What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Laughing cannabis?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Decades ago, somewhere between 1987 and 1990 *although I grew my own) I used to buy or swap cannabis from other growers so I had a choice of genetics. I bought some cannabis from a friend of my wifes. This stuff was quite unique in that the effect made you feel incredibly euphoric and you'd basically be laughing for the best part of a couple of hours. This happened every time you'd smoke it so was not the set or setting, nor was it due to lack of tolerance as back then I was smoking all day every day. Anyway I grew a plant as there were a few seeds in it. The plant was a complete hermie but I persisted as the effect was so good. Sadly it got stolen. My wife and I split and I could no longer get hold of it.

I suspect this may have been Thai in origin, but really have no idea. I have wanted cannabis like this ever since but nothing I have grown comes even close to it. I even bought Laughing Buddha (against my better judgement) but there were no such effects.

Does anyone have this experience or know of a variety, or even region where this may have come from? The important part; is there anything around today like this?

kro-magnon

Veteran
Around 96-98 in France I had access to weed grown outdoor in the south of France who would make me laugh almost every time I was smoking it, it was a Thai adapted to the local weather/terroir after a few years of inbreeding. It was grown by the daughter of a thai familly who had bring seeds with her after vacation in her family in a village in Thailand, it was really one of the only weed who had this specific effect every time I was smoking it. I had not yet a huge tolerance to weed because I was more used to smoke haschich but I started to smoke indoor grown dutch strains at this same time but no one had this laughing effect.
I lost contact with this girl and I have never find something similar, good luck in your search.

Dirtynugs

Its not Thai , best I can tell. As the stuff that looked Thai would peel your eyelids open, but not induce the uncontrollable laughing. The stuff that induced the laughing also made shy people extremely sociable. My girlfriend who wouldnt even order her own food as mcdonalds would wonder around parties talking to every stranger when we got a bag of that stuff. People would ask what drugs you were on, and be in total confusment when you proclaimed "cannabis sativa".

Ive started growing landrace type stuff again. I'll let ICmag know if I find it. Unlike most who would start a new brand because they have no other talent or abilities than to steal or resell. I dont need to horde the genetics that were commonly available and grown by every old timer in my town:

You had weed that would make you disfunctional, not sleepy or "faded", but like a computer error. you could fall asleep standing up with your arms outstretched, repeating phrases in your sleep. Not the couchlock purp or groggy hydroponic store weed people know today.

You had weed that got you high, like you had smoked every drug on earth combined. Shrooms and cocaine had a baby type of weed. I had access to this cannabis as late as 2014, and people would routinley ask if it was laced. I let those seeds go with prmises that I was a hillbilly dumbfuck bitch and that cali had far superior cannabis. That was a god damned lie. I hope the birds enjoyed the thousands of amazing seeds i dumped in my back yard before moving out west, because no one else got to experience that cannabis since i fell for the Cali lie, as many did.

And you had the laughing weed. Where people who were not high would be bumfuzzled by your enthusiasm and inability to stop laughing. The energy and confidence and stage presence was unmatched. You could become a standup comedian on a whim if you had this cannabis. You could be the wolf of wallstreet. You could make love all night, and wake up every hour to do it again. You could do a frame off restoration on a classic car, work a full time job, be a single parent, write multiple movie scripts, produce records for multiple musicians, and still have time to make love all day and run 3 side businesses off of this Cannabis, and be laughing the entire time. even in your sleep. It was superman weed.

istockphoto-511515870-612x612.jpg

I too, want the latter, but would take any of the 3 categories over what you find today, the "dumbweed". So far all the Ace seeds I've started grow faster and need less N, less Ca, an more PKB than the dumbweed Ive been wasting my time on the past 15 years. It really makes me wonder if the gene pool wasnt accidentaly shifted towards garbage that could tolerate high levels of calnit. There's no reason to breed shitty weed ,then market it as the preferred pinnacle of Cannabis, like has been done by the Cali boys. Old school cannabis marketed itself, no one had to pretend it was good just because it was pretty and accepted by the lowest common denominator of the low iq groupthink internet era.

Popey

Veteran
Hi Chi! :) You probably don't remember, but we wrote in a private conversation on this topic a year ago. Unfortunately, I didn't grow this "Sativa Dream" aka LOL from Kannabia Seeds (the description of the breeder says that it causes a lot of laughter), because I do not trust the breeder completely.

However, I bought an Ethiopian from Ace. I will sow it only after the holidays. You wrote that you growed this strain and almost met your expectations but it was weak. Many people describe this strain similarly: "uplifting, positive, happy".
Another strain that is worth interest is Congo from ACE (green phenotype). You also growed this strain :) However, this is not a strong strain.

What connects both strains? Less strength than the average. I am convinced that the strain that will cause well -being, laughter, without bad effects: quick heartbeat, paranoia must have weaker power. It doesn't have to be 100% sativa but sativa must be an advantage.
I think that these strains can be used to cross with others to slightly raise their power and keep a nice high. In autumn, I want to make a cross Congo or Ethiopian x Amnesia Haze RQS or some medium -power hybrids: Bubblegum from Serious Seeds or C'99 from Female Seeds.

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Its not Thai , best I can tell. As the stuff that looked Thai would peel your eyelids open, but not induce the uncontrollable laughing. The stuff that induced the laughing also made shy people extremely sociable. My girlfriend who wouldnt even order her own food as mcdonalds would wonder around parties talking to every stranger when we got a bag of that stuff. People would ask what drugs you were on, and be in total confusment when you proclaimed "cannabis sativa".

Ive started growing landrace type stuff again. I'll let ICmag know if I find it. Unlike most who would start a new brand because they have no other talent or abilities than to steal or resell. I dont need to horde the genetics that were commonly available and grown by every old timer in my town:

You had weed that would make you disfunctional, not sleepy or "faded", but like a computer error. you could fall asleep standing up with your arms outstretched, repeating phrases in your sleep. Not the couchlock purp or groggy hydroponic store weed people know today.

You had weed that got you high, like you had smoked every drug on earth combined. Shrooms and cocaine had a baby type of weed. I had access to this cannabis as late as 2014, and people would routinley ask if it was laced. I let those seeds go with prmises that I was a hillbilly dumbfuck bitch and that cali had far superior cannabis. That was a god damned lie. I hope the birds enjoyed the thousands of amazing seeds i dumped in my back yard before moving out west, because no one else got to experience that cannabis since i fell for the Cali lie, as many did.

And you had the laughing weed. Where people who were not high would be bumfuzzled by your enthusiasm and inability to stop laughing. The energy and confidence and stage presence was unmatched. You could become a standup comedian on a whim if you had this cannabis. You could be the wolf of wallstreet. You could make love all night, and wake up every hour to do it again. You could do a frame off restoration on a classic car, work a full time job, be a single parent, write multiple movie scripts, produce records for multiple musicians, and still have time to make love all day and run 3 side businesses off of this Cannabis, and be laughing the entire time. even in your sleep. It was superman weed.

View attachment 18821381

I too, want the latter, but would take any of the 3 categories over what you find today, the "dumbweed". So far all the Ace seeds I've started grow faster and need less N, less Ca, an more PKB than the dumbweed Ive been wasting my time on the past 15 years. It really makes me wonder if the gene pool wasnt accidentaly shifted towards garbage that could tolerate high levels of calnit. There's no reason to breed shitty weed ,then market it as the preferred pinnacle of Cannabis, like has been done by the Cali boys. Old school cannabis marketed itself, no one had to pretend it was good just because it was pretty and accepted by the lowest common denominator of the low iq groupthink internet era.
Did you read my post ? How can you tell that's not thai when the seeds were coming directly from a rural area in Thailand. There is different types of thai strains who will have different effects, claiming all the weed from a whole country will only have a certain type of high is absurd.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I'm not discounting that it might be Thai in origin. Thai stick it certainly wasn't, but Thailand is a big country. I am pretty certain it is a sativa. I also have to say that I had other laughing types but this was an altogether other level. Really hijacked the mood in the best way.

Interesting, @cro-magnon. Thai or SE Asian to me is the most likely possibility despite what others say. I live in Australia and just the proximity suggests Asian. But we did get cannabis from all over the world so anything is possible?

@Popey, no I hadn't forgotten but I did have a quick read back. Both the Ethiopian and Congo were great; the Ethiopian particularly unique (not strong but motivational, happy, uplifting), but still not what this laughing high was. I don't think I could recreate this high with either of those strains, although both would possibly shine in crosses, I suspect. African genetics might be a possibility though.

@Dirtynugs, as I said I am not convinced it wasn't Thai, but you know what you are talking about regarding the laughter and mood effect. This effect was so good. What the hell happened that you can't get this, yet can easily get a boring couch lock narcotic strain?

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

These laughter inducing uppy weeds take a lot longer to flower, are harder to grow and generally yield less than the typical 8week corn on the cob looking kush.

Many consumers, producers and others like supplying this 8week numbing mogadon weed.

It's a minority that want mind expanding weed and most of the people who want it are trying to grow it :love:

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Nice one that weed came out of the Black and White cafe in St Paul’s Bristol, late 70’s to late 80’s. We also chuffed a lot of Columbian Gold that was grown on the Islands and bricked up, by the time it got here it was well cured too. Happy days and lots of laughter.

Cerathule

I've had laughing for no apparent reasons, or grinning, from OG Chocolate Thai x Cannalope Haze. It's also an euphoric, motivational and cleansocial high, as opposed to hallucinogenic or paranoidic sativa highs. The rush would totally defeat any tiredness and make me just very positive and talkative, and will end with appetizing and when taken many heads, end in a sleep after a few hours.

exoticrobotic

that weed came out of the Black and White cafe in St Paul’s Bristol, late 70’s to late 80’s.

Could well have got it from there too. It was 1989/1990 and for a few months throughout the summer there was lots of it around.

Do you know more about its country of origin? I have fond memories of smoking it and playing pool in the local pubs.

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

It was very popular then dissappeared as quickly as it arrived.

The dealer used to bring 2kg to the pub all wrapped in clingfilm ounces.

You had to get there early. It was all gone in 10 minutes.

Last edited:

X15

Laughing medicine is the best. I grew some dream queen i got from a local dispo. Decided to grow it in my veggie garden and it was about 20 inches from some oregano growing on one side and some catnip on the other. When I harvested it had a very unique smell, as If it took on some of the oregano and catnip and other things. After drying it smelled damn near exactly like a heavy oregano/ garlic pizza. It was very intense. (All my friends said gmo, maybe it was lol)…
But the terps this plant produced were nothing like I’ve ever had in 20+ years of burnin. My girl and I tried some out and within 20-30 mins we were both laughing uncontrollably, it was fuckin Awesome lol. Like gut bustin, eye Watering laughing.
So I brought some to the morning work safety meeting and after some we were all laughing, everything was hilarious lol. These buds were huge mood lifters!
I have more Seeds and will be giving her another go, but that plant was a unique experience. Hard to say if the surrounding plants had any effect on the laughing part… but something in me tells me the Environment it grew in might have helped create something special.
This summer one of my goals is to grow the same stuff I have before but with dif companion plants around them, sharing root space… see what comes of it.
what a special thing it is to laugh uncontrollably, haha

After drying it smelled damn near exactly like a heavy oregano/ garlic pizza. It was very intense. (All my friends said gmo, maybe it was lol)…
only bud ive ever come across in Netherlands that really smelled like garlic to me was Casey Jones

Reactions: X15

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
don’t think I’ve ever experienced any specific marijuana that distinctly induces fits of laughter I can say that when I first started getting high as a kid generally speaking I would have hysterical fits couldn’t get off the ground my ribs hurt from laughing