What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Grow Results: Grams per Watt

Ganja Smile

Soo continuuing my research!!!

ATEMPT #1 to built my own kinda EVOLED - 90 :) 3Wdiodes

---------------------------------------------------------------------

48$ 1.4" x 48" Aluminum Heatsink for 24 LEDs

36$ 24 x 60" lenses (1,5$ each)

48$ = 12 red
20$ = 5 orange
18$ = 5 blue
11$ = 2 green
97$ <ledstogether

68$/32$ 2x dimmable/non dimmable driver

4.50$ 30 pieces of precut wire
5.50$ thermal grease
------
258$ + probably few more dollars if u want to set it in nice coverage

and another thing >>>

if u buy already premade setkits $365.00 some premium stuff
http://www.rapidled.com/48-ultra-premium-led-diy-kit-with-dimmable-drivers/

so from this one kit u can build at least 2 of them i have calculated above ><
a little bit weird... only one thing u need to add is a heatsink = 451$

451$ / 2 = 225$ per a lamp 72W

So i did it :) light looks gourgous! i will put a picture next week so underneath the leds i have :

3 ONYX
5 AK-47
4 lemon haze
23 super automatic sativa

:) will see the results soon
all apart the sas has started flowering so not far away than 3-4 weeks :) boooyaaa :D

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once you understand white leds is the simple (and better) solution you can buy low watt screw bulb leds (think cfls only tons better) and a vanity fixture (or 2, 3...) and create your own DIY cheap.

I bought a handful of CW WW 3-5w leds from www.chinabuyes.com ~ $4-7 each and installed in a Lowes vanity fixture to supplement my 3 yo ufo 90; plus one cfl as I did not get enough WWs

The bulb pic is pre adding the new leds. you can follow my thread to see how cheap (and simple) great results can be

View attachment 186964 View attachment 186965 View attachment 186966

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
petflora, interesting concept and the plants look GREAT man. I can't wait to see more of the white led grow shows this year because it seems that a few different growers are testing out a few spectrums.

PaqueteMan

Hi everyone!

Vukman suggested I post the results of my first grow with LEDs and here I am.

I used two Evo90 v3 pannels. That's 70W x 2 = 140W in total.
I got ten plants (one plant per group of leds). All cutlings from tried and tested mothers, 6 Shiskaberries and 4 Cream Caramels.

On total the plants yielded 125.9 grams (11.37 on average for the Shiskaberries and 14.25 on average for the Cream Caramels).
That makes 0.9 grams per Watt (or almost that) of nicely trimmed bud, no leaves, no sticks.

For more info click the link in my signature.

Cheers!

Awesome thread!!

i now have 12 tabs open and tons to read...

id much rather make my own, but have zero chance sourcing quality here.

if the penetrator X2s were 50% cheaper i'd be using 1-2 by now.

if...

edub30

Hey GP. From all your research and knowledge of LED's, what's the best growing method if plant count wasn't an issue. SOG, SCROG or trees to get optimum yield?

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
Once you understand white leds is the simple (and better) solution you can buy low watt screw bulb leds (think cfls only tons better) and a vanity fixture (or 2, 3...) and create your own DIY cheap.

I bought a handful of CW WW 3-5w leds from www.chinabuyes.com ~ $4-7 each and installed in a Lowes vanity fixture to supplement my 3 yo ufo 90; plus one cfl as I did not get enough WWs

The bulb pic is pre adding the new leds. you can follow my thread to see how cheap (and simple) great results can be

View attachment 186964 View attachment 186965 View attachment 186966

what light spectrum do the cheap white LED's produce?

gonna check out your thread, not sure if the answer is in there or not...

:tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
Hi everyone!

Vukman suggested I post the results of my first grow with LEDs and here I am.

I used two Evo90 v3 pannels. That's 70W x 2 = 140W in total.
I got ten plants (one plant per group of leds). All cutlings from tried and tested mothers, 6 Shiskaberries and 4 Cream Caramels.

On total the plants yielded 125.9 grams (11.37 on average for the Shiskaberries and 14.25 on average for the Cream Caramels).
That makes 0.9 grams per Watt (or almost that) of nicely trimmed bud, no leaves, no sticks.

For more info click the link in my signature.

Cheers!

nice, going to read your thread and you will soon be entered into the table :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
Hey GP. From all your research and knowledge of LED's, what's the best growing method if plant count wasn't an issue. SOG, SCROG or trees to get optimum yield?

research mostly...

there are much more knowledgeable people here and hopefully some of them will jump in and answer you question.

if space and money are not an issue, obviously growing trees with as many arrays as you can put on them is the your best bet for yield...

i would say SOG second and finally SCROG if space is a concern...

however, i have seen some killer yields from SOG and SCROG so it really depends on a lot of variables...

good luck... :tiphat:

edub30

Thanks for the input GP. I'm still in veg but I just got 2ea 336X Pro and was going to do a SCROG but I think I'm going to hold off and do a SOG instead. I'll make sure to post up the results on one of your threads after I do a complete run. I'll be happy with a P per light of quality meds which after reading your threads should be really feasible. But if the quality isn't there, I'll be going back to HPS. I'm willing to sacrifice a little yield switching over to LED's but not quality. Before I purchased LED's I was always under the impression that they didn't have good penetration. But now that I do have them, I've notice that the lights are really intense and had to back them off to 2'. That's what I still don't understand is if the intensity, penetration and light spectrum is there; why isn't the yield there? So my new theory now is its all about wattage. MFG's claim that their LED's are the equivalent of a higher wattage HPS, but I think if you run 1k of LED's vs 1k of HPS that the LED's will rain superior! I've noticed a huge savings already in my electric bill because my AC never kicks on and I don't have to run extra fans to vent the hoods I use to use.
I posted about LED grow room sunglasses in another thread and wanted to mention that method 7 will be releasing glasses specifically for LED grow rooms. Ever since I've been using LED's I've notice my vision getting worse. Especially after I leave my room, my vision is green for a few minutes till it can adjust.
For the record, I'm not affiliated with no one but my brain is racked with LED info overload from all the research I've done before making the LED jump. It is a real big investment and I hope it pays off. One thing I'm scared about is some of the LED bud photos posted, some of the buds look fluffy and are claimed to be dense when they don't look hard and dense. I'm hoping to have dispensary top shelf quality buds. So we will see....

edub30

Didn't really know where to put this post but I have a quick LED question. I have plants (same strain&nutes) vegging under LED's and other under T5's. The ones under the T5's look deep green and healthy. The ones under the LED's has lighter yellowish leaves as if they are having a nutrient deficiency. It's under a HGL 336x pro LED and it almost seems like they are in shock like it is too much light or penetration. Light is 2'-2.5' away. Don't understand but that girls are not liking it. Anyone have experience with this issue?

jcmjrt

Light is 2'-2.5' away. Don't understand but that girls are not liking it. Anyone have experience with this issue?

That seems a little far away to me for the light.

Also, what 1030 said about wet and cold. I had a problem when I first went LED with overwatering because the plants just aren't transpiring like they were under hotter lights...and the plants liked it when I put a heater in the room too.

edub30

Thanks for the input guys. Plants are in a sealed room controlled environment set at 75 and humidity never over 60%. All are in smart pots ebb and flow and on the same feed cycle. I actually purchased nitrogen boost and it is looking better. It's almost like the LED's being a stronger light is causing the plant to photosynthesize more. I just made that up and don't know what I'm really talking about. Maybe something with the spectrum. Who knows. I never had this problem even vegging under a 1k MH or HPS

vukman

Veteran
Thanks for the input guys. Plants are in a sealed room controlled environment set at 75 and humidity never over 60%. All are in smart pots ebb and flow and on the same feed cycle. I actually purchased nitrogen boost and it is looking better. It's almost like the LED's being a stronger light is causing the plant to photosynthesize more. I just made that up and don't know what I'm really talking about. Maybe something with the spectrum. Who knows. I never had this problem even vegging under a 1k MH or HPS

hehe....sometimes making stuff up is okay but........:D

As was mentioned, two to two and a half feet is a little too far. Should really consider bringing that LED panel closer to the canopy for better results..

I wouldn't dare make a guess as to how close you should have the panel since if you look at my thread, you'll see mine are around a foot away. My girls are in flower though as well and I'm trying to max. out the amount of PAR I'm putting on them...

Good Luck

BLOCKER999

it will be a nute def, the plants have more usable light making there needs higher.. it was recommended to me to use 3x the recommended does calmg and 30% more nutes overal.. or the will show signs of def.