What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kayak Fishing anyone?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
ya stinky bait ,but due to the influx of water they have spread out a bit I think...gonna try a few drift runs next time....the lake is filling up....wont be long before they open the dam up more for all the orchards/farmers downstream....tried the usual spots with no success using Charlie a and b baits...prob need to go catch some small baitfish for cut bait as there aint any available local....walmart bait sucks too.....might make up some chum with cheap tuna or catfood

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
went for bass got 4 trout...went again for bass and got crappie...go figure...lake filling up fast and fishing is fucking great if ya know what your doing....trout pics on another camera up later.....first crappie of season...lost 2 more as I was using bass spinnerbait a bit too big.....

Classic Seeds

Veteran
I bought a double seater pelican sit on top thought I would rig some out riggers on it to make it super stable to fish salmon and maybe on nice days some inshore reefs on the ocean .fished it once hooked a salmon shark from the little jack salmon I had on the line .that kind of cured me of wanting to fish in a kayak except in a river or a lake .here in Oregon we have to many sharks for me to ever feel comfortable on it again in tide waters or the ocean .depending on where you live you might want to really think about what else is out there beside rock fish and the like .have a good one and be safe aloha cls

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol,yup,the ocean is a scary place at times...i hooked an 11 lb silver salmon and that fish drug me all over the bay for almost a half hour...almost lost my paddle twice...ended up having to land the fish in the cockpit and then fasten the spray skirt to keep it down there....not 2 days after that i was was just sitting in the middle of the bay smoking a joint and drinkin a cold one,(turns out that freezing cold alaskan water makes a damn fine beer cooler) when an orca slid up out of the water like 5 feet from me....glass calm water,barely even made a ripple as it glided by and went back under,never saw it come up again,didnt even know it was around....appeared,looked me over,went away....

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have hooked tarpon and hammerheads in my yak ..other sharks too.. also huge striped bass using eels and pogies....its a rush man ..wouldn't have it any other way... been real close to whales too many times...but I am crazy and a redneck........yeehaw....and yes the lake is beautifull and filling up and the fish are active...prob fish atleast 5 days a week now in the yak...seen a pic of some huge crappie from here so I am motivated now even more as crappie are great eatin.....that one was almost 13 inches and a baby according to some locals...its going on grill with a ribeye steak ..surf and turf for dinner

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have had some serious battles in the florida keys with sharks......the adrenaline rush is incredible man.......got towed around a lot by tarpon and hammerheads along with others

Classic Seeds

Veteran
its nice to know there are still brave crazy adventurers in their yaks I hope your sharks stay small or are not big man eaters but I don't know what anyone can do without a bang stick or some kind of gun if a 15 foot tiger or white comes a chomping on your boat a gaff or a spear just piss's them off.

its also inlegal for some crazy reason to harm a great white in Oregon .if I ever got in that situation I would take the ticket for blasting the shark better a fine than eaten or 500 stiches from the tasting sample they do when they are curious about whiether or not your on the menu and bite to see if they want to eat you.

tigers are worst they already know they are going to eat you .whites usually just bite and leave after they have knocked you 20 feet in the air .I will stick to lakes and above tide water for my fishing I don't need those kinds of thrills aloha cls

meadowman

hahaha, i've done some spearfishing in the keys, not a hobby for the faint of heart. sharks are a constant pest, kinda like a stray dog. i've fought bulls trying to keep my spear from bending as they were ripping the fish from it. it gets the blood pumping to say the least.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
no guts no glory...generally you cut the line before anything goes wrong sometimes you can do a release....no sharks where I am at now.....made me a mini crayfish trap and a 23 1/2 minnow trap.....I can set them in random places...crayfish are 60 cents each at store minnows aint cheap either...... yeehaw.. my issue is tourists in bass boats drunk and going full throttle ... that is scary!!!!!!!!!!!!,,sharks are cool....sounds like Oregon deserves a visit,never did any fishing while there..nice place.....

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
out yesterday in the shallows...the carp were going crazy man it must be breeding season...some 25lb and bigger fish going all ballistic...I mean chaseing each other,jumping crashing into bushes and trees and shit...it was off da hook man....made fishing for crappie and bass in that area hopeless....wish I had video camera to capture it......but it was cool anyhow.....peace

woolybear

Veteran
lol,yup,the ocean is a scary place at times...i..not 2 days after that i was was just sitting in the middle of the bay smoking a joint and drinkin a cold one,(turns out that freezing cold alaskan water makes a damn fine beer cooler) when an orca slid up out of the water like 5 feet from me....glass calm water,barely even made a ripple as it glided by and went back under,never saw it come up again,didnt even know it was around....appeared,looked me over,went away....

i would shit my pants if that happened

interested, i should learn this year. yak a lake

Latest posts

Latest posts