What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kayak Fishing anyone?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i would love to kayak fish in the ocean and then i hear about dudes getting bitten in half and eaten by a great white while a dude on a jet ski tries to pull the torso out but the GW starts coming at the jet ski. F that. this was just recently too. i think in south africa or or AUS? said it was a 17 footer too which is uncommonly large for that part of the ocean if im not mistaken.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
finally bit the bullet & bought me a 'yak. then, two days later, fell & hurt my back hunting morel mushrooms. doc sez two weeks or more till i'm OK... :^(

supermanlives

Veteran
went out yesterday for a bit. realized how out of shape I have gotten. got to change that . nice day tho a bit breezy and I didn't fish as I haven't got my liscense this year yet.blazed up a few folks and met a hottie.

supermanlives

Veteran
went out today. too windy but fun . found me a bunch of oysters. ate em as soon as I got home . mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

supermanlives

Veteran
I accessorized the yak. it was either a rod holder or fun . lol. only one cop here so I went with fun. see ya on da water. davesnothere

supermanlives

Veteran
got 2 catfish. got in at 1 in the morn. way cool being on the lake at night. even better knowing there aint no cops likely to be watching.got really really stoned. catfish for dinner tonight; will get a pic when I get ready to skin em . got to find a nail and a tree. not a bad start to my fishing season . unless obummers actions close the nat parks and such.fuck obummer and fuck anyone that thinks a closed nat park will keep me out . just means less wardens and rangers.edit catfish soaking in milk ,time to make a beer batter mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

supermanlives

Veteran
i would love to kayak fish in the ocean and then i hear about dudes getting bitten in half and eaten by a great white while a dude on a jet ski tries to pull the torso out but the GW starts coming at the jet ski. F that. this was just recently too. i think in south africa or or AUS? said it was a 17 footer too which is uncommonly large for that part of the ocean if im not mistaken.

don't be such a pussy. that's what makes it exciting. I been close to great whites and killers and whales. makes it exciting and your heart beating fAST too amazed to be scared. man up bro get out there

supermanlives

Veteran
got 5 trout today my legal limit.if I was a shady character I could of kept 3 more lol. great day for me bad day for trout. need to get the smoker going if this keeps up. will get a pic of em tomorrow. their on ice and I am tired. yeehaw.EDIT anyone got any favorite brine recipes for trout let me know........the fishing is so good I aint taking the yak next time. going the lazy shore fisherman route.

Last edited:
to the lobster pics up there, I can't stand lobster i grew up not too far from the Chesapeake. so i grew up eating crabs had lobster for the first time not too long ago and there was not really any taste and goddamn was it chewy(not hating thought those are some big ass lobsters!). i wouldn't mind getting one of those kayaks with the pedals and the little prop under it to do some bass fishing on.

supermanlives

Veteran
I grew up in lobster central. maine and new England. I ate so many when I left I didn't eat a lobster for years. tough lobster is either really huge or overcooked.you would be surprised how many places overcook lobster and let it sit in water . 2 1/2 lb lobster is the size I like. you can always order 2 lol. I want one of them kayaks too .^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, going out today, shore fishing been slow . hooked up fishfinder so I am ready after a few coffee and a j or 2........... peace...... see ya on the water

M

Mr.23

I also kayak fish too!
Cobra fish and dive. Very stable platform but not as fast. Don't need speed since mostly I'm fishing the wall at long beach and San pedro for calicod, sand bass, and spotty with the occasional halibut, wsb. Also love fishing the cliffs at palos verdes, where the closure is not in effect. Inshore fisherman here! Also float tubing the bay is fun!

supermanlives

Veteran
had a chance for a free kayak today.... it ended up being sport model and with low water here it would only get used for like 2 weeks spring runoff... not worth messing with and my yak can carry gear.. cant go out onto lake in hot summer without gear...you know beer LOL

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
by my fishfinder readings and experience the catfish should all be grouped together in the narrow trench about 70ft.....gonna give it a try .we all know in cold temps the big ens don't move more than a few feet to feed and I don't got live bait...so we shall see.i might catch a small trout and offer it up....peace

fukndenny

by my fishfinder readings and experience the catfish should all be grouped together in the narrow trench about 70ft.....gonna give it a try .we all know in cold temps the big ens don't move more than a few feet to feed and I don't got live bait...so we shall see.i might catch a small trout and offer it up....peace

a trout or shad, sunfish/bluegill cut up into chunks should work fine, even with the cold weather. give a spot 15-30min if no bites move on and repeat until you find them. I catch them right after the ice thaws out and there's fresh dead shad floating around so I use those and usually do pretty well

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
no catfish but trout are biting ....fish moved couldn't find any grouped up so they might be headed to shallow water and feeder streams....been mid 70s and nice outside... I never get tired of kayaking on the lake so beautifull...peace

armedoldhippy

Veteran
anyone have any experience with outriggers or equivalent to steady a 'yak ? some times it seems like morons in power boats want to see just how stable my canoe etc is in waves. hell, I'm basically unstable as is, I don't need a kayak for that...:biggrin:

StoneyK

Veteran
My uncle my cousin and I uswd to paddle out set pots an come home with lots of nice lobster down by San Diego.
We went one time lost one kayak entirely and ended up swimming with sharks literally.
Glad I wasnt the one who sunk his kayak! Hahaha
My cousin took somas an was useless we laughed so hard he sunk his kayak right off the breakwater... ended up screaming an whinin about swimmin with all the lil sharkeys as he hung on to our kayaks when we paddled in with our lobster pots... omg I swear we cried laughin an he hated us for a week after...lol

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
lake filling up..yeehaw.. hooked a bass and lost it.. but I found 2 fishing lures and in the middle of lake I found SNAKE .. poor little guy looked tired and also like a rattlesnake...my paddle disassembles into to halves and has a scoop on blade ends... I scooped his ass up and set him in front.....he curled up and looked at me all the way to shore and a warm rock.was awesome and it was so cool looking...I considered taking him home lol ...fuk da city