What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
Yeah you have. To watch em. I was going to cob my last batch but life got in the way and i missed my mark. They were good to jar, but i thought to dry to cob. My bad.

Tangwena

Veteran
Yeah you have. To watch em. I was going to cob my last batch but life got in the way and i missed my mark. They were good to jar, but i thought to dry to cob. My bad.

Yes that is a common mistake first time. Its surprising how green you can use them compared to drying them.
Luckily the window for using them is quite broad I prefer them 3 to 4 days slow dried. But I have to watch the process to get them at the right time.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hiya friend, just getting caught up on your thread over here. Looks like you've made some more converts here T! lol

not sure why people scoff at this idea, best curing method I've ever tried. if people keep an open mind, they will be surely rewarded. cob on

Vapedoutdude

What of uv i emmit uv-c on drying/curing buds and it changes the stone,i feel. i want the cbn stone im hoping its somewhat converting the cannabinoid profile it seems to send me into a more ballon head type high wich is what i want but i get so confused i get the effect from all kinds of cannabis indica and sativa? I want clouded mind goggle vison if you know what i mean.

EvergreenState

Check out this resin I got on some pieces of dust and broken cob from cutting it up.
Now I know why I'm so high crazy potent stuff. One shot of the melted golden honey resin all collected by the plant.
The other of the blood red resin I love to see this stuff as well.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75063&pictureid=1804818&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75063&pictureid=1804819&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

I love those photos. Everything looks fully ripened and a finished product.

Tangwena - would it be right to say that if the cobbed bud is initially sealed in a bag on 40C heat for 24 hours and then there's only a tiny bit of moisture in the bag afterwards, that the bud was too dry for successful fermentation/cobbing in the first place? That's what I've found from the limited cobbing experience I've had.

Yes its got to get wet from sweating out the moisture in the buds.
The process causes the loss of moisture and the buds shrivel as if being dried but as they are in a wet environment does allow changes to take place that dont happen if the water is removed by dry air.
The drier buds can be still cured this way but dont change as radicaly as they do when wetter. I prefer a 2 to 3 day dry for my cobs but that depends on how fast they dry.

Hey there HaHaHashish. did the same thing with some chocolope first go around. kind of got the feeling the flowers were too dry as they did like yours and barely got any sweat initially. also became hard as a rock after two week cobb process. i did compress them really hard though in a pvc tube before wrapping.

a week later made another cobb from same plant and didn't let the flowers dry out as much. much more moisture showed up after initial sweat and smelled stronger throughout process. a bit stickier too which is indicative of the jar cured chocolope flowers. also used the pvc compressor tube on second go round.

in another couple months we'll know the difference between jar cured flowers, jar ready flowers made to cobb, and to wet for jar ready flowers made to cobb of the chocolope as results will be shared here.

glad there was enough for a second attempt at cobbing with the chocolope. felt like the first cobb reflected inexperience quite well. lol.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey there HaHaHashish. did the same thing with some chocolope first go around. kind of got the feeling the flowers were too dry as they did like yours and barely got any sweat initially. also became hard as a rock after two week cobb process. i did compress them really hard though in a pvc tube before wrapping.

a week later made another cobb from same plant and didn't let the flowers dry out as much. much more moisture showed up after initial sweat and smelled stronger throughout process. a bit stickier too which is indicative of the jar cured chocolope flowers. also used the pvc compressor tube on second go round.

in another couple months we'll know the difference between jar cured flowers, jar ready flowers made to cobb, and to wet for jar ready flowers made to cobb of the chocolope as results will be shared here.

glad there was enough for a second attempt at cobbing with the chocolope. felt like the first cobb reflected inexperience quite well. lol.
Nice experiment man please post some nice pics of all three when you post your results.
Best of luck my friend big ups to you for giving it a go.

Tangwena

Veteran
I love those photos. Everything looks fully ripened and a finished product.
The resin was cloudy and clear before the cure its the cure that gets the resin this color.
Depending on the temps you use you can get resin from cloudy to honey, amber and even a dark red and burnt amber.
All effect you differently as you would imagine.

The difference is the amber you get from this cure is not narcotic its more clear and mind expanding kind of high very deep and powerful.

This is what you shoot for once you get a handle on this cure with a bit of practice you can dial up a resin color from a plant harvested with clear or cloudy resin.
There is an art to it it does take a bit of practice but if you follow the recipe you will not ruin the buds and stand a chance of getting it spot on first try.

The resin change and the smooth smoking are the main benefits of this cure. The changed resin color is reflected in the clear cerebral high effects from smoking.

Tangwena

Veteran
What of uv i emmit uv-c on drying/curing buds and it changes the stone,i feel. i want the cbn stone im hoping its somewhat converting the cannabinoid profile it seems to send me into a more ballon head type high wich is what i want but i get so confused i get the effect from all kinds of cannabis indica and sativa? I want clouded mind goggle vison if you know what i mean.
I am not sure what you mean but it sounds like more of a stone than a high and for that you need the right strain to start with.

I always want a high that clears my mind and has a long effect.
The effect I like is one that makes me happy, intelligent and able to think things out, all while feeling like I am removed from the world and outside of normal life like a spirit or untouchable.
In other words something that makes you feel euphoric and tripped out in another dimension for as long as possible.

EvergreenState

These two have been sealed for 11 days total and checked at day 7. The smell definitely changed and buds were moist; so I'm pretty sure it's working as you described even though I had to do it differently. I figured if the buds were still moist, I had moist cob material and got the heat up enough to make them sweat, it would still work.
Definitely not to the degree that I'd be able to get if I did it properly, enough though to make difference and get a little taste of what you are talking about. I'm really excited to give it a try.:biggrin:
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
These two have been sealed for 11 days total and checked at day 7. The smell definitely changed and buds were moist; so I'm pretty sure it's working as you described even though I had to do it differently. I figured if the buds were still moist, I had moist cob material and got the heat up enough to make them sweat, it would still work.
Definitely not to the degree that I'd be able to get if I did it properly, enough though to make difference and get a little taste of what you are talking about. I'm really excited to give it a try.:biggrin:
View Image
Nice if you got the sweat fermented smell they will be fermenting the rest is in the lap of the gods.
Thanks for posting they look good from here.
Please post pics when you open them we will be able to tell if the fermentation has taken effect.

EvergreenState

They have been sealed for 11 days. Do you think that is enough or do you think I should keep going before I let them dry for a few days and then reseal for long term curing?

EvergreenState

I was going to wait until the initial cure was done, dry them out for a few days, take a piece to try it out and reseal the rest. I'm not sure 11 days is long enough for the initial cure before drying.

It's plenty bro. You will definitely perceive a positive difference from what you started with. Pinch you off a couple bowl's worth and try it. You may find it difficult to keep from unsealing the bag and sampling more. :tiphat:

Tangwena

Veteran
Ha Ha all good advice my friend yes I would go that way. You will be able to tell when its ripe after a few goes your nose will tell you when to stop.
You guys rock you have the feeling for sure.
I find most good growers get it really quickly.

Tangwena

Veteran
The only way I can describe it is take the essence of the smell that the buds give off prior to the sweat and make it sweeter and ripe like ripe fruit.
To get an idea you have to keep experimenting but the basic recipe of 1 to 2 weeks is good enough to put you in the ball park.
Its something you cant describe in words but you will pick it up very quickly.
Everyone I know who is good at this is addicted to that smell and when you first open the vac bag with a ripe cob or cure you will understand believe me.
Its not hard I could show you but I would have to be in the room with you.