What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it just me? Or.....

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I'm not an Ace "fan boy". I'm a fan of options that aren't a bottlenecked mash-up of the same few genomes all overly interbred.

I'll agree with those that mention growing methods/skill as a factor. To some degree. The best flower comes from an extremely diverse and living organic chemistry. Nothing bottled. I've had great looking runs with various styles of hydro and spent quite a few years with one area of my growing set aside for DWT coco. Beautiful plants every time. Just not the same. Even "so called" organic that comes from a bottle. Lighting makes a huge difference as well. HPS &/or LED won't make top quality flower either.

Again, the seed market if flooded with a lack of diversity, too much indica (boring), too many fem seeds (that bottlenecks the genes), and auto garbage.

You clearly don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. What lights do you use?

Take a look around icmag where the world's best growers are posting pics of amazing cannabis grown with hps, led, bottled nutrients, etc

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
:

OG
Sour
Mint
Cookie
Kush
Diesel
Wreck
Glue
Gorilla
Sugar
White
AK
Widow
Matanuska
NL
Bubba

the truth is that well grown real deal ecsd and well grown real deal trainwreck will put down most of malawis and panamas in smoke quality...

therevverend

Veteran
Does kiona do anything in seed form? seen some of their cuts being used in other crosses but I don't fully understand how the american market works with companies like this.
You and i both man. It's not legal at the federal level so each state makes it's own rules. Kiona is in Washington which has the most restrictive laws of any recreational state. Growing is still a 5 year felony, all the bad old laws are still in effect. Possessing more then 40 grams is a 5 year felony. The other Rec states have decriminalized for the most part. Seeds are banned, they don't let the Rec shops sell seeds because they say it encourages people to grow for the black market. There's no breeders anymore. They quashed medical, slumped it in with Rec. At least I can get a medical card and grow personal, I'd be fucked otherwise. The black market and medical markets are gone.

The grow scene here is dead, the breeding scene died years ago. Seattle from the late 70s to the early 2010s had arguably the best indoor grow scene in the world. Great breeding, great strains, now it's gone. I can't believe everyone folded over. People who use to grow great ganja use vape pens and cartridges. Huge amounts of ganja go straight to the butcher to be made into butane oil. It's a dab world now. No one cares about flowers. The old heads had grandkids, cancer, and pussed out, the young kids want Whatever Gets you the Most Fucked Up. Some things never change. (I know dabs can be great. I'm talking about the commercial vaporizer machine shit)

I like giving Kiona a thumbs up whenever I can, because I know how hard it is to survive with the regulations the way they are. I don't know how they do it, how they make a profit. There's a few others out there making great Rec flowers but they're few and far between. It's not the strains that are fault, it's the rules and commercial process that's fucked. The public and their stupid vaporizer cartridges as well. People have forgotten what good ganja is. Hashish? Forget about it.

I know a medical patient, has tumors and gets terrible headaches. I tell her I'll help her out. No way. Why? Because she likes to go to the Rec shop with lots of pretty packages and labels to look at. That's the reasoning. Uneducated consumers. It's not surprising, a few years back the same people were buying up the beasters.

It's strange too, how people talk about Northern Lights with hushed tones now. I love NL, don't get me wrong, it was the first strain I saw in an indoor grow. Hermie NL full of seeds, from Amsterdam. (some things never change) I'll bet you guys would start a riot over a pack of those seeds. My point is, NL is the number one commercial strain of all time. Not for potency or taste or high, because it's easy to clone, easy to grow, flourishes in hydro, most of that old NL makes me puke I've seen so much commercial. I'd take the ZZZkittles or boo berry gorilla kiddy candy pussy over commercially run hydro NL every time. You guys aren't old enough to understand it's an improvement or so old you forgot. Mexican sativas? Columbian? Almost all that stuff was dog shit back in the day. You'd get a nug of blueberry or some frosty skunk Indica and you'd be in heaven. No one bitches about schwag anymore. The grass is always greener..

Red October

the truth is that well grown real deal ecsd and well grown real deal trainwreck will put down most of malawis and panamas in smoke quality...
just for a bit of clarity on this, do you mean as an overall product quality or specifically the high? GTH#1 seems really good, bought a pack after you suggested it in another thread and I did some reading up on it

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I mean overall quality... sure I would prefer gth over ace panama or ace malawi... on the other hand I grew 18 weeker of old timers haze from cut, and it was top notch and unusual quality. one of the finest I have ever smoked..

Red October

I mean overall quality... sure I would prefer gth over ace panama or ace malawi... on the other hand I grew 18 weeker of old timers haze from cut, and it was top notch and unusual quality. one of the finest I have ever smoked..
thanks man, pretty much my take on them too from what I've read.

OTH on the other hand is something I'd love to try but I don't have the resources to really grow that properly. Beanhoarder has some interesting oth crosses that I've been considering, the f13 cross really sounds good on paper. I'm not sure why there aren't more crosses done with it widely available

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is disappearing up your own arse one of the lesser known side-effects of only liking to smoke long flowering sativas ?

VG

bs0

"think you'll find with the commercial/dispensary weed if you were to grow the same strains yourself you'll enjoy them a lot more "

I know some very skilled farmers and they have run plenty of the "popular" names of the day and they just have been drab. I think too much indica is in most of them. People are looking for easy grows, massive/fast yields, smell, and some flavor they can stick a name on that is familiar to people in life outside of cannabis. Diesel, berry, sour, mint, cookies or whatever. Nothing short of breeding for the chumps of the world.

You know.... Fine wine takes time. Volume (yield) and top shelf anything rarely come together. Overall terpene profile is more important than THC % and much of the more "landrace" based offerings consistently run very high levels of THC while offering much more complexity as a whole.

I rocked a haze for a while, all 14 weeks of flowering it, and it ended up blah. Grew a good sour diesel and it was far, far better. Really wanted the haze to be good too. Sometimes you can go a little too hipster and miss some good stuff.

X

xavier7995

The taste and look reminded me of the hybrids my friends from the midwest would grow, when the amount of Mexican genetics in stuff was still noticeable. I miss that stuff sometimes.

If one was looking for these sorts of genetics, any idea where you would start? I have been questing for midwest mexican for a while now but haven't had much luck. Like an episode of an Anthony Bourdain show, just looking for those experiences that take you back to childhood.

Anywho, big ace fan as well but I think everything has a time and place. Went on a long sativa kick but doing some cookie and glue hybrids this year and they are quite enjoyable. Decent amount of sativa/haze type mixed in with them, but boy its been some nice tasting and relaxing weed.

numberguy

About 20 years ago went looking for mexican seeds from mexico to make a hybred, all the brick seeds people gave me were hybreds or not even mexican in origin, ended up using a durbin. I see this may change now, and no I cant use a sativa that has been bred indoors it has to come from place of origin. The best weed has no tolerance build up over time, but heavy smokers slowly start to use less over time. After ten years of same plant, ask you want something diff? they answer is it stronger or just say no, like you are trying to trick them. So do not lose hope, better is still known to exist, not everywhere is it legal.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
About 20 years ago went looking for mexican seeds from mexico to make a hybred, all the brick seeds people gave me were hybreds or not even mexican in origin, ended up using a durbin. I see this may change now, and no I cant use a sativa that has been bred indoors it has to come from place of origin. The best weed has no tolerance build up over time, but heavy smokers slowly start to use less over time. After ten years of same plant, ask you want something diff? they answer is it stronger or just say no, like you are trying to trick them. So do not lose hope, better is still known to exist, not everywhere is it legal.

A close friend went to Mexico last October for 2 weeks and stayed in a resort that was owned by a cartel apparently many are.

The beach is roped off at the resort and people selling goods a lot of it being cannabis and other drugs can come up to the rope and sell there goods to the holiday makers.

My mate was offered pre rolled joints hybrids buds and sativa buds he went with the sativa buds and was real happy with the smoke very strong and seedless .

So its their you just need to find it.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
You guys aren't old enough to understand it's an improvement or so old you forgot. Mexican sativas? Columbian? Almost all that stuff was dog shit back in the day. You'd get a nug of blueberry or some frosty skunk Indica and you'd be in heaven. No one bitches about schwag anymore. The grass is always greener..

Exactly. I remember a lot of shit seedy weed in the 70s with very few real highlights, regardless of what the dealer called it. And then BC skunk blurred the 80s. :rasta:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Exactly. I remember a lot of shit seedy weed in the 70s with very few real highlights, regardless of what the dealer called it. And then BC skunk blurred the 80s. :rasta:

My vision in the 80s was blurred by mostly Thais and LSD and few things today can compete with the old school sativas.

You can find some outstanding modern hybrids but commercial sk is not one of them.

HAZENACIOUS

My vision in the 80s was blurred by mostly Thais and LSD and few things today can compete with the old school sativas.

You can find some outstanding modern hybrids but commercial sk is not one of them.
Hi Hempy,
It's true, things were different in the USA, and most of the brickweed coming out of mexico in the 80s was pretty bad. I used to smoke lots of it. Sometimes you would get lucky with a good brick, but none of it could compete with the California Kind at the time. I was lucky because I had access to the really good sativas sometimes, but mexican wasn't it. The Oaxacan and acapulco gold etc, was totally different and basically gone by the 80s, and not brickweed fare, and I couldn't get that stuff unfortunately, but I've heard from all the old cats that those were the best of the central south american types, even better than the Columbians I used to smoke back in the day, before cali kind was really available in my area in the early 80s.
I had a friend who was much older than me, who had gone on a quest to Oaxaca to find the original Oaxacan in the 70s way before I met him, he found it, he said it was the strongest weed, most up, best weed ever, he said it was like an acid trip.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Hi Hempy,
It's true, things were different in the USA, and most of the brickweed coming out of mexico in the 80s was pretty bad. I used to smoke lots of it. Sometimes you would get lucky with a good brick, but none of it could compete with the California Kind at the time. I was lucky because I had access to the really good sativas sometimes, but mexican wasn't it. The Oaxacan and acapulco gold etc, was totally different and basically gone by the 80s, and not brickweed fare, and I couldn't get that stuff unfortunately, but I've heard from all the old cats that those were the best of the central south american types, even better than the Columbians I used to smoke back in the day, before cali kind was really available in my area in the early 80s.
I had a friend who was much older than me, who had gone on a quest to Oaxaca to find the original Oaxacan, he found it, he said it was the strongest weed, most up, best weed ever, he said it was like an acid trip.

We never really had brick weed here the only compressed was some Thai my guess would be the Mexican process of harvest and not drying /curing it well would of played a huge roll in well screwing the quality of the end product.

The 80s here was amazing for cannabis.

JohnnyChicago

The OPs list has some stuff I have really enjoyed.

Does Ace ship to the USofA?

The OP is comparing seeds to elite cuts of which some are getting hold since decades. He basically is saying he only likes sativas, especially when they are from Ace. And that al the rest he doesn't like.

For sativas Ace are a good choice. For indicas (that's what's on the OP's list) the US is the place, unless you want to try Ace's PCK crosses.

Azeotrope

Veteran
You clearly don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. What lights do you use?

Take a look around icmag where the world's best growers are posting pics of amazing cannabis grown with hps, led, bottled nutrients, etc

Well now...... Science would be a beneficial area of study for you then. This engineer will leave that up to you.

Azeotrope

Veteran
The OP is comparing seeds to elite cuts of which some are getting hold since decades. He basically is saying he only likes sativas, especially when they are from Ace. And that al the rest he doesn't like.

For sativas Ace are a good choice. For indicas (that's what's on the OP's list) the US is the place, unless you want to try Ace's PCK crosses.

I think it is fair to say that I strongly prefer sats. The cannabis being sold in the U.S. market is largely all the same. Boring, short lasting effects. It's just a bunch of "make you stupid and lazy" weed.

Azeotrope

Veteran
So, a lot of you seem to be afraid to undertake growing sativas indoors? Interesting. It's like anything else; where there is a will - there is a way.

I had some battles early on but, I don't take the easy out.

Latest posts

Latest posts