What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Laughing cannabis?

justinmendez

Decades ago, somewhere between 1987 and 1990 *although I grew my own) I used to buy or swap cannabis from other growers so I had a choice of genetics. I bought some cannabis from a friend of my wifes. This stuff was quite unique in that the effect made you feel incredibly euphoric and you'd basically be laughing for the best part of a couple of hours. This happened every time you'd smoke it so was not the set or setting, nor was it due to lack of tolerance as back then I was smoking all day every day. Anyway I grew a plant as there were a few seeds in it. The plant was a complete hermie but I persisted as the effect was so good. Sadly it got stolen. My wife and I split and I could no longer get hold of it.

I suspect this may have been Thai in origin, but really have no idea. I have wanted cannabis like this ever since but nothing I have grown comes even close to it. I even bought Laughing Buddha (against my better judgement) but there were no such effects.

Does anyone have this experience or know of a variety, or even region where this may have come from? The important part; is there anything around today like this?
Finding a strain exactly like the one you had decades ago may be difficult, but exploring Sativa-dominant strains known for uplifting effects or strains high in limonene terpene could potentially provide similar experiences. Connect with local dispensaries or cannabis communities for recommendations. While an exact match may be elusive, there are countless unique strains available today that can bring joy and laughter. Good luck with your search!

Artistick Seeds

Hello, for me, there are two varieties that make me laugh a lot, Malawi from ACE and Durban Poison from Dutch Passion.

I think everyone’s sensitivity is different, the state of mind at the time of consuming, the people with whom we are.

So it is likely that what works for me, does not necessarily work for you.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Old clone that was around R-dam before 15 years or so "bubbelicious" was very happy and giggly weed.
I remember it like that.

hfm

Flora De Risibile we are working is extremely happy cannabis.I use it medically for my own issues.No tolerance breaks,everytime the same effect.Great to make hash with,super happy vibes without having to smoke all the time.Some acrid smells with a super creamy mouth coat all the way to the end.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Interesting that there's a lot of diverse varieties that can have this effect.

I'm surprised that C99 is one of them. I've only grown a few but they were underwhelming to say the least. @Lester Beans, did you have to grow out hundreds to find that one; #137? I am not in a position to grow that number of anything. Still very much illegal where I am. Malwai is looking like a good option to me but I might look at other suggestions too.

Just to make a point that some are missing; laughing weed has zero to do with set and setting, or tolerance. I am talking of weed that does this consistently no matter the person or the environment.
I'm not sure a strain can have the same effect on every person, we all have a specific brain chemistry so we will react differently to the same stimuli.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Ethiopian x Congo made me laugh my ass off, this was really fun. A very rare effect. Damned, I like it.
It was a private gift. Both came from ACE seeds
Sounds great! I have both of those strains separately so maybe I should do a cross? It does not surprise me in the least that laughter is found in African strains.

Lolo94

Best and most intense laughing weed I ever had was from Northwestern Thailand. I wrote about it on another post, but I'll repeat it here. I had the opportunity to smoke with some Akha hill tribal elders in a remote area bordering the Burmese border (multi day trek Northwesterly of Chiang Rai). Myself and 3 other travelers went on a guided trek to reach the area in 2000. It wasn't bud, but was more of a hash or putty like consistency that was stored in a corn husk. We smoked out of a bamboo pipe that was passed around and shared with the elders. I was the lucky one to be invited in the group for the nightly meeting. The effects were intense laughter interspersed with paranoia. The paranoia was definitely situation based. We were told to put our shoes inside the huts, just in case the Burmese soldiers came accross the border. The border there is totally open. The elders mentioned that the only sign of the border were bent over bamboo plants tied to the ground. The high kept me up most of the night (as well as the other 3 who were in the hut trying to sleep). I basically was laying down laughing to myself alternating with the occasional bout of paranoia. My laughter seemed to agitate the village pigs that lived below the elevated hut and their snorting and grunting only added to the intensity. When we left in the morning, I was given a bag of seeds by one of the elders. They were the biggest pot seeds I'd ever seen. The seeds made it back to Chiang Rai, but after multiple stops (with the army boarding the bus) between there and Chiang Mai I got paranoid and got rid of them. At that point, I was a heavy smoker and grower that had sampled many great Hawaiian strains that I and other friends grew. Nothing, even the Thai I grew once in Hawaii or other strains I sampled from friends produced this intense laughing effect. If it wasn't for the good and smooth taste, I would of suspected that mushrooms were also mixed in the husk. I've had similar laughing experiences with mushrooms (thankfully never paranoia), but never with other weed.

I Care

Best and most intense laughing weed I ever had was from Northwestern Thailand. I wrote about it on another post, but I'll repeat it here. I had the opportunity to smoke with some Akha hill tribal elders in a remote area bordering the Burmese border (multi day trek Northwesterly of Chiang Rai). Myself and 3 other travelers went on a guided trek to reach the area in 2000. It wasn't bud, but was more of a hash or putty like consistency that was stored in a corn husk. We smoked out of a bamboo pipe that was passed around and shared with the elders. I was the lucky one to be invited in the group for the nightly meeting. The effects were intense laughter interspersed with paranoia. The paranoia was definitely situation based. We were told to put our shoes inside the huts, just in case the Burmese soldiers came accross the border. The border there is totally open. The elders mentioned that the only sign of the border were bent over bamboo plants tied to the ground. The high kept me up most of the night (as well as the other 3 who were in the hut trying to sleep). I basically was laying down laughing to myself alternating with the occasional bout of paranoia. My laughter seemed to agitate the village pigs that lived below the elevated hut and their snorting and grunting only added to the intensity. When we left in the morning, I was given a bag of seeds by one of the elders. They were the biggest pot seeds I'd ever seen. The seeds made it back to Chiang Rai, but after multiple stops (with the army boarding the bus) between there and Chiang Mai I got paranoid and got rid of them. At that point, I was a heavy smoker and grower that had sampled many great Hawaiian strains that I and other friends grew. Nothing, even the Thai I grew once in Hawaii or other strains I sampled from friends produced this intense laughing effect. If it wasn't for the good and smooth taste, I would of suspected that mushrooms were also mixed in the husk. I've had similar laughing experiences with mushrooms (thankfully never paranoia), but never with other weed.

I just had this guy at work the other other day; he was telling me that some old Thai would be soaked up with opium. He might have been speculating but he was old enough to have been involved in the trade. He was built like a sniper.

Last edited:

NEED 4 SEED

You don't get effects from smoking shrooms...I know this cause I've tested it.

I Care

Haha, not even an half dozen or so little aborts will do anything if you smoke them. Half dozen aborts would make ya a little high if you ate them. No good reason to waste them in a pipe. I only speak for myself on that though cause people have told me that they smoke their mushrooms. Because they get sick eating them.

I think we were all just messed up youth though. Probably mix smoking mushrooms with a lack of sleep, lacking general sobriety and poor nutrition may contribute whatever feelings they felt smoking mushrooms.

Lolo94

You don't get effects from smoking shrooms...I know this cause I've tested it.
I've never actually smoked mushrooms. Comment was just for the purpose of describing the high. I could barely stomach them never mind smoke them. Mixed with Peanut butter, then washed down with milk was my favorite method of ingestion.

mr.brunch

Veteran
We used to dry the mushrooms, (liberty cap) boil them for a few minutes, strain them with a tea strainer then make sweet coffee with the water…. Incredibly fast acting and less disgusting mushroom taste.

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Around '81 or so my buddy would clean out the dregs of his older brother's stash drawer.. man, that stuff would have us laughing uncontrollably.. my best guess it was some South American variety.