What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legal cash crop???

A few things I buy too much of for way to much money are: Acai Berries, Gogi Berries and Avocadoes. I think it would be good to look into various other medicinal herbs, lol. Stuff like lemonbalm, maca, goldenseal, etc are always overpriced at the health food store. I'm actually pondering having an herb garden alongside my herb garden once I learn a bit more:)

Grow tomatoes, peppers, cilantro. Harvest and make salsa and then sell the salsa. And for you pepper lovers, a habanero pepper ain't shit. Try a bhut jolokia, pure damn fire!

Or, a couple months before the last frost in your area grow as much different vegetable seedlings as you can. If you time it right you can then off all of your seedlings at a garage sale just as spring has sprung.

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 ½ cups chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped green pepper
3 – 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.

Makes 6 pints

i never thought of this, even if i dont sell it. SHIT I LOVE SALSA

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love these. They have a chocolate flavor. I dont know how difficult they are to grow. These are very expensive. If you got the grow dialed in for these you could make al ot of money...

black_truffles.jpg

4oz is 360$ retail..

S

SeaMaiden

I don't think truffles can be actively cultivated, though, can they? I thought that the best you can do is perhaps inoculate an area and hope to find the fruiting bodies later on (with your finely trained pig!).

I'm finding that the specialty lettuces are just too easy to grow, and can't figure out why people are willing to pay $2/lb for them. But, they are! Hello Schedule F.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I don't think truffles can be actively cultivated, though, can they? I thought that the best you can do is perhaps inoculate an area and hope to find the fruiting bodies later on (with your finely trained pig!).

I'm finding that the specialty lettuces are just too easy to grow, and can't figure out why people are willing to pay $2/lb for them. But, they are! Hello Schedule F.

You can buy Oak trees with the spores pre innoculated

http://www.edenproject.com/shop/Truffle-Trees-Oak.aspx

Other spores for other truffles available IIRC..

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran

Comercial mushroom growers on the 'exotic' varieties (Oyster, Shitake, Wood Ear, et al) buy inoculated 'plugs' which are a 'use once and toss' deal.

These spent plugs are available for free and by busting them up (they're made from sawdust & a binder) you use these in your worm bins and compost piles for the massive fungi colonies.

Can't beat free......

There is a company in North Carolina that offers them as well. It has been a few years since I first read about them and the jury was still out if the local soil would approach the quality produced in Europe. Morels, or dry land fish as we call them around here, inspire craziness every spring. The tech for domestic production has been achieved. High end eateries would beat your door down.

Its got to be a niche thing.. think local upscale restaurants. Have your product speak for itself.

You can still play around in hydro without using hid lighting. Maybe look into lower light leaf lettuce or something which can be grown under lower wattage. Savings on ventilation, etc follow.

I'd start scoping out any upscale local restaurants and asking what they could use.. cheaper and fresher. Some hydro basil I bet makes their basil look pretty pathetic... Its just about finding the business that actually cares and will spend an extra buck (or possibly not) to provide their customers a better/fresher product.

...or take it to retail yourself. Start a juice bar/smoothie hut using your own grown.
I would target the highest-end sushi joints with real, locally grown wasabi. Almost everyone uses horseradish that has been dyed and flavored. The real deal is a big deal, and a fine sushi establishment may not be able to source it.

Isn't saffron simply the pistils/stamens of crocus? I can buy crocus at my local nursery all day long, too. Same with poppies (yes, those kind of poppies).

Wasabi. Real wasabi is extremely expensive. Most Americans, myself included, have never tasted real wasabi, what we get is horseradish with some green stuff in it, wasabi-flavored.

Herbs, well grown hydroponically, can net you a decent profit. I personally have found specialty and exotic lettuces/greens to be extremely easy to grow, have almost zero pest issues and because by simply allowing some to go to seed is all that's needed, I don't have to buy new seed every year. Cropping the lettuce quickly gives you microgreens.

I personally don't think any of these plants will require the kind of lighting a flowering plant needs, because you're not asking them to produce flowers, only vegetative, leafy material.
Oops! I didn't read this good post when I posted. I meant to say "Hell ya" to that I guess.:laughing:

I wonder if Saffron would be a cash crop. Its the most expensive spice in the world.

:tumbleweed:

I can't remember the exact producer, but I remember one tin of saffron I used at work (in a past life I worked in a variety of upscale sushi and fine dining places) had a photo of an entire family gathered around a table harvesting flower pistils. The value of saffron lies in the labor involved.

theres a reason saffron cost so much. its a bitch to harvest. wasabi takes a long time and needs the right enviroment. theres a place in oregon growing it large scale. then theres diff grades of wasabi depending on how its grown.i looked into growing it once.

I have got to stop posting before reading an entire thread.

And not directed towards superman, but at truffle cultivation dreams in general, sorry, but those truffles ain't gonna happen hydroponically. Here's the first paragraph from wikipedia's truffle entry:

"A truffle is the fruiting body of a subterranean mushroom; spore dispersal is accomplished through fungivores, animals that eat fungi. Almost all truffles are ectomycorrhizal and are therefore usually found in close association with trees."

It seems the first place to start would be figuring out what trees to cultivate and preparing a future generation to continue your work.

I'm not trying to be a douche or anything, but I really need to get my post count up. How many is it to unlock my PM function?

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
i think the saffron of commerce has to come from quite a high altitude so production is limited.. wasabi is almost impossible to grow the way the japs do it,,

you have to wait a pretty long time for a mini inoculated forest to produce you many truffles,,

mushrooms are becoming worth more money as people catch on to the medicinal benefits as many have been used to "cure" cancer for many many thousands of years..

and in many parts of the world magic truffles are legal and they dont need trees to grow..

certain flowers in certain areas can make good money per stem.. and then for places where peyote arent illegal you can grow thousands and thousands in a greenhouse, they stay small and can generate £10 for every year they grow,, mesculine is one drug where production never gets near to demand..

orchard of fruits and berries and make preserves :yummy:

Latest posts

Latest posts