What's new

Kayak Fishing anyone?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
its the unexpected encounters that make it so fun...........yeehaw... and it aint half as scary as float tubes... now that's scary....been there done that...once ya yak you never go back

woolybear

Veteran
kayak fishermen,

whats the $$$ on getting into this hobby? you guys get your yaks new or used? regular yak or a fishing yak?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I bought mine years ago prob atleast 10...it was a demo model...but I bought a new one too so it was package deal....new around 1200 roughly I think.....mine is regular and got no fishing stuff built in and I aint gonna add any other than what I already did... a fishfinder transducer in my drop skeg....and a foam piece up front for rods to rest on...I would rather have my model than another as I have tried quite a few over the years...I wouldn't mind a second one with the foot paddling tho...mine comes into its glory on windy and rainy days...kayaks have a lot of price ranges but you do get what you pay for ...them cheapo walmart ones aint shit 400-600 I think there.... depends on what you want to do..i would spend the good money and buy from reputable company... I don't know how many pics I got of it in my gallery but superman might have some lol

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
went fishing to a local spot last night

caught an melona icewaffle

picture.php

mmmmmmmmm

gekolite

I have been wanting to do this before I get to old, have been a fisherman all my life , what type of kayak do you recommend ? thank you for your help..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
yeehaw.taught a neighbor to kayak and he bought one...he needs the excersize..the old guy kicked ass for his second time ever and first in his new kayak....wont match my yak tho....I have converted yet another.....peace the catfish are a biting..all fish were released alive... it was not a killing night...ooh ya the yak has fishfinder but no sideways technology just down....eagle portable12 v

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
the lake water is receiding fast..the exposed tress look like a fishermans christmas tree....lots of free lures and gear to be had for free right now...found 2 lake trolls, castmaster and a crank bait last night...think its time for catfish again till the water stabilizes a bit...yeehaw

FlaDankster

Veteran
I have been wanting to do this before I get to old, have been a fisherman all my life , what type of kayak do you recommend ? thank you for your help..

Lots to choose from.Budget is where ya need to start.$300 could get ya started or ya could drop $1500 $2000.

Easiest thing to do if you can get to a kayak place that can let you take it for a test run.Some places have a lake pond on the premises for this.Find what ya like and then buy used lol.

Nice cats stoned-trout.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
my 62 year old neighbor bought one for like $$$350 from Costco....its a sit on top 10 ft.....its ok for a beginner...found 2 more lures today and a landing net...yeehaw...headed back out tonight at 7...got 2 more cats last night ..they are in freezer now....

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
snagged a fishing rod the other day...someone wasn't watching their rod I guess...shakespear mantis setup.....gonna go out tonight at around 2 am...case of beer and an 1/8....peeps think I am crazy going out late night..i just think they must be pussies with no sense of adventure...very spooky late at night on the water ...I love it .....hope the catfish are biting........yeehaw

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
pick up all your trash when you leave...so tired of tourists leaving trash...here I built a temp trashcan for the cans and took the bag with me......slow fishing but I caught a buzz.....need to get a rig setup with bobber stop to be able to consistently fish at same depth with cut shad for suspended cats .been using the yak and fishfinder to hit and run on fish..find fish,hit shore,then move when it slows..i got front and rear anchor points now for steady anchoring......yeehaw

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I did some crazy striper fishing in new England area, a lot of cape cod fishing with huge eels and pogies...way fun....bass river in dennis was a fav spot...troll an 18 inch eel and hold on when they hit... I got a shimano bait runner reel just for live bait...tarpon is still my fav tho ...that's a blast and you don't have to go far offshore or anything....best shallow water fighting fish

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
back to ocean sandiego/ la jolla...the weird el ninyo weather water temps 75.4 are bringing in all kinds of stuff not usually found so close to shore...yellowtail,hammerheads and a bunch ofother stuff.....once my online orders all come in watch out ...I had to upgrade from my freshwater stuff.... prob get new reel.. ..and upgrade line on rest.... definitely heavier fluorocarbon and already ordered AFW micro ultra 19 strand stainless coated camo knot able wire so you don't need crimper and sleeves....yeehaw..no more trout altho I could use a few for bait

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I went kayak fishing when I was a young. I even wore disposable gloves because I was afraid of the slime.
gloves are for girls...lol...slime don't bother me except for eeels ...man that shit is hard to get off your hands ... I used to catch eels for striper fishing back east..... trolling a 14 inch or so double hooked eel caught lots of huge stripers.... took an act of god to get the slime off hands...yeehaw