What's new

Info on The Real Seed Company?

Old Piney

I'm looking for recommendations on which TRSC plants will best handle high humidity.
I have experience with Kumaoni and it tolerated high humidity and rain . It's cold here when it's flowering that might have helped but I believe Kumaoni , as well as all the others you mentioned, will it will do just fine. grow what you like. I believe in general sativas with loose flowers are mold resistant .It's all a learning experience, take a chance you might be surprised.I did when I grew Moroccan Beldia in soaking-wet New Jersey with no problems

p59teitel

Hello Maria,

For high humidity anything from Himalaya, Tropical Africa, Tropical India and SE Asia is good while Middle east and Hindu Kush strains should be avoided like the plague.

I have dealt with the colder version of high humidity and I can attest the Himalayan ones perform quite well.
I’m at 42N along the SE Massachusetts, USA coast and our fall seasons are rainy and foggy at precisely the worst time for flowers.

In my experience you can get away with growing Hindu Kush strains in a wet fall climate, but you have to be crazy vigilant about bud rot and spray frequently and continually during flower with a light peroxide solution (and also B.t. at the first sign of any caterpillars).

TRSC Tirah and Waziri both have pretty good mold resistance and I’ve been able to harvest 95% or more of the flowers from both. The Tirah in particular was not attractive to caterpillars, which was interesting as they were a real nuisance on a different female right next to them. Both have Sativa-ish characteristics with spiral flowers on long rangey colas, and can finish by late October. The Tirah got gigantic, as in 15 feet tall with 10 foot branches, and the biggest Waziri Repro I grew last year was close to 9 feet.

Last edited:

p59teitel

I should add that I put about a third of the Tirah crop from 8 females into jars to cure and dried the rest to sift as hash in the winter. I did not find cured Tirah flower all that enjoyable to smoke (although I have friends who raved about a couple of the individual plants), but the dry-sift hash is an excellent nightcap right before I go to bed.

The Waziri on the other hand is fun flower to smoke - and I’m a hash guy who likes very little flower. I’ve been growing repros from seeds collected there in I think 2019 that I grew in 2020, and the F1s have stayed true to their parents. The garlic pheno is the one to seek. The bracts cure to a golden color that reminds me of the Colombia and Acapulco Golds back in the 70s. The effects are slightly euphoric and uplifting, and make me want to run around and do stuff. And my brain still works pretty well on it, too. It’s the favorite thing I’ve grown so far.

Old Piney

B.t. at the first sign of any caterpillars).
I grow in a similar climate and have grown plenty of Hindu kush strains. I have found that almost all the gray mold is caused by the damn cabbage worms ( that's what they are , the little inchworms ) bt is the ticket. I haven't tried the peroxide but I use a week baking soda solution to raise the ph a bit for powdery mildew .I gotta try that wazire sounds cool

Maria Sanchez

Thanks for everyone's replies to my question!

Good morning maria. I have some trsc seeds but i haven't actually grown them yet. the other members you tagged would know for sure. Good luck!

Hey there @RobFromTX -- do you select your seeds by your climate? What did you get?

I've grown the kumaoni once but two plants. They performed ok and the effects were very light. The environment was pretty humid as I had moved tent locations. I'm growing out a Lao sa now that looks to be a male. No smells yet, mildly floral.

Hello @GreenAndFast -- you mention your tent, so I'm guessing you're indoors, yah?
What levels of RH do you get? I'm expecting constant days of 80%-95%, no joke...
No mold on the Kumaoni, huh? Please keep me posted about the Lao Sa, as I'm interested in that, too?

Hello Maria,

For high humidity anything from Himalaya, Tropical Africa, Tropical India and SE Asia is good while Middle east and Hindu Kush strains should be avoided like the plague.

I have dealt with the colder version of high humidity and I can attest the Himalayan ones perform quite well.

Thank you @Lebanizer -- that's pretty much what I was thinking.
I think you'll have colder temps than I, but what % on the RH do you hit in flowering?

I have experience with Kumaoni and it tolerated high humidity and rain . It's cold here when it's flowering that might have helped but I believe Kumaoni , as well as all the others you mentioned, will it will do just fine. grow what you like. I believe in general sativas with loose flowers are mold resistant .It's all a learning experience, take a chance you might be surprised.I did when I grew Moroccan Beldia in soaking-wet New Jersey with no problems

Hey there @Old Piney -- that's good info on the Kumaoni.
How cold and wet, like what % RH do you hit, during late flower?
I'm always willing to take a chance, but still want something that's less risk.
One of my better autos was a big old Dutch Passion Auto Mazar, that finished last of a big batch in an extremely wet season (rain, fog, clouds every day for the last four weeks of flower), without a spot of mold on her. Everything else caught it!

I’m at 42N along the SE Massachusetts, USA coast and our fall seasons are rainy and foggy at precisely the worst time for flowers.

In my experience you can get away with growing Hindu Kush strains in a wet fall climate, but you have to be crazy vigilant about bud rot and spray frequently and continually during flower with a light peroxide solution (and also B.t. at the first sign of any caterpillars).

TRSC Tirah and Waziri both have pretty good mold resistance and I’ve been able to harvest 95% or more of the flowers from both. The Tirah in particular was not attractive to caterpillars, which was interesting as they were a real nuisance on a different female right next to them. Both have Sativa-ish characteristics with spiral flowers on long rangey colas, and can finish by late October. The Tirah got gigantic, as in 15 feet tall with 10 foot branches, and the biggest Waziri Repro I grew last year was close to 9 feet.

Hello @p59teitel -- I feel for you with the rains leading up to harvest time!
I won't be able to manage them like you do, though. Massachusetts, you're a legal state, yah?
Just how cold and wet do you get, there?
Due to the lay of the land here, I'll be trying to set them growing and visiting as seldom as I can...
Those are some big plants!

I should add that I put about a third of the Tirah crop from 8 females into jars to cure and dried the rest to sift as hash in the winter. I did not find cured Tirah flower all that enjoyable to smoke (although I have friends who raved about a couple of the individual plants), but the dry-sift hash is an excellent nightcap right before I go to bed.

The Waziri on the other hand is fun flower to smoke - and I’m a hash guy who likes very little flower. I’ve been growing repros from seeds collected there in I think 2019 that I grew in 2020, and the F1s have stayed true to their parents. The garlic pheno is the one to seek. The bracts cure to a golden color that reminds me of the Colombia and Acapulco Golds back in the 70s. The effects are slightly euphoric and uplifting, and make me want to run around and do stuff. And my brain still works pretty well on it, too. It’s the favorite thing I’ve grown so far.

Sounds great. The Colombian and Acapulco sound very tasty.

I grow in a similar climate and have grown plenty of Hindu kush strains. I have found that almost all the gray mold is caused by the damn cabbage worms ( that's what they are , the little inchworms ) bt is the ticket. I haven't tried the peroxide but I use a week baking soda solution to raise the ph a bit for powdery mildew .I gotta try that wazire sounds cool

Are those the caterpillars from the white cabbage butterflies?
Surprisingly I don't get many bugs on my plants here.
I will remember that baking soda solution idea for PM.

Thanks everyone!!

Maria Sanchez

Next question, for the experts:
How good is TRSC stealth packaging?

I don't want to know the exact details, and definitely no photos, please!

But how good is it? Like, did you even have trouble finding the beans in the package?
Or just the usual stealth methods? Or barely concealed at all?

Where I am, a discovered package does not just result in a polite letter from customs.
They call you in and issue a warrant if you don't show...

Thanks!

Dentex

Hello @Maria Sanchez ! I was going to mention Lao Sa and then I saw Angus suggested it as well.It isn't really bulky and its structure of flowers seems that it wouldn't have an issue with moulds.The Lao Gold on the other hand,is too bulky and it would not be my first choice.Just one plant grown keep in mind.

Regarding the packaging,for me it has been very stealthy and I don't think it's easy to intercept.The concept is that they will probably will not bother to open and search in the package it arrives,because of the type of pack in which arrives..In the pack itself is not too hard to find them iirc.

Old Piney

How cold and wet,
For Kumanoi in October - November it's a mix some days of rain and some crisp with little humidity. There's a heavy dew every night , average high RH is 87%. kumanoi has handled several frosts with no problem, it's chilly at night. All together probably not too much different its native mountain home .What amazes me is the Morrocan from the desert flowering here in late August with rain ,dew and RH at 90 % not having problems.

Old Piney

But how good is it? Like, did you even have trouble finding the beans in the package?

Where I am, a discovered package does not just result in a polite letter from customs.

Thanks!

sleazyB

Thanks!
You will get them . Just got mine . Deep Chunk and Panshir. Took about 3 weeks from payment to door.

aliceklar

Hey there peoples!

I'm looking for recommendations on which TRSC plants will best handle high humidity.
On the TRSC and Kwik sites, the Dakshinkali, Nanda Devi, Nanda Devi #2, Kumaoni, and the latest Nepalese Mountain Ganja, as well as the Congolese, are all listed as having good performance in high humidity.
It's interesting that most of those are Himalayan landraces, except the African.
I also wrote TRSC and Angus also mentioned the Kerala, Perhaps the Lao Sa, or Colombia 90.

I'd just like to hear from those of you who have grown in high humidity, especially outdoors.

My grow will be about about 25 N, low forested/jungle mountain area.
Climate type is Humid Subtropical Cfa -- hot and humid summers, cooler humid winters, no dry season.
Summer high around mids 30s, constant 35C for weeks, and winter over-night lows maybe 12C-15C.

I have some experience, not a newbie. Did indoors in the 90s with local and Dutch strains (NL, Afghani, Silver Pearl) for a few years in my own country. Restarted a few years ago in this country, using sativa dominant autoflowers, but most were prone to mold. Had some success with La Buena Hierba's Auto Jack Herer and Photo Thai Gold. (Have also grown in the UK, but that's a totally different climate.)

Looking to grow landrace sativas with open floral structures. Would prefer something that isn't a 6 month total cycle like most SE Asian Thai / Lao / Cambodian landraces, but still willing to give it a try. The Himalayans look good to me because their latitude is similar to mine, and short cycles to harvest.

Now I shall risk the wrath of the moderators by wildly tagging a bunch of people who post in this thread...
@squatty @nono_fr @RobFromTX @need4weed @yesum @Dentex @aliceklar @Donald Mallard @wutwut @Lebanizer @Old Piney @funkyhorse
Hi Maria. I've grown Highland Thai and Johaar. Neither suffered from mould, even in cramped, humid environments. Both are big plants, v stretchy, and would grow huge outdoors. Neither are fast finishers.

Dentex

Lao Gold harvested at 13+ weeks 11/13 .Smells sweet and kind of butter/lemonish.
nCc0LCm.jpg
HrGA6mN.jpg

OFFV7SG.jpg

Another one still going,a couple more weeks maybe
kjJaV5A.jpg

KH3neIE.jpg
grcMowa.jpg

Mango Thai
4mQkxck.jpg

Lao Sa
SaV1PJF.jpg
Y34r6vw.jpg

Kalamata Red harvested at 9 weeks .Pretty happy with her,I d have kept longer but started spewing nanas.
tD8wFDG.jpg
5Lyq5mQ.jpg

Maria Sanchez

Hola everyone!

Hello @Maria Sanchez ! I was going to mention Lao Sa and then I saw Angus suggested it as well.It isn't really bulky and its structure of flowers seems that it wouldn't have an issue with moulds.The Lao Gold on the other hand,is too bulky and it would not be my first choice.Just one plant grown keep in mind.

Yeah, I've seen a couple more pictures around of the Lao Sa, and it's looking like a good option, especially at the low low price, haha!
Will keep that in mind about the Lao Gold.

For Kumanoi in October - November it's a mix some days of rain and some crisp with little humidity. There's a heavy dew every night , average high RH is 87%. kumanoi has handled several frosts with no problem, it's chilly at night. All together probably not too much different its native mountain home .What amazes me is the Morrocan from the desert flowering here in late August with rain ,dew and RH at 90 % not having problems.

Oh yeah, that sounds like my kind of humidity, probably not so cold for me, though. Just wet wet wet and fog and rain. Definitely never any frosts here!

I had pretty high humidity for most of the late stage of flower. It turned a blueberry to complete mold. 80+. I'd say.

Poor Miss Blueberry.... may she go to a better place!
Okay, RH 80% resistant, I like the sound of this.

Hi Maria. I've grown Highland Thai and Johaar. Neither suffered from mould, even in cramped, humid environments. Both are big plants, v stretchy, and would grow huge outdoors. Neither are fast finishers.

The Thais (and Lao, etc.) sound very tempting.
I enjoy Thai and Cambodian (when living there) -- happy pizza, anyone? -- but not sure if I want the really long flowering times. Still, good to know how they do against the dreaded botrytis. Thanks!

Regarding the packaging,for me it has been very stealthy and I don't think it's easy to intercept.The concept is that they will probably will not bother to open and search in the package it arrives,because of the type of pack in which arrives..In the pack itself is not too hard to find them iirc.

Good to hear!

How good is TRSC stealth packaging? I will just say very good don't want to disclose any secrets

Don't mention the secrets!

Stealth is excellent and you will find the seeds.

Great. Oh yes, I will find those seeds...

You will get them . Just got mine . Deep Chunk and Panshir. Took about 3 weeks from payment to door.

Good for you. Happy growing!

Thanks everyone.

george7

Hallo fellow landrace enthusiasts..Out of all the himalayan lines i suspect the Dakshinkali and the nepalese mountain ganja would be the easiest and most manageable to run indoors? As they are much earlier flowering than the rest? Anyone running these indoors atm?

Lebanizer

A bit of an update on the Freakshow x Subterfuge (ABC) cross that I posted about above.

Vape report:

I had to leave home for some days due to a professional trip. She was left to dry in an open door closet. When I returned the air had turned stuffy and I needed to open the window. An unmistakable Afghan funk was hovering in the appartement, not strong but definitely there. A naive nose could have not paid attention and just complain about the musty smell, but a ganja familiar nose couldn’t escape the obvious conclusion: there’s cannabis in this place !

The plant is fairly resinous and the bud aroma is pure lemoney afghan funk, when vaped it’s more sort of geranium and crude incense with a slight lemoney afghan funk in the background. That may change with a decent curing, but it’s actually quite pleasant to vape as it is. Potency is decent medium. High is everything I dislike:
  • couch lock,
  • makes you lazy,
  • gives untamable crazy munchies,
  • very sedative and you end up noding off.
Total fail. It would be a great plant if you were looking to make dark brown sedative hash. Not as good as Northern Lights though. For the sake of it I’m going to grow one F2 plant to check the leaf mutation and see if she has any breeding potential but the the high in itself is an absolute no for me ! I have about 40 seeds from this one female. Enough to experiment.

Last edited:

p59teitel

Been there done that with successfully growing weed I end up not liking to smoke lol - except for me it’s usually in the other direction, I don’t like it when it’s too zippy. But sometimes I’ll like it as hash.

Posted this update on the winter windowsill plant abuse projects on the Afghan Mix page -

And have the following TRSC youngsters going outside in ground this year

Panjshir -

IMG_5478.jpeg

Dakshinkali

IMG_5489.jpeg

And also 4 Rasoli, 2 of them are taking right off and the other two had some albino weirdness hit the first set of actual leaves, one kept its meristem and grew normal leaves after the odd ones fizzled, the other one split into two main stems -

IMG_5490.jpeg
IMG_5491.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5476.jpeg
    IMG_5476.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Latest posts