What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Afghan Mix (TRSC)

Stocktont

Veteran
Thanks man.

"I think a lot of the commercial afghani types could do well with some new blood from that side of the family."

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you have in mind, but... for a couple years now I have been wanting to do an all fem grow. At first I was going to use only offerings from Ace, then Chimera, then CannaVenture, and so on (couldn't make up my mind). Then thoughts of a hodgepodge, but as of yet nothing has come together. The thought of not having to worry about male/female ratios messing up the amount of space I have to work with is very appealing. So this Afghan Mix male - sometimes you just have to go with your gut - has helped determine the makeup of an all fem grow. I kicked it off last night by starting to soak the following seeds:

(3) Pre '98 Bubba Kush S1 [VG]
(3) POG x HK [Cultivator's Choice]
(3) L.A. Affie S1 [CannaVenture]
(3) HashPlant S1 [Ace]

They were transferred this morning into paper towels. I will not try to replace any that do not germinate so at most there will be 12 girls in a 4 x 4 tent, but I am thinking it will be fewer as I am bound to have some not germinate. We'll see. I am guessing there will be a girl or two in there that might seemingly make sense to impregnate with AMM as the pollen donor.

Don't have a Diesel cut but do have a Chem '91 S1 cut... it grew nicely for a seed plant, had good resin coverage and has a muted chemmy taste but the flowers themselves are not loud. (have Rusty's ECSD S1 offering in the vault though)

Hard to pin down a specific aroma... but as the time to collect approached I was opening the tent often to smell and try to think of what I might be smelling... by the end the best I could come up with was Play-Doh, if that makes any sense. :)

Hi.

Yea that was the sort of thing I was talking about, sounds like a real nice project. The 91 s1 would be a good type for sure if it is anything like mom. But of course it also depends on the male combining with the females, always exiting to see :)

All the best with the project and happy new year!

synthesis_314

Just thought I'd put this up as its a afghan kush pure indica. This plant is 46 days into flowering and looks ready but I'm going to give it another week at least. Next grow I'll be popping the afghan mix seeds but that may not be for a month or two. View attachment 17918324 View attachment 17918325
Heck yeah! Just popped 6 into towels.
20230130_110933.jpg

p59teitel

Here are some update photos from my annual winter windowsill plant abuse project. Ended up with 4 Afghan Mix females, no males. In the group pic below the bushy little plant on the right is a cross of Baaba Qo’s Rustam Kush x Sholgar from a seed that popped a viable root tail while still on the mother plant, and the others are the Afghan Mix.

One plant is a claw-footed little weirdo that stays that way regardless of whether I drown it or dry it out. Two of the others want to have yellowish foliage for whatever reason; given how green the other plants are I don’t think it’s a lack of nutrition but who knows. They all have lanky, spare structures with some curves in the main stems. Odor still faint but getting some nice sweet diesel and spice scents on the flowers.

A couple of weeks I took away the supplemental light I’d been giving them - they had preflowered and I want these done so I don’t have to deal with them after my outdoor crop goes in the ground mid-May. They are still continuing to stretch a bit. At some point in a month or so I’ll start pulling them off the windowsill and putting them in the dark cellar so they don’t kick back into veg as the days lengthen.

FA8D1BC2-BCDA-4275-A312-FE0B5F9FB54F.jpeg
90A19477-8A81-48FD-88AE-FFAE741B0F7B.jpeg
836C2404-D159-4E75-B0BD-E8CAB47DB441.jpeg
412ECE57-5C31-416F-B33B-C417A681196F.jpeg

FFB1874A-5624-4646-9655-987C82F51562.jpeg

p59teitel

Flowering update: about 25 days in. I’m thinking another 6-7 weeks so on track for the sought-after mid May finish. The two tall plants are over 2 feet and still stretching a little. The one on the far right has much tighter node spacing than the other. The little clawfoot weirdo is coming along. No hermie issues whatsoever. Starting to smell a little tar here and a little citrus there. Next week I will cut back on daylight by putting them in the cellar for a couple hours each morning so they don’t try to re-veg on me.

Still thinking over my plans for the outdoors and am considering running the other pack I have of this mix as my final roster addition.

Finally, if anyone is interested I’ll be postimg info on the Baaba Qo Selections thread about my fifth winter windowsill plant, an intentional cross between Rustam Kush and Sholgar where the seed popped while still on the plant.
F17F4A52-D5C0-4726-8776-AB51DEE40A87.jpeg
E03B2621-7FDA-4458-9BD2-E8BF2C5A95E4.jpeg
52A87882-D740-4D9E-850E-6528E75F625B.jpeg
6CE151E1-0678-425B-B773-31135E623DE9.jpeg
13E80C54-D03A-4B61-8D37-FD441C97643E.jpeg

p59teitel

The 4 Afghan Mix winter windowsill plants are still at it, I’m cutting down on their day length by putting them in the cellar each night and giving them reduced daylight. The bracts are still expanding so I’ll keep on until I see some amber trichs.

The two tallest are quite resinous and sticky. This one has a laundry freshener scent -

IMG_5479.jpeg
IMG_5483.jpeg

This one has a lemon cleaner scent, I love it when the sugar leaves get frosted like this and get the labia ruffled thing going on -

IMG_5480.jpeg

IMG_5484.jpeg

The other two stayed short and aren’t quite as sticky, this one has a spicy grapey smell -

IMG_5485.jpeg

And the shorty of the bunch smells like some rose-scented lotion Gramma would have kicking around back in the day for your sunburn -

IMG_5486.jpeg

acespicoli

The 4 Afghan Mix winter windowsill plants are still at it, I’m cutting down on their day length by putting them in the cellar each night and giving them reduced daylight. The bracts are still expanding so I’ll keep on until I see some amber trichs.

The two tallest are quite resinous and sticky. This one has a laundry freshener scent -

View attachment 18839210 View attachment 18839211

This one has a lemon cleaner scent, I love it when the sugar leaves get frosted like this and get the labia ruffled thing going on -

View attachment 18839214

View attachment 18839212

The other two stayed short and aren’t quite as sticky, this one has a spicy grapey smell -

View attachment 18839218

And the shorty of the bunch smells like some rose-scented lotion Gramma would have kicking around back in the day for your sunburn -

View attachment 18839220
This years window sill project is coming to the end how much longer till they finish you think?
Nice mix :love: love the smell descriptions nice way to remember your grows
Has anyone found any super mold resistant Affies in the mix ? I know the native climate isnt really conducive

Last edited:

p59teitel

This years window sill project is coming to the end how much longer till they finish you think?
Nice mix :love: love the smell descriptions nice way to remember your grows
Has anyone found any super mold resistant Affies in the mix ? I know the native climate isnt really conducive
Maybe two more weeks? I like to get them to where they have about 20% amber trichs but the bracts are still plumping up even with diminished light.

I generally don’t have mold issues on the windowsill, so not a proving ground in that regard. Thinking of running my other Afghan Mix pack outdoors next year, where they would have to fight through the usual fall monsoon/thunderstorms/tropical storms to get to the finish line.

Running 2 TRSC Himalayas outdoors this year, curious to see how Dakshinkali and Rasoli handle the soggy fall and if they finish earlier than the Afghanis and Pakistanis I’ve run that have all gone deep into October (and in some cases well into November). It’s always a case of trying to pound the square peg into the round hole when you grow around here lol

p59teitel

Well the bell tolled today for the 4 Afghan Mix girls started 12-2-22. I think they did pretty well considering the grueling conditions on the windowsill. Smell is floral like household cleaners or laundry freshener, accents run from rose to grape. Plant on right is Rustam Kush x Sholgar cross, that one is gassy citrus.

Before the chop -

IMG_5791.jpeg

Post-haircut -

IMG_5797.jpeg

Hung out to dry -

IMG_5799.jpeg

IMG_5800.jpeg
IMG_5801.jpeg
IMG_5804.jpeg
IMG_5805.jpeg

Last edited:

aliceklar

Well the bell tolled today for the 4 Afghan Mix girls started 12-2-22. I think they did pretty well considering the grueling conditions on the windowsill. Smell is floral like household cleaners or laundry freshener, accents run from rose to grape. Plant on right is Rustam Kush x Sholgar cross, that one is gassy citrus.

Post-haircut -

View attachment 18849644

Nice one. Impressive for a windowsill. They are interesting plants eh? - great mix of terps, and I found them pretty tolerant of some mistreatment from me. I might pop the rest this fall, still got a full pack left. Then I'll have a few different lines to take forward.

p59teitel

I tried some flower last night. Quite sticky and resinous. Not a fan of most flower - I vastly prefer hash, and this was no exception taste-wise as I found it acrid and harsh on the throat. Maybe it will smooth out a bit after more than a couple weeks of cure, but I dunno…

Effects were pretty narcotic, ended up nodding off in the chair. May just turn it into hash after it cures a few months.

Now what is interesting is that I’ve also sampled some of the Rustam Kush X Sholgar cross that I also grew out on the windowsill - and it tastes quite nice. Go figure, as I don’t really care for the flower from either strain. Buzz leans a bit toward the energetic side like the Rustam Kush, with a calming backdrop from the Sholgar. Makes me grin like a fool. Might be onto something with this cross.

Last edited:

Old Piney

one survivor I grew outside last season , it grew back after a groundhog attack I. It really did not have much smell just a little sweet. I have it dried up and cured but haven not gotten around to a smoke test yet .I pollinate her with a vigorous male of a old-school Afghani #1 x Hindu kush hybrid I got going .here it is pictured on October 19 at 40 degrees north , it's late
1705789654774.jpeg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks good, probably mold resistant with a little more loose flower structure.

Was it a longer flowering plant?

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
It was over a year ago I collected pollen from the male I shared earlier in the thread. My plans went sideways due to work/life balance and had to trash seedlings and cuts I planned for the pollen chuck - was a painful gut-wrenching decision. The pollen has been in the fridge this whole time and I didn't expect it to be viable but last weekend I dusted some lowers and it looks promising that I'll get some seed to set. Here's some pics of AB G-13 Bx at 32 days from flip and four days from dusting.

P1016974.jpeg

P1016993.jpeg

P1016990.jpeg

P1016980.jpeg

P1016983.jpeg

These plants were very slow to veg and next to no stretch in flower so hope that AMM will impart some vigor and stretch. I also hit a Triangle Kush x UK Cheese. This weekend I flip some Atomic Shiva and they will get dusted as well. Hopes are that after picking the winners smoke wise from this current run from seed I will run cuts for full pollination and not just dusting of lowers. Also have some just started seedlings of LA Affie x CCR that hopefully results in a winner or two to be included.

Great weekend to all!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
I had six phenos of AB G-13 Bx. I am running four of the six again. This time in Hempy Buckets under HPS. The smallest darkest of the three shared above still did not want to stretch much, if at all. That one was an early favorite and labeled #2. The others have stretched more. In a couple weeks I will try to pop five or six seeds of #2 x AMM. Will start them indoors but they will be outdoor plants.

Of the other two that aren’t being reran one was a finicky deficient looking runt that I almost culled a couple times. I didn’t dust either of the two less desirables. I have started sampling the six seed plants. Only one have I sampled more than once and have yet to sample all. Today I sampled the runt, #6, labeled as such because she was the least appealing. Not only did she finish stinkier/skunkier than the rest but she also, so far in early testing, is a more powerful smoke. Thankfully I was heavy-handed while dusting, so she did end up with some seeds on her - and a cut as well.

The four at day 24 from flip:
P1017753.jpeg

#1:
P1017756.jpeg

P1017764.jpeg

#2:
P1017768.jpeg

Here's the two Atomic Shivas at day 42 from flip:

P1017713.jpeg

P1017738.jpeg

Each had two lowers dusted and they're definitely seeded.
P1017746.jpeg

Next weekend I will flip these three L.A. Affie x CCR girls:
P1017770.jpeg

(99% sure of sex, another week should provide certainty). I will dust one or more, probably all three.

Happy Sunday!

Last edited:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Took this picture a week ago:
P1018047.jpeg

Four down, four up. Hoping for two girls. They're #2 x AMM. They will go outdoors by the end of May, if not before. A cut of #2 will also go out for better comparison under the sun. Looking forward to seeing if AMM brings some vigor stretch and structure to #2.

#2, day 52:
P1018184.jpeg

Going to check trichomes tomorrow morning, she's looking close.

:ying: