What's new

i dont like tasting guano, please help me flush

wonderful

hello, my last grow was kings kush. i used organic soil ffof and fflw. mixed with castings perlite lime and a smal amount of guno in final transplant maybe 2 oz. i used a casting tea all thoruogh veg and for the second or third week of flowering. then i switched to a guano tea for2 or 3 brews a week or 2 apart ending on week 6. week 7 and 8 had only water. i let them sit in the dark for a week before harvest. (i took a small amount before the dark for comparison) the dark helps a lot!!! i cured in humid tupperware at 90 degrees for a week then to jars. after curing for 4 weeks there was still a taste of something extra beside weed. ive heard reports of this before and knew it was from the guano. now i deliberately didnt flush because people have said theres nop need to fluch organics because the food is in the soil yada yada.... deficincies in the last weeks... yadda yadda... but i do not want a guano taste.

im pretty sure im gunna do two flushes to be sure this time! how many of you flush/ dont flush? how many of you use guano? this is my second organic grow and still have much to learn!
thanks for your input!

8 weeks 400 watt hps in dark part of room

Attachments

• phenotype 2, 8 weeks.jpg
    phenotype 2, 8 weeks.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 17
T

TribalSeeds

hello, my last grow was kings kush. i used organic soil ffof and fflw. mixed with castings perlite lime and a smal amount of guno in final transplant maybe 2 oz. i used a casting tea all thoruogh veg and for the second or third week of flowering. then i switched to a guano tea for2 or 3 brews a week or 2 apart ending on week 6. week 7 and 8 had only water. i let them sit in the dark for a week before harvest. (i took a small amount before the dark for comparison) the dark helps a lot!!! i cured in humid tupperware at 90 degrees!!!! for a week then to jars. after curing for 4 weeks there was still a taste of something extra beside weed. ive heard reports of this before and knew it was from the guano. now i deliberately didnt flush because people have said theres nop need to fluch organics because the food is in the soil yada yada.... deficincies in the last weeks... yadda yadda... but i do not want a guano taste.

im pretty sure im gunna do two flushes to be sure this time! how many of you flush/ dont flush? how many of you use guano? this is my second organic grow and still have much to learn!
thanks for your input!

:tumbleweed:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wonderful, you were told right about 'flushing' being pretty pointless in organics. your problem is that your soil was too rich and the plants are showing signs of Nitrogen toxicity. (the dark green colour and burnt leaf tips) this means the plant has stored too much nitrogen and some of it will remain in the buds you smoke, spoiling the taste.
Next time try less guano in the soil and dont feed them guano 'tea' unless they are actually looking hungry (leaves starting to yellow).
as for a week in the dark before harvest.... i would advise just a week of extra ripening under the lights instead.

also, there tends to be two types of guano, one is high in N and the other high in P... you dont want to be using much high N guano in mid-late flower. whilst plants can, up to a point, choose what nutrients their roots uptake, they tend to absorb too much Nitrogen if they are given a chance.

i use guano in my soil and my weed tastes GREAT. im pretty sure you were tasting over ferted weed. soil that is too rich in nitrogen does not make for good tasting weed.

VG

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wierd, can't see my reply. here it is again... sorry if this is a double post

wonderful, you were told right about 'flushing' being pretty pointless in organics. your problem is that your soil was too rich and the plants are showing signs of Nitrogen toxicity. (the dark green colour and burnt leaf tips) this means the plant has stored too much nitrogen and some of it will remain in the buds you smoke, spoiling the taste.
Next time try less guano in the soil and dont feed them guano 'tea' unless they are actually looking hungry (leaves starting to yellow).
as for a week in the dark before harvest.... i would advise just a week of extra ripening under the lights instead.

also, there tends to be two types of guano, one is high in N and the other high in P... you dont want to be using much high N guano in mid-late flower. whilst plants can, up to a point, choose what nutrients their roots uptake, they tend to absorb too much Nitrogen if they are given a chance.

i use guano in my soil and my weed tastes GREAT. im pretty sure you were tasting over ferted weed. soil that is too rich in nitrogen does not make for good tasting weed.

VG

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bullpussy! If you tasted guano it's because you splashed it on the buds. Did you also taste your soil? Worm castings?
Bullshit, there is no need to flush organics. -Bongaloid.
Burn1

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Well I know I've had some buds before that tasted like straight up guano, or at least tastes like guano smells.

Kings Kush smells awful to begin with. How do you make something taste good that smells and tastes like used cooking grease sitting behind a restaurant?

Verdant Green already covered your over feeding problem which is clearly too much N, but you need to fix your curing. Did you let the buds dry before putting them in tupper ware to cure? They need to snap off the branches before you put them in to cure and the temperature needs to be 70-84 degrees for a decent cure as well as 50-55% humidity.

thanks for your input!

No guano in the mix, no flush either. Aside from taking cuttings, planting seeds, watering, and harvesting I don't really do anything anymore. The occasional EWC slurry or FPE maybe, but that's about it.

MicrobeMan explained flushing best when he compared it to trying to lose weight by showering.:biggrin:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can taste a flavor difference when using various feeding inputs - not to say I taste guano, but rather the taste it imparts...

This is a huge reason I use multiple inputs for each source...to allow an accurate genetic representation to be had...

And there is no need to flush organics...to continue the sentiment!

dank.Frank

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Sounds like you need to learn to dry and cure, not to flush...perhaps some mold due to 90* curing? shouldn't get above 75* during dry/cure.

That pic is def. and over fert'd plant, though, yea.

THC123

Veteran
i just fertilize them just before flowering starts only once(on top of a good soil mix) and for the rest only water, no need to flush

T

TribalSeeds

Hey dude! Dont sniff guano!
Curing herb in humid tupperware at 90 degrees would ruin any of the best smoke ever grown on this site. Just sayin...

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Some people say they can taste what the herb was grown with...I am one of these people who can detect what organic high nitrogen fert was used.

However It's not the taste of guano,fish,or any other amendment. It's the taste of a soil utilizing what it has to work with. There are subtle differences between types of high nitrogen fertilizers that can be detected as 'differences' in the final product.....but again,it tastes nothing like fish of bat shit.

I've had plants that have been splashed with guano and fish that actually smell like it because of that,but as for the actual essence of fish and bat shit to actually get into the tissue of the plant.....I would question that.

Perhaps an overdose of guano and the mythological soil flush combo still works....what do I know.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would also agree that different soil amendments will impart subtle differences in flavor... and guano is regarded by many to help bring out the full genetic potential in smell/taste.

wonderful, as you may have noticed... the belief that flushing is irrelevant to organics is widely held here, but at the other end of the scale you must avoid using soil that is too rich avoid overfeeding your plants. by the time they are harvested you really want the leaves to have lost as much of their green colour as possible... or at least be a light green. to a large extent this will happen naturally as long as you've kept your soil quite 'lean' as in not over ferted.

VG

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
to a large extent this will happen naturally as long as you've kept your soil quite 'lean' as in not over ferted.

This can/will be true of amendments with a soluble component to them like manures and plant material like alfalfa meal, etc. [I think]

Vhghost

Awesome help in here for sure....
taste for curing weed takes time... try quick drying a bud and smoking it... Yuck!!
no matter how you grew it.