What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Laughing cannabis?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The problem is still the same. You are old and don't want to feel old. Get over it...😄 just kidding. But don't underestimate set and setting.
I made an effort in my first post to outline that it wasn't set and setting. At the time I was about 30, had been smoking since age 14. I was smoking from the time I woke up until I went to sleep. I grew my own and had access to many different varieties, mostly sativas but also hash and oils. I sought out quality cannabis. Quality was very important to me at the time, and still is.

If it was set and setting why didn't other varieties I was smoking do the same thing? How come this had this effect every single time, not only on me but others who smoked her, mainly my wife. It did the same in different settings. I had access to this over several months so used it maybe a hundred times. It was not a one off smoke in some exotic temple, but stuff I used a lot of the time.

I am getting old but I maintain that really good cannabis is nothing to do with set and setting.

LostTribe

Premium user
Nice one that weed came out of the Black and White cafe in St Paul’s Bristol, late 70’s to late 80’s. We also chuffed a lot of Columbian Gold that was grown on the Islands and bricked up, by the time it got here it was well cured too. Happy days and lots of laughter.
We had some light green nearly seedless sticky brick supposedly from Columbia that gave uncontrollable laughter. I would love to get a hold of some of those seeds.

Dime

Hmmm, I haven't had the right one then. I really never understood what people saw in c99. Didn't rate as a sativa with me, but I'll concede I probably haven't had a good representation.
For me it can be top shelf,but you find some that hit hard but have short duration,I have never had burn out from it though which I mostly associate with Indica,always exceptions either way,but even when I screw up and have poor grows,it's good. I've grown a lot of it searching for the one,maybe one day..I have found under led they get broader leaves and stay compact,not sure if I like that ,it's happening with other strains I have grown before too but I haven't flowered any under led to compare quality and it's nice to keep them short for manageability.These are under led for the coming spring.

Attachments

• 20230320_205508.jpg
    20230320_205508.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34

mr.brunch

Veteran
It’s possibly the relentless quest for thc percentage that has changed the feel of so many strains.
After all if thc only was what makes it good we’d all be smoking hash and oil.
I seem to remember @Sam_Skunkman posting that he smoked pure thc and it was a boring high.
Surely pushing the plant higher and higher in thc levels sacrifices other compounds?

RobFromTX

It’s possibly the relentless quest for thc percentage that has changed the feel of so many strains.
I seem to remember @Sam_Skunkman posting that he smoked pure thc and it was a boring high.
Surely pushing the plant higher and higher in thc levels sacrifices other compounds?
So true, always more thc. In a few years it will look like freakin rock candy

zaprjaques

In my opinion its the plant chemistry plus the brain chemistry.
So if CBG is the mother of all cannabinoids and gets converted to other cannabinoids, genetics will tell in which ratios, and apparently theres a method to it and the ratios are interlinked to each other, also terpenes are cannabinoids right?.
the brain and its chemistry i think are always evolving and developing aswell.

so my conclusion is, the cannabinoid ratios and brain chemistry have to line up in a way as to get a constant and repeatable effect.
yes a super bad or super good setting might fuck with it and spike out, but i'm referring to something like a baseline brain chemistry like when youre doing regular workout or on the other hand work only night shifts etc.
also certain life events have a profound effect on how we see things, might change our perspectives and the way we think, which in return will change brain chemistry.

additionally to the quest of locking down cannabis genetics which is a really tough job and lets face it, even clones will express differently under different growing conditions, we could/should take also in account our own brains.
like through meditation or something.

i remember that bodhi Interview on the potcast where he says hes hyper sensitive to cannabis usually, but when he's trekking in the himalayas he can smoke all day.

pretty cool that your laughing grass had similar effects for other people too.

edit: i once had a cultivar that was like smoking pure fear, no matter what set and setting i would always end up in the same mental state more or less.
that was 15 years ago and i sampled it over a duration of many years and in different situations and dosages before giving it all away cause it would always have that constant effect.

with other plants for me it was really depending on set and setting and there was great times to be had.

Last edited:

X15

only bud ive ever come across in Netherlands that really smelled like garlic to me was Casey Jones
Yeah this smell is a confusing one lol. It’s great public smoke imo bc it doesn’t have that dank ganja give away smell. I let it go about 11-12 weeks.

early_bird

Veteran
Nice topic, i had the same experience, yeeeears back a friend brought this "laughing cannabis" it was a mindblowing, awesome experience, we was just running arround in nature an laughing our ass off.
Never had this again.
So i went on a Journey of grows and reading threads like this in the internet to find this again.

I´m still searching, popping come Durban from Cannabiogen next month, but also have found some strains which come at least close and work great for me.
- 8 Miles High from Mandala Seeds.
Awesome high, don´t remember so much of "forced"-laughing but a lot of this mood-elevating, uplifting, non-racy, "like to move" vibe without any couchlook.

- Purple Haze x Malawi from ACE Seeds
Goes more in the funny direction, very pleasant and awesome high and had some situations where i was just laughing for more than a hour. Definitly not a bad choice, i think this is where i got somewhat close to what i had years back.

2 People mentioned C99 here. For me C99 ist just uplifting and racy, it doesn´t feels always so pleasant, to paranoid, misses the "feel good" factor. I´m wouldn´t grow it again.

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Nice topic, i had the same experience, yeeeears back a friend brought this "laughing cannabis" it was a mindblowing, awesome experience, we was just running arround in nature an laughing our ass off.
Never had this again.
So i went on a Journey of grows and reading threads like this in the internet to find this again.

I´m still searching, popping come Durban from Cannabiogen next month, but also have found some strains which come at least close and work great for me.
- 8 Miles High from Mandala Seeds.
Awesome high, don´t remember so much of "forced"-laughing but a lot of this mood-elevating, uplifting, non-racy, "like to move" vibe without any couchlook.

- Purple Haze x Malawi from ACE Seeds
Goes more in the funny direction, very pleasant and awesome high and had some situations where i was just laughing for more than a hour. Definitly not a bad choice, i think this is where i got somewhat close to what i had years back.

2 People mentioned C99 here. For me C99 ist just uplifting and racy, it doesn´t feels always so pleasant, to paranoid, misses the "feel good" factor. I´m wouldn´t grow it again.
Thanks for the suggestions, and glad I am not the only one to experience that high.

I have tried some Durban in the past but I suspect it was the DP version, and while it was nice, it didn't have the laughter gene. Hope the CBG one is good for you.

Never looked much at Mandala but that intrigues me so I may get some. I have never grown the Purple Haze x Malawi but have grown many Ace varieties including Purple Haze and Malawi separately and they were both pretty good. Maybe I should make my own as I still have seeds of both Malawi and their regular Haze.

Harvestreaper, thanks for the suggestion but I'm as far away from Greece as I could be.

potty1

I had a few plants from subcool that had me and others in severe fits of giggles...in like a childlike state!!
The first ones were Jack's cleaner,I didn't take cuts and it was too late to reveg by the time I discovered its wonderfull effects
So
I went for 'jack the ripper' and found that to have the same qualities of high.
Would and have recommended them to lots over the years and have only had good feedback with similar effects.
I'm sure they're still out there to purchase..
RIP sub

Ralph W. Llama

I have had a few different strains over the years that caused intense laughter, some of the old Mexican brick in the 80’s, no name homegrown in the 90’s and most recently a volunteer Elvis progeny that I lost a couple of years ago. It was like xtc, cocaine and Will Farrell combined. Same results with different people in different settings, it was great.

I dusted that plant with several pollen sources and have three OTH crosses in veg now. The search continues.

Tangwena

Veteran
I get that every time I chew Malawi and Mulanje cobs while zooming up everything is funny once you start laughing thats the end of it you cant stop.

I only have to look at someones face and thats enough to set me off its the only way to fly as well.
Flying home once I couldn't talk to my wife for the whole flight any word uttered by either of us and as soon as I locked eyes with her I was laughing my ass off.
Malawi grass is famous for its laughing effects.

If you have grown it and not experienced this then it was not a good representative of Malawi grass or you didn't grow or cure it properly or both.
Most times when I chew the cobs I'm alone and I still piss myself with the crazy things that pop into m head.
Its def out there just grow it right cure it right and the world is comedy just for you to enjoy.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions, and glad I am not the only one to experience that high.

I have tried some Durban in the past but I suspect it was the DP version, and while it was nice, it didn't have the laughter gene. Hope the CBG one is good for you.

Never looked much at Mandala but that intrigues me so I may get some. I have never grown the Purple Haze x Malawi but have grown many Ace varieties including Purple Haze and Malawi separately and they were both pretty good. Maybe I should make my own as I still have seeds of both Malawi and their regular Haze.

Harvestreaper, thanks for the suggestion but I'm as far away from Greece as I could be.
pm me brother.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I get that every time I chew Malawi and Mulanje cobs while zooming up everything is funny once you start laughing thats the end of it you cant stop.

I only have to look at someones face and thats enough to set me off its the only way to fly as well.
Flying home once I couldn't talk to my wife for the whole flight any word uttered by either of us and as soon as I locked eyes with her I was laughing my ass off.
Malawi grass is famous for its laughing effects.

If you have grown it and not experienced this then it was not a good representative of Malawi grass or you didn't grow or cure it properly or both.
Most times when I chew the cobs I'm alone and I still piss myself with the crazy things that pop into m head.
Its def out there just grow it right cure it right and the world is comedy just for you to enjoy.
Interesting. The only Malawi I've had was ACEs which was ok but definitely not laughing material.
Sent you a PM.

Tangwena

Veteran
Interesting. The only Malawi I've had was ACEs which was ok but definitely not laughing material.
Sent you a PM.
With all due respect to Ace who have fantastic strains which I love.
There Malawi is not laughing grass so I agree with you on that.
I lived in central Africa for 10 years in the 70's I know Malawi well there is more than one Malawi grass.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
With all due respect to Ace who have fantastic strains which I love.
There Malawi is not laughing grass so I agree with you on that.
I lived in central Africa for 10 years in the 70's I know Malawi well there is more than one Malawi grass.
Yeah it wasn't what I expected and not my cup of tea as far as the high goes. Love some of their other varieties though.

ost

i say that will hold true over time.