What's new

L.A. Begins Closing Medical Cannabis Clubs

Skip

Veteran
The Los Angeles City Council has finally started shutting down the hundreds of medical cannabis clubs, collectives and cooperatives that don't have proper permits. Some 600 pot dispensaries have opened in the LA area since a moratorium on new ones took effect in 2007. They were able to open due to a "hardship" loophole caused by the City Council's delay in issuing regulations for dispensaries and clubs.

But now the party may be over for those hundreds of dispensaries. 28 cannabis dispensaries were ordered closed yesterday, with more to follow. To compare, San Francisco has only around 30 dispensaries in the city.

See the Wall Street Journal article for more.

well i hate to see the clubs get closed down...but like any legit business, they should be following some type of structured rules. but I believe that the rules should be structured by the companies that are currently distributing. not rules set in place but government officials that dont even want mj legal...this is going to be a loosing battle for the patients needing their meds...

D

DjRightHooks

there is just too too many...I look in our local paper(ocWEEKLY) and it is just flooded with ads for mmj cannabis clubs. coupons and everything..haha

DankSide

Not having a business proper set up can get you in trouble or closed down.
Some coffee shops in the dam were shut down by not following proper guidelines - They can be shut down for a number of reasons over there, too bad.

In 2008 there were around 234 coffee shops in Amsterdam

In 2009 we have 600 or so collectives and dispensaries in L.A.

the support is there - every day new people discover the relatively harmless and calming effects of marijuana - sure they need to shut down some of the extras, but the message is clear and weed is in the headlines these days.

tamio

All business' have to run under some type of regulations! It's just the way things are; unfortunately we are past the barter system way of doing things.... government tries to keep control..."tries"... it's just the way it is....

MtnKuSh

there is one way this thing is ever going to work..and that is to follow the rules and regulations ! there is way to many tom,dick and joes opening just to cash in and they dont give a rats ass about people needing meds..all they see is $$$$$$$.. fuckum..close them down if they cant follow the rules !

brownstormy

I don't know. I'm torn about these clubs.
MMJ is serious stuff, but I bet at least 80% of the people coming in are abusing them.
Yea we want it legalized, but we may be screwing over actual serious med users when the spineless politicians hear more and more of the abuse and eventually turn their backs on the whole MMJ situation. As things stand now, it's more likely to regress to complete illegality again than advance to fully legal.

I'm probably talking out of my butt however.

Skip

Veteran
I don't know. I'm torn about these clubs.
MMJ is serious stuff, but I bet at least 80% of the people coming in are abusing them.
Yea we want it legalized, but we may be screwing over actual serious med users when the spineless politicians hear more and more of the abuse and eventually turn their backs on the whole MMJ situation. As things stand now, it's more likely to regress to complete illegality again than advance to fully legal.

I'm probably talking out of my butt however.

Yes, there is abuse, however everyday more people discover the wonders of cannabis and realize how much better they feel using it. Whether it's for a diagnosed medical condition, a chronic Psychological condition, or just as a MOOD SHIFTER, cannabis is indeed MEDICINE!

And if it helps people lead a calmer, more relaxed life, that ALONE justifies keeping it legal because then people don't abuse OTHER HARMFUL DRUGS like alcohol, tobacco, prescription pain meds (like Michael Jackson), etc.

You're probably not living in California, cause if you did you'd realize there is no way marijuana will again be completely illegal. The people have spoken, and the people make law here, often more efficiently and effectively than the legislature who still can't pass a budget and are responsible for the ever spreading shutdown of government services.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
Yes, there is abuse, however everyday more people discover the wonders of cannabis and realize how much better they feel using it. Whether it's for a diagnosed medical condition, a chronic Psychological condition, or just as a MOOD SHIFTER, cannabis is indeed MEDICINE!

And if it helps people lead a calmer, more relaxed life, that ALONE justifies keeping it legal because then people don't abuse OTHER HARMFUL DRUGS like alcohol, tobacco, prescription pain meds (like Michael Jackson), etc.

You're probably not living in California, cause if you did you'd realize there is no way marijuana will again be completely illegal. The people have spoken, and the people make law here, often more efficiently and effectively than the legislature who still can't pass a budget and are responsible for the ever spreading shutdown of government services.

WOnderful response, very well said!

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
I'll bet that L.A has more than 600 bars. Probably has thousands of conv. stores selling one of he nations biggest killers, tobacco. Of course, Cali gets over $10 per carton on cigarettes and only about $5 in sales tax on an 1/8th.

D

DMXAK47

well its always sad to see one closed. but i hope that deosnt happen to fresno. we only have 3 in town and 3 with in 45min away. but in town only 1 sell clones. hey whats the deal with some clubs not letting some poeple 18yo in? some of them say you have to be 21. it deosnt hurt me but my friends. we also have 1 club that delivers to you.

CoonLover

well its always sad to see one closed. but i hope that deosnt happen to fresno. we only have 3 in town and 3 with in 45min away. but in town only 1 sell clones. hey whats the deal with some clubs not letting some poeple 18yo in? some of them say you have to be 21. it deosnt hurt me but my friends. we also have 1 club that delivers to you.

whats happing DMX, have you tried the one in madera over by the ranches?

D

DMXAK47

i went by becoause my friend wanted to try it out. but becaouse she wasnt 21 they didnt let her in so i couldnt leave her behind so i went to the one on blackstone and prinston.

aligee

Veteran
i went by becoause my friend wanted to try it out. but becaouse she wasnt 21 they didnt let her in so i couldnt leave her behind so i went to the one on blackstone and prinston.

theres a club here where at?!

brownstormy

I honestly hope you are right.
I just fear the feds and the dea may have other ideas.
Good luck to us all.

anikas88

although i believe that there should be regulation, it seems like the city counsel has no real guidelines so they created the problem themselves. I think they are fucking up a good thing, sure some clubs suck and are unscrupulous and should be shut down but most are legit businesses that will gladly pay taxes and contribute to the economy

Latest posts

Latest posts