What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legal cash crop???

S

SeaMaiden

Isn't saffron simply the pistils/stamens of crocus? I can buy crocus at my local nursery all day long, too. Same with poppies (yes, those kind of poppies).
Was wondering if there was a plant that one could grow hydroponically to warrant paying the power bill for 1-2K of lights. I suppose the first thing that comes to mind is orchids or something like that. I understand that you can't profit the same as one would from cannabis but I'm unable to grow MJ atm and still wanna grow hydro. It might seem like I'm chasing rainbows but I'm serious and basically only need to cover power and nutrients. thnx:tiphat:
Wasabi. Real wasabi is extremely expensive. Most Americans, myself included, have never tasted real wasabi, what we get is horseradish with some green stuff in it, wasabi-flavored.

Herbs, well grown hydroponically, can net you a decent profit. I personally have found specialty and exotic lettuces/greens to be extremely easy to grow, have almost zero pest issues and because by simply allowing some to go to seed is all that's needed, I don't have to buy new seed every year. Cropping the lettuce quickly gives you microgreens.

I personally don't think any of these plants will require the kind of lighting a flowering plant needs, because you're not asking them to produce flowers, only vegetative, leafy material.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Wasabi. Real wasabi is extremely expensive. Most Americans, myself included, have never tasted real wasabi, what we get is horseradish with some green stuff in it, wasabi-flavored.
So that's why I had some wasabi peas one time and LOVED them and haven't liked anything "Wasabi" since, including peas... but not of the same mfg. I get it.

Herbs, well grown hydroponically, can net you a decent profit. I personally have found specialty and exotic lettuces/greens to be extremely easy to grow, have almost zero pest issues and because by simply allowing some to go to seed is all that's needed, I don't have to buy new seed every year. Cropping the lettuce quickly gives you microgreens.

I personally don't think any of these plants will require the kind of lighting a flowering plant needs, because you're not asking them to produce flowers, only vegetative, leafy material.

Excellent advice. Lettuce plants are one reason a 1000w HPS is listed by the mfg as covering 8'x8' :D lol

Cash cropping requires marketing skills, packaging to please and customer-service skills.

Remember.... if you start anything new and you're still struggling with the basics after a few months.... you should probably try something else. I CAN grow and it works well for me and is stuff I understand.... Real-Estate is NOT. LOL I know folks that are the complete opposite. :D Pick something you have at least a smidgen of talent in... it will reduce the wounds on your forehead and keep your frustration levels manageable. lol

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Well gormae edible mushrooms :) or tissue culture with orchids sell em for 20 bucks a bottle on eBay and your good to go... But you need some different tools than just a grow light ;) just my 2 euros

the edibles mushroom thing is a fantastically profitable idea

also, microgreens are very high output $ for what ya gotta put in em
not really as profitable to do 'em hydro, but you could still probably come out ahead

think metal shelves with as many layers as possible, light in the center of the room.
since the leaves will turn to the center, they are easier to harvest also.

im just finishing up my first legal biz room, i will post some pics when im finished :)

supermanlives

Veteran
Well gormae edible mushrooms :) or tissue culture with orchids sell em for 20 bucks a bottle on eBay and your good to go... But you need some different tools than just a grow light ;) just my 2 euros
mushrooms dont need hid. i use to grow em in my basement

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Good quality Gojiberries.Plant is easy to grow and with special feed like sea salt you can harvest good quality for the supplement industry.Just a thought.:D

Keep on growing :)

surfiis

legal cash crop

legal cash crop

I wonder if Saffron would be a cash crop. Its the most expensive spice in the world.

:tumbleweed:

S

SeaMaiden

lol did you see that on modern marvels?
No, was there a show on wasabi? I haven't watched MMs for a long time. I learned from my sister, who spent over a decade in Tokyo and several years in Hong Kong, about real wasabi and how Americans have never tasted it unless they've been to Japan. And then I knew a college prof guy who's out in New York state, he was talking about setting up his farm property to grow wasabi because he's got a year-round stream and basically the PERFECT conditions for growing it. He also went on about how most Americans have never had the pleasure of tasting real wasabi.

There are other things I've never tasted that I really want to. Truffles, especially white truffles. Morels, chanterelles, and probably more mushrooms than I've even heard of are another group of items I want to try before I die. And now I can't think of anything else, only mushrooms. I love mushrooms.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I wonder if Saffron would be a cash crop. Its the most expensive spice in the world.

Yes it is, from what I know it is widely cultivated in Spain.

No, was there a show on wasabi? I haven't watched MMs for a long time.

Yes, wasabi was featured in "Modern Marvels - Hot & Spicy", episode aired on Tuesday, Oct 26, 2010 (10/26/2010) at 12:00 PM on History Channel.

supermanlives

Veteran
theres a reason saffron cost so much. its a bitch to harvest. wasabi takes a long time and needs the right enviroment. theres a place in oregon growing it large scale. then theres diff grades of wasabi depending on how its grown.i looked into growing it once.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
mushrooms

gourmet mushrooms sell for big money to local restaurants

oops, guess I should have read the first post first

fresh hydroponic tomatoes, flowers like orchids

Galactic

on the wasabi... i know theres 2 american dudes doin it big in the states here now... they went thru japan and echo the "americans have never had the real deal" thing too...

on the random veggies.... whatever you do KNOW you cannot compete with the big grocers, you have to go guerilla.... organic varieties, heirloom varieties, pesticide-free varieties, hydro grown... feel me? goin mushrooms... go gourmet like the other dude on here and his boy doing the shroom farm... goin tomatoes... go rare varieties, these mugs sell slight premium and you get shit trucks of tomatoes...

good luck... when life hands you shit... grow a legal cash crop lol

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
is it true it takes goji 3 years to show fruit?

Not if you take cuttings from older bushes and plant them :D
Constituents in Goji are very interessant like Zeaxathin, polysaccharides LB-1 etc.The berrie is more than a multivitamin, but everything depends on the soil.

Keep on growing :)

Drift13

Not to be a kill-joy but don't you have to be state licensed to sell food with-in any state And some kind of lic. or approvel from FDA(Food & Drug Amd.) to sell state to state. Years ago I had an old friend that made and sold Jerky. They (State of Ill) made him jump thru all kinds of hoops.

Last edited:
gojis love coco, i had about 80 going at one time under a 150hps.

they grow fast but u must grow them in a very breathable medium, again coco works perfect. they are drought resistant and they will stay standing in bone dry coco for days n days n days, u put them in mud or even a slightly heavy mix and they sit there n dont grow and when u treat them like hydro weed n feed flush they rocket up. check youtube out, fools have em the ground at two years and counting an there only 2 feet tall, u can do that in two months in coco no problem.

they can be 8 by 8ft in two years ive heard......

i plan on growing tens of thousands in my life and selling them for 2-3 dollars a peice and even giving them away.. the leaves are tasty eaten raw so u can eat em as u grow em but the berries do take 2-3 years to show up. as soon as i get my own place ill spend a few bucks on gojis which i like to eat anyways occasionaly and start up my goji business, also gota kola is another interesting plant ive thought of growing. its eaten daily in sri lanka for health and is quite the mind tonic. gojis are in the popular culture already though, its about time the world starts growing real food again, im looking to do my small part.

benjuanman

Veteran
thnx for all the replies guys. I did some different types of chillies in coco under a 400w HPS. Also coz it was summer here I filled up the vegie patch with tomatoes and chillies. Then turned the fruit into chutney/relish and sold them through the local buy swap and sell. Have got about 300 chilli seeds ready to pop now, mainly superhots and will be selling them as seedlings in acouple of mths when its the right season for Oz. Luckily I have been able to start growing mj again but the chilli/tomato thing definately helped with a bit of spare cash the last couple of mths.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
Mushroom Farm is the ticket to your question.
please give this little guys a try they give plenty back to you and our planet... and no one really gives them too much attention :) $$