What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
harvest

harvest

These two came down today I could have left them for a couple more days but I have a tight time frame I want these to dry slowly for 3 to 5 days.
We have cooler temps in the high 28c to 31c for the next 5 days so I will need longer to dry them before cobbing.

The colas of both were very heavy and solid green and will take a while to dry.
The lower buds will dry quicker so I need to keep on top of things to get them at the right moisture content.

Tangwena

Veteran
Zamal crosses cobbed by Globule

Zamal crosses cobbed by Globule

These lovely cobs were posted by Globule one of our Kiwi friends.
He reports on opening the bag after a bit of curing the smell was like boiled fruit cake and brandy.
This tells me it has fermented nicely and now just needs to age.

picture.php
picture.php

H

HaHaHashish

I grew Gypsy's Zamal back when they were first released and had great success with them, the best examples (1 in 20 females) was AAA tripping grass. this strain really suited the high humidity, sub tropical conditions around here. I used to say "Zamal" like camel, but a French mate of mine said in Reunion it is pronounced as "Zah-Marl".

The scents from Zamal can vary, but I really liked the examples that had a distinct carrot smell...I wonder how the carrot pheno would be like after cobbing? Unfortunately,I won't be able to tell you as I have none of those seeds or their progeny remaining.

Tangwena

Veteran
I grew Gypsy's Zamal back when they were first released and had great success with them, the best examples (1 in 20 females) was AAA tripping grass. this strain really suited the high humidity, sub tropical conditions around here. I used to say "Zamal" like camel, but a French mate of mine said in Reunion it is pronounced as "Zah-Marl".

The scents from Zamal can vary, but I really liked the examples that had a distinct carrot smell...I wonder how the carrot pheno would be like after cobbing? Unfortunately,I won't be able to tell you as I have none of those seeds or their progeny remaining.
Those were from crosses one MOB x Zamal the other Sour Diesel x Zamal made by Donald Mallard.

I was lucky enough to see the pure Zamal buds before they were cobbed and they had a tea tree oil smell like disinfectant.
The cobs are very strong effect but a little cold for my liking. Like a stone cold killer high
. I spent a lot of time just staring at things not lost in thought just blank ha ha.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
What are those white fibers seen? possibly cellulose?

What were these two (latest harvested) Kalichina x Zamaldelica too? Those nugs look really indica-leaning (and a joy to trim!)... but possibly sativa in effects?

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Tangwena said:
Wise words my friend but getting to the edge of sanity is why I use strong sativas. Other wise whats the point.

I meant for those not wanting to "travel" that far due to lack of experience :)

@stellarjay: some sativa hybrids allow for calm mood and meditation...

In the end it helps a lot to realize cannabis is an auto-hipnotic; everything is coming from your inner-self, and it's a great "tool" to help you connect with it and untangle from your "demons".

As ThaiBliss nailed: Sativas are Medicine for the Mind (and Soul) I'd add.

How you use it, or where do you like your high to bring you, it's absolutely personal in order to provide those positive effects and becoming "medicine".

Tangwena

Veteran
I meant for those not wanting to "travel" that far due to lack of experience :)

In the end it helps a lot to realize cannabis is an auto-hipnotic; everything is coming from your inner-self, and it's a great "tool" to help you connect with it and untangle from your "demons".

As ThaiBliss nailed: Sativas are Medicine for the Mind (and Soul) I'd add.

How you use it, or where do you like your high to bring you, it's absolutely personal in order to provide those positive effects and becoming "medicine".
Everything you said is so true the effects we seek are very personal and individual.

I personally seek freeing my mind and stimulation.
The Indica looking buds you mentioned and the cobs have not been tried yet.
I will leave them 3 months before trying.
The last thing I want is an 8 hr trip of calm meditative thought.
Its what I try to avoid as that is my natural state.
Read lazy and sleepy ha ha.

My friends have found that cobbing Indica hybrids if done properly actually makes them a lot less narcotic and some say better for it.

But this is my first try at it so I dont hold out much hope of them being special in effect first try. It was just some free seeds from Ace. They were not vedged long enough so were very small plants. Not good examples of growing by any means.
The real killer cobs are going to be the Panama and Golden Tiger.

Tangwena

Veteran

What were these two (latest harvested) Kalichina x Zamaldelica too? Those nugs look really indica-leaning (and a joy to trim!)... but possibly sativa in effects?
Quite possibly fibers the plant material breaks down during the cure.
I also dont trim the buds as much as most people I find the sugar leaves add a more complete taste and effect.
The cobs I used to get in Africa always had all the sugar leaves intact so its just something I do to keep them authentic.
Once the cobs have cured and matured they just become one solid stick leaves and all so its also time saving if you have a lot to do.

The last thing I want is an 8 hr trip of calm meditative thought.

same here. sativa's are to get up and go!

yeah, agreed on that first part. have tried many and these sativa hybrids and they have always been a disapointment. and on that second part... while i have no problem with why you would believe this, i view things a bit differently. and perhaps the continuation of that discussion would be better suited for a place other than this thread. if even to be held at all. :tiphat:

Dave Coulier

Veteran

I do believe those are cystolith hairs that you're seeing. Its a common feature of MJ.

Btw Tang, I love those Dog turds you posted up above..err I mean cobs. They look great! :)

H

HaHaHashish

These two came down today I could have left them for a couple more days but I have a tight time frame I want these to dry slowly for 3 to 5 days.
We have cooler temps in the high 28c to 31c for the next 5 days so I will need longer to dry them before cobbing.

The colas of both were very heavy and solid green and will take a while to dry.
The lower buds will dry quicker so I need to keep on top of things to get them at the right moisture content.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75048&pictureid=1808433&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75048&pictureid=1808434&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

90% of the readership is freezing right now and you tell them that around your place it's cooling down to 30C (90F) ..that's cruel man, lol
By the way, quality growing, those buds look perfect in every way. Since it's hot as phuck where you live, do you grow indoors with an AC on 24/7?

Happy cobbing!

Tangwena

Veteran
90% of the readership is freezing right now and you tell them that around your place it's cooling down to 30C (90F) ..that's cruel man, lol
By the way, quality growing, those buds look perfect in every way. Since it's hot as phuck where you live, do you grow indoors with an AC on 24/7?

Happy cobbing!
Ha Ha just rubbing it in my friend boxing day usually hits the 100f or 37c in our scale.
No my friend I grow in a box 1.2m high and 1.2m square in my attic space it regularly gets up to 39c in summer. No AC but good air flow in and out.

Thats why I grow sativas they love the heat.
Our climate is bone dry about 40 to 50% humidity so we dont get much mold only pests like white fly ect.

I always tend to over do the ferts I have never had a grow where I have no tip burn.

But the buds are what I am after and as bag appeal doesn't feature in my list of requirements it doesn't matter. Once they are cobbed the look of the buds is not important any more.

Tangwena

Veteran
I do believe those are cystolith hairs that you're seeing. Its a common feature of MJ.

Btw Tang, I love those Dog turds you posted up above..err I mean cobs. They look great! :)
Because you are such a cool guy I will forgive you the dog turd slur my friend ha ha.
When I travel internationally I always take a section of a cob with me.
I can tell you when I say to people this is some good shit I am correct on so many levels ha ha.
Love your work my friend I follow with spittle drooling from my mouth.
I had an uncle like that if he sat opposite a pretty lady he always had one hand in his trouser pocket and dribbled from the corner of his mouth.
I think its hereditary ha ha at least where your plants are concerned.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Because you are such a cool guy I will forgive you the dog turd slur my friend ha ha.
When I travel internationally I always take a section of a cob with me.
I can tell you when I say to people this is some good shit I am correct on so many levels ha ha.
Love your work my friend I follow with spittle drooling from my mouth.
I had an uncle like that if he sat opposite a pretty lady he always had one hand in his trouser pocket and dribbled from the corner of his mouth.
I think its hereditary ha ha at least where your plants are concerned.

Thanks for the good laughs. :laughing:

Tangwena

Veteran
Reds C5 cure

Reds C5 cure

This is Redeye24/7 cured C5 after sweating and curing and finally semi dried and ready to vac seal and age.
The last pic shows the cured bud very well note the color of the cross section excellent cure there.
After aging for a few months it will be dynamite but could be smoked now.
Click on the last pic for a closer view.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
This is Redeye24/7 cured C5 after sweating and curing and finally semi dried and ready to vac seal and age.
The last pic shows the cured bud very well note the color of the cross section excellent cure there.
After aging for a few months it will be dynamite but could be smoked now.
Click on the last pic for a closer view.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75063&pictureid=1806157View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75063&pictureid=1809238View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75063&pictureid=1809792View Image

Damn those are some nicely done cobs. Those look top shelf. Exceeds any cobs Ive ever made! Although that first photo looks like some road kill I drove by yesterday! :biggrin:

Tangwena

Veteran
Damn those are some nicely done cobs. Those look top shelf. Exceeds any cobs Ive ever made! Although that first photo looks like some road kill I drove by yesterday! :biggrin:
Hi Dave yes Redeye24/7 makes good fermented weed/cobs he has the knack.
Its like jar curing looks easy, but it takes a feel for the process to make truly great cured weed.
If you dont get the timing right at each stage you get average results which work but once you get it right you will see the real deal effects and never go back.
Here is what happened after 20hrs at 40c to Panama cola dried for 3 days at 25c in 50%RH.

picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Panama cobs

Panama cobs

These cobs were made with 3 day dried Panama buds.
Sweated for 20hrs at 40c then dried with a paper towel to remove excess water.
Then re sealed under vacuum to cure for 3 weeks. I will post the results in the New Year when I open them.
In the last pic you can see the beads of perspiration inside the bag.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php