous weed man.

Hey my little Honduras x Panama clone is now in flower and just starting to get some of that incense fragrance. I can't wait to cob her up in a couple of months.

Tangwena

Veteran
That is some gorgeous weed man.

Hey my little Honduras x Panama clone is now in flower and just starting to get some of that incense fragrance. I can't wait to cob her up in a couple of months.
Man the Honduras x Panama is a stand out stinky bitch brother so good.
I defy any smoker to not go crazy just from the jar being opened in a room.
I have def got to grow them again luckily I have a few cobs aging.
But EVERY time I get high on one I find myself promising myself to grow more.
The terps from cobbing that stuff could be sold on their own I swear.
Keep the sweat real short the plant will do the rest.

Tangwena

Veteran
is it the husks that make or break it?
i just put a couple fresh not dried ounces into a paper towel roll and compacted it and set it on top of a floro lamp.

how did i miss drying it after 24/48 hrs?
i assumed the paper roll would wick most of the moisture and reduce fermentation.
it's sealed inside a baggie, so i can't imagine too much moisture being lost.
i've used this method before and it came out hard like hash and it impressed, but i don't think it fermented (?) at all, was just hard dry compressed...
i did this just days ago so i best go look after it.
To many different things possibly going on there man.
Its hard to know where if at all things are going wrong.
Best to get a vacuum sealer then its easy to know how and what goes on.
I never had any success no matter how I tried until I got one then it became easy.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
yesterday i removed the cob from the baggie.
it was wet, there was condensation in the baggie, and looked like mold on the paper wrap.
left it out overnight next to a fan to dry.
replaced roll into baggie...a new one...
today or tomorrow i'll check it again. maybe take some pics...i don't often post pics, but in this case i desire a connoisseurs opinion.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Are you using a vacuum bag? It has to be vacuumed so that mold will not grow. A few folks have had luck without vacuuming, but they are probably starting with the herb a bit dryer and are wrapping it up very tight.

Latest posts

Latest posts