What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

EvergreenState

I opened them this morning and they look good. I wrapped them up again and I'm letting them dry for a few days and then reseal them for a longer cure.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
That looks good be careful drying them they can get mold during the drying if the air is to humid.
Once they have aged you should have a nicely cured cob. You can smoke them now once dried but they get a lot better after one month.
Cant wait for your comparison to the jar cured buds from the same plant.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I made it... read the whole thread (along several days) :dance013:.

Didn't want to miss a thing, and definitely, worth doing :tiphat:

I cannot thank you enough Tangwena for sharing, and caring afterwards, to spread the knowledge with this method.

I cannot stop thinking if humans weren't so curious to try and experiment, we wouldn't have wine, beer, liquors, yogourt, cheese, kimchi... we wouldn't even have bread!

In fact every country seems to have some sort of fermented/cured food between their "typical" and let visitors know/test with pride.

There are fermented recipes for all kind of foods (vegetables, meat, fish...) and beverages, why wouldn't be the same with cannabis?

I love sativas, and specially the effects you describe.

Cannot wait to do some cobs & jar sweat & curing, hopefully by February, just flipped Beyond the Brain, Kalichakra and Krystallica (Mandala Seeds, all Sativa leaning) to 12/12.

Been hearing good things about fellow Spaniards ACE, I will for sure source some Malawi/Panama/Zamaldelica/Golden Tiger in the future!

I am sooooo happy to have found this!

thanks Tangwena! :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
You leave them in the cob to dry right?
I do but you dont have to. I find if I leave them wrapped the skin dries easily and slows the drying of the core.
You cant go wrong from here I would dry them about 50% from what they are now.
Wrap them and vacuum seal them for 3 or 4 weeks after that dry another 50% from what they come out as and you will be safe to rewrap and revacuum for long term storage.
I am trying some Chopper read cob from a friend the seeds were from Southern Star seeds and are very sativa effects I chewed 0.25g and am just starting to get lift off its a great feeling when the effects start to kick in.

Tangwena

Veteran
I made it... read the whole thread (along several days) :dance013:.

Didn't want to miss a thing, and definitely, worth doing :tiphat:

I cannot thank you enough Tangwena for sharing, and caring afterwards, to spread the knowledge with this method.

I cannot stop thinking if humans weren't so curious to try and experiment, we wouldn't have wine, beer, liquors, yogourt, cheese, kimchi... we wouldn't even have bread!

In fact every country seems to have some sort of fermented/cured food between their "typical" and let visitors know/test with pride.

There are fermented recipes for all kind of foods (vegetables, meat, fish...) and beverages, why wouldn't be the same with cannabis?

I love sativas, and specially the effects you describe.

Cannot wait to do some cobs & jar curing, hopefully by February, just flipped Beyond the Brain, Kalichakra and Krystallica (Mandala Seeds, all Sativa leaning) to 12/12.

Been hearing good things about fellow Spaniards ACE, I will for sure source some Malawi/Panama/Zamaldelica/Golden Tiger in the future!

I am sooooo happy to have found this!

thanks Tangwena! :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:
Thank you for the kind words its for people like yourself that I post this info.
Its something I believe in passionately I know it works I just have to be careful how I put it across so as not to attract any negative people.
It was a bit of a struggle in the beginning but enough people have had good results now to keep the negative comments at bay.
Its a life time of practice ahead of you but you will get the results if you use your intuition and feeling you get from growing the plant.

Tangwena

Veteran
Heres a sample of a very good curer by the name of Redeye24/7 he had a flare for this cure from day one. Now he is excelling himself and taking this cure to new heights.
Just about everything he does blows me away.
Note the green bud above the slab in one of the pictures this is what he used to make the sweet smelling sticky slab of goodness.
It is not finished yet and he has re wrapped it to cure further. Using his sense of smell and experience to guide his hand in how much longer each stage in the cure will last.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Tangwena said:
Its something I believe in passionately I know it works I just have to be careful how I put it across so as not to attract any negative people.
It was a bit of a struggle in the beginning but enough people have had good results now to keep the negative comments at bay.
Its a life time of practice ahead of you but you will get the results if you use your intuition and feeling you get from growing the plant.

With all due respect to everybody here (myself included!), human fear is always tied to ignorance. And it's a self-preservation feature, for sure.

Now for those wrinkling their noses, think for a moment:

Human kind from all corners of the planet had fermented foods since the dawn of time for several reasons:

- Preservation: When fridges didn't exist, keeping what you had was key to survive. Cabbage like ferments (like kimchi, sauerkraut) for example allowed vegetables to resist rotting, while keeping C vitamin, something essential to sailors which would die of scurvy otherwise (James Cook...).

- Enhancement: Get rid of toxins and unwanted elements, making it more nutritious and enjoyable, topping it with additional benefitial ingredients. (Probiotics, etc: Youghourt, Cheese, Iberian Ham :biggrin:...)

Both of them fit like a glove here: cobbing adds preservation, and refinement to the final product; being a drug, refinement and changes do not only apply to the smokability, edibility and aroma, but also the high, as just another organoleptic "perception".

Fact: Lactic acid deactivates decomposition/rotting processes.

I'm no biochemist by any means. But from common-sense, and the "sickly sweet" smells people is reporting (pickles, sweet vinegar, sausage or salami-like), I'd say there's heterolactic fermentation going on.

This will make sense, all the clorophyl and carbs from the buds are digested by anaerobic lactic bacteria, generating mainly lactic acid (salami, sausage-like smell) along with formic and acetic acid (pickle-like) which is then in turn either decomposed to gasses (CO2), and ethanol (that "ripe" smell) interacting and creating wonderful byproducts in the process.

I'm just guessing here, but possibly amongst other reactions, ethanol could act as a solvant of other products (terpenes? THC?) and the CO2 gassing / ethanol evaporation possibly transports and homogeinize those byproducts, fixing them to the cellulose remnants.

The fact that old aged cobs feel like "light wood" seems in line with this hypothesis.

Will research this more in depth, but I think that, relating to the refined cobbing method Tangwena advises:

- First stage: Initial Sweat on vacced containers creates the optimal environment for lactic bacteria to colonize and spread, in terms of humidity, lack of oxygen and temperature.

Lactic fermentation is an anaerobic process, so Oxigen is our enemy here.

- Second Stage: 1-2 week "fermentation stabilization". The process is slowed down and stabilized, possibly to allow the most desirable lactic bacteria to stablish and do their process along with chemical reactions; and allows for all this to happen homogeneously on all the matter.

- Third Stage: Drying, Ageing & Cureing. Stop fermentation, and let less desirable byproducts to dissapear. I suspect is here when the CO2/ethanol do their thing.

Tangwena wisely shared how to become a master cobber, by following what all masters in cureing/brewing do: use their senses, observe, and act upon experience.

Even on the most automatized, sensorized and controlled factories, there's always a human being in charge to give the "OK" to any finely fermented product, regularly controlling their cureing and aging by using their senses.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Thats the best description of what happens I have heard.
As the resin does run and pool in the cob, many times friends have commented that the cobs feel oily freshly unwrapped but are covered in crystalised resin once dried.
Also the colors of the resin changes to a lot darker after the aging so spot on my friend thanks for posting that.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Due to divorce I had to stop growing back in 2009, and smoked through my 1+ year old stash (traditional jar curing method) for almost three years, which means I smoked Kali Mist and two different phenos Kalichakra buds, from 1 year old to those being smoked in the end that had been stored (vacuumed mason jars) for 4 years.

From this experience, I learnt any decent sativa needs at least one year aging/curing to reach their best potential, not only in terms of smoothness/flavour, but the clear, creative/thinking, clean, quality high.

1,5gr spliffs from weed that can be found around (Ice cool, Mamba Negra, Nebula and Green Poison were my latests) do me little, at most I get that typical "unripe" bud high that just "resets" my brain, or make you feel just confused, then tired, that's "all" (which still aids me a lot with imsomnia and stopping my speeding brain!).

High rarely lasts more than an hour. 3d spliff from same strain do me absolutely nothing, sleepy, at best.

I'm afraid the fact that "commercial" growers around neither take too much care of the drying, and even less of curing, which is non-existent, hence the crappy effect and bland potency.

I miss a lot those sativa highs. Most memorable one was the first time I tested a De Verdamper back in 2009 (1 year tolerance) with White Shark (own grow shop owner head stash, nothing you could "find" anywhere). Clear, clean, lovely "I'm detached but in charge seeing how I function from a distance" high for 5 to 6 hours, with no dry mouth or eyes, and no burnt landing. (Would love to go back to those highs!).

To make things short, I thought that wonderful effect, that magic cannabis sativa had once on me had been lost and tolerance had the culprit. I thought current , "trendy" weed was an absolute crap which (true to an extent) just made you feel stoney/stupid and help to sleep.

After reading this thread and wrapping my head around it, I'm guessing that

- Weed I have access to rarely has more than a week curing.
- Sativas need a minimum of 6 months, or better, 1 year for a quality high
- How do you take it has a lot of impact on the high: Vaporized, BHO, sublingual, ingested, etc.

My hypothesis is the western traditional method of jar curing is a really, really slow and unneficient process, but with similar variables to cobbing in terms of success: you need the right amount of drying, keeping at least 65% RH content, and keeping an eye on it to control RH. After months or a year of being stored in a jar oxygen is depleted, and a similar process to cobbing takes place, but: at a much slower pace, lower efficiency and possibly only partially.

I think cobbing, or loose buds/jar sweating, optimizes and varies this same process, to be much more effective: the sought after active principles are obtained and matured much sooner (1 1/2 month required for the first cobbed "batch" vs 1 year for traditional jarring!), and their generation and former preservation is maximized.

tangwena said:
As the resin does run and pool in the cob, many times friends have commented that the cobs feel oily freshly unwrapped but are covered in crystalised resin once dried.

This makes me think the vacuum, fermentation and biochemical reactions cobbing produces kind of "digests" all active substances into an stabilized oil that is kept in liquid form, "traveling" due to gassing and capilarity, impregnating all the rest of matter (cellulose remnants, those white fibers that can be spotted on cobs cut through macros).

This is probably where the key for enhanced perceived potency, effects and durability resides.

I say perceived because we as humans tend to look at figures, in order to relate and compare. Same sample effects vary amongst different individuals even of similar tolerances, I'm afraid overall THC content is not the only explanation for high perceived potency, quality or durability, neither terpenes or CBD etc, alone.

Subtle chemistry changes of the same primitive compound can have a dramatic impact on the metabolites generated, and even how do they "travel" and are later absorbed by our brain.

There are the so-called "inhibitors" P-gp and BCRP, which actually pump THC out of your brain once a certain concentration is reached even if they actually transport it to the brain to begin with (remember that re-ocurring "wave" effects?).

Substances to prevent these inhibitors from "pumping out" THC do exist, and could be perfectly the reason for the quality, potency and duration of cobs high, specially when ingested sublingualy.

Couldn't appreciate more the efforts you put to pass on this cobbing tradition Tangwena. Kudos to all those that contributed to experiment & spread this knowledge :tiphat:

For me, there's a new hope... sun will soon shine again for me!

Last edited:
thanks for the good info repuk!

have witnessed life long friends become all caught up with these pretty little nuggets found all around now. seems their current day weed escapades are reminiscent of when we were all 16 years old and going to the liquor store to buy boones farm strawberry hill wine since it was the cheapest they had. in terms of price and quality.

from various experiences on this thread it seems cobbs, when done right, are more like a fine wine. agree also about jar cured sativa flowers becoming better after a year and more of resting. another good reason for making cobbs is that waiting a year or more sucks! lol.

that being said though, there is something invigorating and wonderful about opening a little jar that has been sealed up for a couple years to explore the contents.:biggrin:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Cannot agree more stellarjay!

As tangwena has said, it's about having variety too...

To keep on the analogy, not all fine wines are equal either, let's take Rioja wine for example; it's not the same a "young" wine, a "crianza" or "reserva", all of them can be really fine blending optimally with different foods or situations. (btw any of them blends along with a spliff reaally, really fine :biggrin: )

Same goes with having stash variety not only strain-wise but loosely cobbed buds, cobs, "dry" cured buds, oils, etc...

It's all about variety, and cobbing opens up a plethora of possibilities and varieties on final product.

Personally, will prepare cobs, jar or bag sweated buds, and some "dry jar".

BTW, just bit the bullet and ordered regular zamaldelica, nepal jam, ace tropical mix and got regular violeta as gift... along with two feminized: panama and malawi.

Going to do a grow straight on dirt next spring (really excited, it's my first opportunity doing this) dunno yet if greenhouse or open air.

Will select indoor whose will go there, saw ThaiBliss :tiphat: nepal jams and bangi haze growing outdoors :jawdrop:

Place is really well kept outside prying eyes, my only concern is smell... would love to grow some monsters :biggrin:

remember some nepal jam from about 4-5 years ago. remember taking that first hit and BAM! INSTANT PARANOIA! scared shitless! wished i had eyes in the back of my head so i wouldn't have to keep looking behind me. never had that happen before in 40+ years except that one time. just wanted to be normal again... somebody make it stop! lol. still got a bit somewhere. kinda wonder if it has mellowed out. probably so. been scared of it actually. lol. if that grow were cobbed... no effing thanks! but you know, nothing like some good old dirt to bring out the best. maybe that plant was pissed for growing her in a bucket instead of real dirt. lol. this may sound funny, but wtf! might try asking your plants to hold down the smell if they don't mind and see what happens.

so earlier in this thread there were some discussions about mould and cobbing. since one of the requirements for the presence of nearly all moulds to grow is oxygen... lets say that a few flowers had a bit of mould on their surface. not mould through and through, just a little bit on the surface, and these flowers were cobbed up.

and lets say on the initial sweat these cobbs were vacuum sealed-tightly-instead of placed in a zip lock bags meaning they would be deprived of any more atmospheric oxygen. so existing mould dies off on cobbs with absence of atmospheric oxygen? or mould continues to flourish during sweat regardless of vacuum seal? or mould continues to flourish for a short time and then dies off? or mould continues to flourish for a short time then dies off and devoured during the anaerobic processes that is cobbing? other thoughts?

Tangwena

Veteran
Mate if the nep jam freaked you out stay away from cobs and stick with what you feel happy with. I doesn't get any weaker.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
In my experience, paranoia has more to do with your attitude than anything else, highly cerebral sativas "supercharge" your senses and thoughts, which can get overwhelming if you don't actively "get at the wheel".

Don't be passive, clear sativas can supercharge your imagination, inspiration, meditation or analytic thinking-abilites in awesome ways, but you have to be active and be "in charge" driving the ride.

I have experienced the ocassional dysphoria / panic or paranoia "attack" more than once, specially with creepers due to the high kicking in unadvertedly; in these cases I just laugh myself at it ("come on, you're too old of a stoner, don't be girly, you're high, that's all!") then steer my thoughts possitively.

It helps a lot to be on safe, familiar surroundings first time testing a potent strain known to be cerebral, specially if not having heavy tolerance; start slow and only raise the dose when you feel comfortable. Don't mix with alcohol.

If you get a whitey (happens to me with too indica leaning phenos), I found it helps either to have some sweets, have a nap, take a shower... also taking an aspirin, dunno if due its effects or purely placebo.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Wise words my friend but getting to the edge of sanity is why I use strong sativas. Other wise whats the point.

Mate if the nep jam freaked you out stay away from cobs and stick with what you feel happy with. I doesn't get any weaker.

guess a bit of clarification may be in order. there were several of the nep jam ladies that round and only one individual of the bunch provided said affect. funny how that is the only one left out of the bunch. lol. good on you for looking out for everyone Tangwena! the cobs will be fine.

In my experience, paranoia has more to do with your attitude than anything else, highly cerebral sativas "supercharge" your senses and thoughts, which can get overwhelming if you don't actively "get at the wheel".

Don't be passive, clear sativas can supercharge your imagination, inspiration, meditation or analytic thinking-abilites in awesome ways, but you have to be active and be "in charge" driving the ride.

actually there was a passive state of mind present when the nepjam reared her head. a bit out of body perhaps along with lack of intent before partaking. never thought of it those terms before and it sums up the experience quite nicely. also, didn't experience any of the nepjam as a "clear" sativa high. they were all a bit muddy for my liking.

have always liked the sativa ride much better than the indy ride. and you are correct about being "in charge" while driving the ride. good way to say it. also, meditation and clear sativas do not walk hand in hand over here. more accurately, they seem to oppose one another. lol.

Tangwena

Veteran
KaliChina x Zamaldelica cobs

KaliChina x Zamaldelica cobs

Here are some shots of buds and cobs from the KCZ for short.

The vacuumed and jar cured buds look really young still but if I still smoked I'd roll one up just for the taste and not even light it.
Its very turpy oily but more floral and fruity.

The cobs all smell slightly different more deep dark sweet chocolate and rum. With the most exotic herbs floating on top superb smell to my nose and one I hope to encourage along as they cure.
In 3 months time they could all be little gems never to be reproduced.
After my current grow I need a break to go away and get wiped out in some different surroundings haha.
Todays pics brought to by someone who's just paddled over 5 big ones to get to the flat ocean beyond. Just chilling.

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts