What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
So the key is to sweat for at least 24 hours, until some of the excess moisture is gone, then dry the skin and vac seal for a few weeks? I'm glad I bought the vac sealer a couple years ago when I was starting to get into growing. Will make it easy to check up on the progress.

It would be interesting to find out how they cure flavored chewing tobacco. I could see a CBD chew being very popular...add peach flavoring. Yum.

Tangwena

Veteran
So the key is to sweat for at least 24 hours, until some of the excess moisture is gone, then dry the skin and vac seal for a few weeks? I'm glad I bought the vac sealer a couple years ago when I was starting to get into growing. Will make it easy to check up on the progress.

It would be interesting to find out how they cure flavored chewing tobacco. I could see a CBD chew being very popular...add peach flavoring. Yum.
The key is the sweat it doesn't have to be 24hrs sometimes even 6hrs is enough it depends on the bud density and sweat temp.
There is a lot to master but nothing beats practice use your nose you will know your on track if you like the smell.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
It's got that sickly sweet fermentation smell this morning when I unwrapped it for a peek. Looks like the real deal to me. I never got a tremendous amount of water out of it, just a fog as opposed to drops inside the bag. But then again, this is a small amount...just weighed it and it's 6 grams.

Anyhow, it is just a little damp to the touch. So just dry the outside and then vac seal it up for a few weeks, checking it periodically and resealing? It no longer needs the cob wrapper does it, or should I rewrap it every time?

Tangwena

Veteran
It's got that sickly sweet fermentation smell this morning when I unwrapped it for a peek. Looks like the real deal to me. I never got a tremendous amount of water out of it, just a fog as opposed to drops inside the bag. But then again, this is a small amount...just weighed it and it's 6 grams.

Anyhow, it is just a little damp to the touch. So just dry the outside and then vac seal it up for a few weeks, checking it periodically and resealing? It no longer needs the cob wrapper does it, or should I rewrap it every time?

View Image
Excellent that looks done do as you are planning being small check it every 4 or 5 days and dry the surface as needed.
The sweet smell is the sign your good, it will deepen and change but as long as its still deep fruity its curing well.
Its easier with larger amounts small amounts can change too fast.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Thanks Tang. I let it sit out for a couple of hours and then bagged and vacuumed it back up and put it in a warm place. I will keep a close eye out.

In the meantime, after spending an hour or two researching on this thread, I threw caution to the wind. I threw some more E x M into a loose cob, did not roll tight but left it very lightly packed together and then drew a partial vacuum on the bag to compress it slightly. There is a tiny bit of air in there still. I put it into the hot water bath in a better thermos and will let sit overnight.

Then I grabbed some Zamaldelica buds that have been drying for about 3 days and were still fairly moist, but just starting to dry on the outside. I threw those into a vac bag canary style and threw them in the hot water bath as well.

This stuff is awesome, thanks again to all the folks who have been contributing.

Hotmess

album.php
[/IMG]

Long time lurker, first post! I have read this start to finish. Thanks everyone for the awesome guide, especially Tangwena for the revival of a unique curing Technique. I really miss the old school ways of Found it just in time, I had just taken down a nice c99 and dried it for 72 hours. Took 1oz, used a sushi mat to roll my cob, wrapped in dried corn husk, vacuumed sealed and placed in my dehydrator at 105f for 24hrs. Just a bit of moisture to wipe off, revaccume sealed, kept at about 70-80f for 2 1/2 weeks. Opened it up today and was pleasantly surprised! Hashy smell with an bit of fruit and fermented funk. Letting it dry out for a few days and I will re-vacuum seal to cure. Of course I took a small sample to try a little late when it dries up a bit. Just ordered some ace seeds for a new round later. Ordered Panama, golden tiger and Malawi. Can not wait to try this batch at different stages of cure!

Tangwena

Veteran
View Image]View Image[/url]

Long time lurker, first post! I have read this start to finish. Thanks everyone for the awesome guide, especially Tangwena for the revival of a unique curing Technique. I really miss the old school ways of Found it just in time, I had just taken down a nice c99 and dried it for 72 hours. Took 1oz, used a sushi mat to roll my cob, wrapped in dried corn husk, vacuumed sealed and placed in my dehydrator at 105f for 24hrs. Just a bit of moisture to wipe off, revaccume sealed, kept at about 70-80f for 2 1/2 weeks. Opened it up today and was pleasantly surprised! Hashy smell with an bit of fruit and fermented funk. Letting it dry out for a few days and I will re-vacuum seal to cure. Of course I took a small sample to try a little late when it dries up a bit. Just ordered some ace seeds for a new round later. Ordered Panama, golden tiger and Malawi. Can not wait to try this batch at different stages of cure!
Just saw your post my friend sounds good the smells are spot on so looking good for a great cure.
The seeds you ordered are the bees knees for this cure and you will not be disappointed I am sure cured this way they will blow your mind my friend.
Next time try shorter sweats especially on the Panama and Gt they come out so terpy and tasty.
Please post pics as you go that way I can guide you and you will save a lot of trial and error.
Its not hard and once you get the feel you will be able to create your own unique style many people have done so and are making unreal cures.

Hotmess

I have Alaskan Thunder fuck growing now. Had some massive plants outside this past summer and it was incredible smoke. I had nice clones going so getting ready to switch from veg to flower soon! I think it will make great cob! Can’t wait to try.

Thanks Tangwena, always will be looking to perfect all aspects of this method. Any guidance from the master is always welcome, thank you.

Tangwena

Veteran
Its a bit overfermented you probably need to stop further or at least slow down fermenting.
You could dry it about 75% now and it should be good to go.
I am not familiar with the Alaskan but if its good smoke it will be good cured this way to.
If its a lot stick half a pound in a vac bag and do some canary style buds you can get some killer product and its easier.

Hotmess

Was in process of drying now. Will do a75% dry and reseal in vac bag and open weekly to check it until I feel it’s ready. Thanks for the help! The sample I just tried is great! Taste is great, straight to my head, very up and a bit floaty.
Many thanks!

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Question for the CobFather Tangwena and the rest of the Cobbees: :)

Can the normal effects of the harvest window be manipulated by the cure? In other words, can plants that are taken on the early side be mellowed or "balanced" by introducing a longer sweat, varied temperature or longer darker aging? Conversely, can a later harvested plant be perked up by a very short sweat and shorter aging?

I grow mostly Ace sativas, almost exclusively, but seems like this kind of nuanced info might be helpful and have broader applications, even if it is entirely anecdotal. I'd love to hear from the smokers too since I will most likely be smoking most of my fermented products. I have a sous vide immersion heater coming today so I can get more precise control over the process. And a jar vac attachment is on the way for my Foodsaver too.

Such a cool thread btw, so thanks to all the contributors. I'm at around page 210 after reading intently for the past week. Definitely going to be doing plenty of this stuff from now on. I just started taking down a 16 week Zamaldelica and I have a small Panama in the wings.

Tangwena

Veteran
Question for the CobFather Tangwena and the rest of the Cobbees: :)

Can the normal effects of the harvest window be manipulated by the cure? In other words, can plants that are taken on the early side be mellowed or "balanced" by introducing a longer sweat, varied temperature or longer darker aging? Conversely, can a later harvested plant be perked up by a very short sweat and shorter aging?

I grow mostly Ace sativas, almost exclusively, but seems like this kind of nuanced info might be helpful and have broader applications, even if it is entirely anecdotal. I'd love to hear from the smokers too since I will most likely be smoking most of my fermented products. I have a sous vide immersion heater coming today so I can get more precise control over the process. And a jar vac attachment is on the way for my Foodsaver too.

Such a cool thread btw, so thanks to all the contributors. I'm at around page 210 after reading intently for the past week. Definitely going to be doing plenty of this stuff from now on. I just started taking down a 16 week Zamaldelica and I have a small Panama in the wings.
Good to hear my friend you will find no end to the ways you can manipulate the results.
You hit the nail on the head with your statement that late harvest will benefit from a short sweat.
Early harvest can be very surprising. I harvested a Panama due to white fly infestation very early at around 10 weeks it had mostly white pistils and just for fun and rather than binning it I gave it a very long sweat.
I left it vac sealed in my car in the sun for 3 or 4 days.
Mainly because I forgot about it.
When I retrieved it it was chocolate brown. I dried it fully as it was well fermented.
When I tried some I shat myself honestly I was totally tripped out seeing and hearing things that were not there it blew me away.
I still have some 3 years later and I'm still kind of scared of it ha ha.
Under the scope all the resin was brown and black in color.

Experiment my friend its crazy what happens during this process.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Hehe, I think I just got past that part in the thread where you reported on the Panama and the white fly invasion...

Experiments R Us. I love this kind of shit. :D

Tangwena

Veteran
How about some Zamaldelica appetizers? I would definitely eat at that bistro. :tiphat:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81845&pictureid=1994375View Image

View Image
I had some Zamaldelica cob flying 5 hrs back from the east coat a few years ago I was gripping the seat with white knuckles.

Every time I tried to talk to my wife I burst out laughing, it was impossible not to laugh ha ha.
One part of my brain was saying keep cool man you will get arrested the other half was saying go for it bro ha ha.
I had sun glasses on so nobody could see my eyes ha ha.
I felt like I was traveling faster than the plane and was hanging onto the seat to stop from over taking the plane it was trip man.

Latest posts

Latest posts