What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Long Does It take to trim A Pound?

dirt farmer

I would like to ask how long it takes you to trim a pound? More interested in one single trim and then hang for final drying.

I am looking at 10lbs to 15lbs (when dried) of trimming and it's just me. I need some advice on this to see if I have to go to plan B.

Thanks Friends

dubite

Do you have any experience with it? It takes a decent amount of time and SHARP scissors to trim that much.

Curious about estimated times though from other forum members.

well im not very experienced at all, but from what i understand and have been told (been around growers for a long time) that it takes an entire day to trim a pound, maybe a little more than a day. but one day is like 10 hours or more of trimming. so.. itll take a while to trim your harvest.

G

Greyskull

i have a trimbox and i get thru an LB in about 3 hrs.... 4hrs if I am lazy and drinking haha

bterzz

Veteran
By myself, I tore down 12 plants one by one. I would cut a branch at the stalk, and rip off every fan leaf by hand.

From there I would take the branch I just stripped the leaves off of and cut any leaf that was sticking out semi-close. about 1/2 inch.

I then let my flowers dry for like 2 days, and go through each nug and peel apart the nug, and snip any LEAF that has a stem running out of it, connected to the main stem. At this day 2 point I feel the bud opens easily to snip off any stem leaf branching, and then closes up nice and tight before its fully done drying. I also trim off any leaf left as close to the bud as possible, after focusing on those suckers with stems.

All in all, it took me about 24 man hours to do everything by myself. I never weighed in but I would take a guess around 1.75 pounds. You do the math. 24 hours, excluding any restroom breaks or anything of that. Who knows how many breaks I had to take to eat. You get hungry out there trimming! and dizzy!

Picture 1: This is after I strip off the fan leaves, and cut off any remaining leaf to about 1/2 inch or longer. Just a quick haircut as im trying to strip them for drying

Picture 2: This is 2 days later. Much nicer haircut. They get a better de-leafing and trim

Picture 3: Trimmed, leafless, stemless (except for the big one down the middle, ofcourse :D ) pot ready for jars.

Picture 4: And finally, some finished product.

EDIT::WOW, I totally didnt know this was the outdoor section. I clicked on the threads on the right!

nomaad

Veteran
I am hoping for a pound per day from my trimmers. I have decided not to get a machine.

The Sherpa and I were tearing thru a pound-a-day with about 5 hours of work interspersed with lots of other work.

Also depends on the quality of your nug. If its larfy or popcorny its going to take much longer to do a good, non wasteful job of it. Much longer.

Ripshot

it would probably be easier if you did two trimmings. Thats how I do it. I'll go over them and remove any leaf that dosent have trichs on it. I drop all my fans at the patch to save time.

then i'll hang em and dry em, and get a couple buddies over to do a final manicure. I do about 4 lbs a season. it usually takes about 4 hours a session with scissors and 2-3 people.

nomaad

Veteran
so about 12 man-hours for the final trim... how many for the first trim? cuz if its around the same, 24 man-hours for 4 lbs would be 6 per pound which would be good.

I do know people who can trim more than 2 lbs/day... they are superstars around here. somebody on icmag wrote me saying they can do 5. I have heard such claims from others, but have never seen it with mine own eyes.

bubble_bobble

Depends what your definition of a trim is.

Personally, my trim is to cut off all fans and cut off all non-crystally parts of leafs, and leave all the nicely crystally parts of leafs in tact on the bud. I do this before drying.

Y

YosemiteSam

Takes me about 9-10 hours to do a pound. I ain't the best at it though, my attention span would have today's teachers looking to put me on Ritalin. That 10 hours typically includes one beer run plus some time to patch up a cut finger...don't know why but I cut one every single time.

15 lbs...I might never finish alone. Good luck, you got some work coming up.

Ripshot

Its really hard to say how long it should take. It would depend on quality of trim and type of bud as well as the amount of leaf.

I know If I had 15 lbs of outdoor to do myself, it would take me a week or more and I would only harvest a few lbs at a time.

Do you have to take it all in one go?

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
i trimmed out 23 oz's yesterday morning.........from 16 plantz.....finished...and cleanup in under 4 hrz........w/ NON-STOP hard work........all/by/my/self.......:2cents:

jackel

if i understand the question. ur asking how long it takes to trim a lb wet? and by that i mean, trim X amount to equal a dry lb.
if ur going to do a really tight wet trim and no final dry trim, its really hard to say. i would say it would take about 5 hours to hand trim wet bud to equal a dry lb.

B

boo

this is right at 2 pounds...took me over 12 hours of frenetic trimming to get it to the point of zero finger leaves...tight trim for primo nugs...all the tim went into iso oil so there is no waste...

Attachments

• stashjars 004.jpg
    stashjars 004.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 18

maxima32

i do not know guys it takes me two days to trim a half pound with my neck and back in serious pain after three hours i usually just do the full manicure first sit down , hang and let dry and then jar. maybe i am taking to much off. If i had to manicure ten pounds by myself it would take 7 days by myself. maybe 4 days with a buddy .

beer batter

20min an ounce, 3 ounces an hour; a pound every 5.4 hours.. given some brakes i smoke heavy at harvest and also have edibles, hash, ibuprofen liquigels and acetemetephen some times. its more of a problem doing one repetative thing for so long, it agrivates my back but ive done a pound and a 1/4-1/2 per day when working dry trim/cleaning for the hash bin.

beer batter is right on, usually takes 5-5.5 to trim an lb. For rookies, your probably looking at 6-9 hours depending on the buds you trim. Just figure out a good efficient system and you'll be good. This is for nice clean buds too.

If you want faster times, it is recommended to use a bonsai hero or trimpro.

Latest posts

Latest posts