What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Are you using a vacuum bag? It has to be vacuumed so that mold will not grow. A few folks have had luck without vacuuming, but they are probably starting with the herb a bit dryer and are wrapping it up very tight.
You dont need a vacuum bag it can be done without of course.
I just find I have a far greater control over the fermenting and can get vastly different results and levels of cure using them.
I did this for years without one so I know it can be done.
I just prefer the knowledge that it will not mold and can be manipulated in ways that are not possible without one.
I spent the whole day yesterday sorting out the buds and preparing lots of experiments.
I should have some good cures in a few months time.
Heres a few 9 week Mulanje buds from yesterday the smell is amazing I just love it so far the fermented smell is now coming out its mind blowing already on some of my earlier cobs.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I sampled some 1 and 2 week aged cobs today and I'm very happy to report sweet flavors and smooth smoke. :)

Tangwena

Veteran
well that was a bust.
wasted from all the mold that developed.
i'll not use fresh undried next time.
Use a vacuum sealer and you will not have any problems as I think we mentioned before.
Heres some vacuum sealed buds and a slice off a cob all are just 5 days from harvest no mold and will not get any either.
2 days dried Mulanje buds
5 days since harvest vac sealed easy as.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
One thing I don't like about the vacuum bags is contact of the buds with the plastic. I really don't like plastic and I don't think there is any doubt that we do not need any more of these molecules in our bodies since we are already exposed to them constantly...so I gave it some thought and I will be vac sealing inside the bag as normal, but I will slip a folded piece of thin parchment paper in there first to make a sort of envelope/liner. I tried it already with a plain bud and it definitely kept the bud from sticking to the plastic when I opened it after the sweat. And it will shrink tightly to the bud as well so no air pockets.

S

Sertaiz

i have heard parchment, also the plastic pulls some resin off the herb... actual cob from corn is the best i have found, and then vac seal that after its been wrapped tightly. also can reuse the vac seal bags, so they can hold on onto some resin for the next batch.(tangs tech) the corncob just pulls right off smoothly though.

i have made some cobs with no vac seal and i always tied them real tight with corncob and string and made sure they were airtight.
-and it is more stressful and limiting, i must say but somehow rewarding for doing it the old way.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
One thing I don't like about the vacuum bags is contact of the buds with the plastic. I really don't like plastic and I don't think there is any doubt that we do not need any more of these molecules in our bodies since we are already exposed to them constantly...so I gave it some thought and I will be vac sealing inside the bag as normal, but I will slip a folded piece of thin parchment paper in there first to make a sort of envelope/liner. I tried it already with a plain bud and it definitely kept the bud from sticking to the plastic when I opened it after the sweat. And it will shrink tightly to the bud as well so no air pockets.

I follow this exact method, of adding a payer of paper between the vacuum bag and the bud, so that the weed is not in direct contact with the plastic bag for the duration of the cure.

I found that over time the paper wicks up some of the moisture that seeps out of the bud during the cure, keeping the weed itself comparatively dry. When I note the paper is getting saturated with resin, I open it up, replace the paper, and re-seal, for uninterrupted curing to proceed.

Tangwena

Veteran
i have heard parchment, also the plastic pulls some resin off the herb... actual cob from corn is the best i have found, and then vac seal that after its been wrapped tightly. also can reuse the vac seal bags, so they can hold on onto some resin for the next batch.(tangs tech) the corncob just pulls right off smoothly though.

i have made some cobs with no vac seal and i always tied them real tight with corncob and string and made sure they were airtight.
-and it is more stressful and limiting, i must say but somehow rewarding for doing it the old way.
I use both but I see the waxy nature of the corn cob prevents the resin sticking to it.
I also like to use the old ways if I can I like the finish in the corn husk.
This last grow I made heaps of cobs all differing slightly in drying or sweating times most were in corn husks only a few in the bags.
I cant wait to check them all out in a couple of weeks time.
Its great to read all the differing techniques from you guys its cool how everyone finds there own personal technique thats how it should be.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I follow this exact method, of adding a payer of paper between the vacuum bag and the bud, so that the weed is not in direct contact with the plastic bag for the duration of the cure.

I found that over time the paper wicks up some of the moisture that seeps out of the bud during the cure, keeping the weed itself comparatively dry. When I note the paper is getting saturated with resin, I open it up, replace the paper, and re-seal, for uninterrupted curing to proceed.

Cool! Yeah, it just makes sense, right? :biggrin:

I made a cob from Green honduras hazesta, straightened out a few bends
6 hours after harvest I made a cob and gave it about 3 hours at 60 degrees, opened the wrap and let it rest in an airy place for a couple of days then I put it in a jar.

Tangwena

Veteran
I made a cob from Green honduras hazesta, straightened out a few bends
6 hours after harvest I made a cob and gave it about 3 hours at 60 degrees, opened the wrap and let it rest in an airy place for a couple of days then I put it in a jar.
Yes i can tell nice looking resin but drying it so soon has halted fermentation.
If you like the result then thats all that counts the green leaves showing will stay green with what you have done.
Next time keep it in the vac bag if you have one and you will see the cure progress and the green change to golden brown.
But like I say if you like the results as is then thats fine as well its nice to try different cures thats for sure.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
I forgot to add that change in the pics above was from 6 to 12 hours sweating note the green leaves, after a week or two in the vac bag they will have lost all the green and be fully cured.
Green indicated a partial cure which is fine some people like to taste a little green leaf in their smoke its just your personal taste some say it adds to the flavor and aroma.

this is only the second time i did these, the first couple of years ago 2 quality indicas didn't come out good.
if it saves me a couple of months i'm trying to eat a little.
from now on at least i sweat all the buds before the cure, i did a little sweating closet for the next crop,when i cut my ghh all tricoms is milky,after 2-3h sweating let it dry be fore but my cure box,look trikom again and all is caramel/honey color :)

cigars have their own brushes with which they remove the accumulation on the surface, what mold they grow I do not know, but burn them and praises the taste.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
looks fresh do you cure it normally now or in a vacum
just make a hole in the middle and smoke it like cigar !

Latest posts

Latest posts