What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I remember when,.......

castout

Veteran
I remember when a doctor took time with a patient. I remember when the grocery store had your bags carried to the car. I remember when you weren't always being videotaped by BIG BROTHER. I remember when airlines fed you meals. I remember people cruising the strip, no internet back then.

C

Classy@Home

>There was only 1 child abduction in Ontario - it was headline news for weeks, and they never found the little girl. They found one shoe.

>A murder anywhere within 200 miles of home was a Huuuuge deal.

>Walking around the yearly sports show with a machete hanging off my belt because we went while we were camping, and a machete was a very handy tool while camping.

>Going to the local go-karts, and haggling with the guy in the booth over how many laps we would get if we paid - wait for it - $20 (cash).

>Stubby beer bottles.

G

greenmatter

i remember when 10 TV channels was enough ....... when you think about it it was more than enough.... and over 200 is just crazy/stupid/useless/overkill

dddaver

Veteran
I remember when,.......,
I bought my first car a 68 chev Impala 4 door for 100 dollars. I would go to the gas station and fill the oil and check the gas. My friends did not like going out in the car as they would come home smelling of old burnt run off oil. I had the vehicle for a few months and still sold it for 75 bucks to a man for demolition derby. This was in 1984. I thought it was the coolest vehicle in the world at the time.

I AM an old fucker, well 56. I used to think like 75 was old. Now I think different. Being old seems to be getting more a younger and younger age these days.

Anyway, my Dad bought my uncle's '62 Impala in '72 supposedly for me and my mother to share. WHAT A POS! It was a three speed standard with the shifter on the column. The gas gauge would read 1/4 tank even though it was empty. It died on me once near my Dad's mechanic friend's house. It took me, Dad, and that mechanic at least an hour to figure out what was wrong, just ran out of gas!

I went downstairs one Saturday morning to find Dad had painted the POS over with this brown house paint he was painting the garage with. I guess he just saw the rust on the car and figured, "What the hell", and brush painted the sides dark brown on the light beige car.

I only drove that again when I absolutely needed to get somewhere. Same with Mom. Totally embarrassed. I always wondered if Dad did things like that (of which there were many, many) on purpose, to keep his 17 yo., wild, pot smoking, motor cycle riding, crazy, son in check.

I don't even remember what he did with that POS. I think we might have sold it for $75.

Pot droughts.

Scoring from the brothers(pre crack) in little brown envelopes like the dentist would put your teeth in.

Matches.

The Sears toy catalog.

TV tube testers next to the coin operated postage machines at Eckerds drug store.

Smoking anywhere, no smokers in my house but we would always put out ashtrays when we had smokers over just to be a polite host.

You could play in a school yard anytime school was out, now they are locked up like a prison.

We played smear the queer with a stick or a rock if we didn't have a ball.

You could drive away from a car crash.

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
When doctors actually came to your house, I saw castout mention doctors actually spending time with patients and immediately remembered house visits as a child.Unheard of anymore,and this wasn't a rural setting either...60+ year old dude would actually show up with his black bag.Oh how shit has changed...more like inoculating cattle anymore.

Peace,
SSM :joint:

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
i walked or rode my bike to and from grade school through a suburban neighborhood 6 blocks, alone, and this was the norm. school buses were the way kids in the county came in.

C

Classy@Home

There were no snow days off - ever...

Snowbanks 5 feet high???

Cool obstacle course to walk on the way to school.

Plus the really cool shit we'd find in the snowbanks area once they'd melted in spring - found a handfull of bullets one yr - folks made me take 'em to cop shoppe...

G

greenmatter

:laughing::laughing:

when i was a kid they use to say "it's gonna snow, so wear a coat"

same city 40 years later and they say "WINTER STORM WARNING! DO YOU HAVE FOOD AT HOME? MAKE SURE YOU GO SHOPPING TODAY! IF YOU CAN AVOID TRAVELING, DO SO! THE WIND CHILL FACTOR WILL BE -30 !!!!

......... and it turns out to be about 6" of snow.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and i remember when ........... people who lived in colorado knew how too drive in 6 fucking inches of snow!!!

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
:laughing::laughing:

when i was a kid they use to say "it's gonna snow, so wear a coat"

same city 40 years later and they say "WINTER STORM WARNING! DO YOU HAVE FOOD AT HOME? MAKE SURE YOU GO SHOPPING TODAY! IF YOU CAN AVOID TRAVELING, DO SO! THE WIND CHILL FACTOR WILL BE -30 !!!!

......... and it turns out to be about 6" of snow.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and i remember when ........... people who lived in colorado knew how too drive in 6 fucking inches of snow!!!

yessir that were the day...6" snow...let's hit the parking lots and do donuts...here hold my beer!

G

greenmatter

yessir that were the day...6" snow...let's hit the parking lots and do donuts...here hold my beer!

been there!!!!

every car on the road was rear wheel drive unless you owned a jeep ........ and if the cops caught you doing donuts and drinking beer they told you to get the fuck out of the parking lot and go home.

40 years later ........ you are going to jail, your car gets towed and there are 7 different charges on the ticket from DUI to trespassing.

works out to about $1000 a donut :tiphat:

Princess Vahall

Veteran
There was an area in NW Indiana where it was legal to drink and drive. I had a friend who had it all mapped out how to get from one place to the other with his little cooler full of Miller High Life. LOL

Bluehoo

I remember when you would walk in a head shop and all the bongs were either acrylic or ceramic. I didn't care for the ceramic ones because I couldn't see the water.

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
I remember how Home Box(HBO) had a little box with a red button on top that you had to push down in order to watch it.I remember gettin a bag of buds,a nickle(1/4 oz) for 5$ and it was good.The commercial back in the Day.Red Bud,Columbian Gold,this compressed stuff they called "seat belt" that was almost black looking and real sticky and was a knokout as far as Buzz.Red Leb hash,a nice Spicey Blonde that was mellow and tastey.Damn i miss the old Days,there was so much good smoke that would stand up even Today.Some sucked,but i would love a bag of the Old Red Bud right now and deff some of the Hash that you would never be able to get these days.....:tumbleweed:

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Thai sticks , Malawi cobs , haze , gold stamped afghani , skunk , Power hitters , ceramic roach holders , roach joints , dry season , knife hits , killer music , and being scared to death to go to head shops lol priceless.....

BlueCheer

I remember how Home Box(HBO) had a little box with a red button on top that you had to push down in order to watch it.I remember gettin a bag of buds,a nickle(1/4 oz) for 5$ and it was good.The commercial back in the Day.Red Bud,Columbian Gold,this compressed stuff they called "seat belt" that was almost black looking and real sticky and was a knokout as far as Buzz.Red Leb hash,a nice Spicey Blonde that was mellow and tastey.Damn i miss the old Days,there was so much good smoke that would stand up even Today.Some sucked,but i would love a bag of the Old Red Bud right now and deff some of the Hash that you would never be able to get these days.....:tumbleweed:

I know, I miss all the Hashs. Blond and Red Leb. There were lots of Morrocan Hashes, Nepalese Finger Hash, Yep, the Gold stamped Kabul, Afghani....it was like smoking on a bottomless pit (you couldn't get enough of it), until it ran out. You could taste the THC, I swear...LOL.

Cheer

BlueCheer

Thai sticks , Malawi cobs , haze , gold stamped afghani , skunk , Power hitters , ceramic roach holders , roach joints , dry season , knife hits , killer music , and being scared to death to go to head shops lol priceless.....

Power hitters, take me back. Those things would kill ya! It was like a turbo-charged football...LOL

RetroGrow

Veteran
Sex without condoms.
Ecstasy legally sold in bars.
Quaaludes....and the girls who agreed to take them and then lost all their inhibitions.

Latest posts

Latest posts