What's new

L.A. Begins Closing Medical Cannabis Clubs

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
joe shmoe, maybe your posts were edited cuz you used so many "<<>>><<>>><<>>><<>"

those <<>>< < > <<<< > symbols are used in code, and perhaps the site misread what you were actually saying??

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
couple weeks ago i got an eighth of some of the best canna ive smoked in years!- ogherijuanna, from a club here in san diego.
Let me guess,that huge club off University by the 805? I picked that up several times, it was very well cured and grown. They have a few similarly well grown strains there. I also picked up one that was not so well cured the other day. Do I have to buy that Purple Diesel that was poorly cured again? No. Do I think someone grew it and added poison, and the club is trying to rip me off because it was $45 instead of $60? I hope not, that would be a crime.

Like most foods or herbs*purchased in a store I have to take my risks. I don't know if the Chamomille tea I bought at Henry's, that came from Ecuador actually doesn't have pesticide residue on the leaves? I wouldn't trust anyone's word for it, it's a risk I take for not growing my own food. If I want I can choose to grow my own and guarantee that they are 100% free from sprays. Same goes with MJ, but what you fail to realize is that MMJ is not 100% legal and not allowed to be freely planted. People are persecuted and still convicted Federally for growing Cannabis in California unfortunately. It is kept very restricted and you know damn well people have agendas to try to keep the MMJ and MJ legalization efforts squashed.

The MMJ patients and citizens of California are serious though and aren't about to back down to bullying by prohibitionist lies, so the club scene grows by any means possible, and in this scenario, a bunch of clubs are opening in any way they can and are operating as SAFELY as they can.

The edibles industry for example, yesterday at this coop Subrob is referring to (I think), there were 20 different kinds of edibles. They are all made by a registered professional baker and are regulated (unlike your accusations) by state entities. Before they were all home made, now the club will not sell edibles unless they are made at a California registered bakery.

Change and improvements take time. Transitioning from illegal to legitimate medicine is what is making the process slow, but it is always improving. The way for meds to get better and better is for the STATE to step up and HELP the clubs conform to safety standards. Now I ask you, what has the state done to help these clubs you refer to, conform to safety inspection of the buds ie. testing materials, labs etc....?

Why come here and start bashing clubs for selling what they buy just like we would anyway, from clandestine growers most the time....
If you offer no solutions to your complaints, you are just part of your own problem. What is your solution to weed out the "poisonous bud" from the rest of the weed..

Z

Zeinth

joe shmoe, maybe your posts were edited cuz you used so many "<<>>><<>>><<>>><<>"

those <<>>< < > <<<< > symbols are used in code, and perhaps the site misread what you were actually saying??

something is going on!!

feds

T

TheMintMan

moldy dreads said:
If you offer no solutions to your complaints, you are just part of your own problem. What is your solution to weed out the "poisonous bud" from the rest of the weed..

I could swear I've already extrapolated on my views as far as a few of the ways regulating the industry could help...but if I haven't already- My solution to weed out the "poisonous bud" would be to first set up a licensing board made up of members of the MMJ community, dispensary owners, and a few private individuals...much in the same way the Contractor's State Licensing Board works.

Then when they've mashed their heads together long enough in a think-tank-like environment and come up with a set of standards that we can all agree upon, it is presented to the state/feds for funding.

Once funding is granted, the appropriate machinery can be purchased (i.e. GC/MS) to test not only whether or not the bud is contaminated, but also what the contaminates are and whether or not they are at a level that presents a significant health risk. Not everyone taints their weed on purpose...some folks just grow in their funky, dirty, dusty garage and thus whether or not you can see them, often times there are oodles of little hairs, fibers, etc.

Also, these machines will be able to test potency so patients don't have to get ripped off by unethical d-bags who rename their strains on a monthly basis depending on what name draws the most hype.

Said licensing board will also issue a specific license to open/operate a medical marijuana dispensary, as well as provide a list of guidlines to those who wish to get their license and open up shop. Such info ought to be coming from an objective authority anyways, so you won't have to pay out the arse to go somewhere like that Oaksterdam "Weed College". All info on how to get your license will be provided by the board that issues the license. This will encourage more accountability among dispensary owners/operators, something our industry is currently lacking.

Just a few ideas. Feel free to rip them to shreds if you like. This isn't something I spend nearly as much time thinking about as I would if it were required to maintain my livelihood.

Regards,
Mint.

happyhi

i read in todays paper that a joint bust took place in LA at three clubs.
marina del rey, west hollywood, and the valley i think.
article gave no details except multiple agencies including the feds and dea were involved
would love to know what the skinny is.
peace

T

TheMintMan

So nobody has any suggestions for regulatory protocols? You know it's not a matter of if, but when. Once medical marijuana becomes fully legitimized (if total legalization doesn't happen first) there is going to be regulation whether we like it or not, and it's best if any legislation need be prepared that it be prepared by those in the MMJ community. The alternative is to let the imbeciles in the state legislature figure it out for us...and you know how that is going to turn out. :rolleyes:

So nobody has any suggestions for regulatory protocols? You know it's not a matter of if, but when. Once medical marijuana becomes fully legitimized (if total legalization doesn't happen first) there is going to be regulation whether we like it or not, and it's best if any legislation need be prepared that it be prepared by those in the MMJ community. The alternative is to let the imbeciles in the state legislature figure it out for us...and you know how that is going to turn out. :rolleyes:

word

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran

In California it wil take an act of the people to vote to override what we currently have ;)

T

TheMintMan

They're already presenting legislation to legalize it for sale. What is so hard about setting up a board with a similar structure to the CSLB?

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/

FreedomFGHTR said:
In California it wil take an act of the people to vote to override what we currently have

An "act of the people" can mean anything. Please clarify. I would consider getting out there like obama's campaign supporters did and just flood the community with leaflets in support of proposed legislation to be a pretty effective "act of the people".

nephilthim

They're already presenting legislation to legalize it for sale. What is so hard about setting up a board with a similar structure to the CSLB?

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/

An "act of the people" can mean anything. Please clarify. I would consider getting out there like obama's campaign supporters did and just flood the community with leaflets in support of proposed legislation to be a pretty effective "act of the people".

what he means is a ballot proposition sharing freedoms ire for the manipulations presented to us by the legislature full well knowing the illegality of modifying a state ballot proposition as i have reiterated on numerous posts (f you don a.s.a.duncan)and acertain organisation lawyers having the case declaring patient limits unconstitutional safe access by completely eliminating the competition.
argh more regulation?!isn't it bad enough trying to get a city license?with whole municipalities banniing disp/collfing.policechiefassociation quoting white paper after the supreme court shot their whole basis for an argument down?

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
The Los Angeles City Council has finally started shutting down the hundreds of medical cannabis clubs, collectives and cooperatives that don't have proper permits. Some 600 pot dispensaries have opened in the LA area since a moratorium on new ones took effect in 2007. They were able to open due to a "hardship" loophole caused by the City Council's delay in issuing regulations for dispensaries and clubs.

But now the party may be over for those hundreds of dispensaries. 28 cannabis dispensaries were ordered closed yesterday, with more to follow. To compare, San Francisco has only around 30 dispensaries in the city.

See the Wall Street Journal article for more.

WHY DOES IT SOUND LIKE YOU ARE HAPPY OF THIS HAPPENING? THERE IS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THE CITY. THEY DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO DISTINGUISH WHO IS LEGITIMATE AND WHO IS NOT. SPECIALLY WHEN THE PEOPLE WHO ARE "COMPLAINING" ARE OTHER DISPENSARY OWNERS WHO JUST WANT LESS COMPETITION SO THEY CAN RE RAISE THE PRICE. ANY OF YOU WHO BELIEVE THIS IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION IS SADLY MISTAKEN. NOBODY IS BREAKING ANY LAW BESIDES A BULLSHIT MORATORIUM THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PUT IN PLACE TO BEGIN WITH. THE ONLY WAY TO WEED OUT THE BAD SEED, IS TO LET THE PATIENTS DECIDE WHO THEIR MONEY WILL GO TO. FOR THE CITY COUNCIL TO ORDER CLOSURES IS UNWARRANTED AND UNNEEDED AND FUELED PURLY THROUGH GREED. MAKE NO MISTAKE, THIS IS NOT ABOUT MEDICINE, THIS IS STRICTY ABOUT MONEY AND PROFIT AND KEEPING COMPETITION OUT OF TOWN SO THEY CAN CONTINUE TO CHARGE $500-800 PER OUNCE.

Last edited:
T

TheMintMan

what he means is a ballot proposition sharing freedoms ire for the manipulations presented to us by the legislature full well knowing the illegality of modifying a state ballot proposition as i have reiterated on numerous posts (f you don a.s.a.duncan)and acertain organisation lawyers having the case declaring patient limits unconstitutional safe access by completely eliminating the competition.
argh more regulation?!isn't it bad enough trying to get a city license?with whole municipalities banniing disp/collfing.policechiefassociation quoting white paper after the supreme court shot their whole basis for an argument down?

I hear what you're saying. I agree that the provision regarding plant/weight limits needs to be changed.

I'm not suggesting any "more" regulation than the state government is going to inevitably put on the industry anyways. I'm just saying that we ought to be the ones crafting legislation now, so that when those who don't give a damn about you or me try to present their bogus regulations that offer absolutely no reflection of what the people actually want, the MMJ community has counter-legislation ready.

It is important that when one wants to defeat another's proposal, that he/she have a well thought-out counter-proposal already prepared. Not to go off on a tangent, but that seems to be the problem conservatives ran into several months ago. Media kept hammering the phrase "the party of NO" because repubs were saying stop the bus, but didn't have anything to counter with.

But I digress...

Lead the way, or you may be led somewhere you don't want to go.

EDIT: I'd like to point out, that the regulation I'm talking about has nothing to do with what plants a person chooses to grow in their backyard. I'm talking about the business side of things. And Uncle Sam, whether we like it or not, charges a "security fee" for operating any kind of business in his neighborhood. Unfortunately, this also includes a bit of meddling.

H

Habibi

theres too many people coming into cali to profit off of pot, people who are already here as well. never had any experience with any weed before and all of a sudden theyre selling/growing the shit cause they saw it on msnbc. well its fucking up the scene, culture, and market. they gotta curb this bullshit thats going on somehow, closing down the ridiculous number of crappy shops is a good way to do so. im sick of this flood of morons and sub par weed showing up

fuck richard lee

johnnyla

Veteran
so there is a moratorium on storefront collectives, right?

what about collective gardens that are not storefronts?

are these not allowed? the storefront dispensaries don't grow their meds in stores so what's the deal? it seems like another gray area.

i just want a collective garden not a storefront. do i have to apply for the same license?

johnnyla

Veteran
also, what if i am part of a collective that is already licensed but i want to start a garden?

more grey area

washed up

There's no money in it for the indoor farmer anymore. the operating costs in CA are too high, great genetics are readily available but usually poorly grown. I got PM covered "platinum kush" that stunk like hay & was unsmokeable. I brought a nug over to one of the punks who worked there and he tried to convince me that is was THC and that I was making ridiculous claims. I asked "since when does THC grow in circular spores on foliage?" the Collective market has turned a serious medical business into a lucrative enterprise run on lack of experience and greed. I dont want to say I'm glad that some are closing, but they should. weed stores should have health dept placards that give them a rating based on cleanliness, quality, knowledge of staff, and overall customer service. maybe, just maybe if these places hired experienced buyers, growing med pot would be more rewarding to the grower as well as the dispensary and clientele. its not even worth it to grow elite strains here. you can walk in with the DANKEST weed and because they already have some jarred up in the counter that is practically shwag they picked up for $3k now dictates a $1-2K loss in what I'm used to getting for my hard work, Pride, and chances I take. This place is flooded with fly by night grows and "pot stores". these dispensaries are killing the market and saturating it with crap... that is not right. I work hard for my money and I hate seeing the collectives reap all the rewards.

johnnyla

Veteran
There's no money in it for the indoor farmer anymore. the operating costs in CA are too high, great genetics are readily available but usually poorly grown. I got PM covered "platinum kush" that stunk like hay & was unsmokeable. I brought a nug over to one of the punks who worked there and he tried to convince me that is was THC and that I was making ridiculous claims. I asked "since when does THC grow in circular spores on foliage?" the Collective market has turned a serious medical business into a lucrative enterprise run on lack of experience and greed. I dont want to say I'm glad that some are closing, but they should. weed stores should have health dept placards that give them a rating based on cleanliness, quality, knowledge of staff, and overall customer service. maybe, just maybe if these places hired experienced buyers, growing med pot would be more rewarding to the grower as well as the dispensary and clientele. its not even worth it to grow elite strains here. you can walk in with the DANKEST weed and because they already have some jarred up in the counter that is practically shwag they picked up for $3k now dictates a $1-2K loss in what I'm used to getting for my hard work, Pride, and chances I take. This place is flooded with fly by night grows and "pot stores". these dispensaries are killing the market and saturating it with crap... that is not right. I work hard for my money and I hate seeing the collectives reap all the rewards.

i agree. i hate the dispensary system and want to grow collectively with a few other patients legally. i've grown my own meds before to my liking. i think everyone should grow their own.

what do you recommend given my concerns?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If establishment regulation and mandate were taken away, the free market would take care of ALL of these issues in short order. Anything short of that is destine to fail.
Some folks simply do not get that concept.

Anyone who thinks that the Republicans are on a campaign against weed are mistaken. It is not one of the policy's that are even discussed by Republicans...again a misunderstood concept. You want to know who is lobbying against weed, just follow the money...and it will lead you to the State House. And the rest of us see just how well the CA state house handles finances.

I'm sorry, but I know many of you feel that CA is all that and pocket change because they have dispensaries and what not...but I see it as the most fucked up state in the nation, led by green pantied morons.

washed up

you have to put "scene, & culture" aside from said "Market". There is Practically a surplus of dogshit out there while the demand for medicinal quality is at its highest, thanks to all these noobs to CA and their mega grows of sub parr cannabis. Its funny. I havent seen mexican Brick or BCsters in Socal in years. perhaps I am not looking hard enough...
It is obvious to me that the "war on drugs" has only strengthened CA and a few other states position on med pot and the taxable revenue, while "weeding" out the mexican and canadian drug cartels that controlled the game for way too long.

"If establishment regulation and mandate were taken away, the free market would take care of ALL of these issues in short order. Anything short of that is destine to fail.
Some folks simply do not get that concept."

If establishment regulation & mandate were taken away, there would be total chaos in the streets. grow your own, smoke it and enjoy it. I think dispensaries should be open only to the disabled who can't physically grow, and the meds they receive should be of medicinal quality grown by people who have a "higher" understanding of cultivating AAA+ meds at a fair price. What dictates a fair price though???

Latest posts

Latest posts