What's new

i dont like tasting guano, please help me flush

O

OrganicOzarks

I do beleive that guano can impart a taste on what is grown in it. However I find that it imparts a "good" taste. I have yet to taste poo because of guano.

This spring I had some spinach that I used guano on, and ended up tasting smokey. It was like bacon spinach. The same crop last year without guano tasted like spinach.

I use guano in my soilless mixes, and in my compost teas. I feed compost teas until the day I harvest. I have done two teas per week for a test, and the results were great, but who the fuck wants to brew so many god damn teas every week. It really isn't the brewing, it is the cleaning of the brewers.

Cleaning brewers 5 or 6 times a week gets old. Especially when it is below freezing out side.

So now i am down to 1 tea soil drenched each week, with a foliar feed twice per week up to 5-6 weeks into flower. Even with spraying shit water on my plants that late it still does not taste like guano.

I am getting larger yields, and resin production has been steadily increasing. Strains that I thought were just ok, are now great because of the changes that I have made. Makes me miss all of those less than stellar strains that I let go of in the past.

Live and learn. It's not like I could have kept 60 mothers any how. It sure would have been nice to try though.:)

I have a bad habit of pulling a plant or two a couple weeks early and on certain strains it will always end up with this manure taste until after the first week of curing. I have tasted it in commercial bud many times and I have always found that weed to give me the affects that are typical of an early pull. That being a diminished ceiling and duration.

h.h.

Veteran
While I found no harm in brewing teas weekly, I just found it somewhat redundant, at least for a small garden.
I tried guano and didn't have any problems with taste. I didn't use it in the soil and I didn't use a lot. I have used an over abundance of bagged steer manure along with poorly made compost in the soil that made the buds taste like miracle grow. IOW, crap.
Any uncomposted manure should be used in small amounts and as top dress only, if at all. It helps when you need it, not when you don't.

I am getting larger yields, and resin production has been steadily increasing. Strains that I thought were just ok, are now great because of the changes that I have made. Makes me miss all of those less than stellar strains that I let go of in the past.

Live and learn. It's not like I could have kept 60 mothers any how. It sure would have been nice to try though.:)

I know exactly what you mean. I'll run a clone of a seed plant from the previous round and sometimes I am like WTF, this plant is shit this time but was great before. Sometimes you just screw a plant up and it never becomes what it could of been. This makes me want to scream at all those know-it-all's out there that say how hard can it be to grow since we call it "weed". I'm not even trying to make a living either, though that has to be a little easier when you have zero overhead with DIY organics. But shit can get a little depressing sometimes even when you love what you do.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Gently remove the plants from the soil. Gently wash off the roots and place in a bucket of water. Add an air hose if you have it and change the water daily. Keep the plant alive for about 1 week with pure water and nothing else. I used very hot water, filtered from the tap. It wasn't a miracle, but it made high nitrogen weed palatable. That is if you have nothing else.
You can not "flush" in the same soil in which the problem arose. You're not really flushing with the water. You're giving the plant a chance to use up excess nutrients. I'm not sure about the hot water. I had been told that was a way to draw any resin out of the stems and whatever. It didn't. What it also didn't do to my surprise was kill the plant. If it helped with faster water uptake, I don't know.

Don't do this. Hot water kills roots. +85* or more water holds no oxygen. You may as well chop the plant at the base and then stick it in water....

Learn to feed what your plant needs, and nothing more...

Z

Ziggaro

Weird that "experts" claim you cannot taste guano if you use too much.
Overfeed with Earth Juice and don't flush.. if you tell me you cannot taste the guano you have bricks for taste buds, or you're a liar.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Think we've said the exact opposite...lol

That input affects output...the distinguishing point was that you aren't tasting guano, as such, you are tasting the imparted results of a given input...

It was a matter of being specific and accurate.

Again, if you DO NOT OVERFEED ... such things were also made a point of.

dank.Frank

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
flush?
no, full house.
guanos imparted a nasty taste to my otherwise perfect smoke. back to adding mo water.

...i recall Spurr mentioning the plant will take what it needs (somthing about osmotic pressure limiting cation uptake....)

pssssp...pass.

ime plants are not gluttons

h.h.

Veteran
Don't do this. Hot water kills roots. +85* or more water holds no oxygen. You may as well chop the plant at the base and then stick it in water....

Learn to feed what your plant needs, and nothing more...
I agree. That was a while back and really only an experiment at that point. Surprisingly, the roots didn't die and continued their function. The plants didn't even start to wilt. While normally I wouldn't even bring it up, the taste of some gosh awful weed improved.

h.h.

Veteran
flush?
no, full house.
guanos imparted a nasty taste to my otherwise perfect smoke. back to adding mo water.

...i recall Spurr mentioning the plant will take what it needs (somthing about osmotic pressure limiting cation uptake....)

pssssp...pass.

ime plants are not gluttons

While a plant may only uptake what it needs, it doesn't need to taste good in order to survive. That's a trait we desire.

C

CT Guy

Plants take up the nitrogen from the guano in the form of ionic nutrients. Nitrates are nitrates, whether from alfalfa or guano. It's the same argument that adding molasses will make your buds sweeter. There's no scientific basis for either of these claims.

People already covered the issue of too much N creating the problem. I just wanted to add some plants will naturally yellow in flower (senescence) based on genetics and this is important to know so you don't overfeed. Others will stay green right through to harvest.

M

MrSterling

Plants take up the nitrogen from the guano in the form of ionic nutrients. Nitrates are nitrates, whether from alfalfa or guano. It's the same argument that adding molasses will make your buds sweeter. There's no scientific basis for either of these claims.

People already covered the issue of too much N creating the problem. I just wanted to add some plants will naturally yellow in flower (senescence) based on genetics and this is important to know so you don't overfeed. Others will stay green right through to harvest.

And on the other hand we have people who believe something is wrong if the plant *doesn't* go yellow near harvest.

CT, thanks for your input, been meaning to say that. You offer a lot of serious knowledge around here.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
And on the other hand we have people who believe something is wrong if the plant *doesn't* go yellow near harvest.

CT, thanks for your input, been meaning to say that. You offer a lot of serious knowledge around here.

I don't think its a fair assumption that all indigenous annuals stay green throughout harvest

my guess is that tropical sativas, because of the differential in environmental would more likely stay green in their natural environment throughout maturation but varieties that are indigenous to different environments might no not express the traits at maturation because of the different environmental cues

seasonal drops in soil temperature and declining length of daylight are environmental cues that will cause a plant to rely on its own food stores at maturation

i would love to see pictures of wild indigenous cannabis species from different regions to see the accuracy of the everyone's claims

most cannabis i see pictures are alien cultivated species

as far as it being wrong or right to grow a plant and then have it feed off its own stores at the end

i'm growing flowers to smoke, and that for me dictates the of flower I want to harvest, for me if my plant doesn't feed off of itself at the end of flower it is wrong

however i KNOW it goes again most growers logic however to maintain a plant in optimal health and then let the health decline especially when its an organic plant i know dont panic its organic

it is preferential and depending on your relative perspective and use of those flowers either can be right

I know plenty of guys who grow proper organic tops and keep them at full health throughout, lets face it most people don't want to compromise potential failure when they have a method of success

for me, and this has come over decades of growing and smoking, growing and smoking, between the amount i smoke and the sensitivity of my lungs even the type of paper i use becomes a consideration when i smoke

for me a faded plant is a smoother smoking plant and it is an important consideration

i've always found it ironic that it is recognized in salt sterile chemical gardening that you can overfed and that getting the plant to break the ionic bond and feed of itself is a preference but in organic gardening it is not

the nutrients stores in a plant regardless of source or amount effect the properties of smoke composition, they studies this with tobacco extensively

the caveat for fading for me are the properties of the smoke and that is it

it is very easy to underfeed too much and get LESS flavor or in say you are growing, or negatively effect other secondary metabolite production like resin production, which for a sat dominant strain who develops resin very late in flower can also prove to be detrimental

so the risk reward ration may not be there for some, fair enough, but if there wasn't a differential i wouldn't do it

O

OrganicOzarks

While I found no harm in brewing teas weekly, I just found it somewhat redundant, at least for a small garden.
I tried guano and didn't have any problems with taste. I didn't use it in the soil and I didn't use a lot. I have used an over abundance of bagged steer manure along with poorly made compost in the soil that made the buds taste like miracle grow. IOW, crap.
Any uncomposted manure should be used in small amounts and as top dress only, if at all. It helps when you need it, not when you don't.

I did two brews soil drenched, and foliar fed weekly, and almost doubled my yields. Seems redundancy pays off if you can handle cleaning, and brewing so many damn brews. :)

Watering is redundant why not cut it down to once a month.:)

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Weird;

I appreciate your perspective. A lot of what you said and what others like VerdantGreen has said makes sense in regard to smaller containers and the use of 'fertilizers' which have a soluble component to them.

My experience and that of some others growing in a slightly to highly larger volume of living soil, is to see the majority of plants
[as annuals] portray symptoms of senescence [fading, yellow & other colors] regardless of how much [vermi]compost is in the soil or topdressed or if compost teas continue to be applied.

This same soil from which these plants are harvested has sufficient nitrogen content to support new plantlings popped into the dirt shortly following that harvest.

To me this is an indication that the nutrients are sequestered in the soil and in the humic & organic matter. IMO these nutrients are released via microbial and root mineralization. The new roots want/need the nutrients therefore they are assimilated. The old roots/plants have no need for that set of nutrients so they are not assimilated. [IMO]

Interestingly, in a very large and old soil outside garden, there always was about 1 to 2% of the plants which remained mostly green to the end. This crossed cultivar boundaries.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes, its that small proportion of strains/phenos that like to stay green which represent the biggest challenge :)
this is perhaps one area where the grower that uses a 'fresh' soil mix for each harvest will have an advantage...perhaps smaller pots will also help ( i use 3-4 gallons) i tend to run the same cuts over and over, and if you keep notes and tweak the mix you can get it exactly right so that nutrient deficiency in the soil triggers the plant to use the 'green; in its leaves as it ripens.
there is no doubt that this will improve the smoking quality of those plants.

now that im starting to use recycled soil, where i cant be certain exactly what nutrients are left before re-amendment, it remains to be seen whether i can get the same results with certain cuts.

luckily, most of the time the plants will fade of their own accord as microbeman, CT and others state.

VG

Neo 420

Veteran
now that im starting to use recycled soil, where i cant be certain exactly what nutrients are left before re-amendment, it remains to be seen whether i can get the same results with certain cuts.

luckily, most of the time the plants will fade of their own accord as microbeman, CT and others state.

VG

Interesting....... My sour diesel started to draw its stored resources around the 2 or 3 week mark from harvest. Upon harvest, the fall colors were apparent and definitely looked like it was "faded". The soil mix was on its first run. It will be interesting to see what happens with the next run (recycled soil) on the same strand.

"There are a number of hypotheses as to why senescence occurs; for example, some posit it is programmed by gene expression changes, others that it is the cumulative damage caused by biological processes"
~Wiki

I am going to theorize this event is a genetic process expressed via environment.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah sour diesel is a big yielder and i think it is very ready to use it's stored resources. in my 'regular' mix it started to fade at about week 4/5 which was about as early as ive experienced.

i would agree that senescence is a genetic process and there are probably various 'triggers' that instigate it - but as already mentioned in this thread, most of those triggers are not present in an indoor growing environment.

VG

G

gloryoskie

Does fertilization promote senescence?

Also was it nitrogen or a bad cure?

I grow hempy now with salts, I had trouble keeping the living soil process in my micro set up.

Good posts all around, when I go big, I'll go organic again.

Latest posts

Latest posts