What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kayak Fishing anyone?

D

dingbang

What a great combination. Smoking, fishing and kayaking. There are days when I almost don't care if I catch anything. I am fortunate to live in an area where we can paddle a mile or two off the beach and hit sheepshead and red eyes or we can move inshore and target trout and reds. I have even caught cobia and tarpon on the kayak. Never again though:eek:.

I have some friends in Hawaii who blue water fish for marlin on kayaks.....no thanks. I like to keep it a little more mellow and just get away from it all, maybe just burn, drift and cast occasionally.

Anybody else?

M

MoldyFrogToe

Yeah, mostly for stripers in the season. It's really nice, most times fishing becomes the last priority, but its good to have the rod in and just paddle around.
Sunset and sunrise are great
Winter kayaking is fun but the water always seems rough, skirts help
A sealed up kayak would be fun, so I wouldn't have to worry about hypothermia as much in the winter. But screw it, summer's where it's at!

CaliKnowsBetter

I did plenty of kayak fishing around Catalina Island. It's pretty insane, especially if you hook on to a big yellow or white sea bass. They will drag your kayak into kelp beds and rock structures. It can be such a nightmare, but it's all gravy as long as you have the fattest blunt you ever rolled in your hand.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'd like to try it, but keeping a kayak right-side up is about all i have time for when i'm in one...:) hell, i flipped a jon boat once! :tiphat:

D

dingbang

i'd like to try it, but keeping a kayak right-side up is about all i have time for when i'm in one...:) hell, i flipped a jon boat once! :tiphat:

sounds like weight a displacement issue.

like maybe the weight of that twelve pack going down your gullet gave you vertigo. i did that once in a canoe with 3 sober people in 60 degree water. when we finally got back to shore they pushed me off the dock.

stories like that make being sober a lot easier.

D

dingbang

Yeah, mostly for stripers in the season. It's really nice, most times fishing becomes the last priority, but its good to have the rod in and just paddle around.
Sunset and sunrise are great
Winter kayaking is fun but the water always seems rough, skirts help
A sealed up kayak would be fun, so I wouldn't have to worry about hypothermia as much in the winter. But screw it, summer's where it's at!

Yep, I agree. Being in a skirted kayak defeats the purpose entirely for me.

I did plenty of kayak fishing around Catalina Island. It's pretty insane, especially if you hook on to a big yellow or white sea bass. They will drag your kayak into kelp beds and rock structures. It can be such a nightmare, but it's all gravy as long as you have the fattest blunt you ever rolled in your hand.

Catalina's beautiful. It get deep real quick off that shore doesn't it?

D

dingbang

Cool vid, thanks. My buddy has a boat similar to that one and its pretty amazing.

Kayak fishing in Saltwater looks like sooo much fun, I'm really hoping to get an opportunity to try my hand at it soon!

Well, get out there Satchifunkilus! If you are looking for a good deal on a Yak the check out rental places. They usually get dealer prices on new ones and sell the older ones cheap, that's how we acquired our boats. I have yet to pay more than $100 for a boat with a paddle.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
sounds like weight a displacement issue.

like maybe the weight of that twelve pack going down your gullet gave you vertigo. i did that once in a canoe with 3 sober people in 60 degree water. when we finally got back to shore they pushed me off the dock.

stories like that make being sober a lot easier.

naw, it was just finding out how aluminum gets hung on rocks that fiberglass slides over...:)

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
I love kayak fishing! Great thread!

What kind of kayaks you use? I only have one, a 14' Wilderness Systems . . . the rudder is a great addition, without I'd actually to paddle!

Easygrowing

Veteran
picture.php

From a Black hawk !

supermanlives

Veteran
great canadian kayak company model velocity. kicks ass has been taken cross country. stripers in the north and tarpon in florida keys. now using it in so cal. mine has a drop skeg and its worth it. i remember my first time using one 9 years or so ago. before that it was a canoe. i hated all the paddeling to go nowhere fast. with a kayak i glide smoothly over the water with very little effort.

Last edited:
Nice thread .... i fish all spring/summer from my yak.... never salt... just freshwater..... last summer i caught more than 15 smallmouth over 4lbs while stoned off my ass...really a great time ! Besides growing i love the peace/serinity of the water while hunting that state record...:)

t2

Easygrowing

Veteran
Yes that,s its what life are about-kayaking-or fishing-a little pipe on the beach mabye : ) good food of course-and mabye bringing the dog to also.The blackhawk,is not mine.I have 2 kayaks,
1 Trapper "Barracuda" Seakayak-not an good Seakayak-but an good longdistance kayak-but can take real wawes-but you has to fight a bit for holding her : ) but that it,s just fun-Im from Scandinavian-we don,t have big waves in here,im my area.
But then the wheather.is really hard,we take 2 an area,there we can play in harsh waves or,we don,t need to trip so long,for finding big waves..Have also an fishing kayak..a prowler 15 "
Flyfishing from those and can also bringing my dog to
picture.php

more pics can come : ) it,s the best hobbie i have tried ever.
picture.php

The Trapper-maded in Sweden..good for marathon and so on.Kayaking in all sorts of wheather-to the ice is so thick,you can,t break it-but not alone so..are in a club..but often alone in the summertime-out before the sun is rising.. only saltwater or half of fresh-salt-cant the word for those-but you understand i guess : )-lets us see some pics thanks : )

Last edited:
R

Rysam

I cant wait for this summer. the kids are big enough to paddle their own boat, the ol'lady got a pole & license for xmas, and I got a trailer thats soo much easier to load than lifting them on the truck.

I used a drift bag from the big boat a couple times this summer on breezy/windy days and it worked very well for keeping the boat straight.

I should say, Im using a couple of the "Costco special" 2 seaters and am very happy with them. comfy. lots of room, and fairly easy to paddle. a Pelican and uhh. a yellow one.

Campfire

I like to kayak around Gasparilla Sound, Bull Bay, Charlotte Harbor, Boca Grande areas when I go to FL. Throw a half-ounce Johnson gold Sprite spoon, 20lb leader, 10lb test line, for redfish, snook, trout - fish the passes/cuts with a small nylon jig tipped with a bit of fresh-cut shrimp for pompano.

I avoid the tarpon, I don't want to die yet.

Shimano spinning, 7' Berkely Bionix medium action graphite.

Latest posts

Latest posts