What's new

Humboldt Growers Association introduces medical cannabis ordinance

H

humboldtlocal

The Humboldt Growers Association is a cannabis growers trade association. Their mission is: To promote a safe and sustainable cannabis industry throughout Humboldt County that will serve as a national model of success.
This ordinance will finally regulate collective outdoor medical grows in Humboldt County, bring in much needed revenue to the county, and lay the framework for Humboldt to compete in the coming legal market.

Pot growers introduce draft ordinance; proposed regulations would govern outdoor grows

Thadeus Greenson/The Times-Standard
Posted: 10/14/2010 01:24:27 AM PDT

<script language="JavaScript"> var requestedWidth = 0; </script> <script src="http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/js/article/viewerControls.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">Click photo to enlarge

<script type="text/javascript"> viewer_currentlySelected = 1; viewer_lastIndex = 1; viewer_images = ['http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site127/2010/1014/20101014__local_marijuana_VIEWER.jpg']; viewer_widths = ['149']; viewer_heights = ['140']; viewer_captions = [""]; viewer_galleryUrl = '/portlet/article/html/render_gallery.jsp'; viewer_articleId = '16336200'; viewer_siteId = '127'; viewer_isPreviewing = 'false'; viewer_isEmbedded = ''; viewer_activeButtonLead = 2; viewer_visibleButtonCount = 5; viewer_allowEnlargement = !isEmpty(viewer_galleryUrl); selectImage(1); function addToDimension(dim, val){ index = dim.indexOf('px'); if(index != -1){ dim = dim.substring(0, index); } dim = parseInt(dim) + val; return dim; } if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") != -1){ $('photoviewer').style.width = addToDimension($('photoviewer').style.width, 2); $('caption').style.height = addToDimension($('caption').style.height, 2); } requestedWidth = 202; </script>
20101014__local_marijuana_VIEWER.jpg

<script language="JavaScript"> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </script> Before a panel of experts and a host of high-ranking Humboldt County officials, the Humboldt Growers Association unveiled its proposed medical cannabis cultivation ordinance on Wednesday.
Proponents of the proposed ordinance say it would be a huge step toward protecting one of the county's primary industries and could also potentially bring in millions of dollars in revenue to the county.
”The cannabis industry in this county is as important as the fishing and timber industries were, and we don't want to see it suffer the same fate,” said HGA board member Joey Burger.
Wednesday's workshop -- titled “Leading the Way: Humboldt County and the New Economy,” sponsored by Humboldt County 4th District Supervisor Bonnie Neely and presented by the five-memberHumboldt Growers Association -- featured a panel discussion with some local officials and industry experts and culminated with the group unveiling its proposed ordinance.
While it would only govern the growing of medical marijuana, Burger said HGA's proposed ordinance would be easily convertible to a larger marijuana industry if the law changes.
As proposed, the ordinance would regulate outdoor marijuana grows with canopy areas larger than 100 square feet through a permitting process that lays out requirements for both applicants and farms.
According to the proposed ordinance, applicants would have to be at least 21 years old, a resident of the county for at least two
<hr class="articleAdRule">

<hr class="articleAdRule">years and not have any violent crime convictions on their record.
In order to get a permit under the proposed ordinance, applicants would have to submit to site inspections, estimate water usage and a water source for the garden and provide proof of land ownership. The permits would be up for renewal every year and would allow the cultivation of not more than 40,000 square feet of canopy space, an area roughly equivalent to one acre.
No permits would be issued to allow larger gardens and, while growers could obtain multiple permits, the sum total of their garden space could not exceed 40,000 square feet. Permit holders would also be required to provide access to their cultivation sites and water resources to inspectors at all times.
The permits would also come with fees, which could pad county coffers, according to some.
Under the proposed ordinance, the county would charge a nonrefundable $1,000 fee for applicants looking to grow on less than 400 square feet and $2,500 for larger spaces. If approved, permits would cost $800 for spaces ranging from 101 to 400 square feet and $800 for each additional 400 square feet of grow space. Permits for spaces smaller than 100 square feet would be free.
Under the ordinance, a permit for a quarter-acre garden site would cost $20,000.
Max Del Real, a medical cannabis lobbyist with California Capitol Solutions, estimated that if the county issues 500 permits for quarter-acre sites, it would bring in $10 million annually.
”This is real revenue, people,” said Del Real.
Burger said he grew up in Humboldt County and has seen growers support volunteer fire departments and hospice centers. Now, they want to help fund schools, roads and local law enforcement.
Others on the panel spoke of the need of the county to be proactive on a changing landscape with state voters possibly poised to legalize marijuana in November. They said the county needs to take advantage of its already robust brand name, and envisioned a time when cannabis-related tourism would thrive, and the county would be flush with tasting rooms and farm tours.
”Humboldt County has an international name, and it's synonymous with the finest outdoor cannabis on the market,” said Kristin Nevedal of the Cannabis Certification Company Inc.
This is a great medical cannabis ordinance for our community and could serve as a very good framework for many other cannabis growing communities in the North State. It will bring in much needed revenue for the county and easily be adopted to a commercial cannabis industry once legalization (maybe prop 19) comes. We are so fortunate to have county supervisors here in Humboldt that support the cannabis industry. This ordinance promotes small scale sustainable farming while at the same time discouraging big money from outside the county from taking over.

here comes the terroir!!!!! This is the first step in marijuana fixing the worlds problems.

Imagine if a bunch of farmers in Afghanistan did this? or Jamaica? or Morocco? or Mexico?

Its going to happen people will follow suit. I can't wait to be able to buy imported hashish from a dispensary.

Z

zen_trikester

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!! This is exactly what growers need to be doing IMHO. I now fully believe that Humboldt will set the standard for cannabusiness in Cali. Oakland schmokland! Growers everywhere throughout Cali need to be doing this same thing. If you don't have $$$$$ to work with, band together until you do. If you don't have the drive to put together and then propose legislation to your local officials, then band with somebody who does.

I'm sorry I'm acting so giddy, but this is very exciting to me. This is the growers doing it right. Playing within the system, these will be the guys who succeed. :thank you: now we just need to get prop 19 the green flag and the new world order begins. I love that they are restricting garden sizes to an acre and promoting the local product and allowing people to play at lower volumes... this is, in my mind, the reason for the looseness of the commercial legislation in prop 19. Hopefully Humboldt will embrace this concept and set the standard for other counties and cities throughout Cali. The fact that this is being written to work under 215 or 19 is a great move as well.

So do we get to see the actual proposed legislation? More out of curiosity for me... the biggest thing in my book is that growers are banding together and putting things in front of officials that work for them and work for the county.

HumboldtLocal, I don't know if you are a part of this group or not and I certainly don't expect you to say, but if you are or if anyone here reading this here is then I want to say Thanks. Wonderful news.

Jed

Who will they use to certify organic crops? or the terroir?

I for one would pay more for SFV Kush, Mendo Purps, Arcata Trainwreck. :)

Z

zen_trikester

Who will they use to certify organic crops? or the terroir?

I for one would pay more for SFV Kush, Mendo Purps, Arcata Trainwreck. :)

This is the kind of thing I would like to find out by reading the actual document. I would love to see labeled standards for region, grow style, potency, type of effect... That may be overkill at this point to do all of that, but I am curious how they are proposing that kind of thing be handled.

Jed

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
WTF this is some of the lamest shit ever. Must be a resident of the county for two years?

Do you think that is fucking legal with doctors, teachers, attornys, accountants, etc.

Why the FUCK does a MEDICAL patient need to be regulated?

What gives them the right to deny anything to ANY resident on their first day living in the county.

We are supposed to be in a free country. This is not fucking county welfare or food stamps we are talking about. This is MEDICAL MJ. If you move from Virgina or San Diego to Humboldt you have to live there TWO years before you can be a part of their club?

Go fuck off Humboldt Growers Association!

:joint:

G

Guest 88950

Humbolt will be my choice to vacation when i visit Cali. i cant wait to stay at a Bud n Breakfast where my window overlooks the garden and the aroma of all the flowering buds in the air.

advertising, branding and reputation is the key to any successful business and Humbolt County and the Emerald Triangle already have a huge advantage even before the passing of prop19 so i see them as the big winners.

way to open up and embrace a legal Cannabis market while protecting the ones who built the reputation the county is known for.

G

Guest 88950

... This is MEDICAL MJ. If you move from Virgina or San Diego to Humboldt you have to live there TWO years before you can be a part of their club?

dude, go smoke a bowl b/c your mistaken.

this is not about Medical MJ......its about LEGAL Cannabis and i think the 2 years is a responsible way to look out for those who have been there a while.

if you dont like their proposed regulations then dont move to that county.

i expected Humbolt and the Emerald Triangle to look out for the locals while rejecting large corporations but i thought they would have been a little more liberal with the size of gardens.

no fee for 100sq ft or under is better than 25 sq ft.

Z

zen_trikester

WTF this is some of the lamest shit ever. Must be a resident of the county for two years?

Do you think that is fucking legal with doctors, teachers, attornys, accountants, etc.

Why the FUCK does a MEDICAL patient need to be regulated?

What gives them the right to deny anything to ANY resident on their first day living in the county.

We are supposed to be in a free country. This is not fucking county welfare or food stamps we are talking about. This is MEDICAL MJ. If you move from Virgina or San Diego to Humboldt you have to live there TWO years before you can be a part of their club?

I got the feeling they were talking about permits, and that none would be needed for under 100 sq feet. I would think a guy could make a nice living running a 1 man op with 100sq ft, and then expand a couple years later. That would probably be the smart thing to do anyways until things loosen up assuming the passing of prop 19. 100 sq ft should be able to produce a good 4-6 lbs per month, no? I know cost of Living in Cali is high, and the price of herb is down, but that has to be a shit ton better than managing a Micky D's! Especially for a business that you can have in your basement or spare bedroom and has minimal overhead. To say nothing of the ease of being able to do it with the blessing of the local gov. I'm sure that wording is to prevent large corporations from coming in and underselling/over producing locals and slapping the Humboldt name on it.

Hydro, you are such a Negative Nancy.

Jed

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
dude, go smoke a bowl b/c your mistaken.

this is not about Medical MJ......its about LEGAL Cannabis and i think the 2 years is a responsible way to look out for those who have been there a while.

if you dont like their proposed regulations then dont move to that county.

i expected Humbolt and the Emerald Triangle to look out for the locals while rejecting large corporations but i thought they would have been a little more liberal with the size of gardens.

no fee for 100sq ft or under is better than 25 sq ft.

...unveiling its proposed ordinance.While it would only govern the growing of medical marijuana, Burger said HGA's proposed ordinance would be easily convertible to a larger marijuana industry if the law changes.

It is called illegal and unconstitutional protectionism. The counties you love have no right to violate the rights of American Citizens.

Also you need to REREAD the article it CLEARLY states it is regulation of MMJ and could EASILY be modified to apply to Prop 19.

So you tell me what gives any county the right to REGULATE and TAX how a CA patients grows their own meds on their own land? Does the Kelly decision allow these county fucks to tax gardens over Xsq'? I don't think so. Does the Kelly decision require a PERMITTING SCHEME? I don't think so.

You don't like the US Constitution and free movement of citizens, then change the Constitution. Until then barbers and farmers alike can move to ANY fucking county they want and ply their trade.

That growers association is the lowest form of protectionist scum. As far as brand name goes that outdoor swag will never compare to the best indoor gardens.

And for you jokers who claim 48lbs a year per 100sq' :tiphat:

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
WOW what a great idea someone is going to be buzzzy lol... All that space won't go to waste!! good luck bro peace out Headband707

Z

zen_trikester

So you tell me what gives any county the right to REGULATE and TAX how a CA patients grows their own meds on their own land? Does the Kelly decision allow these county fucks to tax gardens over Xsq'? I don't think so. Does the Kelly decision require a PERMITTING SCHEME? I don't think so.

This isn't about a person getting taxed growing their own meds, it is about commercial production. I guess the makers of tylenol don't have to pay any taxes or fees because it is medicine right?

jed

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
This isn't about a person getting taxed growing their own meds, it is about commercial production. I guess the makers of tylenol don't have to pay any taxes or fees because it is medicine right?

jed

Commercial production of MMJ is not legal in CA. Cultivating of MMJ is done in a collective of PATIENTS. This ordinance seeks multi thousand dollar permitting fees for any area greater than 100sq' and the state of CA does not tax medicine.

You let people buy MJ the same as Tylenol (prop 19), then go collect taxes from them; however med growers should not be subject to these ridiculous regulations and taxation.

Again I ask you how is this 2 year residency period legal, constitutional, or moral? Can you give me another example of American citizens not being able to work in their chosen profession because they don't meet length of residency requirements?

Can you give me another example of American citizens not being able to work in their chosen profession because they don't meet length of residency requirements?

Governor and President specifically. Sheriff. Most Police, Fire and Medical Workers who are on call. Maybe not specifically but in practice there have residency requirements.

Second. If you are growing more than 100 square feet outdoors and its not for personal use than you smoke tooo much. I'd like to see the wording but I'm sure they would be measuring pot circumference and what not,

Third, once they can put the terroir on their product, this will protect people from moving in on their natural resource, the air, the soil. the latitude and the climate.

Fourth, i love theory, Love it. Love principal and acting on it. But there is a time for practicality. Please calm down.

laters.

:blowbubbles:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Governor and President specifically. Sheriff. Most Police, Fire and Medical Workers who are on call. Maybe not specifically but in practice there have residency requirements.

Second. If you are growing more than 100 square feet outdoors and its not for personal use than you smoke tooo much. I'd like to see the wording but I'm sure they would be measuring pot circumference and what not,

Third, once they can put the terroir on their product, this will protect people from moving in on their natural resource, the air, the soil. the latitude and the climate.

Fourth, i love theory, Love it. Love principal and acting on it. But there is a time for practicality. Please calm down.

laters.

What are the length of residency requirement to become President of the USA? (NONE).

How many days or months before the candidate filing deadline must a Californian live in CA before running for Governor? How about Sheriff? My guess is if you live in the county or state at time of candidate filing deadline you are good to go. Please tell me if you have to live in CA for longer in order to obtain these ELECTED positions. Farmers aren't ELECTED and have NO PUBLIC Safety reason (police) to be required to live on the farm or with in x miles of the farm.

The wording they used was 100sq' canopy. DoubleJJ had a nice carport grow 10x20 or 200sq'

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=173095

He may even live in one of your three favorite counties, should he have to register his MEDICAL garden and be subject to INSPECTION at any time?

Remember these outdoor guys get 1 harvest a year in most cases. Again why should ANY CA med patient need to purchase a PERMIT?

Did Kelly restrict plant count or canopy size? If not why should patients pay thousands of dollars to the county?

Your third point is one of the craziest and most time honored positions of greed. I've got mine, no one should be allowed to move in and compete with me. What about the guy who has owned a farm for decades, should he be able to sell it to anyone he wants and get the highest price? If so how is he helped by this two year waiting period? Isn't it his RESOURCE (his farm) that contains the LAND, AIR, and CLIMATE?

Your fourth point assumes that UNCONSTITUTIONAL restrictions on trade or MEDICAL PATIENTS is principled. What is scariest is you probably believe you have a superior right to other's and it is practical and principled to codify your superior rights with county ordinances.

I guess some animals are more equal than others here on the farm.

What are the length of residency requirement to become President of the USA? (NONE).

Um you must be a citizen among other things. As for governor, again you must be resident. Patient must be a resident. DO you see where you argument is going. It isn't practical. Its theoretical.

The wording they used was 100sq' canopy. DoubleJJ had a nice carport grow 10x20 or 200sq'

What were the size of his beds? He grew in a giant 10X20 bed?

He may even live in one of your three favorite counties, should he have to register his MEDICAL garden and be subject to INSPECTION at any time?

These are weed police not the gestapo. calm down. you think they'll be out raiding folks.

Remember these outdoor guys get 1 harvest a year in most cases. Again why should ANY CA med patient need to purchase a PERMIT?

My personal take is that it isn't a permit. Its a certification of your buds being grown there. THis brings the mountain man who grows dirty brown can get more becase he is certified. think organic produce.

Did Kelly restrict plant count or canopy size? If not why should patients pay thousands of dollars to the county?

To protect his investment. He is still comitting a federal crime. Does he have the resources to fight the fed case? AS for the county issue, who manages your police and fire departments? Are we going to have the anarchy argument here. Is that what you want?

Your third point is one of the craziest and most time honored positions of greed. I've got mine, no one should be allowed to move in and compete with me. What about the guy who has owned a farm for decades, should he be able to sell it to anyone he wants and get the highest price? If so how is he helped by this two year waiting period? Isn't it his RESOURCE (his farm) that contains the LAND, AIR, and CLIMATE?

First if he lived there for decades there is no waiting period. Second..
SO you think you should be able to go to Champagne Region of France and just start selling your "wine" and calling it Champagne? See the bigger picture. This is about protecting their commodity. People around the world know about Humboldt and the Triangle. Who are you to say the shouldn't be able to profit off it?

Your fourth point assumes that UNCONSTITUTIONAL restrictions on trade or MEDICAL PATIENTS is principled. What is scariest is you probably believe you have a superior right to other's and it is practical and principled to codify your superior rights with county ordinances.

What are these right you think i have over other people? are you calling me an elitist or what? I'ld rather this was people driven and not government, but maybe this is an example if Government working. Doing the right thing. Protecting the long term livelihoods of it's citizens. I donlt know but come out and say it if you think i'm this or that. I can take it. :comfort: lol

I guess some animals are more equal than others here on the farm.

Brosef, laws aren't perfect, nor people or systems of governance. I agree with most of your theoretical drivel, and I'm not asking you to compromise, your values. But you have to see the possibilities not just the negatives. Do i need to illustrate other protectionist policies that municipalities engage in everyday? Tax advantages to businesses being the biggest one.

:2cents:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
1) So when one is a citizen of CA they may run for governor if they meet the age requirement, even if they just move to CA; however if they want a MEDICAL garden in Humboldt they need to wait two years! Sounds UNREASONABLE and serves no purpose but protectionism.

2) Yes 6 plants in 200sq' a carport, link in previous post.

3) Yes I think weed police empowered to inspect at any moment all permit holders will harass the shit out of those permit holders AND will go NUTS looking for those growing WITHOUT a PERMIT!

4) Why does a medical patient need a CERTIFICATION that he must pay for? Did Kelly require this? Must one be certified to grow other plants outdoors; even if they want to sell them at a farmers market?

5) Paying the county for a CERTIFICATION or PERMIT now PROTECTS the grower from FEDERAL prosecution? I think you are way wrong here. County services have been supplied during the entirety of MJ prohibition and MMJ; so your argument fails to meet your anarchy statement.

6) You can't see can you. If the guy selling lived there for decades that means NOTHING. The buyer must be there for two years or NO CERTIFICATION / PERMIT. Should the Frenchman who owns a vineyard in the Champaign Region have to sell ONLY to people who have RESIDED in that region for the last two years? (Against EU law as a impermissible restriction / discrimination against other EU citizens). Who are you to say that anyone may not operate in the triangle or France?

7) I think you are confused and presume the right to control other men with NO VALID AUTHORITY or JUSTIFICATION. The US Constitution was written to protect the INDIVIDUAL from the EVILS of the MAJORITY aswellas EVILS of the STATE. Protectionism isn't DOING THE RIGHT THING, it is an abuse of personal liberties and this proposal is UNCONSTITUTIONAL in many ways. It is unethical to "Protect" one citizen by "Denying" another.

8) There are many examples of "Special Deals" and other evils of government; no need to list them for me. Just because these evils exist our appetite for unethical governance should not increase.

So if you really agree with a lot of my theoretical drivel why would you sanction this discrimination?

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I am with Hydrosun on this one--
I don't agree that Collectives should have to pay fee's...many are nothing more than several ppl growing on 1 lot-- They should not have to be charged nor restricted in their Legal 215 Grows--
215 does not have it written in it that Counties can have their own Ordinances on Grows...it is a State-Wide Law--
Dispensaries are 1 thing...but legit Collective Grows need to be left out of the County Bastardization Program--:tiphat:

So if you really agree with a lot of my theoretical drivel why would you sanction this discrimination?

Because its practical. Our current financial system is less than free. would you agree? So, what i'm saying is i think it would be better for the farmers in the county to have this framework, rather than to fall prey to the evils of the "free market" and have their brand destroyed by the sub-par out door crap grown by people who haven't been there.

Like i said a few months ago. The growers should establish these standards. Not the government. But without someone doing it, big money will come in and play long ball. They will buy up land and very well could destroy the community.
With some sort of system in place to certify the farms in the region, they all benefit. Example is the champagne. A french guy in Champagne can sell his wares as he pleases. But if he wants to Call it Champagne he has to get certified. This is what keeps the prices high. Keeps the business profitable and keeps the region sustained.
I'm not well versed enough in wine/history politics but this has been played out already in that industry. People were trying to undercut the market by calling genetics similar to those grown in Champagnes or Bordeaux; Champagne or Bordeaux. Obviously the indigenous growers didn't want this as it weakens their brand, and lowers their profit margins. This is my goal for the region and the world. I want Organically grown fair trade certified Jamaican/Afghanistani/Thai Weed/Hash/Sticks sold legally world wide.

And where does it say the buyer has to live their for two years. and even if it did this protects the local economy. Want some outdoor Humboldt and you gotta see someone from Humboldt; no knock-off a la Louie Vitton. Again i wish it was consumer driven and not government but atleast this puts it out there and can be improved through court challenges and the like.

edit: there is a filling fee to be governor of California (around $3K) and in other states, Alabama being one, you must be a resident for one year.