What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Long Does It take to trim A Pound?

D

deepforest

you can get trimming machines that will greatly help you out. theres a trimpro thats horribly overpriced @ 600$+++ but it pays for itself after you save all that popcorn you would have just thrown in the trim pile because your hands back neck all hurt too much after being bent over a table with scissors. i used to kill myself hand trimming and manicuring perfect buds then i saw what was selling for AAA primo prices and it looked like they just ran everything, even the big nice colas, through auto trimmers and people were still buying it, so i said fuck it and got a machine

beer batter

Trim machines are great for the wet work, getting all the non-sugar leaf cleaned off then id hang 'em and have a final trim. ive seen a good amount of hash scraped from trim machiens! First we de-bone from the lines to a large bin or bag of crude leafy buds, trim those on a 10x20 propagation tray or rubermaid bin lid-upside down sitting comfy on the couch watch football or bed with my back against the wall. then you have your sugar leaf for hash and nice trimmed buds for storage. The other way of working it is drying the sugar leaf somewhere else or not using it at all, a wet trim is good but still needs some cleaning in the end. I trim buds like I would like to buy them from the club, folks (I) don’t like to buy huge stems so I clean that away. If it's a pound of popcorn it rather have it all de-stemmed and leafed to look proper, bigger buds are left intact to a point I can de bone a fair amount.. We do 2 trims but theirs 12 ways to skin a cat :D

beer batter

Considering the wet work is still on branches or large stems when its hung on lines you would have a lot more weight, its hard to judge a pound o wet -a proper lb dry and crisp would be the ideal measuring point, theirs really no point in weighing it if its not crispy cause it will lose weight and its bad karma to sell lb's that are under cause you weighed them at harvest an they lost an ounce or so. I was working popcorn buds proper @ an ounce an hour -I had a paper plate on the trim board is used to put the cleaned buds and had cut some of it to easily slide into the turkey bags or jars.

beer batter

Fresh branches are heavy, if you cut them down further you just have more lines to put up. I have seen fencing put up on the ceiling to have more surface area to hang from.. But it’s not official until its clean and crispy :2cents:

krk

Also depends on if you trim like most people..Haircutters or if you do it right cutting each leaf at the stem..real nice for bag appeal...most people have know idea how to trim..98% of all buds I see here are "haircut"...the lazy mans way...Who wants to smoke or buy shitty trimmed buds, with little sticks in everything? Do it right takes 6-8 hrs per/lb if you got good bud.

bluebublelove

I figure if you can trim one gram to perfection in about a minute or over (this is a quick pace) then you can get through your whole load in about eight hours...

if you don't have the better part of a month to dedicate to a full time trimming job then I would look at one of the many techniques/products available to cut down on the time it takes to trim through a large quanity of bud.

whats plan b? picking someone up outside of a day laborers office??

good luck!

keke.nz

Well, I recently harvested, and with 2 other people we trimmed 2000grams wet in around hour and half.. So for one person it would be around 4-5 hours roughly. Not too bad but if your trimming 10-15lbs yourself your going to get some beauty blisters haha.

Good luck anyway bro.

Peace keke :joint:

beer batter

krk- exactly, keep some extra frisker floral snips in a cup of alcohol for when they gum up. I like the hash from the friskers and fingers; it’s got a lot of oil in it. Proper tools and technique are best, it helps having a change of clothes for the beer runs. I have used a mix of olive oil and dawn dish soap to wash off the stickiness -it leaves my hands smooth and less smelly then washing in rubbing alcohol, some folks disregard finger hash and use medical gloves to keep the smelly goo off.

nomaad

Veteran
krk- exactly, keep some extra frisker floral snips in a cup of alcohol for when they gum up. I like the hash from the friskers and fingers; it’s got a lot of oil in it. Proper tools and technique are best, it helps having a change of clothes for the beer runs. I have used a mix of olive oil and dawn dish soap to wash off the stickiness -it leaves my hands smooth and less smelly then washing in rubbing alcohol, some folks disregard finger hash and use medical gloves to keep the smelly goo off.

finger hash is ok when it is yours, but when its not, its potentially got a LOT of dead skin and finegrnail fungus etc from its maker in it. That kinda grosses me out. i am developing a fast hand-wash system. I am still experimenting a little, but i'm going to experiment with a hand-sanitizer and sand mixture. i like the way alcohol works, but hate the smell and the liquidity of it. hoping i get around this with hand sanitizer which is just a gelled form of alcohol.

bobblehead

Veteran
This is a bit of a loaded question, because some plants are leafier than others, some people don't trim as well as others, etc... Anyway, a pound takes a long f'in time. I take a lot of breaks. Normally when/if I have a minute to just sit there and watch tv, I trim. Wow, from the sounds of it, I could spend an entire week trimming a pound. lol... Probably 8 hours, give or take.

dirt farmer

Thanks for all the help. I was going to get help from my brothers. They landed a job in Alaska so they will be gone.

Plan B was to make a lie about my brothers grow and how he has to go to Alaska for a few years. The made up grow would be on the mountain. I would then tell a few close friends that the grow is now mine. And I will need there help. I just do not want them to know it was grown in my yard.

I could harvest the plants and bring them into my two car garage and they would never know.

Even this might be to much bullshit for me. I may just do it all myself. I have 6 plants 4 of them maybe 2to5 pounders. I have 2 potted plants that are a good pound or more.

The two potted plants will finish first. Maybe 2lbs

about a week later the 3 large g-13 will finish. Maybe 13lbs there

About a week after that the unknown strain should finish. Maybe 5lbs

These lbs are just a high end guess by me. I am going to update my thread :Dirt Farmers Backyard Giants" after this post. I think they least it will be is 10lbs to 20lbs max.

So you can see I got a little problem. I have grew for 6 years but never anything like this.

killa12345

personally it takes me about 3 days to trim about a lb worth of dry herb.....maybe 5-6 lb wet.....i usually work pretty hard....5 hour shift, usually friday, sat, and sun....I usually run iso washes the whole time im trimming! last two were saved for gumby and bubble though!

I usually give it a perfect trim the first trim....maybe i might find 5-6 leafs that might to be trimmed in a whole lb after it is dry....but i trim my herb the way i would want to buy it!....I want it perfect....because usually me and my very close friends are the only ones smokin it!

like many said there are many way to skin a cat....im investing in a trimpro for chrismas.....I personally love to grow herb....but trimming it sux!

Good luck....and for all those people who posted about 15-30 lbs of trimming....lmao....man i feel sorry for you...actually i dont....I envy you!

Killa

.clunk

I hang dry with fan leaves and everything on there, after around 5-7 days when everything's pretty crispy I just trim the fan leaves and any scragglies away until it looks "decent". Sure, it's still a bit leafy but it's commercial (goes to my buddy who gets rid of 100+ lbs a couple of provinces away where there isn't much growing going on so nobody is picky--as long as it's green it sells). If it's fairly dense colas I can do a pound in 5-6 hours or so this way, the popcorn takes alot longer.

I've been doing it this way for several years and I've perfected "my" technique. For me the extra effort of doing a "perfect" trim job isn't worth it--outdoor isn't worth jack shit around here and the difference between AAA outdoor and the stuff I trim up is only around $100/lb. I can't be bothered to spend hours and hours longer in the basement snipping away for a bit more money. I've tried and it just isn't worth it for me.

dirt farmer

I hang dry with fan leaves and everything on there, after around 5-7 days when everything's pretty crispy I just trim the fan leaves and any scragglies away until it looks "decent". Sure, it's still a bit leafy but it's commercial (goes to my buddy who gets rid of 100+ lbs a couple of provinces away where there isn't much growing going on so nobody is picky--as long as it's green it sells). If it's fairly dense colas I can do a pound in 5-6 hours or so this way, the popcorn takes alot longer.

I've been doing it this way for several years and I've perfected "my" technique. For me the extra effort of doing a "perfect" trim job isn't worth it--outdoor isn't worth jack shit around here and the difference between AAA outdoor and the stuff I trim up is only around $100/lb. I can't be bothered to spend hours and hours longer in the basement snipping away for a bit more money. I've tried and it just isn't worth it for me.

$100/lb ?????