What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Long Does It take to trim A Pound?

XIII

It really depends on how detailed you want to trim and how leafy the plants are.

With 4 experienced trimmers last run it took prolly 2.5 hours to do 20 oz's really well, no crystally leaves left. We even took a lot of time smoking (so much we lost scissors and such :joint:) so if you charge through it you can go faster.

If you're doing a good trim job of 15 pounds, consider taking down only what you can trim before the leaves start to dry. It becomes a pain to trim at that point.

-XIII

beer batter

I really don’t think washing in alcohol then drying off in a towel doest gets it all, I like to use olive or canola oil and dish/hand soap. The oil lifts the goo and the soap lifts the oil. I use one glove a lot of the time cause the hand holding the fiskars doesn’t get sticky, I'm right handed and my left elbow has painful hardware -that what I hold the stems with -keeping it in a comfortable position.

I would recommend you dry the stuff after taking at least some leaf off, then de-bone into a rubermaid bin or turkey bags-I like those, garbage bags work also. Bins are easier to stack, store/cure the buds before you can get to them and clean them more -I think long flat bins would be better making it easier to inspect the buds throughout storage. When you have space on the lines for more buds after de-boning dry branches you can think about what to harvest next, keep the drying space efficient -when the rains come you may think about harvesting a whole lot and need a way to keep it all organized but keep the work easy -I look go @ it w/2 steps, also I use sturdy twist ties or garbage bag ties to tightly seal the bags.

nobull56

ICMag Donor
We big leaf at the plant, Cut a hand full of limbs go set some place nice & cut all water leafs off. Hang until approaching ‘Snap’, and then cut into jars for even curing. This allows a lot more leeway on final trim timing. :joint:
We do our final trim on a Kief screen as all those bud leaf trychomes (now dry) will fall off & not make it to ice bags no mater what you do! We get about ¼ to ½ gram dry Kief per OZ or a pint jar per two to three pounds.
Make sure you keep your jars mold free & you will have all the time you need! Also some folks will want a jar or so un-cleaned if the ‘Cure’ smells nice &/or the price is right!! :woohoo:
For hand cleaning, try ‘Peanut Butter’, you will be surprised! What you do with the used peanut butter is your chouse.:party:

nomaad

Veteran
For hand cleaning, try ‘Peanut Butter’, you will be surprised! What you do with the used peanut butter is your chouse.:party:

this makes so much sense. i bet chunky works best. i just posted somewhere that i was going to try hand santizer and sand mixture. today i tried the hand sanitizer and it worked brilliantly. i was just washing off my forearms from working out in the garden. I wonder whether sand is even needed.

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
i did not read the whole thread.....but if you are by yourself....you going to need to do that thing in stages with 10-15 lbs, but so many variables as to time to trim it up...

to many variables to say how long for just one pound.....could have a pounder plant or tons little ones, or a couple wild willies with shit everywhere.....each type of plant may take differ amounts of time.......

Good Luck,,,,should be fun......can you get a auto trimmer of some sort?

ESCOknows

fastest was 5 hrs /lb bubba kush...... average is 7-8 and thats if you have dense nuggs.. any thing less then dense is gonna b over 8 and a pain in the ass.. dont worry dude, one year, it took me a month to trim 20+lbs. good luck and remember not to slouch, fucks up the back.

hamstring

Veteran
I hang dry with fan leaves and everything on there, after around 5-7 days when everything's pretty crispy I just trim the fan leaves and any scragglies away until it looks "decent". Sure, it's still a bit leafy but it's commercial (goes to my buddy who gets rid of 100+ lbs a couple of provinces away where there isn't much growing going on so nobody is picky--as long as it's green it sells). If it's fairly dense colas I can do a pound in 5-6 hours or so this way, the popcorn takes alot longer.

I've been doing it this way for several years and I've perfected "my" technique. For me the extra effort of doing a "perfect" trim job isn't worth it--outdoor isn't worth jack shit around here and the difference between AAA outdoor and the stuff I trim up is only around $100/lb. I can't be bothered to spend hours and hours longer in the basement snipping away for a bit more money. I've tried and it just isn't worth it for me.

Clunk’s statement best represents how I handle the trimming except I trim everything wet one time just hitting fans and small non-sugar leaves. I dry and I am done. (except breaking it down) I know I could get more for it if I trimmed it up real nice and probably should but not worth the extra handling in my mind. Time equals money.

I never really timed it but in the bush I can do 3lbs- 3.5lbs in around 14hrs not exactly sure it basically depends on the hours of daylight but I think 12 - 14hrs is correct for 3lbs but I wouldn’t brag about my trimming job.

I always wear latex gloves and clean scissors with alcohol and scrub pad seems to work fine.

PEACE

I hang dry with fan leaves and everything on there, after around 5-7 days when everything's pretty crispy I just trim the fan leaves and any scragglies away until it looks "decent". Sure, it's still a bit leafy but it's commercial (goes to my buddy who gets rid of 100+ lbs a couple of provinces away where there isn't much growing going on so nobody is picky--as long as it's green it sells). If it's fairly dense colas I can do a pound in 5-6 hours or so this way, the popcorn takes alot longer.

I've been doing it this way for several years and I've perfected "my" technique. For me the extra effort of doing a "perfect" trim job isn't worth it--outdoor isn't worth jack shit around here and the difference between AAA outdoor and the stuff I trim up is only around $100/lb. I can't be bothered to spend hours and hours longer in the basement snipping away for a bit more money. I've tried and it just isn't worth it for me.

Clunk’s statement best represents how I handle the trimming except I trim everything wet one time just hitting fans and small non-sugar leaves. I dry and I am done. (except breaking it down) I know I could get more for it if I trimmed it up real nice and probably should but not worth the extra handling in my mind. Time equals money.

I never really timed it but in the bush I can do 3lbs- 3.5lbs in around 14hrs not exactly sure it basically depends on the hours of daylight but I think 12 - 14hrs is correct for 3lbs but I wouldn’t brag about my trimming job.

I always wear latex gloves and clean scissors with alcohol and scrub pad seems to work fine.

PEACE

I am with ham and clunk, I trim only fan leaves and secondary fans (non-sugar). Takes only 5 hrs or so to do 16oz. Then I jar. I should say that I only grow for personal use. What is nice about this system is, I take out a jar, and do a final trim of all sugar leaves before being ground and consumed. I throw all this trim in a brown "lunch" bag to dry until I have about 1/2- 3/4 a bag (doesn't take long!). Then a quick freeze/card, and I have a constant supply of kief throughout the year. I am just finishing up 2007, and the kief just keeps gettin' tastier and tastier!! Just throwin' this out there for any caregivers/med patients. I know the thread is geared towards commercial growers.
Peace,
as

NEGT1

personally, 6-8 hours wet trim, once more when de-stemming and jarring to make sure no sugar leaf is on there.

mowood3479

Veteran
I have a buddy who's girl is a pro trimmer. He claimed 3 plus a day doin large od crops.
Doin my smaller nugd ins she only did 1.5 per day.
So it depends a lot on the herb, how tight of a trim u want n the experience/talent of the trimmer.
I average about 7-8 hrs a lb. or 2 oz n hr.
Fuck trimming btw. That shit blows

mowood3479

Veteran
Some of my buddies that I've hired are more in the 16hr a lb range.
All they wanna do is chat n watch movies. Gotta pay by the lb

TrimPal helped me trim up 30+ units this year in no time. Took me about a month to fully harvest everything. 8 hour days, 7 days a week. Took a couple days off for the Giants world series run. That includes carring the harvested material 1/2 mile to the shed, de-leafing sun leaves, hanging, drying, trimming, bagging. Great year for me personally, hope to double it next year.

BudToker

Veteran
Bonsai Heros FTW!

529298_268303123257225_100002326173504_608564_1189510656_n.jpg

http://www.bonsaihero.com/

I trim wet.

Most Sativas (~500 grams)
9 hours for a manual trim.
3 hours with the bonsai hero trimmers.

Most Indicas (~500 grams)
6 hours for a manual trim.
2 hours with the bonsai hero trimmers.

In other words the heros reduce my trim time by 66%.
They are well worth the asking price and I highly reccomend them!

Latest posts

Latest posts