What's new

i dont like tasting guano, please help me flush

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Could the "senescence" be triggered by the lack of light??? That is why trees and plants loose their leaves is it not?

cut and paste:

Leaves are nature's food factories. Plants take water from the ground through their roots. They take a gas called carbon dioxide from the air. Plants use sunlight to turn water and carbon dioxide into oxygen and glucose. Oxygen is a gas in the air that we need to breathe. Glucose is a kind of sugar. Plants use glucose as food for energy and as a building block for growing. The way plants turn water and carbon dioxide into oxygen and sugar is called photosynthesis. That means "putting together with light." A chemical called chlorophyll helps make photosynthesis happen. Chlorophyll is what gives plants their green color.

As summer ends and autumn comes, the days get shorter and shorter. This is how the trees "know" to begin getting ready for winter.

During winter, there is not enough light or water for photosynthesis. The trees will rest, and live off the food they stored during the summer. They begin to shut down their food-making factories. The green chlorophyll disappears from the leaves. As the bright green fades away, we begin to see yellow and orange colors. Small amounts of these colors have been in the leaves all along. We just can't see them in the summer, because they are covered up by the green chlorophyll.

minds_I

C

cvk

Didnt get a chance to read this whole thread so dont know if this has been presented, but I grow organic indoors in 4 x 8 beds and no way to give my plants a proper flush so what I do is split the stem above the soil line and wedge a 1" dia. stick in the slit. Plants continue to grow healthy but began to turn a golden color and the resulting buds are tasty with zero organic taste to them. Nothing but the strains natural flavor is all you gonna taste.

Neo 420

Veteran
Again I think the answer lies somewhere in the genetics. For example true kush's vs haze.

h.h.

Veteran
Any organic fertilizer high in available nutrients should be used sparingly Ground beans along with the slightest bit of guano as a catalyst is all you may need. In doing so I never have any sort of fertilizer taste, however I find myself farting a lot.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello all,

Could the "senescence" be triggered by the lack of light??? That is why trees and plants loose their leaves is it not?

cut and paste:

Leaves are nature's food factories. Plants take water from the ground through their roots. They take a gas called carbon dioxide from the air. Plants use sunlight to turn water and carbon dioxide into oxygen and glucose. Oxygen is a gas in the air that we need to breathe. Glucose is a kind of sugar. Plants use glucose as food for energy and as a building block for growing. The way plants turn water and carbon dioxide into oxygen and sugar is called photosynthesis. That means "putting together with light." A chemical called chlorophyll helps make photosynthesis happen. Chlorophyll is what gives plants their green color.

As summer ends and autumn comes, the days get shorter and shorter. This is how the trees "know" to begin getting ready for winter.

During winter, there is not enough light or water for photosynthesis. The trees will rest, and live off the food they stored during the summer. They begin to shut down their food-making factories. The green chlorophyll disappears from the leaves. As the bright green fades away, we begin to see yellow and orange colors. Small amounts of these colors have been in the leaves all along. We just can't see them in the summer, because they are covered up by the green chlorophyll.

minds_I

Why sir...I think the lad's got it!

That and fruit/flower set.

G

gloryoskie

Hello all,

minds_I

Yup, i read that long flowering thin leaved plants brought to maturation going 13/11 or even 14/10.

I also noticed if same plants were seeded they ripened nicely.

But I only do the light reduction when I'm not perpetual.

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
wonderful, you were told right about 'flushing' being pretty pointless in organics. your problem is that your soil was too rich and the plants are showing signs of Nitrogen toxicity. (the dark green colour and burnt leaf tips) this means the plant has stored too much nitrogen and some of it will remain in the buds you smoke, spoiling the taste.
Next time try less guano in the soil and dont feed them guano 'tea' unless they are actually looking hungry (leaves starting to yellow).
as for a week in the dark before harvest.... i would advise just a week of extra ripening under the lights instead.

also, there tends to be two types of guano, one is high in N and the other high in P... you dont want to be using much high N guano in mid-late flower. whilst plants can, up to a point, choose what nutrients their roots uptake, they tend to absorb too much Nitrogen if they are given a chance.

i use guano in my soil and my weed tastes GREAT. im pretty sure you were tasting over ferted weed. soil that is too rich in nitrogen does not make for good tasting weed.

VG

VD nailed it ^

I was also going to ask if you use any molasses in those guano teas, because molasses is the culprit of some really nasty tasting smoke if used in excess. You do show signs of N toxicity though, so the molasses was just a guess on my end that may have added to the problem. I've been here before myself, it's not fun but take it as a learning experience and know that less is more in soil - soil mixes like TGA's is too rich in food IMO, I had N toxicity issues when I ran his bagged soil and the smoke was shitty tasting because of it. I also fed with molasses in my water because "it made the buds sweeter" :laughing:

Buddyy

TM not sure you saw but thread is from 2012 but thx for bumping it was a good read with some good info.

Latest posts

Latest posts