What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Grow Results: Grams per Watt

edub30

Once again, Thanks for all the input. I felt like I busted a thread jack and I apologize to GP for that. Just to get back on topic, I did flip and will be doing the entire flower process with LED's so after I harvest I will have another LED grams per watt to help with the study...

Hi there,
I've recently converted over a small 5x14 grow space into LED.
I've got:

two 300W (3W epistar, 8 band) with a predominance of red(courtesy of Ebay); and

PC281649_zpsa561aa25.jpg

two 300W (3W epistar, 6 band) with rougly equal R:B balance for a more purple/uv lightprint 'Medicinal Lighting' units Courtesy of a forum member (Big Sky).

PC281647_zps01d0fe6d.jpg

two second Generation 90W (1W bridgelux 7:1 (r:b), maily a red lightprint.

The plants were vegged under T5 prior to bloom are (1) Goji 'OG' pheno, (1) Goji 'Berry' pheno, (1) 'Garlic and Onions' Clusterfunk pheno,(4) Clusterfunks mainly skunkva dom.

PC281656_zpsc9d5f61e.jpg

Total LEDs by wattage: [(4x300) x 3W] & [(2x90) x 1W].
1,380W Start-up, operational/functioning wattage = 920W.
(total previous wattage the room was pulling is 1,320 operational).
Even if the GPW ratio is similar, I come out ahead on eletricity.
My Ac unit hasn't been doing any work other than what the dehumifidier puts out. An eletrician friend estimated that I'm saving around 1,000W per hour there based on it being a 12,000 BTU.
There is way more space in my grow room without the reflectors and the airflow has improved. I am also not having to power a cooltube fan, of roughly 200 watts per hour.
But even if there wasn't those considerations, the fact is that if this lighting works just as well for only that reason it would be worth it. It's not so much a big deal to live with the constant threat of getting a bad bulb that explodes (none of us actually make the bulbs and they come out of germany and asia), or the fact that ballasts can catch fire and overheat, or even the annoyance of having to change bulb. The fact that you're not having to dispose of gas filled bulbs every 6 months, the impact of it on the environment, is worth it. But the bigger picture will be much brigther than that, I estimate (no pun intended). So here's to hopefully a good grow, having done some research prior.

update to follow;

So far things are going well.

here's some updated pictures from 2-3 days ago when the kush hybrids are in week 5 and the indica's are in week 3;

P1141726_zps08a0dda0.jpg

P1141732_zps94a1939e.jpg

P1141731_zps77bf75ed.jpg

/MNT

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I will start getting some GPW yield results together. I just need to iron out my "perpetual" part of my garden so I can get accurate readings. So far all I can get is my per plant yield results and know how many plants CAN fit under my panels and then ESTIMATE but to me that isn't data worth recording.

Once these seed grown plants get ran through, there will be only keeper clones and I will be doing full panel grows and know my per panel yields. When I post my results I will also post pictures of the running wattage of the panel versus stating I got XXX grams from a 200x3w for example.

The gardens posted in this thread are ROCKING IT btw! I hope to have my name in that GPW list MULTIPLE TIMES by the time I am done rocking these LEDs.

Keep up all the great work everyone and I am sending some positive growers karma out to EVERYONE reading this!

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
I will start getting some GPW yield results together. I just need to iron out my "perpetual" part of my garden so I can get accurate readings. So far all I can get is my per plant yield results and know how many plants CAN fit under my panels and then ESTIMATE but to me that isn't data worth recording.

Once these seed grown plants get ran through, there will be only keeper clones and I will be doing full panel grows and know my per panel yields. When I post my results I will also post pictures of the running wattage of the panel versus stating I got XXX grams from a 200x3w for example.

The gardens posted in this thread are ROCKING IT btw! I hope to have my name in that GPW list MULTIPLE TIMES by the time I am done rocking these LEDs.

Keep up all the great work everyone and I am sending some positive growers karma out to EVERYONE reading this!

look forward to all your figures :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
oneshot gets second add to the OP...

he hammers home a 1.02 GPW total with 504 grams coming from 495 watts !!!

:woohoo:

:respect:

Big Sky

No required pics on a scale as proof of weight?
just a suggestion- that would level the playing field correctly-
someones willing to go through all that trouble one pic or two should be nothing to accomplish eh?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
even harvest pix ~many of these do have pics in their respective threads though

medmaker420

Veteran
No required pics on a scale as proof of weight?
just a suggestion- that would level the playing field correctly-
someones willing to go through all that trouble one pic or two should be nothing to accomplish eh?

totally agree

Pics of the plants dried or drying AND the end meds on a scale should be needed to get listed.

The main reason I never worried about getting "listed" is because mine are per plant currently even though I will be moving to per panel soon enough.

8+ plants getting 2+ zips running less than 400 watts?
I think I can get listed BUT without the pics and overall DRIED NUGS ON THE SCALE I won't be claiming anything ... YET :biggrin:

I have been working on my "led ready" strains and feel that 2013 will be The Aardvarks time to shine damn it lol.

To the rest of the LED HEADS out there, leds do work and grow solid DENSE nugs but remember they need to be FED and seem to need or rather want more than hps grown buds from what I have seen from growing.

Just wanted to toss that out there and also want to send some Positive Growers Karma to YOU ( yeah YOU the one reading this :comfort: )

xeno83

I have my new Pro-Gro LED 180 watt 14 ban light. What is everyones general consensus for LEDs so far. A buddy with 2 of the same lights I have, noticed better resin production, but didn't get the big buds everyone talks about. He told me he thought that it produced a better quality with about 2 ounce per plant with 2 plants, one under each light.

medmaker420

Veteran
2 ounces per plant is what I am shooting for

8+ girls x 2 ounces a piece = alot of meds growing with less than 400 running watts.

I think the yield is there with the right pheno. If he had deficiencies that he normally didn't have while growing under hps then he has some dialing in to do in his garden still.

I think the reduction in temps is a bonus with leds however those with hps and ac units running aren't complaining about the temps either BUT they might be griping about the electricity bill to run those ac's.

Trich production is still up in the air with me. I know I have some uv and ir in some of my panels so that should be beneficial however how much is needed as well as how many hours per day as well as during what portion of the flowering cycle they should be on is still undetermined from what I have read or researched from other led growers.

2013 is the year of the LED!

Big Sky

Trich production is still up in the air with me. I know I have some uv and ir in some of my panels so that should be beneficial however how much is needed as well as how many hours per day as well as during what portion of the flowering cycle they should be on is still undetermined from what I have read or researched from other led growers.

2013 is the year of the LED!

Ive noticed an increase in tric production-

IR..
From my research, it comes like yours , conflicting conclusions on many factors-
What it does exactly-
How much to use-

From all my understanding taking many test results from universities, labs etc and published private studies.
Ive come to my own conclusions on IR-
The sun, outdoors produces levels of IR year round as well as Ultraviolet-
But our plants, like most, only use it for particular reasons-
The IR is a penetration light as higher leaves and tree tops do not use it very much and it passes through the leaves rather then being absorbed.
This allows for lower canopy growth and new seedlings to form in a canopy forest for example-
The infrared wavelengths penetrate all the way down to a soil or base level-
Thus giving enough light energy to sprout that new tree in the canopy below-
It also gives plants a sense of awareness-
The best way I came to understand this was to compare how plants space themselves naturally in the wild and how the fuzz uses FLIR on us growers-
Think of it like the plants FLIR-
This is whats giving them the sense of awareness to not only space themselves out but plants in a group will choke out the smaller ones in between to create this natural spacing-

Now some say the Use of IR helps to promote a faster flowering time and floral growth-
This has only small supporting evidence considering outdoors a plant does receive IR year round but still only uses certain low level amounts throughout its life-
The winter solace does bring a more intense light with a higher red value to it- Its only logical to assume that the IR and UV is also present in more abundance as well-But we know our plants only use very low amounts of IR and tend to like the FAR red which I personally think is the precursor to the flowering phase over actual IR around the 740 nm + wavelength range -
From what im seeing far red is the dominate spectrum being used in all high end LED panels and small amounts of UV and IR LEDs are being placed along the PCB- Just enough to curve the overall spectrum and match HID-

Ultraviolet is incorporated in small amounts on high end LED panels- I use about 4-6 Ultraviolet per panel - so its there but not enough t o cause any potential harm-
Its used to promote UVB in cannabis growth to increase overall potency and raise THC levels in our plants-
As tric's are not really a measure of the chemical compounds that make up marijuana's potency-
They are more of a sun tan oil and pest resistance defense mechanism much like you see in honeydew and carnivorous species of plants-
Its a hard thing to crawl through a massive forest of icky stick trics ;)
But these trics do contain a lot of potency etc..but not entirely what makes up a plants potency-
Uv is present in HID but most of it is filtered though the glass as is a lot of other wavelengths-

so i use about the same # of IR and UV chips per panel-
Just a dash.
More then you would receive from HID ..
much like a T5 UV..
Not enough to be harmful but yet very beneficial-

medmaker420

Veteran
I have my new Pro-Gro LED 180 watt 14 ban light. What is everyones general consensus for LEDs so far. A buddy with 2 of the same lights I have, noticed better resin production, but didn't get the big buds everyone talks about. He told me he thought that it produced a better quality with about 2 ounce per plant with 2 plants, one under each light.

2 ounce plants is exactly what I think LEDs are great at doing. Now with more veg and more room for their roots, they of course can do more BUT I really think leds perform great with smaller sog style grows or a scrog style versus big bushes.

I am happy with the leds overall but I still love my quantums

GP73LPC

Veteran
defski knocks down .67 gpw with 135 watt of evo led arrays producing 90 grams...

congrats :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
Is it realistic to use a solar system to provide most of the power for LED growlights?

of course you can. if your solar system is powerful enough you can run your entire house, a/c's and all.

however, with that said, here is a thread where Big Sky has done just what you are asking.

FREE ENERGY GROWING

:woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts