What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it just me? Or.....

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Golden tiger took forever and came out weak. Years later when I got into my own place I put a golden tiger outside, it was out of this world stronger than anything else in a narcotic day to day sense and very trippy to casual smokers.

was the outdoor GTiger a cutting of the one u grew indoors?? -

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I wouldn't take to much notice of a single persons opinion on the internet. We all use cannabis for different reasons, some to open our minds others to forget, some to relax some to motivate, to expand thought, increase appetite, decrease pain.

Growing ability also makes a big difference, I used to grow in Coco in door in small pots, hybrids came out pretty good, better than most commercial. Golden tiger took forever and came out weak. Years later when I got into my own place I put a golden tiger outside, it was out of this world stronger than anything else in a narcotic day to day sense and very trippy to casual smokers.

I also think that kush, gorilla ect are enjoyable smokes for the most part. What I'm saying in my long winded way is try lots of experiences find what's best for your brain and take others opinions as they come.
^^ that there ^^ Different strokes for different folks. For instance I use Bk during the day. Some save it for night, because they fall flat on their arse with it. Me it's the opposite. Our chemistry does play a role in all this that nobody wants to discuss.

Many only smoke (I believe) a few varieties. I rotate 15 of them, mixing the daily/night strains as not to develop a "penchant" or tolerance to that particular combo, which I spend a week on. Different combo the following week. Been using daily for the last 2 years and haven't seen any tolerance issues yet. Mind you, ea mari-pill weighs in @ 0.25-0.28g. If for some reason that particular day seems not to get off on the right track, I'll vape a bowl of the same strain, to put me there, while waiting for my pill for lift off, both day and night.

I also noticed that some weeks, thew same previous combo had different effects. Cancers are greatly affected by the moon cycles.

Azeotrope

Veteran
To be honest you are acting like a fanboy too. Like an Ace groupie :biggrin:

But I have the same opinion on the commercial varieties. They are all boring and the effect lasts only 30min then it begins to fade off. And with tolerence won't get better.

May be you should post this thread in the Ace forum if you want a constructive discussion, as they are using some of the plants you have listed.

It's known I guess, that few decades of incest and selecting for the same traits all the time, hasen't done the things really better. For Instagram may be yes, for the dealers too, but not for everything.

I'm not an Ace "fan boy". I'm a fan of options that aren't a bottlenecked mash-up of the same few genomes all overly interbred.

I'll agree with those that mention growing methods/skill as a factor. To some degree. The best flower comes from an extremely diverse and living organic chemistry. Nothing bottled. I've had great looking runs with various styles of hydro and spent quite a few years with one area of my growing set aside for DWT coco. Beautiful plants every time. Just not the same. Even "so called" organic that comes from a bottle. Lighting makes a huge difference as well. HPS &/or LED won't make top quality flower either.

Again, the seed market if flooded with a lack of diversity, too much indica (boring), too many fem seeds (that bottlenecks the genes), and auto garbage.

Azeotrope

Veteran
I hear you man also with the golden tiger as far as I can understand have been 3 different different generations, I'm hoping good lies within the thai varieties for me. things are very bleak in my country as we have allowed for the sale of CBD products about 2 years ago and I think all of the commercial growers jumped onto the bandwagon and just started pollen chucking without realising high CBD strains just increase your resistance overall, I can't remember the last time I felt truly high or even stoned, just brief interludes when I get new stuff in.

I think I have a good selection for this upcoming year but it's also stuff I have never tried so I have to rely on what I read from everyone. It's a long list I might have to do them over the next 2 years:biggrin: The SAS is real

Just an edit from my previous statement, in reality I am not looking for stuff that will be so strong that it will incapacitate me from working, I work for myself and I have to avoid couchlock strains or I will never get anything done. The stuff we get here literally lasts about 30-40 min max if you don't abuse it and have a huge rotation of strains to choose from, which we luckily do but I could also be missing what these guys are doing and maybe they are smart enough to sell us stuff that just makes you consume more of it the whole time, just equals a higher sales volume.

YES, YES, YES to your thoughts on CBD! It fricking ruins the effects and the more it is studied, the more we know about how it is not really all that medically beneficial. It has been way overhyped and it flat out ruins the high when present in flower.

Azeotrope

Veteran
What a negative low vibration thread. One of the lowest vibe posts I have ever seen on the internet. You really got problems dude. You MUST be a miserable person to be around. Im going to go try to salvage my morning and wipe out your negative influence. What a shit thread there are way better ways to present that information/opinion.

I'm not known as negative. This isn't emotional for me. If my thoughts on a subject not related to you, not condemning of or judging someone, bring you down then I don't know what to say. I'm not calling names, accusing others of anything, degrading anyone, or otherwise trying to bring anyone down. I titled the thread "Is it me? Or......" essentially saying; I have this opinion or thoughts, what are yours? So, do you have something constructive to add or are you just here to try and bring me down and suggest that I must be miserable?

G

growhigh1233

ace are nice and a great sativa resource but there not the be all and end all .....in fact imo the best sativa offering on the market today is a fem and from a much disliked seed bank, a seed bank who follow trends !!

therevverend

Veteran
Ace will always have a place and they're good at what they do. They came along at the right time, when people were getting interested in tropical type genetics that weren't as Afghan dominated. Most of us in Europe or America aren't able to grow tropical varieties outdoors and they're a bitch to grow indoors. The long flowering times, shitty yield, difficulty in cloning, and tricky soil and nutrient requirements make them impossible to grow without a greenhouse or a great deal of experience.

Ace has made a sampling of these sort of genetics accessible to the average grower. There's a lot of inbreeding in their strains, there has to be to make a strain like Malawi doable indoors. Probably a bit of Dutch type indoor genetics got crossed in over the years. When you're selecting for indoor type traits you also get 'Indica' type traits, bigger wider leaves, higher potency, stockier plants. Their Malawi is a good example. You see it in threads here all the time, someone will say they have 'Panama Red' for instance, kept pure indoors for 30 years. Then post pictures of a wide leaf type plant and 20 people will post calling bullshit. It might be bullshit but it also might be selection for indoor traits. My opinion is a lot of inbreeding along with a bit of 'accidental hermie' pollen...

I wouldn't take to much notice of a single persons opinion on the internet.

What a negative low vibration thread. One of the lowest vibe posts I have ever seen on the internet. You really got problems dude.

Ha ha we all have our own opinions, part of the reason places like this exist is to vent your frustration, see if there's other people that think like you and hear the criticism as well. Give you and others something to think about. Azeotrope comes off as a bit of a snob but I understand getting frustrated with commercial offerings. Dispensary ganja starts to all look and smell the same after a while. Glad I don't need it. Where it gets problematic is telling everyone that our tastes are garbage, that only the chosen few have seen the light and know The Way. There's always threads in a similar vein but there seem to be more lately. What I always find ironic is what I said earlier, about how some of the very hated and despised genetics tend to seep into everything.

This makes me very sad to hear, I'm not too concerned about taste but I was under the impression his strains were supposed to get you high even if you abused them.
I did say there's exceptions, I wouldn't write off all of Ace's stuff. My enjoyment of Ace is probably at it's lowest ebb right now. I've tried Bangi Haze twice now and both times it's molded terribly. Octobers here are always bad but that's the reason I wanted to run the Bangi, since landraces tend to be mold resistant. Especially Himalayan ones. My Bangi last year was a beauty, 10 feet tall and a really interesting phenotype. The buds were small and leafy but had a wonderful fruity tropical smell but I probably got an 1/8 of smokeable ganja. The other time the smoke was good but nothing special or unique, the plant was girdled by stem rot.

I had a friend fuck up a Black Viet x Meao Thai seed project last year, he lost the strain and Ace doesn't carry it anymore. Beautiful early finishing Thai dominate plant with an interesting smell. That's one line I'd pick up again if I had the opportunity.

I tried Zamaldelica for the first time a while back. I'd been wanting to try it for a long time. The grower did a great job, tasty hashy piney smells. It was a good phenotype, got me baked, but had an unpleasant body high. Like I get sometimes when I overdose on eating ganja. In the lower pit of my stomach and back, it wasn't painful but it was a distraction. Might be responsible for some of the 'bad trip' reviews. If it wasn't for the body effect I'd rate it as one of Ace's best. Of course other people may not experience the same way, and there may be other phenos with better effects.

The taste and look reminded me of the hybrids my friends from the midwest would grow, when the amount of Mexican genetics in stuff was still noticeable. I miss that stuff sometimes.

Do you really think the GG's, Cookies and co do merit more to be sticked on the top of a "marijuana Strains and Breeding" forum section than Haze, Skunk or NL?

Good for if you like and enjoy growing, smoking and breeding (with) Cookies and GG That stuff is easy to find nowadays.

Those are all great classic names and strains, don't understand what the point is. Doesn't stuff go to the top of lists by how recently it's been posted about? Haze seems to be the big thing right now, all I see is haze, haze, haze. A lot of it has to be bullshit but some of it is great. I'd like to get a good Silver Haze again, that stuff has some great resin. Actually quite a bit like the Gorilla Glue, the same silver color that's instantly noticeable when you see a plant growing. Along with the White stuff the flavor ebbs and flows but where it really shines is hash making. The problem with Hazes is that they push the finishing date outdoors towards November which becomes problematic. Northern Lights and Skunk are the strains the Sativa lovers love to hate, they've infiltrated almost every strain on the planet.

For a long time I thought the cookies were overrated, bland and boring. Then I tried the best from a real grower and I was impressed. It's been around long enough now it's like Haze or OG or others, it's not so much a strain as a type of strain. A type of plant and taste and effect. Whether the plant itself shares the genes it's hard to say. Or a strain like Bangi where there's no connection to Haze at all.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I don't want to come across as trashing commercial growers here but they be hard pressed to compete with a grower that is growing for them self's.

You wont get them running lots of seed to find expositional plants of a given strain most will just run clone plants from strains that are popular at a given time.

They are more interested in bag appeal yield and time of flowering and taste than they are potency and duration of affect.

The commercial sk here looks great but its weak cannabis and most complain they build a tolerance half way threw an oz of it.

I cant comment on ace seed as i have not grown any of there lines but a few growers seam happy with there harvests.

Sounds like you need a good haze hybrid.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Maybe I made a mistake in mentioning only Ace? I have run a wide selection from DJ, Reeferman, Dr. Atomic (many yrs ago), Joey Weed, johnny Blaze from ? (Memory is gone) was my all time favorite, Nirvana, Rez, The original NL5xNevHaze, several locals from my hometown of Seattle back in the day, Sweet Island skunk, and.......

Now days I can't always have a large garden and I do really like to run longer flowering sativas, so occasionally I'll hit some commercial from a neighboring state. Or while traveling and not wanting to transport large amounts of homegrown, I'll just shop in rhe roll. Trying a wide variety and really having run through the list I started this thread with has left me in dismay. The amount of indica in everything is sad. The similarities in effect, as in a basic head lock, body lock, sleep stone is evident.

To the comment regarding ling flowering times or not having the climate/season for sats, indoors is really quite easy. Even with thai, viet black, malawi, or whatever. You just can't run chems/hydro/HPS or LED lighting and hit it right.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Yes, Ace has inbred their lines to eliminate undesirable traits like hermies and such. When I talk about inbred/bottlenecked, I mean like all of the commercial lines and all of the lines where someone thought tossing some pollen around with some big names as parents must make killer weed and then they call themself a breeder and bamn! Let's all have some mint cookies or gorilla cookies or whatever....... this shit is all just an unknown mix of the same garbled up gene pool. Nothing is fresh. None of the highs are really highs. Just boring empty dull brain and couchlock. Skittles? Berry what? What berry? Come on. What the hell Genetic lines - TRAITS - are you actually working and selling? What is the breeder's goal? Is there a goal in terms of terpines? In terms of effect? Or is it just to Combine a couple of well known lines so you can call it your own and use a cute name?

This is my opinion. I think weed should be fun and wacky! It should make you laugh, giggle, lose track of your thoughts because they wander and not because you fell asleep. I couldn't give a &$@! if it smells like berries or barf.

It is only that. I'll leave it at that.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The love we put into growing will def show when we harvest. commercial weed doesn't get the same love. Knowing what top shelf means goes far. Most of the really good exotics is sold to black market. Legal wont buy from anyone that doesn't have a licensees so they miss all of that good. Once your in the 30% range its the cannabinoids/terps that will enhance the effects the most. If you have a high tolerance doesn't matter what your flowers you use. Time to move on to Concentrates.

therevverend

Veteran
Azeotrope, I'm guessing you've checked out Kiona's stuff already. If you haven't, give them a try next time you're in Washington. I'd be surprised if you don't find something you approve of.

sdd420

Veteran
Azeotrope, I'm guessing you've checked out Kiona's stuff already. If you haven't, give them a try next time you're in Washington. I'd be surprised if you don't find something you approve of.

Try the Mexican death sativa or the Oaxacan Mullum cross

Red October

ace are nice and a great sativa resource but there not the be all and end all .....in fact imo the best sativa offering on the market today is a fem and from a much disliked seed bank, a seed bank who follow trends !!
do you mean mango Thai? saw you talking about it highly in another thread and i'm just wondering.

Red October

Does kiona do anything in seed form? seen some of their cuts being used in other crosses but I don't fully understand how the american market works with companies like this.

lLucky

I definitely feel you on the commercialization of the cannabis market and a lot of the hyped up strains being related to each other and not as impressive as they are advertised to be.

However I still think there's great smoke and many great strains/phenos within those kind of strains you listed.

Would really like to see breeders try harder to create something unique and put effort into their lines instead of crossing X with X constantly with strains usually related to each other, definitely some bottle necking going on with cannabis as a whole imo.

Red October

I did say there's exceptions, I wouldn't write off all of Ace's stuff. My enjoyment of Ace is probably at it's lowest ebb right now. I've tried Bangi Haze twice now and both times it's molded terribly. Octobers here are always bad but that's the reason I wanted to run the Bangi, since landraces tend to be mold resistant. Especially Himalayan ones. My Bangi last year was a beauty, 10 feet tall and a really interesting phenotype. The buds were small and leafy but had a wonderful fruity tropical smell but I probably got an 1/8 of smokeable ganja. The other time the smoke was good but nothing special or unique, the plant was girdled by stem rot.

I had a friend fuck up a Black Viet x Meao Thai seed project last year, he lost the strain and Ace doesn't carry it anymore. Beautiful early finishing Thai dominate plant with an interesting smell. That's one line I'd pick up again if I had the opportunity.

I tried Zamaldelica for the first time a while back. I'd been wanting to try it for a long time. The grower did a great job, tasty hashy piney smells. It was a good phenotype, got me baked, but had an unpleasant body high. Like I get sometimes when I overdose on eating ganja. In the lower pit of my stomach and back, it wasn't painful but it was a distraction. Might be responsible for some of the 'bad trip' reviews. If it wasn't for the body effect I'd rate it as one of Ace's best. Of course other people may not experience the same way, and there may be other phenos with better effects.

I've tried to be quite selective of the varieties I'm doing from ACE, I like the Thai Chi and the bangi haze feedback the most from what I've read from other growers, then CBN destroyer for a more sativa Thai representation and then a wild card from Anesia seeds Purple Thai, which is supposed to be Oaxacan x Thai but with a 80/20 sativa mix I'm taking that with a pinch of salt.

Another member did mention to me that Mad Macs Zamal MC x TTH would be a better representation of zamal compared to Zamdelica as it was less worked, this sounded very exciting when first mentioned but the realisation that true Zamal plants will probably need 20 weeks+ to finish has put a bit of a stop to that as I don't have the setup/patients to do plants that long and our weather here will allow for a good 16-17 weeks but no more reality.

I hope some new work comes out of the vietnamese black, seems alot of interest in the strain right now. Doc D is doing some stuff with the Vietnam Black 164 (Kiona Cut)which sounds very good from the little feedback I could find on it

G

growhigh1233

do you mean mango Thai? saw you talking about it highly in another thread and i'm just wondering.

naaa i have no first hand experience with mango thai ....yet !

im talking about 'desfran' from dutch passion ..............its an exceptionally flavored pheno of destroyer from cannbiogen .................which is pretty controversial in its self !! .....its basically a straight rip off of cannabiogens work.!! no cross involved just a straight destroyer x destroyer rip off !!...............its exceptional stuff tho ...i have to speak the truth as i see it

Red October

naaa i have no first hand experience with mango thai ....yet !

im talking about 'desfran' from dutch passion ..............its an exceptionally flavored pheno of destroyer from cannbiogen

Thanks man, I got the feeling with desfran that it would be similar to arjans haze in the sense you'd have to look quite hard to find a good pheno, when you find them they are fantastic. couldn't find many "reliable" reports and I did quite a bit of research at one point as I was either going to get desfran or destroyer. Landed up with two packs of the destroyer hoping to find some good males and females for other breeding stuff.

I have no idea what I am getting myself into but I am looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Latest posts